Can someone explain to me why?

Throwdown

Reaction score
Why in the hell is JS so adverse to paying good players at a premium position? Yeah I’m talking about the Clark trade. We traded Clark and ended up with a zero impact replacement in Collier. We could’ve still had Metcalf in the first round and it’s a horrifying idea they thought drafting LJ Collier and sitting and hoping for a chance at Metcalf was a better idea.

Something is wrong.

W

Welshers

Because there is no money left to do so with the cap. Russel (rightfully) has a giant contract. But the truth is teams with huge QB contracts have not won Super Bowls as of late. The successful teams have been guys with rookie contracts like KC with Mahomes so they can put more money elsewhere. Brady took pay cuts in New England for this reason. It's also how Philly won the Super Bowl, Wentz was on a rookie contract and they wern't paying Foles much. Paying our QB so much makes it hard to pay other positions. We couldn't afford Clark. Now the defense obviously needs to be better, but it's going to be hard getting stars with our current contract structures.

Now I'm not saying we shouldn't have paid Wilson. We needed to and we did. It means we will have consistent winning seasons. But it also makes winning an SB and building a balanced team hard.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Exactly. Back when he opted to trade Russell Wilson instead of paying him, this was especially apparent.

olyfan63

Reaction score
We got to have a draft because of the picks from the Clark trade. KC got their Superb Owl with Mahomes on a rookie contract, where they could afford to pay Clark. We couldn't afford him. Clark helped get KC over the top.