The running back room

sutz

Reaction score
Don't want to lose Carson, but it sounds like his salary demands might be more than the team is willing to go.

I'll have to vote with the team on this one. Carson is good, but his availability issues are a real concern. With the ding to the salary cap this year, there's gonna be some tough choices to make. This might be one of them.

SwissCheese77

Reaction score
:roll:
SNDavidson":1ny6diup said:
Draft Javonte Williams

I think Rhamondre Stevenson would be a good fit for us, and will be available with a much later pick. I'm hesitant on the idea of using our 2nd on a back, even though I like Williams.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Someone made a comment earlier that we play a style that exposes the runningback.

It certainly seems we tend to get a lot of injuries at RB.

But it would be great if someone could expand on that concept because one of the most important things is that with short yardage, for the most part, Carson would convert.

We struggled with short yardage for years (or seemed to). So losing Carson is going to be really frustrating when we have 1-2 yards to get and suddenly cannot.

Does anyone have more insight on the comment about how our play style exposes the RB to injury?

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":9q5errrp said:
Someone made a comment earlier that we play a style that exposes the runningback.

But it would be great if someone could expand on that concept because one of the most important things is that with short yardage, for the most part, Carson would convert.

We struggled with short yardage for years (or seemed to). So losing Carson is going to be really frustrating when we have 1-2 yards to get and suddenly cannot.

Does anyone have more insight on the comment about how our play style exposes the RB to injury?
If Pete is so in love with old school style football and running, maybe he just finds a big bruiser that is only good for those 2-3 yard pick ups and keep Penny and Co as the speedy backs.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
SNDavidson":2lxg7mpq said:
Draft Javonte Williams

I like him.
I also like Najee Harris .

Trouble is if they will be available for us without a 1st round pick

John63

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":22vm4o3s said:
TwistedHusky":22vm4o3s said:

If Pete is so in love with old school style football and running, maybe he just finds a big bruiser that is only good for those 2-3 yard pick ups and keep Penny and Co as the speedy backs.

FI Pete wants that type of offense trade Wilson, and use the money to find 5 big bruisers and a cheap Dilfer type QB. He will get what eh wants, and we will have plenty to talk about as we go 7-6 or worse. I say 5 because they will get injured a lot.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
With 5 big bruisers and an elite D..10-6 or better is doable
with a game manager till next year where the picks,bigger
and better cap situation comes into play.

John63

Reaction score
IndyHawk":mwdsrvs5 said:

LOl you think 10-6 yeah be lucky if 7-9. The defense is not elite by any stretch. My prediction 6-10 at best, and several very frustrated Wrs.

TraderGary

Reaction score
With the hiring of Waldron and the assumed scheme changes, and the expectation that we’re going to be creating space and working the edges a lot more, I think someone like Penny just might excel in a Waldron/McVay type offense.

I think the reason a lot of people have the impression Penny is not capable of being a feature back is because he has never been utilized properly in the Pete Carroll offensive system. Pete was trying to turn him into a CC type back by running him in the A-gap, looking for him to break tackles and run over people similar to what CC does.

But that’s not who Penny is, or where his strengths are. He is much better on the edges and in space, and in my opinion is much more suited for a McVay type offense than someone like Carson would be.

This may not be a popular opinion, but personally I would like to see what he could do in a full-time role, and in an offense that’s more suited to his skill set. We’ve never had the opportunity to see that. He’s never been given the opportunity to get into any type of rhythm.

Prior to his injury in 2019, even in a part time role, he was tearing it up and looked like everything we hoped he would be when they drafted him. Give him a shot for at least the first 4 games and see how it goes. If he’s not producing at an expected level, you adjust and let him walk at the end of the year. But we need to see what we have in him first, and I don’t think anyone really knows that at this point.

How would you all feel if we let him walk not knowing what we have, and he ends up being a star with another team?

xray

Reaction score
With Carroll hinting the run will be back , he's got a genuine problem doesn't he ?

seabowl

Reaction score
xray":1jzpo9gt said:
With Carroll hinting the run will be back , he's got a genuine problem doesn't he ?

Yes and he made the ridiculous comment saying we don’t have to run the ball better but just more. Hello, you still need good backs.

BTW if we drafted correctly we wouldn’t be in this position. Penny was a bad pick.

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Imo Penny's knee is going to be an issue. That was a major injury that you never really ever get back to normal .

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
John63":9fnpbevg said:
IndyHawk":9fnpbevg said:

LOl you think 10-6 yeah be lucky if 7-9. The defense is not elite by any stretch. My prediction 6-10 at best, and several very frustrated Wrs.

This sounds a lot like the predictions we've heard for several years now.

ducks41468

Reaction score
1. Lose only starting-quality back on roster
2. Run the ball more
3. ?
4. Profit

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The zone run that the Rams have gone with puts less of a premium on elite talent at RB. Sure, it's a plus, but we've seen time after time that they can slot fairly average players into the position and keep an effective rushing attack that supplements the passing game.

We've got their run-game coordinator now.

getnasty

Reaction score
John63":14zoxb6p said:
Seahawk_Dan":14zoxb6p said:
TwistedHusky":14zoxb6p said:

FI Pete wants that type of offense trade Wilson, and use the money to find 5 big bruisers and a cheap Dilfer type QB. He will get what eh wants, and we will have plenty to talk about as we go 7-6 or worse. I say 5 because they will get injured a lot.

No need to derail every thread with Pete bashing because you somehow think he wants to trade Russell who Pete drafted, who Pete decided to keep instead of the LOB. Shut up aleady.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
If they're going with this group we're going to be in trouble. Penny is consistently inconsistent and has been injured more than Carson despite having a significantly lesser workload. Davis did decently for the Hawk's but once again, he's not the type of RB you want to lean on.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
John63":jkqe6ljp said:

10 games? Can you seriously see the Seahawks losing 10 games? They could have Pete run the ball his damn self and they wouldn’t lose 10 games.