Collins

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
Now I won't go overboard like a few have in the game day chat and say that Collins is better than Carson....but here is what I am thinking. No matter what, I am against giving Carson a big dollar extension, mostly because of his injury history. I want to see us give Penny a real chance next year before we decide on whether he is the longer range bell cow. Penny did look good today before he went out with cramping. Next year, he should be fully recovered from his reconstruction knee surgery. How about signing Collins as a number two or three back (as a compliment)? Sort of the way we used Hyde this year. I think Collins would be fairly cheap to sign. He runs tough. I want to prioritize other free agents to sign over Carson. We also need to plan in advance for the huge Metcalf extension.

renofox

Reaction score
I agree. Penny, Collins, Scarborough, plus Homer and Dallas since they're on rookie contracts. Might change my thinking if we could get Carson on a good deal but I don't think that'll happen.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Man, if he could run with the hunger he has for that end-zone, like he did oon those last couple of runs at the end of the game, he could be a beast! Turns out, we needed it too, because it ended up being the winning score.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Every interested NFL team will have access to Chris Carson's medical history, workouts and will require their own physicals. His injury history will be priced into his market value accordingly. Bringing that up as a reason not to re-sign him doesn't make sense to me; that's why he is going to be a lot cheaper than if he never missed any time at all.

getnasty

Reaction score
AgentDib":1rmqzj5z said:
Every interested NFL team will have access to Chris Carson's medical history, workouts and will require their own physicals. His injury history will be priced into his market value accordingly. Bringing that up as a reason not to re-sign him doesn't make sense to me; that's why he is going to be a lot cheaper than if he never missed any time at all.

I feel for Carson! With the cap going down, injury history, and being a rb i could see him beinf dissapointed in the offseason.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I won't even address the Carson contract issue. But I will repeat what I've said about both Collins and Scarbrough. I thought Scar did the best impersonation of Carson style running I have seen (for us) from anyone not named Carson, and I like what we've seen from Collins as well. He has performed admirably every chance he's been given.
I have a hard time seeing our RB position being in bad shape next year regardless how contract issues turn out. Penny was not injured, he just got cramps, so we'll have him in the mix too.

balakoth

Reaction score
renofox":14hvjujg said:
I agree. Penny, Collins, Scarborough, plus Homer and Dallas since they're on rookie contracts. Might change my thinking if we could get Carson on a good deal but I don't think that'll happen.

Curious why homer is so high on everyone's list.. he is literally worse than Procise who couldn't even stay healthy

renofox

Reaction score
balakoth":sllqc83x said:
renofox":sllqc83x said:

Curious why homer is so high on everyone's list.. he is literally worse than Procise who couldn't even stay healthy

Because he is on his rookie deal and there is basically no cap savings from cutting him. With the cap situation that is huge.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pound the rock against the top Defense in the league like last time we played the Lambs.
More of the same, and adding Collins and his hard running style? Yes please.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is tough because Carson is so important to the success of this team, notably Wilson.

This team without Carson is nowhere near a threat.

Collins looks great in the 4th quarter. Small sample size. Maybe he got better. But nothing about him looks above average.

The key with Carson is that he coverts 3rd and shorts. We struggled with that for so long. I am loathe to let that go.

But it is hard to be objective because growing up a Seahawk fan (and Husky fan), you grow up to love the RBs. Carson is one of the great RBs in Seahawk history. Maybe not in terms of longevity or durability, but when he is in there - he is a hell of a player.

RB is such a short career and because the guys take such punishment, it is difficult not to root for them to get paid. Contracts are a bit crazy now though, so all I can say is that one of our biggest weapons in the playoffs is Carson.

Crossing my fingers we can keep him, but confused as to how right now.

Two of the biggest mistakes this team ever made came from devaluing the RB.

#1 We already know about the SB goaline stupidest play call in NFL/SB history.

#2 Deciding to shift away from our RB (Lynch) at the time to a more pass-oriented offense screwed us. Trading away Unger to get Jimmy Graham was one of the dumbest decisions we ever made and likely caused us to miss a SB (that Broncos vs Panthers SB notably had 2 of the weakest SB teams I can remember).

It feels like we are making the same mistake of devaluing the RB again that we made before. And we paid dearly each time we did it before. Getting rid of Carson to save money while replacing him with some bastard collection of Hyde and Collins sounds like another dumb move where we devalue a great RB thinking we can easily replace him.

Collins ain't it. And the mediocre production he brings won't be worth the salary savings we think we get.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
getnasty":1jxzwuac said:
AgentDib":1jxzwuac said:

I feel for Carson! With the cap going down, injury history, and being a rb i could see him beinf dissapointed in the offseason.

Why?

The same reasons you said and agentdib are the reason he will be here next year. His injury history isnt even concerning to me. Yeah he has slow played all year ro keep him healthy. Doesnt mean he is a injury liability. It does mean he shouldnt command top dollar rb status. Plus, look at the last few years. He has barely been injured over the course of his previous two seasons. Games here and there, but not missing whole seasons. This is why you carry multiple running backs, with differing playing styles and rotate. Consistent rotation.
I like the back field the way it is.

Carson and penny, collins, homer, dallas. Scarborough can be there too. I like hyde, but I gurantee he will be odd man out because of his contract status and the fact he could play somewhere else and possibly start. Instead of limited carries.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
91 rushing yards in the 4th quarter. That's how you close out a game. Along with a QB and Receivers who know how to finish.

Slick

Reaction score
Carson is my favorite player. Too bad the guy runs so physical he's banged up alot. The prospects aren't good to resign him as someone (with a better cap situation than Seattle) will pay more. Love the guy.

I'm not sure what happened in the game yesterday but I think the man re-entered the game with his ear partially torn off.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":25dbt3so said:
91 rushing yards in the 4th quarter. That's how you close out a game. Along with a QB and Receivers who know how to finish.

Exactly. I'm excited for the playoffs. I dont think we should play down to anyone.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Just regarding the situation last year, the RBs are looking waaay better and glad to have Collins as a part of it at least. Love Marshawn and Turbin, but that was a rough way to enter the playoffs.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":9no6pr2s said:
Now I won't go overboard like a few have in the game day chat and say that Collins is better than Carson....but here is what I am thinking. No matter what, I am against giving Carson a big dollar extension, mostly because of his injury history. I want to see us give Penny a real chance next year before we decide on whether he is the longer range bell cow. Penny did look good today before he went out with cramping. Next year, he should be fully recovered from his reconstruction knee surgery. How about signing Collins as a number two or three back (as a compliment)? Sort of the way we used Hyde this year. I think Collins would be fairly cheap to sign. He runs tough. I want to prioritize other free agents to sign over Carson. We also need to plan in advance for the huge Metcalf extension.

What Carson is a Beast we need him the only reason the Defenses respect the Offense is because of him. I think Penny is injury prone I say cut Penny and give it to Collins but all I've seen him was on them last plays yesterday.

When have you EVER seen Penny do great he's good out in space running up the middle NO. Be careful of what you wish for remember when Lynch Retired.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
onepicknick1":330gfiv6 said:
vigilantgrrl":330gfiv6 said:

What Carson is a Beast we need him the only reason the Defenses respect the Offense is because of him. I think Penny is injury prone I say cut Penny and give it to Collins but all I've seen him was on them last plays yesterday.

When have you EVER seen Penny do great he's good out in space running up the middle NO. Be careful of what you wish for remember when Lynch Retired.

What? Penny had a few good games last season. Not even looking it up I think he had 100 yard games on there with less carries.