Jettisoning Pete when he doesn't have a QB1?

m0ng0

Reaction score
I have:

View attachment 62126

A lot more whiffs than hits. Like your comment and Just the same as his counter party Diggs, Both are 50mill $ trash.
oh really do tell, we are not talking about salary , we are talking about production this year and you can only say they are tanking games and yet you have nothing to prove that except a stupid little cartoon.

JPatera76

Reaction score
oh really do tell, we are not talking about salary , we are talking about production this year and you can only say they are tanking games and yet you have nothing to prove that except a stupid little cartoon.
You post is beyond ignorant, and you have yet to explain to me how they haven't been trash. Production wise they are the WORST safeties in the league.

so sorry your offended by "a stupid little cartoon" apparently like Diggs and Adams production on the field it whiffed over your head. ;)

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I gotta say, I agree with @m0ng0 - Diggs is still effective at his main job, coverage. Still has speed, is still taking away a lot, and has a hell of a lot harder of a job than he did last year because Wagner simply can't cover lateral ground at this stage in his career. Barton was a pansy and Brooks hasn't performed well when called upon to be the MIKE, but they could cover a whole lot more ground and that slack is falling on Diggs to pick up, and he largely has picked it up without much issue. The missed tackles are what they are. It's disappointing, but he's doing an admirable job on the back-end.

Adams has the same issue with whiffs, sure, but he's also all over the field and affecting a ton of plays. He hits, he pressures, he closes on ball-carriers in a hurry, and he does need to be gameplanned around. Yes, it was a bad trade. Yes, he's overpaid. But on-field, he's absolutely a positive for us right now. Missed sack and all.

These guys are being paid a lot, yes, but I can't say that they both haven't been on-field positives this year.

This can get ugly. We've seen actual bad safety play, and these guys aren't it. They're operating for us.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Just imagine if we had spent two firsts on a top qb prospect instead of a safety. We could be fighting for a sb by now instead of fighting amongst ourselves. Cause and effect. Still a thing.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Pete clearly feels you can win with a great roster and a game manager QB. But I ask you, is it easier to find one QBOTF or 7 all pro players?

You certainly can’t win with a game manager and a mediocre roster.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Was Russ a game manager with a secret weapon?
Russ was a great and terrible game manager simultaneously. He was kind of befuddling, which is why opinions on him run the gamut from adoration to vilification.

Can't play within structure, horrible short accuracy, doesn't generally want checkdowns, etc. But he could get yards on the ground, escape pressure, and put it on the money 15+ downfield. He could point guard it, he was a genuine field tilter, etc. but he can only run one style of offense.

When he could threaten you more with the read option, you could run the entire game through that running threat and pick them apart deep off the play action.

Denver didn't do their homework on him when they let him try to basically run the organization year 1, and he got profoundly humbled. Now Sean Payton has him doing the same crap that we did, but cleaner. And check it out, he looks like himself again.

It was never going to work like that again in Seattle, because he thought he could do more. The 2022 humbling was necessary for him to rebuild himself, a la Ricky Vaughn in the significantly-worse-than-the-original Major League II.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Drafting Russ in the 3rd probably ruined Pete on ever considering the qb as more than a game manager afterthought.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I like your points. They're good and stuff I haven't thought of, but...

Carroll has been the same for 12 seasons.
He won a Super Bowl during that time. Almost won two. Assembled a Hall-of-Fame roster.

Now if we were talking about a head coach who had never proven he has the ability to do any of these things, I don't think anyone here would be defending him. But you don't just take that kind of record and kick it to the curb when there are clearly other problems on the team. If there was an ideal time for calling for his firing, it was probably 2021 before he started having good drafts again.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
It’s baffling that so many people forget all of Wilson’s late game heroics that even the LOB teams needed at times to get wins. The idea that Russ wasn’t a massive piece of their success is goofy.
Russ was special. Except on one specific throw.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We paid a guy that was likely to revert to the mean, like he wasn't going to revert to the mean. Based on one year, after years of little production.
There is a consequence for that.

But

I think Pete has his job because almost any other coach would go into the toilet with what Pete has now. Asking almost any other coach to win with just Geno (or god forbid Lock) is a losing prop.
Pete's magical ability to keep the team near .500 regardless of roster is probably the reason he has the job still. (Also likely our owners would prefer a hands-off/no-effort approach)
Of course, we can also argue the reason our roster is so imbalanced is also because of Pete. But at some point, we are going to have to endure a few years of losing.

To excuse Pete for having to win with Geno, when he went all in on Geno makes no sense - unless you want to believe he was angling for a good QB draft. We will see, if we pick anything viable from what looks like a rich QB draft*.
He bet on Geno, he has to win with him. Not sure how you can spin it any other way.

Of course, that ignores the rest of our roster which is pretty below avg.

* Lately drafts 'rich' in a position, tend to be great, in hindsight, for completely different positions.

OLYhawks

Reaction score
He won a Super Bowl during that time. Almost won two. Assembled a Hall-of-Fame roster.

Now if we were talking about a head coach who had never proven he has the ability to do any of these things, I don't think anyone here would be defending him. But you don't just take that kind of record and kick it to the curb when there are clearly other problems on the team. If there was an ideal time for calling for his firing, it was probably 2021 before he started having good drafts again.
I made this comment a few days ago. This a sad, and weak, attempt to keep your thread going. Pfft

irfuben32

Reaction score
It’s baffling that so many people forget all of Wilson’s late game heroics that even the LOB teams needed at times to get wins. The idea that Russ wasn’t a massive piece of their success is goofy.

That was because the offense would often not do squat until the end of the game. The LOB was the reason they were even in that position to win the game.