Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clayton: Will Seahawks address issues on defense with change

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Clayton: Will Seahawks address issues on defense with changes in 2020?

Let’s look back at what went right and what went wrong.

• The simple part of the equation was the Seahawks ran out of gas because of injuries. They were down to their fourth tight end, fourth halfback, third-string guard and backup center. The Seahawks are a running football team but they lost the ability to run the football after season-ending injuries took away Rashaad Penny, Chris Carson and C.J. Prosise.

What was amazing was how Russell Wilson kept the play-action passing game going without the threat of the run. He ran the ball more in the final three games and did an exceptional job, almost pulling off comebacks against the 49ers and the Green Bay Packers.

Wilson was doing miracles with so many injury concerns around him.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/750556/c ... s-defense/
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• yeah I read this earlier today and thought it was a pretty good assesment. The NFL is always changing and a team has to be able to adjust to the situation. Seattle doesnt appear to do this.
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

• I hear people asking "Why didn't Russell run more, earlier in the season?"

Several reasons.

Keep your QB healthy. When he did run, he was getting cheap-shotted, and not getting the calls.

He had running backs to do that for him. Unlike a QB, they're built to take the punishment. QBs are built to throw the ball. And look at what happened to them. Do you want your franchise QB taking that kind of punishment? (Hello Clay Matthews).

The running game is what makes the play action go. So when all of our RBs got injured, and it was playoff time, Russell had no choice. He put himself at risk for the game, for his team, and for his fans.

Fortunately for us, Russell is very good at protect hing himself, by staying in shape, and by knowing when to get down on the ground. Something that Carson Wentz could learn from.

I've also heard people asking why we start slow. And it's a very good question. I think it may not be so much that we start slow, as the opposing team starts out with a game plan against us, and then we start wearing them down so that those runs get a little bit longer, and making in-game adjustments to what their game plan is.

But honestly, I would love to see us jump up 20 or 30 points like I see other really good teams do. Even so, those teams aren't always successful. Just look at the Texans.

I do have a feeling though, that next year we might be doing more of that. And, maybe "throwing the ball to open up the run."
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• morgulon1 wrote:yeah I read this earlier today and thought it was a pretty good assesment. The NFL is always changing and a team has to be able to adjust to the situation. Seattle doesnt appear to do this.

We definitely need an infusion of Defensive Speed and Talent.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• "Wilson was doing miracles with so many injury concerns around him."

And an infirmary ward between him and the rush. He took a lot of sacks though due to thinking about things instead of reacting quickly to incoming threat. Indecision will get him hurt one of these days.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• ivotuk wrote:
    morgulon1 wrote:yeah I read this earlier today and thought it was a pretty good assesment. The NFL is always changing and a team has to be able to adjust to the situation. Seattle doesnt appear to do this.

Big time. This will be everything moving foward. I think it's the defensive line.. needs upgraded
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

• QB's take a pounding standing in the pocket
    irfuben32
    NET Rookie

• Too bad they only let Wilson take over in the 2nd half
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• The other question is what you do with Lano Hill and Tedric Thompson knowing they are that far away from significant playing time.

Why is John Clayton even asking this question? The answer is obvious. Cut them. Draft their replacements in the later rounds.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

• Appyhawk wrote:
    He took a lot of sacks though due to thinking about things instead of reacting quickly to incoming threat. Indecision will get him hurt one of these days.

This is crazy talk. Everyone that has played football at almost any level will acknowledge that not a lot of thinking goes on once the ball is snapped. That's why you practice so everything becomes instinctual.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

• Crizilla wrote:Too bad they only let Wilson take over in the 2nd half

How did they do that? What did they do differently in the 2nd half than they did not do in the 1st half?
    Nunya_
    NET Bench Warmer

• As much as the slow starts concern me, I'm beginning to feel that Pete isn't capable of bringing the defense back to top 10. Not historically great, just top 10.

We had all our players against the Packers and the defense was $h!t in the first half, and overall this year awful. Certainly Clowney healthy for an entire year changes the picture, but my bigger concern is that Pete isn't showing signs of being able to draft safeties and corners as I thought he would. I used to say "no PC coached defense will be worse than average" but that balloon has popped for me.

Which is a problem, because with a top 10 D we're an SB contender this year even with Pete's offensive philosophy (which I personally don't mind, I just dislike his early game plans and lack of flexibility).
    hawk45
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Erebus wrote:
    The other question is what you do with Lano Hill and Tedric Thompson knowing they are that far away from significant playing time.

Why is John Clayton even asking this question? The answer is obvious. Cut them. Draft their replacements in the later rounds.

Yeah, there is nothing there to suggest they should be retained. We have 3 solid safeties and need to bring in new depth. Lano Hill looks slower than most LB's and even if he 'knows' the scheme he was routinely 3 steps late. I can't remember watching a less exciting player. TT proved he is incapable of running Pete's idea of FS, giving up easy deep passes for the first time in years and required a complete scheme change to cover 2 - which had Bobby getting picked on by speedy slot WR's in deep middle coverage.

Offseason -
    Go all in upgrading DL, start by retaining Clowney
    Upgrade Tre Flowers (I like Bryce Hall from Virginia) and bolster depth, getting more length and speed
    Hope Barton, Collier, and Amadi make big strides
    I doubt Pete will but I think Norton needs to be upgraded, he's 0/2 on DC chances so far. Good LB coach, sounds like players like him, defensive stats were horrendous.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Defensive changes...
    During one of his recent interviews Carroll intimated he intends to work on certain changes to our defense during this off season. He seemed apologetic that such things can't really be undertaken during the heat of seasonal play. He hinted that while nothing major should be expected he feels certain schematic changes might be appropriate due to changes in offense so many teams are bringing to the field of play. Said he is anxious to get to work on that project as soon as the upcoming Pro Bowl obligation is over.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• The Hawks need a new strong-willed Defensive Coordinator......period! That is step #1.
    Bigpumpkin
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

• Parts of the interview I mentioned above were just reposted in the maibag at www.Seahawks.com

""We were not consistent," he said. "Too many explosive plays of various natures. For the most part, we had problems on the edge. We had containment issues. We found that the offenses really put the ball on the perimeter against us a lot. That does challenge us in some ways. You'll see some things be adjusted in the course of the offseason for that. Just the style of offense that we were up against was a little bit different than it's been."

Asked what might be adjusted, Carroll said, "There'll be some of everything. A little bit of everything. We're going to work hard at it. Some of it will be going back to things we've done, some of the things will be moving forward. I'm really excited to go about it. It's difficult to adjust some things in the middle of the year."
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Appyhawk wrote:Parts of the interview I mentioned above were just reposted in the maibag at http://www.Seahawks.com

It's difficult to adjust some things in the middle of the year."

....but it seems so easy to fall back into the old habitual plays.
    Bigpumpkin
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

• Bigpumpkin wrote:The Hawks need a new strong-willed Defensive Coordinator......period! That is step #1.

Changing coaches may be a significant help, but it's not going to help much if they can't get serious improvement from players remaining on the roster and better players through the draft/free agency.

Diggs helps a lot, but the line doesn't even have two real pash rushers, much less a rotation. And that #2 CB situation is atrocious. The LBs are getting old.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• bmorepunk wrote:
    Bigpumpkin wrote:The Hawks need a new strong-willed Defensive Coordinator......period! That is step #1.

Changing coaches may be a significant help, but it's not going to help much if they can't get serious improvement from players remaining on the roster and better players through the draft/free agency.

Diggs helps a lot, but the line doesn't even have two real pash rushers, much less a rotation. And that #2 CB situation is atrocious. The LBs are getting old.

That’s why they need to NAIL this draft and FA. Easier said than done, but if they do, the sky is the limit.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• TreeRon wrote:
    Appyhawk wrote:
    He took a lot of sacks though due to thinking about things instead of reacting quickly to incoming threat. Indecision will get him hurt one of these days.

This is crazy talk. Everyone that has played football at almost any level will acknowledge that not a lot of thinking goes on once the ball is snapped. That's why you practice so everything becomes instinctual.

At least you spotted the problem. Watch the film 1st half GB, SF, Rams, for 3 recent examples. During the first half it is easy to see that Russ is planted, searching, waiting too long, then taking the sack. As the games progress he becomes more reactive. It's become a repetitive theme. Film doesn't lie.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Appyhawk wrote:
    TreeRon wrote:
    Appyhawk wrote:

At least you spotted the problem. Watch the film 1st half GB, SF, Rams, for 3 recent examples. During the first half it is easy to see that Russ is planted, searching, waiting too long, then taking the sack. As the games progress he becomes more reactive. It's become a repetitive theme. Film doesn't lie.

The main problem with this is simple, we do not have enough variations on the formations we run. The film that the opponents watch basically tip what we will run. Adjustments to what they are doing are taking too long, but to blame Pete for that is ridiculous. Brian Schottenheimer is the one that designs the plays and it is him that is not making adjustments as quickly as is needed. We need more route combinations from the same formation. It is funny that so many people here go, "Pete is hindering Wilson." We already know from his press conferences that Pete will say to the O-Coordinator whether he wants run or pass. That is the extent of it. The actual play is up to Schottenheimer. So, what we need is Schottenheimer to start the game with more variations on the formations that we run. Not one of the people that are taking shots at our offense has acknowledged that the defenses we are facing when "Russ takes over" are playing soft because they have a three score lead. Not one.

I find it hilarious that a good thread regarding our defense has once again devolved into the offense debate that rages in a few threads already. In regards to the defensive changes that need to be made is fairly easy. We need a better defensive line coach. I am not ready to give up on Norton, but if we are going to continue with base defense we need someone who can design better stunts and twists to get more pressure from the line. Reed only being healthy for four games definitely impacted the interior pass rush, but the fact is we need an infusion of talent there. It is interesting seeing what happened to Raekwon Davis' production after Reed was drafted by the Seahawks. It may very well mean that he would drop to us in the draft, perhaps day two, and uniting them could have a dramatic affect on our defense. Ford is a decent space eater, but he is not disruptive. Al Woods should not even be considered to get a new contract.

I am not down on Jefferson or Green, but we need to re-sign Clowney or maybe go after our old nemesis Robert Quinn in free agency or even a short term deal for Mario Addison. Neither Ansah or Jackson should be brought back. Looking at DE in the draft is disappointing honestly. It seems that there are only three guys who will be immediate impact players, which the Hawks absolutely need. We all know damn well that Schneider will not trade up to get any of them, but the only guy who might fall down to us that has talent to be impact but has a bit of injury history is Jon Grennard. There are a couple of younger pass rushers that are free agents and the most intriguing is Yannick Ngakoue who Jacksonville alienated with early negotiations. Word is that he will almost certainly be franchise tagged, but if he is not, I think it is time for us to finally jump into day one free agency and pony up the cash.

The back end is a concern, but I think that we have to focus on pressure more than anything else. The quarterback not having three plus seconds to pass will help the corners and safeties more than an influx of talent. We need to bring in competition in the mid rounds of the draft, but I want the early picks to improve the trenches.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

• hawk45 wrote:As much as the slow starts concern me, I'm beginning to feel that Pete isn't capable of bringing the defense back to top 10. Not historically great, just top 10.

We had all our players against the Packers and the defense was $h!t in the first half, and overall this year awful. Certainly Clowney healthy for an entire year changes the picture, but my bigger concern is that Pete isn't showing signs of being able to draft safeties and corners as I thought he would. I used to say "no PC coached defense will be worse than average" but that balloon has popped for me.

Which is a problem, because with a top 10 D we're an SB contender this year even with Pete's offensive philosophy (which I personally don't mind, I just dislike his early game plans and lack of flexibility).

Clowney was playing hurt, Jefferson broke his foot, Kendricks was on IR, Diggs was coming back from a high ankle sprain and not his usual play making self, Griffin was gutting out a hamstring issue, Woods was on suspension.

Not sure we had "all our players".

That being said I totally am on board with changes on D starting with coaching and moving onto DL. Need some more CB competition for Flowers and Amadi.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• First, a good defense will win you championships

Breaking down our defense into three differant groups. Front four, LBers, defensive backs.

First we have to stop the run, the front four. Keep J Clowney and Al Woods and maybe Jefferson. Rebuild the rest.

LBers, At this time resource are not needed here. Or save for a late pick.

Ok, now that we've made a one dimensional by stopping the run. Now we got to have some young guns with larcenous tendencys waiting to feed off the unwise.

Our draft should look like this.

1. DL
    2.DB
    3. OL
    4.DL
    5.DB
    6.TE

The tree needs a real good shaking. Lets do it.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

• Chawker wrote:First, a good defense will win you championships
    -snip-
    -snip-

Have to agree with nearly everything you said, except the LB bit.
    We DO need to hit on an awesome speedy LB or two. Bobby has lost half a step, maybe a couple more years of service, KJ wasn't fast to begin with, Kendricks is an unknown... The new guys show promise, Cody Barton, and we'll see about BBK. Pete's D needs FAST LBs. When Bruce Irvin and Darren Smith were here, along with Bobby, our LBs were faster than our RBs and darn near as fast as our WRs.

Yes, there are needs everywhere on this D. If we have a Cornelius Bennett or Lawrence Taylor fall to us in the draft, we better draft the dude. PC/JS, just make the picks count, learn the lessons from past failures.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• olyfan63 wrote:
    Chawker wrote:First, a good defense will win you championships
    -snip-
    -snip-

Have to agree with nearly everything you said, except the LB bit.
    We DO need to hit on an awesome speedy LB or two. Bobby has lost half a step, maybe a couple more years of service, KJ wasn't fast to begin with, Kendricks is an unknown... The new guys show promise, Cody Barton, and we'll see about BBK. Pete's D needs FAST LBs. When Bruce Irvin and Darren Smith were here, along with Bobby, our LBs were faster than our RBs and darn near as fast as our WRs.

Yes, there are needs everywhere on this D. If we have a Cornelius Bennett or Lawrence Taylor fall to us in the draft, we better draft the dude. PC/JS, just make the picks count, learn the lessons from past failures.

Dante Olson MLB Montana grizzlys enough said! Winner,winner chicken dinner. Boom baby.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

• I am going to be so glad when the Chiefs win the SuperBowl.

It will put to bed this ridiculously stupid assertion that you have to have an above-average defense or even a great defense to win a SuperBowl.

We didn't win the SB because great defense trumps great offense. We won because our best players were on defense and those players were leagues better than their best players. We had at least 3 HOF players on defense, with guys like Kam and Browner HOF quality. (Browner was the most physical and violent CB I have ever seen).

The defense needs some help but the real issue is the DC and the HC who insists on trusting his defense instead of focusing on where our team has the better players, the offense.

The Chiefs don't have a great defense, for much of the year they looked porous. But they will score 35+ on anyone, as we could/should be doing. Purists don't like it, but it is hard to argue with the results.

The issues on defense are overstated, we have a mediocre defense. With Diggs, we are not terrible - just not great. We do have a terrible DC and a HC holding onto delusions of the importance of great defense that hold us back. (I still don't like our OC but most of the 1st half struggles are likely on Carroll, not whatshisname)

When the Chiefs win, people that cling to needing great defenses as the only pathway to a SB victory will have to find another excuse.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• We never recovered from losing CLark. Even with him, we were a mediocre d.
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

• ivotuk wrote:
    morgulon1 wrote:yeah I read this earlier today and thought it was a pretty good assesment. The NFL is always changing and a team has to be able to adjust to the situation. Seattle doesnt appear to do this.

Seattle does this and we go back to the SB
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

• hawk45 wrote:As much as the slow starts concern me, I'm beginning to feel that Pete isn't capable of bringing the defense back to top 10. Not historically great, just top 10.

This is where I have been at for a while now. By mid year the defense was statistically worse once again for the 6th consecutive year. The team had more talent this year, than last year as well. Diggs > TT ; Clowney > Clark ; In shape Shaq > out of shape Shaq. 2nd year Flowers > Rookie Flowers. 2nd yr Poona > 1st yr Poona.

2018 Nickel > 2019 Nickel ; 2018 LB > 2019 LB ; 2018 Reed > 2019 Reed, but mostly spot for spot I would go with the 2019 player over the 2018 player. And Diggs is a massive upgrade over, TT, so 2019 wins by default.

But here we are, another season done, and the defense is worse.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Clayton will NEVER really challenge the coaching staff. That is his stock in trade, without access to them he doesn't have a job.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• morgulon1 wrote:yeah I read this earlier today and thought it was a pretty good assesment. The NFL is always changing and a team has to be able to adjust to the situation. Seattle doesnt appear to do this.

Pete said in the article he's open to scheme changes.

It's why we went out and got Diggs mid season, they saw what they were doing wasn't working.

I'm the first one to say Pete's stubborn in his philosophies, but if we're listing reasons as to why the defense wasn't good, personnel and talent are #1 and #2.

Bad D-line
    No edge rushers
    Flowers stinks
    not enough overall speed
    Hill and Thompson are terrible and slow

You can change scheme and tactics all day long, but if you don't have the talent, it doesn't matter what formation and scheme you're in.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Jeezus, Flowers doesn't stink. He was a revelation last year as a rookie and a year later he stinks???.

He definitely regressed but what about our D-Line. Only one team was WORSE. Combine that with Hill and Thompson and you get a secondary that was ASS.

Hill and Thompson should be C U T, immediately..Both have proven themselves, so cut them.

Get players in these spots. Let Blair play, quit pu$$y around with the experience excuse, let em play. Look at Bartons improvement after he got time. Same with Collier.

We are dependent on a good FS. Diggs is that guy but he's not even 200 pounds, if they want to play single high, a backup capable of playing needs to be had.

Also and more importantly we saw after the Coleman vacancy the value of slot CB. Get these done and of course...GET D-Line Edge. Let Reed walk and replace him cheap and spend the money on EDGE !!!!!!!!!!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sgt. Largent wrote:You can change scheme and tactics all day long, but if you don't have the talent, it doesn't matter what formation and scheme you're in.

I think it's a combination of the two. The 49ers went from 4-and-12 to a Super Bowl favorite in one single year. How did they do that? They added some pieces but they also revised their schemes to match their players ala Belichick style.

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-f ... 95184.html
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• The 9ers SUCKED FOR YEARS is how they did it. All of their D-Line were 1st round picks because they STUNK..

We will never get those picks because we don't stink but people here want Pete fired. Can't have it both ways and the salary cap is huge for teams like us and that is why with our cap and draft picks THIS YEAR, they need to nail it and not worry about some stupid scheme change.

If there is any change for scheme it's the offense.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• 49ers had a BUNCH of 1st rounders on D, along with adding a few pieces. But make mistake about it, they did it thru the draft. But this is about the Hawks.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• On D this year the draft isn't the place.

The offense is the focus of this draft. Tons of very good WR's, and more importantly for the Hawks, A LOT of very good OL.

We have a first , 2 seconds, a 3rd, and 2 4ths, a 5th and a 6th.

Many good OL to be had a C, and G (areas of need and F.A.)

This is a pivital year for the Hawks on drafting OL.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Big time. You can't get enough guys on both sides of the lines imo. Especially O Line.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Fade wrote:
    hawk45 wrote:As much as the slow starts concern me, I'm beginning to feel that Pete isn't capable of bringing the defense back to top 10. Not historically great, just top 10.

This is where I have been at for a while now. By mid year the defense was statistically worse once again for the 6th consecutive year. The team had more talent this year, than last year as well. Diggs > TT ; Clowney > Clark ; In shape Shaq > out of shape Shaq. 2nd year Flowers > Rookie Flowers. 2nd yr Poona > 1st yr Poona.

2018 Nickel > 2019 Nickel ; 2018 LB > 2019 LB ; 2018 Reed > 2019 Reed, but mostly spot for spot I would go with the 2019 player over the 2018 player. And Diggs is a massive upgrade over, TT, so 2019 wins by default.

I'm at the same place as well. There is no reason the defense shouldn't have been better this year.
    austinslater25
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• "we had all of our players"...Hahaha we had Clowney (playing injured) and no other DE capable of pressure. We had a rookie starting at LB. We had no Al Woods in the middle....We were Not at full strength. The defense was so obviously undermanned and it isn't even an argument.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• DomeHawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:You can change scheme and tactics all day long, but if you don't have the talent, it doesn't matter what formation and scheme you're in.

I think it's a combination of the two. The 49ers went from 4-and-12 to a Super Bowl favorite in one single year. How did they do that? They added some pieces but they also revised their schemes to match their players ala Belichick style.

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-f ... 95184.html

How'd the Niners do it? Lol.

9ERS 2019 DRAFT PICKS
    First round (2): DE Nick Bosa, Ohio State
    Second round (36): WR Deebo Samuel, South Carolina
    Third round (67): WR Jalen Hurd, Baylor
    Fourth round (110): P Mitch Wishnowsky, Utah
    Fifth round (148): LB Dre Greenlaw, Arkansas
    Sixth round (176): TE Kaden Smith, Stanford
    Sixth round (183): T Justin Skule, Vanderbilt
    Sixth round (198): CB Tim Harris, Virginia

VETERAN ADDITIONS
    -- LB Kwon Alexander (UFA: Tampa Bay): 4 years/$53.5 million, $14.25 million guaranteed
    -- LB Dee Ford (trade; Kansas City): 5 years/$85 million, $19.75 million guaranteed
    -- RB Tevin Coleman (UFA; Atlanta): 2 years/$8.5 million, $5.25 million guaranteed
    -- CB Jason Verrett (UFA; L.A. Chargers): 1 year/$3.6 million, $1 million guaranteed
    -- LB David Mayo (UFA; Carolina): 2 years/$2.5 million, $1.1 million guaranteed
    -- WR Jordan Matthews (UFA; Philadelphia): 1 year/$2 milllion, $300,000 guaranteed
    -- OL Ben Garland (UFA; Atlanta); 1 year/$805,000
    -- DT Cedric Thornton (reinstated off reserve/retired list)
    -- C Wesley Johnson (UFA; Dolphins): 1 year/$805,000
    -- LB LaRoy Reynolds (UFA; Eagles): 1 year/ $805,000
    -- TE Levine Toilolo (UFA; Lions): 1 year/$805,000

Not a bad off season huh when you can add Bosa, Samuel, Greenlaw and 4-5 impact free agents.........to go with your prior 4-5 years of nothing but 1st and 2nd round picks all over your roster.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• There ya go, the 2nd pick in the draft (Bosa). Couple that with Buckner. #7 overall, Armstead #17 OVERALL, Thomas #3 overall...Get the picture?

Well, Armstead is now a FA. And may become a Seahawk
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• btw, I'm not saying Pete isn't stubborn with scheme.

Saleh and Shanahan had Sherman following Adams all over the field last weekend, and Pete and Norton refused to let Griffin do that against GB, and he destroyed Flowers.

So there's definitely room for improvement. But if we're dividing up what's wrong with the defense, scheme is WAY behind talent.

Elite: Wagner, Clowney
    Above Average: Wright, Diggs, Griffin
    Average: Jefferson, Reed, McDougald
    Below Average to Terrible: Everyone else

That's it, you can't tell me it's scheme when we need at LEAST 3-4 more elites on that list before our defense gets back to dominating and giving us a real shot at winning another SB.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• I want to argue with you but I can't really find anything to disagree with. :)
    austinslater25
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• It's easy. EDGE. We had an injured EDGE that kicked ass in spite of his injury.

We had ZERO other EDGE rushers. In other words, NOBODY could rush from the outside opposite Clowney.

ummm, DO YOU SEE A PROBLEM??

So Obviously signing Clowney is a MUST. Signing another distruptive and QUICK DE is also a must. Both will be F.A.

Whomever they get, it will be better than what we had in 2019. (hopefully)
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• austinslater25 wrote:I want to argue with you but I can't really find anything to disagree with. :)

Mrs. Largent is that you?
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    austinslater25 wrote:I want to argue with you but I can't really find anything to disagree with. :)

Mrs. Largent is that you?

Yours or mine...Hahahaha
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• austinslater25 wrote:
    Fade wrote:
    hawk45 wrote:As much as the slow starts concern me, I'm beginning to feel that Pete isn't capable of bringing the defense back to top 10. Not historically great, just top 10.

I'm at the same place as well. There is no reason the defense shouldn't have been better this year.

I don't know that I agree but a 6 year slide is a significant thing. Needs to be turned around to middle of the pack next year. More damned speed!!
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Lords of Scythia wrote:We never recovered from losing CLark. Even with him, we were a mediocre d.

Losing Clark was NOT our problem. Clowney more than made up for him. And we got some nice draft picks.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:44 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information