Thoughts on the 4th and 3?

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I like Pete being aggressive from that area outside the opposing 35 yd line when the FG is tougher but I thought that 4th and 3 was a curious call. Assuming Meyers makes it, would have made it a 7 point lead and not like it was 4th and less than a yard or something. I would liked taking the 3 there.

Speaking of 4th downs, I am thinking had that last one been ruled short, Pete would have gone for it. I liked the odds of Carson getting it there.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I wanted Pete to go the the FG. I'm guessing that he regretted his decision.

BChawkfan

Reaction score
I think it was the wrong call. I thought we should have kick the FG in that situation.
I also thought we should have put up 40+ points on the Fins

PNW

Reaction score
Personally I loved it. Russ lives for those moments, I’ve never had so much confidence and I feel kinda crazy saying that but I truly believe in Russ, it’s almost like watching MJ in his prime I freaking love it!!!

Mad Dog

Reaction score
4th and 4 or less should be an automatic go every time in the first half. In the second half you can be more selective. Or inside your 40.

Totally the right call and will work out in your favor more often than not if you have a good qb..

For years we’ve asked Pete to embrace analytics. You cant have it both ways.

irfuben32

Reaction score
take the points,tack on 3 more there

that could have been a big momentum swing

Fade

Reaction score
Normally I would say go for it, but up to that point they had been way too inconsistent on offense, I didn't trust them. A FG makes it a seven point game. I was shocked to see Pete going for it there.

sutz

Reaction score
With our D? Take the points. We had a lead, we extended it. :2thumbs:

CostaRicaHawk

Reaction score
If we would of made it, I would have wanted them to go for it!

But since they didn't make it, I wanted them to take the points!

Am I making my point?

Is anybody ever happy?

:irishdrinkers:

That is what cooking looks like!

HawkerD

Reaction score
it looked at the time this was going to be a FG fest and thought tacking on 3 would have been good. It sucked they didn't get it.

when the FG is a gimme you have to give more consideration to kicking it when it is a 50+ yd FG then going for it might make more sense.

I am not sure 4th and 3 is an auto go for it. 4 and 2 maybe because a run play can usually get you 2 and the D has to be ready for anything. 4th and 3 you are likely passing the the D knows it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hated it be honest, take the points. Between that and the pick later, they left some points on the board for sure.
I like the aggressiveness of this team. But at some point you're getting a little stingy. Take the 3 and have something to show for a nice drive. Especially in a close game.

themunn

Reaction score
We were 10 for 10 in red zone td visits before that. The call made sense to me, run the hot hand while you have it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I get why they did it. I just wanted the points, which was the question. Shoot, they hadn't missed out in the red zone all season, twice yesterday. Credit to the Dolphins defense, made solid plays both times.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
I don't mind the aggressiveness...although the 3 would have been smart. I just think that the playcalling on the 4th and 3 was off. Ogbah was in Russ's face a lot yesterday, Shotty needs a better play on 4th and short.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That FG, even w/the pick later in the end zone, makes the game a lot more comfortable. Shoot, they were up 16 late in the 4th quarter, so the game wasn't in doubt imo. But, add that easy FG and you're up 19 later. It would have been huge at that point imo. Again, I love the aggressiveness, it helped them score at the end of the half, and they've had some huge 4th down conversions. But, sometimes you gotta' look at how the game is going. I think taking the points there and not getting too stingy would have been better. Just my own opinion.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think in the moment it was probably smarter to take the 3 even though I loved the call personally so I can understand why people see it that way. I think for me I'm just looking big picture and I like that the staff seems to be much more aggressive overall like we saw at the end of the half. So taking a step back I like that our tendency is to be aggressive if that makes sense.

sutz

Reaction score
Failing on 4th and goal is probably almost as much of a momentum changer as a turnover.

I know everybody loves the "aggressive" angle, but what followed?

from https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/game ... mebook.pdf

4-3-MIA 18 (4:52) (Shotgun) R.Wilson sacked at MIA 25 for -7 yards (E.Ogbah).
Miami Dolphins at 4:45
1-10-MIA 25 (4:45) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short left to M.Gaskin to MIA 34 for 9 yards (T.Flowers; K.Wright).
2-1-MIA 34 (4:01) R.Hunt reported in as eligible. R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short right to A.Shaheen (B.Wagner).
3-1-MIA 34 (3:57) R.Fitzpatrick pass short right to C.Cox to MIA 37 for 3 yards (R.Neal). P8
1-10-MIA 37 (3:19) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short left to D.Smythe to MIA 49 for 12 yards (C.Barton; R.Neal). P9
1-10-MIA 49 (2:36) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick sacked at MIA 46 for -3 yards (sack split by A.Rush and B.Mone).
Two-Minute Warning
2-13-MIA 46 (2:00) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass deep middle to D.Parker to SEA 33 for 21 yards (Q.Diggs) [P.Ford]. P10
1-10-SEA 33 (1:20) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short middle to I.Ford [Da.Moore].
2-10-SEA 33 (1:15) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short left to D.Parker to SEA 27 for 6 yards (T.Flowers; Q.Diggs).
3-4-SEA 27 :)34) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete deep right to J.Grant [B.Mayowa].
4-4-SEA 27 :)29) J.Sanders 45 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-B.Ferguson, Holder-M.Haack.
It could have been a game changer, in a bad way.