Jettisoning Pete when he doesn't have a QB1?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Geno Smith played a lights-out 2022 that made me want to root for him in 2023. Unfortunately, he reverted to the mean this year. That stat he produced - I forget where I read it - where he led the league in turnover-worthy QB plays last year and just got extremely lucky that they kept getting dropped - has officially bitten him in the hindquarters in 2023. It's why I stayed away from Seattle offensive players in my fantasy leagues this year despite my hopes for Geno. And with his increasing age and a contract coming up, it's hard to see him as the QBOTF.

Pete and Waldron are the ones getting the blame. But they're also getting calls for their heads - before being given a shot at another QB1.

No head coach plays in February without a legit QB in this league. Even Bill Belichick has been revealed to be little more than an empty hoodie without an elite signal-caller on his roster (to say nothing of Josh McDaniels). I'm just one of those guys who sees QB play as the only really relevant factor. The rules changes in the last 20 years have made it so.

Geno is elite in flashes. It isn't enough, though I hate to admit it because his attitude change and comeback story were a great example for the league and deserved better.

But why give Pete his walking papers over Geno ?

I would never claim head coaching doesn't matter at all. Sean Payton is turning the Broncos from a bottom-dweller into a surprise upset-generator (beating both the Chiefs and the Bills). The Raiders are playing inspired football with Antonio Pierce taking over as their new front guy midseason. Under DeMeco Ryans, CJ Stroud and Devin Singletary are taking the offense into the limelight; they've won three straight and aren't likely to lose to the Jags this week.

Seattle's teams have always overachieved with Pete at the helm. This is something I'm NOT willing to pin on just the QB, Russell Wilson though he may have been. It would not seem Geno will be the guy under him, but our defense and WR corps have been littered with mediocre guys who overachieved, from Thomas Rawls to Bradley McDougal to Marquise Goodwin to Poona Ford. They've stayed in games, fought until the end. Ask anyone and that's his legacy.

Additionally, this is a good environment for a rookie QB to enter. Pete and John have killed the last two drafts. We've got a good OL (somewhere), a ton of weapons on offense, and multiple superstars on defense. And we'll have a bridge QB either way if the rookie needs to sit. The picture isn't complete, but we're far from the 2010 Rams.

Unless you're a Will Levis truther, this isn't the right situation to fire Pete. I'd be more sympathetic to that mantra without the last two excellent draft hauls. But this could also be a Belichick/Coughlin situation (minus the same veteran QB) - yeah there's a lapse for a few years, but the right players in the building plan bring it back.

Don't get so desperate for change that you root for what turns out to be the next McDaniels. Our biases have a tendency to view the unknown as good. Typically, it doesn't turn out that way. I say give him his shot to find a new QBOTF.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Well I PERSONALLY guarantee it won't be a high round draft pick. Not this version of the Seahawks. We'll pick a nice shiny CB in the first round. Bank it.

The BEST we can hope for is a mid to late round "project QB",,,

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I guess if the team looked like it was just a QB away from contending, you could make this argument. But it's not just a QB away. It's the entire system, playcalling, etc. that is all just out of whack. The team feels like it needs fresh blood at QB and in the coaching staff IMO.

Jac

Reaction score
Well, Pete did name Geno #1. Our top guy didnt get hurt, leaving Geno as our #1. Pete picked him on purpose. He has to take responsibility for his choice.
Exactly. Pete doesn’t have a QB1 because he refuses to do what’s needed to find one. Geno Smith was always fool’s gold. At least the rest of the roster is being built up in the hope this team stumbles over itself to find one.

seabowl

Reaction score
Look, I get trying to find a less expensive quarterback that can aptly run the office. It’s what the 49ers did and they are able to have a great players on the rest of the team because of it. With that said, Geno isn’t the guy and you need to move on.

strohmin

Reaction score
Everything the Seahawks do from here on out should be towards acquiring a franchise QB.

We will not win anything until that guy is in the building.
As bad as Geno has been playing. A QB is not going to fix coaching problems. However Elite a QB may be coming into the NFL, they will definitely be ruined by Pete's incompetence. I'm actually not mad at Russell anymore for jumping ship. Pete has shown how worthless of a head coach he really is.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Pete hitched his wagon to Geno. It was his decision. How many draft picks have we had over the years and they deliberately steered away from picking a QB.
Pete clearly didn't want to start over with a rookie QB. Pete has been making win now decisions over win forever decisions for a long time now and I'm done with that approach.
It's time to move on.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
This team is far from a QB1 to contend. Play calling on 3rd down is awful. The D is bend and break in the first half. So we have to pass more to stay in the game. And Geno just isn’t that QB.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Patrick Mahomes would struggle with this team. He'd be better than Geno, but at some point, this is a team sport.

Defense is atrocious, offense is average and hamstrung by a poor gameplan.

Every NFL team should be scouting QBs at all times except for maybe Houston and KC.

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
Geno Smith played a lights-out 2022 that made me want to root for him in 2023. Unfortunately, he reverted to the mean this year. That stat he produced - I forget where I read it - where he led the league in turnover-worthy QB plays last year and just got extremely lucky that they kept getting dropped - has officially bitten him in the hindquarters in 2023. It's why I stayed away from Seattle offensive players in my fantasy leagues this year despite my hopes for Geno. And with his increasing age and a contract coming up, it's hard to see him as the QBOTF.

Pete and Waldron are the ones getting the blame. But they're also getting calls for their heads - before being given a shot at another QB1.

No head coach plays in February without a legit QB in this league. Even Bill Belichick has been revealed to be little more than an empty hoodie without an elite signal-caller on his roster (to say nothing of Josh McDaniels). I'm just one of those guys who sees QB play as the only really relevant factor. The rules changes in the last 20 years have made it so.

Geno is elite in flashes. It isn't enough, though I hate to admit it because his attitude change and comeback story were a great example for the league and deserved better.

But why give Pete his walking papers over Geno ?

I would never claim head coaching doesn't matter at all. Sean Payton is turning the Broncos from a bottom-dweller into a surprise upset-generator (beating both the Chiefs and the Bills). The Raiders are playing inspired football with Antonio Pierce taking over as their new front guy midseason. Under DeMeco Ryans, CJ Stroud and Devin Singletary are taking the offense into the limelight; they've won three straight and aren't likely to lose to the Jags this week.

Seattle's teams have always overachieved with Pete at the helm. This is something I'm NOT willing to pin on just the QB, Russell Wilson though he may have been. It would not seem Geno will be the guy under him, but our defense and WR corps have been littered with mediocre guys who overachieved, from Thomas Rawls to Bradley McDougal to Marquise Goodwin to Poona Ford. They've stayed in games, fought until the end. Ask anyone and that's his legacy.

Additionally, this is a good environment for a rookie QB to enter. Pete and John have killed the last two drafts. We've got a good OL (somewhere), a ton of weapons on offense, and multiple superstars on defense. And we'll have a bridge QB either way if the rookie needs to sit. The picture isn't complete, but we're far from the 2010 Rams.

Unless you're a Will Levis truther, this isn't the right situation to fire Pete. I'd be more sympathetic to that mantra without the last two excellent draft hauls. But this could also be a Belichick/Coughlin situation (minus the same veteran QB) - yeah there's a lapse for a few years, but the right players in the building plan bring it back.

Don't get so desperate for change that you root for what turns out to be the next McDaniels. Our biases have a tendency to view the unknown as good. Typically, it doesn't turn out that way. I say give him his shot to find a new QBOTF.
The Hawks have had *plenty* of chances in the PC era, but they simply don't draft QBs. They don't draft them early and they don't draft them late. That is on PC.
Reaching for QBs early is obviously not the way to go about it, but drafting 0 QBs because the "right" one never falls to them is what leads a team to where we are today.
Geno certainly isn't the guy, and Lock needs to improve just to become a decent backup. The Hawks really need a better QB than Geno, but they won't even spend a 7th on a guy that deserved to go higher. The Hawks simply have no answer at QB, and their only short-term solutions are to overpay for any QB who hits FA or overpay to draft one early.

renofox

Reaction score
Poor Pete. That cursed Front Office has known for years that the team needed a QBOTF but they just refuse to spend one ounce of draft capital to try.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
One of the elephants in the room is, for a run-first team, we don't have an O-line that runs the ball effectively, except for the occasional breakaway run by K9 (or now, Charbs).

I would like to see the stat for all teams' 1st down effectiveness. My guess is we are near the bottom of the league for 2nd and ___ yards.

I'll see if I can find that stat.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
As bad as Geno has been playing. A QB is not going to fix coaching problems. However Elite a QB may be coming into the NFL, they will definitely be ruined by Pete's incompetence. I'm actually not mad at Russell anymore for jumping ship. Pete has shown how worthless of a head coach he really is.
To me NFL coaching is overrated. The most important thing is securing that QB.

A good QB should flourish with the offensive pieces we have in place.

I expect us to draft a QB this year.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Patrick Mahomes would struggle with this team. He'd be better than Geno, but at some point, this is a team sport.

Defense is atrocious, offense is average and hamstrung by a poor gameplan.

Every NFL team should be scouting QBs at all times except for maybe Houston and KC.
Things would look so much different with the right QB. Are you going to win every game, no.

They make the defense better by getting more rest and they put you in position to win every game.

If we had a top 5 QB this year we’re sitting at 8-3 instead of 6-5.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
"You can't fire PC becasue he doesn't have a good QB1 even though he is the reason we do not have a good QB1"? Pete Truther LOL

jeremiah

Reaction score
Well I PERSONALLY guarantee it won't be a high round draft pick. Not this version of the Seahawks. We'll pick a nice shiny CB in the first round. Bank it.

The BEST we can hope for is a mid to late round "project QB",,,
Name a team that puts Cornerbacks ahead of pass rushers in the draft, that is a consistent winner. I can't remember when or who the Hawks drafted and hit the jackpot on for Edge Rusher, a playmaker that makes pundits drool and babble. NONE since ...well NONE. They've done well at DT's, at LB's, but none that instilled fear in Offensive coordinators. At QB, they traded for Hasselbeck, and hit gold, and drafted RW. All others were developed or were total whiffs. The TWO MOST IMPORTANT positions have the worst track record for this team. 47 years, and 1 QB... 1 great rushing LB back in the Knox era. 0 DE or Edge rushers...pure power and speed.

My theory on USC players, which is what PC made his living off of, his fame? Underachieving players at the pro level, and a lot of QB's who were shit in the NFL. His best edge rusher was a walk on for USC, and made himself into a great player for GB. Pete just IS NOT THE ONE. He got lucky, which was likely more on Schneider than himself. Had lightning in a bottle, and opened the jar and let it go. He may be the worst late game time manager I have ever watched, and allows his players to commit the same mental errors game after game.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Pete hitched his wagon to Geno. It was his decision. How many draft picks have we had over the years and they deliberately steered away from picking a QB.
Pete clearly didn't want to start over with a rookie QB. Pete has been making win now decisions over win forever decisions for a long time now and I'm done with that approach.
It's time to move on.
There wasn't really much there in 2022 and they had no real opportunity to grab the worthwhile prospects in 2023...

This seems like an unfair criticism. You don't just manifest quarterbacks of the future because you want one, and you can't just decide "wow, I want to attain one now!" as if there is any consistent supply of them.

strohmin

Reaction score
To me NFL coaching is overrated. The most important thing is securing that QB.

A good QB should flourish with the offensive pieces we have in place.

I expect us to draft a QB this year.

I dont think coaching is over rated. A good qb with a winning mentality is not going to flourish here unless he is given free reigns to change the culture. I dont see that happening with Pete.