How do we fix the O Line?

GeekHawk

Reaction score
We're slowly expunging the stench of rhymes-with-unable. I think the real question is 'how do we speed that process up?' I'd say we need to replace everyone on the O-line who was coached by rhymes-with-unable.

Forthewin

Reaction score
Use every draft pick on OL and DL until they find something that works. Young and cheap is a great way to solve a problem!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Quit passing on obvious talent in the draft and picking people like Pocic.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Resign Justin Britt? No question he was better than Pocic when he was healthy. It would be a start.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
GeekHawk":17v7guof said:
oldhawkfan":17v7guof said:
Resign Justin Britt? No question he was better than Pocic when he was healthy. It would be a start.

How about we raise the bar higher than that?

With very little draft capital and a decreasing salary cap I’m not sure how high they can raise that bar this offseason. Something obviously needs to be done.

sdog1981

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2tdoooob said:

Do you mean don't draft an all-confrance center then play them at every position besides center and wonder why they are not very good?

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Get an O-line coach who can actually coach. I mean all college linemen are raw and need to be tuned up. A good line coach is paramount to success.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
One of my theories as to why Carroll’s offensive lines are terrible is because his desire to draft lineman that are a “Jack of all trades” type.

You know, those lineman that he says can play center, guard or tackle!

I don’t know if you guys know, there’s a saying, “those that do/try everything, aren’t great at one particular thing.”

Who are the lineman really?

Walter Jones was never a “could be” guard.

No one ever mistaken Steve Hutchinson for a center.

Robbie Tobeck was never considered a tackle.

Chris Gray wasn’t a defensive lineman turned guard.

Sean Locklear wasn’t a punter converted (joke).

But you get the point.

When Carroll says they can play a whole bunch of positions, what he actually means to say is, they are not good enough to have a single position and excel at that one particular spot.

Hell, he might want to try DK Metcalf at Right Tackle since at times Metcalf looks to be the best blocker out there.

I’m just sick of Carroll played out outdated offensive approach philosophy that ultimately gets us nowhere.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":33n657eo said:
One of my theories as to why Carroll’s offensive lines are terrible is because his desire to draft lineman that are a “Jack of all trades” type.

You know, those lineman that he says can play center, guard or tackle!

I don’t know if you guys know, there’s a saying, “those that do/try everything, aren’t great at one particular thing.”

Who are the lineman really?

Walter Jones was never a “could be” guard.

No one ever mistaken Steve Hutchinson for a center.

Robbie Tobeck was never considered a tackle.

Chris Gray wasn’t a defensive lineman turned guard.

Sean Locklear wasn’t a punter converted (joke).

But you get the point.

When Carroll says they can play a whole bunch of positions, what he actually means to say is, they are not good enough to have a single position and excel at that one particular spot.

Hell, he might want to try DK Metcalf at Right Tackle since at times Metcalf looks to be the best blocker out there.

I’m just sick of Carroll played out outdated offensive approach philosophy that ultimately gets us nowhere.

Also this. Please, no more JR Sweezys or Kristjan Sokolis. And let's not mistake Sweezy for a quality o-lineman. He was a below average lineman. Him being one of, if not the best lineman this team had while he was here was indicative of how bad those units actually were.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Might help if we could find a talent evaluator that knows what to look for in a OL man.. maybe poach the Brown's guy, they always seem to have a good OL.

Tical21

Reaction score
We will surely resort to the John Schneider playbook of stealing future draft picks to try and plug current holes.

xray

Reaction score
Easy fix . Notify Carroll that there are issues on the OL , he may have overlooked for the last 6 or 7 years . Then join the other 31 teams hunting for quality linemen . He might get lucky .

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
sdog1981":1m7vljwn said:
pittpnthrs":1m7vljwn said:

Do you mean don't draft an all-confrance center then play them at every position besides center and wonder why they are not very good?

Eh, he's not great at center either.

Chawker

Reaction score
This draft replace center and left gaurd. Keep our interior lineman at no taller then 6' 4" tall and under 320 lbs, they have to be able to move. Strength is key. Any taller and the DT will get under them. Good foot work and speed.