Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The running back room

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
The running back room
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:14 pm
  • https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/football ... ris-carson

Well if this has any truth to it, Carson is gone and Mike Davis could be back. So speculate for a minute:
    Penny, Davis, Dallas, perhaps Collins or Scarborough, perhaps a late round pick? For a team that wants to establish the run game first this would be a very uninspiring squad.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Re: The running back room
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:20 pm
  • Don't want to lose Carson, but it sounds like his salary demands might be more than the team is willing to go.

I'll have to vote with the team on this one. Carson is good, but his availability issues are a real concern. With the ding to the salary cap this year, there's gonna be some tough choices to make. This might be one of them.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:59 pm
  • Draft Javonte Williams
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:37 pm
  • :roll:
    SNDavidson wrote:Draft Javonte Williams

I think Rhamondre Stevenson would be a good fit for us, and will be available with a much later pick. I'm hesitant on the idea of using our 2nd on a back, even though I like Williams.
    SwissCheese77
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:39 pm
  • Someone made a comment earlier that we play a style that exposes the runningback.

It certainly seems we tend to get a lot of injuries at RB.

But it would be great if someone could expand on that concept because one of the most important things is that with short yardage, for the most part, Carson would convert.

We struggled with short yardage for years (or seemed to). So losing Carson is going to be really frustrating when we have 1-2 yards to get and suddenly cannot.

Does anyone have more insight on the comment about how our play style exposes the RB to injury?
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:50 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Someone made a comment earlier that we play a style that exposes the runningback.

But it would be great if someone could expand on that concept because one of the most important things is that with short yardage, for the most part, Carson would convert.

We struggled with short yardage for years (or seemed to). So losing Carson is going to be really frustrating when we have 1-2 yards to get and suddenly cannot.

Does anyone have more insight on the comment about how our play style exposes the RB to injury?

If Pete is so in love with old school style football and running, maybe he just finds a big bruiser that is only good for those 2-3 yard pick ups and keep Penny and Co as the speedy backs.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:57 pm
  • SNDavidson wrote:Draft Javonte Williams

I like him.
    I also like Najee Harris .

Trouble is if they will be available for us without a 1st round pick
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:07 pm
  • Seahawk_Dan wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:Someone made a comment earlier that we play a style that exposes the runningback.

If Pete is so in love with old school style football and running, maybe he just finds a big bruiser that is only good for those 2-3 yard pick ups and keep Penny and Co as the speedy backs.

FI Pete wants that type of offense trade Wilson, and use the money to find 5 big bruisers and a cheap Dilfer type QB. He will get what eh wants, and we will have plenty to talk about as we go 7-6 or worse. I say 5 because they will get injured a lot.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:44 pm
  • With 5 big bruisers and an elite D..10-6 or better is doable
    with a game manager till next year where the picks,bigger
    and better cap situation comes into play.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:52 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:With 5 big bruisers and an elite D..10-6 or better is doable

LOl you think 10-6 yeah be lucky if 7-9. The defense is not elite by any stretch. My prediction 6-10 at best, and several very frustrated Wrs.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:30 pm
  • With the hiring of Waldron and the assumed scheme changes, and the expectation that we’re going to be creating space and working the edges a lot more, I think someone like Penny just might excel in a Waldron/McVay type offense.

I think the reason a lot of people have the impression Penny is not capable of being a feature back is because he has never been utilized properly in the Pete Carroll offensive system. Pete was trying to turn him into a CC type back by running him in the A-gap, looking for him to break tackles and run over people similar to what CC does.

But that’s not who Penny is, or where his strengths are. He is much better on the edges and in space, and in my opinion is much more suited for a McVay type offense than someone like Carson would be.

This may not be a popular opinion, but personally I would like to see what he could do in a full-time role, and in an offense that’s more suited to his skill set. We’ve never had the opportunity to see that. He’s never been given the opportunity to get into any type of rhythm.

Prior to his injury in 2019, even in a part time role, he was tearing it up and looked like everything we hoped he would be when they drafted him. Give him a shot for at least the first 4 games and see how it goes. If he’s not producing at an expected level, you adjust and let him walk at the end of the year. But we need to see what we have in him first, and I don’t think anyone really knows that at this point.

How would you all feel if we let him walk not knowing what we have, and he ends up being a star with another team?
    TraderGary
    NET Rookie

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:51 pm
  • With Carroll hinting the run will be back , he's got a genuine problem doesn't he ?
    xray
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:17 pm
  • xray wrote:With Carroll hinting the run will be back , he's got a genuine problem doesn't he ?

Yes and he made the ridiculous comment saying we don’t have to run the ball better but just more. Hello, you still need good backs.

BTW if we drafted correctly we wouldn’t be in this position. Penny was a bad pick.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:18 pm
  • Imo Penny's knee is going to be an issue. That was a major injury that you never really ever get back to normal .
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:27 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:With 5 big bruisers and an elite D..10-6 or better is doable

LOl you think 10-6 yeah be lucky if 7-9. The defense is not elite by any stretch. My prediction 6-10 at best, and several very frustrated Wrs.

This sounds a lot like the predictions we've heard for several years now.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:37 pm
  • 1. Lose only starting-quality back on roster
    2. Run the ball more
    3. ?
    4. Profit
    ducks41468
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:06 pm
  • The zone run that the Rams have gone with puts less of a premium on elite talent at RB. Sure, it's a plus, but we've seen time after time that they can slot fairly average players into the position and keep an effective rushing attack that supplements the passing game.

We've got their run-game coordinator now.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:10 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    Seahawk_Dan wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:Someone made a comment earlier that we play a style that exposes the runningback.

FI Pete wants that type of offense trade Wilson, and use the money to find 5 big bruisers and a cheap Dilfer type QB. He will get what eh wants, and we will have plenty to talk about as we go 7-6 or worse. I say 5 because they will get injured a lot.

No need to derail every thread with Pete bashing because you somehow think he wants to trade Russell who Pete drafted, who Pete decided to keep instead of the LOB. Shut up aleady.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:22 pm
  • If they're going with this group we're going to be in trouble. Penny is consistently inconsistent and has been injured more than Carson despite having a significantly lesser workload. Davis did decently for the Hawk's but once again, he's not the type of RB you want to lean on.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:57 pm
  • John63 wrote:

10 games? Can you seriously see the Seahawks losing 10 games? They could have Pete run the ball his damn self and they wouldn’t lose 10 games.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:02 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:If they're going with this group we're going to be in trouble. Penny is consistently inconsistent and has been injured more than Carson despite having a significantly lesser workload. Davis did decently for the Hawk's but once again, he's not the type of RB you want to lean on.

Penny did good when he had some chances before injuring knee..He never was the starter
    because CJ Carson was...I mean Chris.
    I think if we get Penny starting we will be happy with his numbers and he has not been
    injured like Carson,quit being a fanboy lol.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:54 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:If they're going with this group we're going to be in trouble. Penny is consistently inconsistent and has been injured more than Carson despite having a significantly lesser workload. Davis did decently for the Hawk's but once again, he's not the type of RB you want to lean on.

Penny did good when he had some chances before injuring knee..He never was the starter
    I think if we get Penny starting we will be happy with his numbers and he has not been

I like Penny talent-wise, but he's much less durable than Carson if we're going off their careers so far. Carson has only missed 7 games in the past 3 seasons combined. Penny has missed 19 in the past two seasons alone. He's been unavailable far more than Carson has.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:07 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:If they're going with this group we're going to be in trouble. Penny is consistently inconsistent and has been injured more than Carson despite having a significantly lesser workload. Davis did decently for the Hawk's but once again, he's not the type of RB you want to lean on.

You're the one being a fanboy, I want you to take a good look at the games played stat:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... nnRa00.htm
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... rsCh00.htm

27 vs 41 games. This is, mind you with Penny not getting very many carries. He's been injured each and every year he's been in the NFL. I don't know how you can overlook that. Penny has been even less reliable and available than Chris Carson and that is a cold hard fact.

Secondly, Penny has been highly inconsistent as a ball carrier. He tends to really struggle on inside carries, and defaults to bouncing the ball outside. He's had a few good runs on the inside, but he's also been highly inconsistent inside still. If we're relying on Penny, our running game is in a sorry state.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:15 am
  • I still think Collins could pay huge dividends if Pete would stick with him and give more of a chance. Of course i'm just basing my opinion on the eye test. Pete sees him everyday in practice, I dont.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:41 am
  • Can Adams multitask ?
    xray
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:42 am
  • I’m good with it. We should bring in Chuba Hubbard as a situational back while working to get 20 lbs on him to be our RB of the future.
    nIdahoSeahawk
    NET Starter

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:11 am
  • I’d take Chubbard. He had nowhere near the season last year in comparison to years past. His draft stock took a hit and may be available when our number is called.

As you mentioned, another 15-20 pounds...I think he’s going to have a successful NFL career.

I still have faith in Penny. There have been some setbacks but, if he gets close to the form he was at before that injury, we’d be in a good place RB wise. Injuries aside, my main concern is with him being the #1 back. He may average more per carry but, he’s not the steady 4 ypc back Carson is.

Many needs on this team. Hoping they don’t try to find the 7th round diamond in the rough when it comes to RB in this draft. If our offense is heading the way we all know it is, RB should be the first pick (assuming Carson bounces).
    Elemas
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:33 am
  • "IF" is such a BIG word.
    But if it comes down to it, I think we could do some good stuff with Penny, Collins, and Scarborough. Especially if we get Davis for a stop gap.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:45 am
  • The Shanny system produces 1,000 yard capable runners no sweat.

Draft a guy in the mid-rounds, bring in a vet from the same system on the cheap, bring back Collins, hope Penny can give you something with another off-season removed from the ACL tear.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:12 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:I still think Collins could pay huge dividends if Pete would stick with him and give more of a chance. Of course i'm just basing my opinion on the eye test. Pete sees him everyday in practice, I dont.

Me too! Collins looked the best out of all the RB’s late last season. Look at what happened to him, it was bad luck, look at his college career. I see no reason why Collins can’t be a no.1 back in the NFL.

Davis is a stud he’s better now than he was when we had him. I’m not paying Carson 8 million no way.

Scarborough is a stud practice squad player, he’s moments away being able to keep his balance on the field then becoming an issue for defenses.

Homer got hurt in 2020 baffled people dismiss him.

Dallas is learning the offense & had a good rookie year.

Penny, when was the last time an NFL player returned to form the year after suffering an injury like Penny did.

This could be a great RB unit, Seahawks will get to look at Penny before they make any acquisitions or draft any players.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:19 pm
  • Fade wrote:The Shanny system produces 1,000 yard capable runners no sweat.

Draft a guy in the mid-rounds, bring in a vet from the same system on the cheap, bring back Collins, hope Penny can give you something with another off-season removed from the ACL tear.

They could do exactly what you suggest because they already have access to RB’s of different styles. The draft also has RB’s of different types which includes some incredible short RB’s. We the flexibility to draft Kansas RB Pooka Williams too.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:54 pm
  • None of that matters unless you have the right beef up front and right scheme we have road graders not agile men up front for the most part.

You can't just say we are going to use the Rams scheme without the people to run it, the real test is going to be can they adapt the system using most the guys we have and still make a running game dominant.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:13 pm
  • Penny, regardless of any excuse you want to make, is a big fat BUST for the Seahawks. 3 years and less than 1000 yards rushing total. For the guy we picked instead of Chubb. He’s giving Procise a run for his money as far as value added to the team. If there is no Carson we need to wipe the slate and start over at RB. Of course with PC in charge we will probably roll out the ghost if Marshawn Lynch again.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:26 pm
  • JayhawkMike wrote:Penny, regardless of any excuse you want to make, is a big fat BUST for the Seahawks. 3 years and less than 1000 yards rushing total. For the guy we picked instead of Chubb. He’s giving Procise a run for his money as far as value added to the team. If there is no Carson we need to wipe the slate and start over at RB. Of course with PC in charge we will probably roll out the ghost if Marshawn Lynch again.

Nah Pete will fix the RB issues this year he has to much healthy depth to fail in 2021.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:32 pm
  • JayhawkMike wrote:Penny, regardless of any excuse you want to make, is a big fat BUST for the Seahawks. 3 years and less than 1000 yards rushing total. For the guy we picked instead of Chubb. He’s giving Procise a run for his money as far as value added to the team. If there is no Carson we need to wipe the slate and start over at RB. Of course with PC in charge we will probably roll out the ghost if Marshawn Lynch again.

You would have said the same thing about DE Lawrence in Dallas after his 3rd year. Penny has a good excuse he was injured! If Penny shows up to off-season workouts not able to perform cut him & save $$$. Sign a FA and draft a RB.

This situation is not a big deal! Your acting as if we need a left tackle.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:39 pm
  • FresnoHawk68 wrote:
    JayhawkMike wrote:Penny, regardless of any excuse you want to make, is a big fat BUST for the Seahawks. 3 years and less than 1000 yards rushing total. For the guy we picked instead of Chubb. He’s giving Procise a run for his money as far as value added to the team. If there is no Carson we need to wipe the slate and start over at RB. Of course with PC in charge we will probably roll out the ghost if Marshawn Lynch again.

Nah Pete will fix the RB issues this year he has to much healthy depth to fail in 2021.

What healthy depth? Penny is coming off of two knee injuries, Homer and Dallas are nothing but third down backs. Carson and Hyde are likely gone. Where is the "depth" that you're talking about? We have none.

Also Penny has been injured every single year he's been in the league. He isn't a reliable option, if you're relying on Dallas and Homer, you've got some large issues at the RB position.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:39 pm
  • On the Roster, Penny, Dallas, and Homer. Collins and Bo are not under contract after March I am pretty sure, they were emergency and stop gap signings.

Thats a pretty thin backfield.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:23 pm
  • The love for Alex Collins is back, that's not good.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:01 pm
  • If the new OC knows anything, Penny won't be used as a battering ram. It is obvious that he is at his best going to the outside. Pay the big bucks to upgrade the Oline. With a better line, average backs will be fine. When Mike Shanahan was coaching Denver, any back they plugged in there was good for 1000 yds. That is the system we need.
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:12 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    FresnoHawk68 wrote:
    JayhawkMike wrote:Penny, regardless of any excuse you want to make, is a big fat BUST for the Seahawks. 3 years and less than 1000 yards rushing total. For the guy we picked instead of Chubb. He’s giving Procise a run for his money as far as value added to the team. If there is no Carson we need to wipe the slate and start over at RB. Of course with PC in charge we will probably roll out the ghost if Marshawn Lynch again.

What healthy depth? Penny is coming off of two knee injuries, Homer and Dallas are nothing but third down backs. Carson and Hyde are likely gone. Where is the "depth" that you're talking about? We have none.

Also Penny has been injured every single year he's been in the league. He isn't a reliable option, if you're relying on Dallas and Homer, you've got some large issues at the RB position.

August 13th 2018 Hand & Finger Fracture
    Dec 10th 2018 knee strain missed 2 games
    Sept 20 2019 Thigh Hamstring Grade 2 missed a few games
    Dec 8th 2019 knee acl tear grade 3

Your misrepresenting the circumstances to build your argument! Every team has RB issues! Both KC & TB added RB’s during the season. 2019 KC & SF had RB issues and we don’t need to talk about Todd Gurley.

Not a thing wrong with Homer & Dallas both looked good when they played!
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:19 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:If the new OC knows anything, Penny won't be used as a battering ram. It is obvious that he is at his best going to the outside. Pay the big bucks to upgrade the Oline. With a better line, average backs will be fine. When Mike Shanahan was coaching Denver, any back they plugged in there was good for 1000 yds. That is the system we need.

Alex Collins almost hit a 1000 yards! Not a lot of RB’s in the NFL could have done what Alex did in the SEC! It was a huge mistake to cut him both Seattle & Alex suffered for it, perfect example of what happens when you quit on a guy to early.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:22 pm
  • getnasty wrote:The love for Alex Collins is back, that's not good.

Why? Name one thing he’s done wrong? Dropped a few passes over the summer? Then moves on to kick butt for Baltimore. Gets caught up in terrible circumstances!
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:26 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:On the Roster, Penny, Dallas, and Homer. Collins and Bo are not under contract after March I am pretty sure, they were emergency and stop gap signings.

I count 3 RB’s under contract with Collins sitting there waiting for a league minimum contract when he looked the best out of all our RB’s last year. 2021 draft is loaded with RB’s.

RB is not an issue for 2021!

QB is though! Lol
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:48 pm
  • FresnoHawk68 wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:
    FresnoHawk68 wrote:

August 13th 2018 Hand & Finger Fracture
    Dec 10th 2018 knee strain missed 2 games
    Sept 20 2019 Thigh Hamstring Grade 2 missed a few games
    Dec 8th 2019 knee acl tear grade 3

Your misrepresenting the circumstances to build your argument! Every team has RB issues! Both KC & TB added RB’s during the season. 2019 KC & SF had RB issues and we don’t need to talk about Todd Gurley.

Not a thing wrong with Homer & Dallas both looked good when they played!

Todd Gurley isn't an elite talent anymore, and he has also suffered from injuries. You also missed Penny's knee injury in 2020, which is why he hasn't played in the playoffs. In some 160 or so carries he's suffered all of those injuries. I don't know how you can sit there and say he's not injury prone. He's objectively more injury prone than Carson.

DeeJay Dallas played good as a receiver out of the backfield and as pass blocker, but as a pass rusher he was very bad. Travis homer is also on the smaller side as well as Dallas. They do specific things such as pass blocking well but leave a lot of be desired as runners.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:52 pm
  • FresnoHawk68 wrote:
    getnasty wrote:The love for Alex Collins is back, that's not good.

Why? Name one thing he’s done wrong? Dropped a few passes over the summer? Then moves on to kick butt for Baltimore. Gets caught up in terrible circumstances!

He's fine as a 4th stringer i guess but much like Pope there's a reason they're unemployed for most of the year.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:00 pm
  • getnasty wrote:
    FresnoHawk68 wrote:
    getnasty wrote:The love for Alex Collins is back, that's not good.

He's fine as a 4th stringer i guess but much like Pope there's a reason they're unemployed for most of the year.

I'm not sure what it is though. Last game he ran, he was averaging over 4.5 yrds a carry, but Pete gave him limited carries. I would love to know what the issue is with Pete and Collins.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:05 am
  • FresnoHawk68 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:On the Roster, Penny, Dallas, and Homer. Collins and Bo are not under contract after March I am pretty sure, they were emergency and stop gap signings.

I count 3 RB’s under contract with Collins sitting there waiting for a league minimum contract when he looked the best out of all our RB’s last year. 2021 draft is loaded with RB’s.

RB is not an issue for 2021!

QB is though! Lol

So Penny, Dallas, Homer, yep just what I said 3 RB's currently signed. I just thought there was an echo, Collins and whomever else Hyde, Carson, Collins, and a whole bunch of others are sitting and waiting for a call after March.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:54 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information