Russell Wilson vs Heavy Blitzing defenses

strohmin

Reaction score
I have been watching Russell since his rookie season and one thing I believe is that Russell has not improved against defenses that blitz like crazy. I never see any pre-snap adjustments from him like you would from qbs like Tom Brady, Rodgers etc. If he is making pre-snap adjustments then it doesn't seem to be the right adjustments because someone is always coming through. I used to believe that Pete was the one stopping Russ from making those adjustments but I have a hard time believing that would still be the case after 8 years. This goes all the way back to Russell's first game which was against Arizona. I understand that when a team can pressure you with the front 4 then there is not much any qb can do about it. However, I have noticed that Russell doesn't seem to burn teams that rely heavily on blitzing to bring pressure like other QBs can. Is it just him being stubborn and wanting the big play every time or is he just unable to handle blitzes?

xray

Reaction score
I'm a trenches fan . The OL has been Wilson's baggage to carry since day one . He's older fatter and slower too . That's life . :D

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
The last four games have revealed a chink in Russel's armor.......susceptibility to the "blitz". His OL is not consistent enough for him to take the time for those long developing plays. IMO.....he has to revert to the quick passes. He also needs a "running game" for a balanced attack.

hoxrox

Reaction score
strohmin":7vvr9727 said:
Is it just him being stubborn and wanting the big play every time or is he just unable to handle blitzes?

Russ has always been an impatient player - he wants to make chunk plays as much as possible. So he will miss or even ignore the hot route. Sometimes he will take the sack instead of throwing the ball away. This has always been his style, even when we had a good defense...

His ability to extend plays is a strength, but can also be a weakness when he is not decisive.

John63

Reaction score
God the complete crap some on here make up now that Wilson had a few bad games and they can come out of hiding.

John63

Reaction score
strohmin":2sivhi9e said:
I have been watching Russell since his rookie season and one thing I believe is that Russell has not improved against defenses that blitz like crazy. I never see any pre-snap adjustments from him like you would from qbs like Tom Brady, Rodgers etc. If he is making pre-snap adjustments then it doesn't seem to be the right adjustments because someone is always coming through. I used to believe that Pete was the one stopping Russ from making those adjustments but I have a hard time believing that would still be the case after 8 years. This goes all the way back to Russell's first game which was against Arizona. I understand that when a team can pressure you with the front 4 then there is not much any qb can do about it. However, I have noticed that Russell doesn't seem to burn teams that rely heavily on blitzing to bring pressure like other QBs can. Is it just him being stubborn and wanting the big play every time or is he just unable to handle blitzes?

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFLMatchup/status/1184151724535304192

Wrong

rcaido

Reaction score
John63":1jztfl4e said:
strohmin":1jztfl4e said:

Wrong

Thanks for that. Wilson has always been one of the best against the blitz. Where are all these Wilson haters coming from?

John63

Reaction score
rcaido":2fx82n5v said:
John63":2fx82n5v said:
strohmin":2fx82n5v said:

Wrong

Thanks for that. Wilson has always been one of the best against the blitz. Where are all these Wilson haters coming from?

They have always been there but when he is playing well they lurk waiting to pounce. Once, he starts playing well again they will disappear again.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I think some of those numbers are a bit inflated. I've always noticed when teams run zone blitzes, and other exotic schemes he seems to struggle. The Rams do it quite frequently, and other teams have followed suite this season. I'm curious as to what his abilities are to check plays at the LOS are. He definitely has not had any time with how slow our team gets to the LOS. He really has zero time to do adjustments.

I also know he isn't a field general like say Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Some of his audibles earlier in the season were not very good. He also hasn't had much opportunity to develop that under Carroll and his scheme where he controls everything with an iron fist. I think we're never going to see Wilson's true potential under Carroll. I think Schottenheimer should be given more of a free reign to run the offense. His play calls were amazing earlier in the season.

John63

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":29snpcnc said:
I think some of those numbers are a bit inflated. I've always noticed when teams run zone blitzes, and other exotic schemes he seems to struggle. The Rams do it quite frequently, and other teams have followed suite this season. I'm curious as to what his abilities are to check plays at the LOS are. He definitely has not had any time with how slow our team gets to the LOS. He really has zero time to do adjustments.

I also know he isn't a field general like say Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Some of his audibles earlier in the season were not very good. He also hasn't had much opportunity to develop that under Carroll and his scheme where he controls everything with an iron fist. I think we're never going to see Wilson's true potential under Carroll. I think Schottenheimer should be given more of a free reign to run the offense. His play calls were amazing earlier in the season.

Hmm so I shown link with facts and you provide......nothing. got it. As to never knowing what Wilson is really capable of under Carroll. We did for the first 5 games. Then we went back to long developing plays, snapping it with time running out, etc etc

rcaido

Reaction score
Bro stop it already...Wilson has been in the top 3 against Blitz the past 3 seasons...

2019 #2 132.9
2018 #2 127.3
2017 #3 109.3
2015 #6 109.7
2014 #1

I couldn't find 2016 but you can see a pattern, he is one of the best against the blitz.

Smellyman

Reaction score
It's either Schotty or Wilson. Can we check out of things, more hot reads, get the TEs and RBs more involved, actually have RW keep an RO once in a blue moon, misdirection etc.

Quit with the go deep and chuck and duck O

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Smellyman":1i9dh5n6 said:
It's either Schotty or Wilson. Can we check out of things, more hot reads, get the TEs and RBs more involved, actually have RW keep an RO once in a blue moon, misdirection etc.

Quit with the go deep and chuck and duck O

With all the talk about RW vs. the blitz , how bad he's playing, concussed or not, pressing or not, etc...could it be this...which I think points at Schotty a bit more than Wilson? Kind of the same thing as many are talking about with the D....scheme, game-planning, creativity, adjustments, etc.

If it's really ALL Wilson - are we saying he is ignoring the effective and creative play calling - and constantly choosing bland, predictable, an ineffective plays through audible or selfishly hanging onto the ball?

Yes - there is plenty of blame to be shared - but could we please employ some coaches / coordinators who can creatively game-plan to the talents and strengths of the actual players and not try to fit players into some mold of days gone by?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
John63":1i39oais said:
strohmin":1i39oais said:

Wrong

In fairness, this thread is about Wilson vs heavy blitzing defenses, not just the blitz in general.

themunn

Reaction score
Wilson has always been great against the Blitz although he does take his fair share of sacks which don't show up in QB rating.

I don't know about this year but it doesn't look like any of his interceptions in the last 4 games came against heavy blitzes - possibly 5 rushers but I don't think any more than that.

Edit: just checked using my post in another thread - only the 2nd interception against the Cardinals did they rush more than 5 (7) - but he escaped the pocket and had a clean throw in Metcalf's direction, was just badly off target.

All others sent either 4 or 5 and to be honest he was pretty clean in all of them - the first Rams interception he had nobody around him!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, maybe if they actually ADJUSTED for once. They could counter it with a quick passing game, screen passes, fly sleeps, actually running the ball etc. They don't adjust, and it's getting old.
As far as Russ vs. the blitz, it's just another in a line of things people claim he can't do. Meh, he's fine against the blitz. His swiss cheese o-line, pathetic play calling and/or a lack of adjustments are a much bigger issue. Just my opinion....

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I know it's just one play but I specifically remember a break down of Russ reading blitz and beating it for the game winning TD vs the Packers 2 years ago. Some of the numbers guys out there would know this but is it just that the Cardinals were the first time to try blitzing Russ and it worked, or is it once Carson and Hyde went out, teams aren't worried about the threat to run so they're pinning their ears back and focusing on rushing the passer, and blitzing too. Compound that with inexperience at RB so the blitz pickup isn't as good either.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete and Russ both like those deep throws, but sometimes you have to take what the D gives you. Russell was more willing to check down or get yards with his feet against the Cards in the last game. He took fewer chances with holding the ball too long or trying very low-risk passes. As a result, he didn’t give up turnovers the way he had the previous few games.

No QB is perfect. Russ is a future Hall of Famer, but even he needs to reevaluate his play now and then. Being willing to do that is part of the reason he’s so good.