WFT's D. WTF?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
(Honestly I can't even recall if WTF is allowed or not on the main forum these days. If not, my apologies, feel free to edit. Just thought the reference was mildly funny).

This defense of Washington's is legit, legit, legit. That defensive front is already giving Russell nightmares I can assure you that. Chase Young is simply ridiculous. I am trying to mentally prepare myself that we may look like our offense from a few weeks back versus this past Sunday. The Jets were definitely just what they and we needed to feel better about ourselves, but it's Fool's Gold if we expect a similar performance against this defense.

Before I offer up my Fearless Prediction thread this Wednesday, talk me off the ledge here. Alex Smith may not play which is beneficial. And the 9ers with their backup is clearly not Russell, DK, Carson and Lockett. There's some pros here I get. But that D! <<<shiver>>>

Talk me down peeps.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It's a perfectly reasonable ledge to be on. Their defensive line is death row. It's gonna take a solid offensive gameplan this week

balakoth

Reaction score
I find it funny that after the SF Game WFT D is now "legit"

Their stats came against the browns and the giants.

Woof....

Not saying our team is great, but... seriously?

Reaction score
That Washington defense is scary... as scary as the grass at Fedex Field. It won't be easy but I have a funny feeling the Hawks may just pull it off. Russ and Schotty will need to be on point.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
balakoth":2pryrwzq said:

Woof....

Browns are 9-4? What’s that supposed to mean? Giants kicked our butts after travelling cross country. Did u not see WFT play the Steelers? Seahawks have played a more cupcake schedule than them and our best win was probably the Dolphins ... Woof

WFT has been the Top ranked defense the last 4 weeks and overall on the season ranks Top 3. The best pass defense and a top 10 run defense

Bobblehead

Reaction score
balakoth":9rnclqkq said:

Woof....

It's been legit for quite awhile,, way before the SF game.. nobody knew or cared since they didn't have any sort of offense.

sutz

Reaction score
Their defense is legit, but so is ours. I said in another thread that I think we can win this game with 20-24 points. I think we can do that. If our D doesn't give up 30 we should be just fine. I think they can hold WFT to 17 -20. So, we good.

:snack:

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
SF would have won that game had it not been for the 14 points they gave up on defensive turnovers.

Mullens held the ball too long. That's also a liability with Russ. I guarantee that by the time we're yelling "THROW THE..." Young/Sweat will already be in Russ' face. Throw the ball away if you have to.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Quick passes. Run the ball.
Wilson needs to get rid of the ball quick or he's going to get hit. A lot.

This WFT sort of reminds me of the 2011 Seahawks. We were 4-7, but that Thursday night game vs the "dream team" Vince Young led Eagles showed us something. Our D was legit. Our running game was lethal. We were just missing a QB to be a contender. That's exactly where the WFT is at imo.

Alex Smith's story is inspiring, and it's unfortunate he re injured that knee. Dwayne Haskins hasn't shown them much.

What I'm trying to get at is the WFT is a QB away from being a contender in the NFC. Their D line is ridiculous, and their running game is solid. Antonio Gibson is a future star at running back. He also has a toe injury so I'm not sure if he's going to play.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Jerhawk":a9352ivv said:
Quick passes. Run the ball.
Wilson needs to get rid of the ball quick or he's going to get hit. A lot.

This WFT sort of reminds me of the 2011 Seahawks. We were 4-7, but that Thursday night game vs the "dream team" Vince Young led Eagles showed us something. Our D was legit. Our running game was lethal. We were just missing a QB to be a contender. That's exactly where the WFT is at imo.

Alex Smith's story is inspiring, and it's unfortunate he re injured that knee. Dwayne Haskins hasn't shown them much.

What I'm trying to get at is the WFT is a QB away from being a contender in the NFC. Their D line is ridiculous, and their running game is solid. Antonio Gibson is a future star at running back. He also has a toe injury so I'm not sure if he's going to play.

Agree about the quick game, it's weird, since Olsen got hurt we've gone away from it a bit. Although we did it a little vs the Jets.

I believe this is the game we get the full Chris Carson experience. He's been getting more and more workload the last few weeks. I see a 20 carry came for him to keep that D line honest.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I am very uncomfortable that we will not adjust our offensive system to deal with both the Washington and LA DLs.

This coaching staff does not like to make adjustments. It likes to do what it does and then force the other team to stop it.

The challenge is, when or if they do stop it...then now what? Because we rarely make halftime adjustments.

If ever there was a time for this coaching staff to quit being stubborn and actually implement gameplans that mesh with the personnel (considering rosters on both our team and on the opposition)...this would be the time.

Pete loves to dictate the terms of the game to the other team. But that only works when you have a much better roster.

We need to go in knowing that line will get through to Russ quickly. We need 3 step drops, quick passes, and keep our QB moving. Even when we don't get sacked, we do not want so many hits on our QB.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree, in this game a lack of proper adjustments could get Russ killed. Heavy dose of the running game to set up play action, get the ball out under 3 seconds...Keep Russ Clean.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Aros":3jdyjtwn said:
I agree, in this game a lack of proper adjustments could get Russ killed. Heavy dose of the running game to set up play action, get the ball out under 3 seconds...Keep Russ Clean.

Tempo
Power run
misdirection sweeps and screens
quick slants and outs

You do these things successfully it should back the defense off and open up the play action game. But will Pete, Schotty and Russell change up their usual schemes?

That's what I'm afraid of, because they sure as hell don't do it against the Rams, who play a similar style defense as Washington does, and just as nasty of a front four.

So we'll see. Russell and the offense could be in for a long day if they go out there, run the play clock down to zero and rely on Russell to read the defense and hold onto the ball forcing shots downfield.

AgentDib

Reaction score
zchurch74":3otm4uer said:
This game is entirely on Pete. Dont over coach.
That would be entertaining but perhaps too likely to get Pete killed. We're probably better off having our players on the field, even if Pete may have to share some of the credit with them as a result.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
This team has traditionally struggled against good D-Line play. what team doesn't? but we have really seemed this team get anemic on offense when it's sack after sack and then desperation mode as the run gets abandoned because suddenly the team has gone 2 scores behind, RW is put in a situation where he needs the deep ball and the opposing defense just ends up with more sacks and/or RW throwing picks because of said pressure. Either way it has a recipe to be a disaster for this team and it's nothing new.

All the above being said, this is an EXCELLENT opportunity for PC and RW to prove themselves that this team at the end of the season is coming to form. If the team does show that they've figured out how to play against a team with a very good defensive line, throw the ball away vs taking a sack when needed, mix in some short passes and runs to get first downs and tire out the oppposing defense, put up at least 20 points (on offense). Then this team will be proving it is coming into contender form and that Rams game starts looking a lot more winnable as well as playoffs look more exciting for this team.

If this team looks like a replay of the Giants game, with points just being made in the end of the game too little too late where the Hawks lose by 1-1.5 scores but honestly were never in the game to begin with). Well then the Hawks for sure are not going to win the division because they'll be another game behind the Rams and signs point to them being swept by the Rams. AND signs will continue to point to the Hawks and RW having terrible showings against good defenses in the playoffs for another second round exit.

I am very intrigued by this game to see where our Hawks are headed (I am mixed on my faith for it), I really hope it turns out to be paragraph 2 vs paragraph 3. If it's paragraph 3...*sigh*

p.s. This is the game though where if it's 4th and 1 on the enemy 30 and Pete opts to kick it vs go for it. I will agree with that type of playcalling, take what points you can against a D that could very well stuff you and every point matters vs giving too much respect to a bad team/defense (like he did against the Jets) and potentially keeping that team in the game too long.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
I see a Carolina type game that we seemingly played every year against Rivera. Low scoring and stressful.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":37g3m4na said:
So we'll see. Russell and the offense could be in for a long day if they go out there, run the play clock down to zero and rely on Russell to read the defense and hold onto the ball forcing shots downfield.

If that manifests, the game is already lost before it's even played. Ugh, let's hope not.