About this "horrible" defense,

renofox

Reaction score
So far (TNF and early Sunday games):

Winners: 33, 49, 35, 31, 38, 31, 31, 31, 37; avg 35.1

Losers: 25, 38, 29, 23, 31, 17, 21, 23, 28; avg 26.1

So today, Seattle Offense scored less than winners' average and Defense allowed less than losers' average.

Only 2/18 teams allowed less points than Seattle.

This high scoring crap is just amazing but it is what the NFL has been looking for.

This defense may look bad, and it definitely needs to improve before post-season, but I have confidence we'll see steady improvement this season.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
So, what I gather from this is our offense is struggling & we should panic & fire everybody involved.

Am I doing this right?

sutz

Reaction score
Would love to force a few punts on D, but hard to complain too much about 4-0.

getnasty

Reaction score
This was old school bend but don’t break and keep the ball in front. I'm wondering if there not trying to do to much with Adams which is leading to giving up big plays on the back end. Certainly fun to watch him get after the quarterback but pick your spots and let him play the back end too.

sutz

Reaction score
getnasty":3rcjfd3d said:
This was old school bend but don’t break and keep the ball in front. I'm wondering if there not trying to do to much with Adams which is leading to giving up big plays on the back end. Certainly fun to watch him get after the quarterback but pick your spots and let him play the back end too.
Adams didn't play today. ;)

OP
OP
renofox

renofox

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":7838m18u said:
So, what I gather from this is our offense is struggling & we should panic & fire everybody involved.

Am I doing this right?

Yep :smilie=angry016.gif: :bitenails: :cussing:

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
sutz":29wtz5ot said:
getnasty":29wtz5ot said:

That's not what he's saying. He's wondering if the way Adams is used is to blame in the other games.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
I think the only thing horrible about this defense is the opponents 3rd down conversion 52%. If they clean that up to anywhere near league average the rest of the defense #’s should improve bigly.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":3dwes0n5 said:
I think the only thing horrible about this defense is the opponents 3rd down conversion 52%. If they clean that up to anywhere near league average the rest of the defense #’s should improve bigly.

Nope!!!!

Panic & fire everybody mid-season or, better yet, mid-game is the correct answer.

Chapow

Reaction score
Seems like some people here care a lot more about yards allowed than points allowed, but I feel like holding the opposing team to 15 points for the first 58 minutes of a 60 minute game is pretty decent. Kinda sucks to give up that (very) late TD, but we were up by 16 with less than 2 minutes remaining in the game at that point, and as has already been pointed out, even with that late TD there are still only 2 teams that allowed less points than we did this week (so far).

getnasty

Reaction score
sutz":1vjtxocx said:
getnasty":1vjtxocx said:

I know that and they didn't give up the big play perhaps because our 2nd saftey was blitzing on every play.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We played Miami....

Even so, we could barely force a punt.

This is the opposite of a bend but not break defense.

If we don't get a TO, the other team scores.

That is terrible, even in a win.

And don't tell me you weren't terrified at the end of the game if we didn't covert that 3rd down.

If we gave the ball back to them with a 1 TD lead, they were certainly going to get into the red zone.

It isn't a good defense. Though we did get some TOs. Is that the tradeoff?

Rat

Reaction score
"Horrible" is probably an exaggeration, but there have been a lot of issues in pass coverage. Hopefully getting Jamal and Dunbar back helps, and maybe some injury luck going ahead.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
You could also point out they are getting a ton of passing yards because our 'worthless D Line' is so GOOD against the run we are forcing them them to throw it. I think we were 2nd against the run (in the league) going into this game, and we have outgained every one of our opponents in run yardage gained.
It's always a good thing if you can take something away from an offence and make them one dimensional.

warden

Reaction score
Pete Caroll’s teams always get better as the season progresses. No pre season games combined with all the injuries, this is a rear opportunity t develops our players who have not played much. In the long run, we will be a better team because of what is going on now. We don’t need to eat playing our best football in September just need to get wins and develops your team. 4 and 0 for our joy the second time in team history is outstanding. If the Whiners lose today, we will have a two game lead o our division opponents

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Appyhawk":3tp8gdwq said:
You could also point out they are getting a ton of passing yards because our 'worthless D Line' is so GOOD against the run we are forcing them them to throw it. I think we were 2nd against the run (in the league) going into this game, and we have outgained every one of our opponents in run yardage gained.
It's always a good thing if you can take something away from an offence and make them one dimensional.

You could also argue that's more a product of the offense lighting up the scoreboard and forcing the other team to throw to keep up. Or why run the ball when there's easy yardage to get in the passing game? I think it's more the former than the latter or your reason.

Chapow

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1khjep81 said:
We played Miami....

I disagree. I don't think keeping the opposing team out of the end zone until there's less than 2 minutes remaining in the game is terrible. I think we're going to win the vast majority of games if we can do that. Even if we give up 5 FGs (for a whopping 15 points).

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Seemed to be like the goal today was not giving up big pass plays. If so mision accomplished. I don't know if it was all the. defence taking that away or playing Fitzpatrick vs the better QBs so far this year. The only thing maddening about that style was the 3 or so times Fitzpatrick ran up the middle for the first down. I would have thought even with everyone dropping back in coverage they would be fast enough to prevent that.

Still not enough pass rush and the few times we brought a LB they didn't get close imo.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":62vcgj4y said:
We played Miami....

And don't tell me you weren't terrified at the end of the game if we didn't covert that 3rd down.

If we gave the ball back to them with a 1 TD lead, they were certainly going to get into the red zone.

Did someone somewhere say they were good?

Or are you creating a strawman.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1kkrlz0u said:
We played Miami....

Nope, even if they held the Seahawks 2 inches from the first down, Pete would have gone for it on the 4th, KNOWING that Russell & his boys would have gotten it anyway. :stirthepot: