Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DE Kerry Hyder signs with Seattle

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
DE Kerry Hyder signs with Seattle
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:56 pm

• 8.5 sacks last year.

People are gonna dunk on Seattle because Hyder doesn't have a ton of name-recognition, but he is criminally underrated. A really good all-around player.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Re: DE Kerry Hyder signs with Seattle
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:01 pm
  • I take it this means no Dunlap
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:01 pm
  • That makes him and Mayowa today! OK, I see you, John & Pete!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:02 pm
  • Great signing thanks for posting this.

This is the kind of signing that builds championships.
    He will bring stability to the D line.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:02 pm
  • What a wonderful day in the neighborhood.

Love that 49er pipeline.
    Last edited by Jville on Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:03 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I take it this means no Dunlap

not necessarily
    John63
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:04 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I take it this means no Dunlap

It could, but not necessarily. Hyder is more of a big-end/interior rusher. I wouldn't imagine Pete putting him at Leo.

This is more of an LJ Collier upgrade or a possible hint that Reed could be released/dealt and they need to replace his interior pressure, imo.

He's listed at 270, but looks closer to 280/285 to my eyes.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:07 pm
  • This guy better show up in games because he is a Hyder! Lol
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:09 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:Great signing thanks for posting this.

This is the kind of signing that builds championships.
    He will bring stability to the D line.

Agreed. A good lineman who can move to different gaps depending on down, who adds a pass rush element without sacrificing run D. Base salary of 5.5m per year. That's a solid, solid acquisiton.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:10 pm
  • Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:11 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:13 pm
  • Where are we getting the money? Did Pete and John rob a Brinks truck?
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:29 pm

• This went from an A to an A++++
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:36 pm
  • Haven't watched this guy but he doesn't look like a typical EDGE/Leo based on his combine measurables:

6-3, 290, 33.5" Arms, 5.10s 40yd, 4.33 SS, 7.23 3-cone, 20 reps @225lbs

Looks like maybe a "Big End" in the 4-3 or a 3-Tech in the 5-2 base Bear Front, or maybe a rotational player on passing downs.

I don't think this rules out Dunlap or Clowney.
    Last edited by A-Dog on Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:39 pm
  • Here is a draft profile:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kerry-hyd ... e54b3870f0

He's a Pete style 5tech/3tech and could be a pure steal. He had 8.5 sacks last season and 34 pressures.

I don't believe this signing eliminates the team from the discussions with Dunlap or Clowney as that market is clearly not what the players think it is. Both guys have issues of either age or injury.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:50 pm

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:56 pm
  • The team has been looking for that guy for some time now.

bob Condotta doesn't think the team is out of the competition for Dunlap

Bob Condotta
    @bcondotta
    ·
    22m
    My understanding is Seattle plays to use Kerry Hyder mostly at the 5-tech spot and not at the LEO position. So it doesn't necessarily preclude bringing back Carlos Dunlap.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:59 pm
  • Last edited by KitsapGuy on Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Corrected tweet
    misfit
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:01 pm
  • Combining the value of Mayowa and Hyder signing today, Seattle is set to pay a hair under 8 million this year for guys who totaled 14.5 sacks last year.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:03 pm
  • He was a god send on the 49ers defensive line last year with the loss of Bosa and Ford. I really wish they would have resigned him, but the cap is getting tighter with the resigns they have done already. I also think Witherpsoon finished the season really strong last year and showed promise (finally). All you have to do is look at the last game of the year against the Seahawks.
    94Smith
    NET Starter

Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:12 pm
  • My hope with Hyder is they make him a DPR, let Collier get beat up playing the run, and then put a fresh Hyder on the field to go get to the QB.

This is a bargain signing with a low cap hit, great job by the front office. 2 years / $6.5M total is ridiculously cheap.

I would still like to add Dunlap, though.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:12 pm
  • 94Smith wrote:He was a god send on the 49ers defensive line last year with the loss of Bosa and Ford. I really wish they would have resigned him, but the cap is getting tighter with the resigns they have done already. I also think Witherpsoon finished the season really strong last year and showed promise (finally). All you have to do is look at the last game of the year against the Seahawks.

Nice. I see Hyder was on the field for 69.6% of the snaps. I presume his endurance was good. Wondering how well he drops into short coverage in support of zone blitz. Any thoughts along those lines?
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:19 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:Ior a possible hint that Reed could be released/dealt and they need to replace his interior pressure, imo.

I'm thinking this too. Like the signing. Now if they can still get Dunlap or somebody in that realm, now we're talking.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:22 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:Combining the value of Mayowa and Hyder signing today, Seattle is set to pay a hair under 8 million this year for guys who totaled 14.5 sacks last year.

It will come in way under $8M in 2021 cap hits. Hyder is on board for 2 w/3rd voidable, Mayowa apparently signed a 4 yr deal, allowing them to spread the money out, and create lower numbers for 2021.

The salary cap is officially a joke, but I won't complain watching the Seahawks take advantage of this joke system. 8)
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:38 pm
  • I don't think it was the Baldinger quote posted here but I am sure I heard his name on someone's list as one of those potential under the radar free agents that would be a good signing.

"Voidable years" seems to be the new "signing bonus" to maneuver around the cap
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:47 pm
  • A-Dog wrote:I don't think this rules out Dunlap or Clowney.

Dunlap maybe. We know Clowney is not a LEO type and has never been a sack artist. Somehow I doubt they go there again.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:04 pm
  • I'm good with it. Was 43 de at detroit before 9ers. 9ers moved him around some playing in a 34. He will mostly likely be on the edge, but I wouldnt put him in zone. He is not bad at all getting to the qb.

Idk. I'm hung up. I was cool with dunlap taking snaps away from robinson and taylor this year. But now hyder.
    I'm sure we dont need both. If we do then cool. Hyder is a good signing, but I like what I saw in Robinson. I expect taylor to be real good. It's just weird. Green and collier kind of profile the same. Hyder and robinson kind of similar. Dunlap isn't a true Leo even though he has the experience to play it well. Dunlap more aligns with what collier and green do. Which is kick inside on 3rd downs.

I guess...

Mayowa/ taylor
    Hyder/robinson/collier/green
    Reed/collier/ green
    Poona/mone

I dont see dunlap getting signed. Unless they sign him...have competition to see who sticks and release someone after camp. Which could happen.

I still see them signing a bigger interior before dunlap.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:43 am
  • Love this signing! Looks like a good rotational 5-tech who can rotate inside on passing downs.

LDE: Collier/Hyder
    LDE: Reed/Hyder
    NT: Ford/Mone
    RDE: Mayowa/Taylor

All about strengthening the rotation.
    Frozenropers
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:33 am
  • Frozenropers wrote:Love this signing! Looks like a good rotational 5-tech who can rotate inside on passing downs.

LDE: Collier/Hyder

Not sure why everyone is sleeping on Alton Robinson. He was very impressive last year, when they finally let him play in the rotation. Good Motor, and provided 4 sacks for a 5th round player. I expect him to make the jump and contribute 8-10 this year.
    MagnificentSeven
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:38 am
  • I don't know who Hyder is but I do know who Ebukam is. If the 49ers prioritised Ebukam as a Day 1 signing over Hyder then the 49ers probably don't think much of Hyder. For the record Ebukam is a mediocre depth chart player.
    flv
    NET Rookie

Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:47 am
  • MagnificentSeven wrote:
    Frozenropers wrote:Love this signing! Looks like a good rotational 5-tech who can rotate inside on passing downs.

LDE: Collier/Hyder/Robinson

Not sure why everyone is sleeping on Alton Robinson. He was very impressive last year, when they finally let him play in the rotation. Good Motor, and provided 4 sacks for a 5th round player. I expect him to make the jump and contribute 8-10 this year.

Good point! I am actually pretty high on Robinson after seeing him flash a number of times last season. Total brain cramp leaving him out of that rotation plan.
    Frozenropers
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:52 am
  • flv wrote:I don't know who Hyder is but I do know who Ebukam is. If the 49ers prioritised Ebukam as a Day 1 signing over Hyder then the 49ers probably don't think much of Hyder. For the record Ebukam is a mediocre depth chart player.

I think it was a mistake on their part, just like Arik Armstead's contract. They've not made great decisions on the defensive line. Solomon Thomas, Armstead over Buckner, proceeding to pay Armstead lots of money...

I don't really trust their judgment, and for this kind of contract for Hyder? Real low risk.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:21 am
  • This is an excellent signing. Now if we can somehow still bring Dunlap back I am going to be ecstatic and give our Free Agency 2021 an A+.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:29 am
  • It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I can't help but question the judgement of our FO a tad for picking up castoffs from teams that play in a division we won last year. Seems like a potential step backwards to let what we had go while acquiring as replacements players considered non-keepers from teams we beat for the division title.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:40 am
  • Appyhawk wrote:It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I can't help but question the judgement of our FO a tad for picking up castoffs from teams that play in a division we won last year. Seems like a potential step backwards to let what we had go while acquiring as replacements players considered non-keepers from teams we beat for the division title.

I don't think it really speaks to much that they're from the same division. Fact is, SF ran a defensive scheme that started out essentially as a copy-paste of Seattle's and the Rams offensive coaches run the show here now. Makes sense that they'd acquire a disproportionate amount of players from both teams due to scheme fit and the similarity of the archetypes they covet at each position.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:45 am
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:I think it was a mistake on their part, just like Arik Armstead's contract. They've not made great decisions on the defensive line. Solomon Thomas, Armstead over Buckner, proceeding to pay Armstead lots of money...

I don't really trust their judgment, and for this kind of contract for Hyder? Real low risk.

That's fair enough. In Ebukam's case he was a traditional 3-4 ROLB who didn't really fit what the Rams wanted. Maybe he fits the 49ers. Maybe Hyder didn't fit the 49ers and will better fit the Seahawks scheme. I'm always concerned about taking the bottom of someone else's roster and paying them as key depth personnel. FA grass often looks greener than your own.
    flv
    NET Rookie

Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:57 am
  • flv wrote:I don't know who Hyder is but I do know who Ebukam is. If the 49ers prioritised Ebukam as a Day 1 signing over Hyder then the 49ers probably don't think much of Hyder. For the record Ebukam is a mediocre depth chart player.

Ebukam is 5 years younger and plays an entirely different position.

Hyder is like adding a stronger Q. Jefferson but with Michael Bennett’s relentless motor and ability to hand jive.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:02 pm
  • It doesn’t seem like we’ll get Dunlap back but, maybe we get lucky.

I also think Robinson is going to be good this year. He’s got a year under his belt and played well.
    Elemas
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:52 pm
  • Hyder will be starting. Outside edge. He is that good as far as our impact dline. Collier will back him up and interiors.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:22 pm
  • Hyder means the Collier experiment wasn't too successful, as both are Bennett lookalike? That also means Hawks could still sign Carlos if money fits.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by toffee on Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:53 pm
  • toffee wrote:Hyder means the Collier experiment wasn't too successful, as both are Bennett lookalike? That also means Hawks could still sign Carlos if mo ey fits.

I'm not ready to write Collier off just yet. It's only his 2nd full year following his injury blasted rookie season.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:33 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:I wonder if he could be a similar player to Michael Bennett?

More on Hyder

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1344337/ ... -hyder-jr/

Ahem...

Why DE Kerry Hyder Jr. may be the Seahawks’ next Michael Bennett

“There is a strong familiarity,” Heaps admitted Wednesday on 710 ESPN Seattle’s Jake and Stacy. “I don’t like to compare guys to players from the past, but everybody is familiar with Michael Bennett and the role that he played and the way that he played the game. Kerry Hyder Jr. carries a lot of those similar traits that Michael Bennett carried.”

Heaps isn’t the only Seahawks insider who sees the similarities. Brock Huard, 710 ESPN Seattle’s other resident quarterback, made a similar point Tuesday night on Twitter (note: @mosesbread72 is Bennett’s Twitter handle).

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1345876/ ... l-bennett/

ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:09 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:I wonder if he could be a similar player to Michael Bennett?

More on Hyder

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1344337/ ... -hyder-jr/

Ahem...

Why DE Kerry Hyder Jr. may be the Seahawks’ next Michael Bennett

“There is a strong familiarity,” Heaps admitted Wednesday on 710 ESPN Seattle’s Jake and Stacy. “I don’t like to compare guys to players from the past, but everybody is familiar with Michael Bennett and the role that he played and the way that he played the game. Kerry Hyder Jr. carries a lot of those similar traits that Michael Bennett carried.”

Heaps isn’t the only Seahawks insider who sees the similarities. Brock Huard, 710 ESPN Seattle’s other resident quarterback, made a similar point Tuesday night on Twitter (note: @mosesbread72 is Bennett’s Twitter handle).

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1345876/ ... l-bennett/

Now we have not one but two new Benettes in Collier and Hyder. If one of them can become 90% as good as Bennett, we shall.do alright in pass rush.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:16 pm

I played the 49ers vs Rams game (second one) again two nights ago to watch Ebukam. Ebukam had a nice strip of Mullens but other than that not much else. Hyder had two sacks of Goff..... I kind of wonder if the 49ers picked the wrong guy?
    94Smith
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:21 pm
  • 94Smith wrote:
    flv wrote:I don't know who Hyder is but I do know who Ebukam is. If the 49ers prioritised Ebukam as a Day 1 signing over Hyder then the 49ers probably don't think much of Hyder. For the record Ebukam is a mediocre depth chart player.

I played the 49ers vs Rams game (second one) again two nights ago to watch Ebukam. Ebukam had a nice strip of Mullens but other than that not much else. Hyder had two sacks of Goff..... I kind of wonder if the 49ers picked the wrong guy?

What was the support on the other side? Did the one side take over the other side? you must look at the whole concept. Help me here please. I appreciate your input here.

El gato.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:46 pm
  • I feel like the Hyder contract is underreported.

Great value for this year, good value for next, but not as good as people are saying

I get removing the $10M the third year so it looks like $6.5M for two years.

It seems to good

So enter details

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/sta ... 09184?s=19

"Up to $425k / game bonus"

So for 2022 it could be about $7M in game bonuses on top of the $6.5M

Not judging it, but if correct the real cost for two years will be way more than $6.5M
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:19 pm
  • Not 425k per game, 425k spread out over 17 games
    beastalamode
    NET Starter

Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:19 pm
  • beastalamode wrote:Not 425k per game, 425k spread out over 17 games

You have that confirmed? The two tweets I have seen including the one I linked does not say that.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:37 pm
  • mikeak wrote:
    beastalamode wrote:Not 425k per game, 425k spread out over 17 games

You have that confirmed? The two tweets I have seen including the one I linked does not say that.

I'll volunteer to confirm if that helps. If they tweeted complete descriptions, then "up to $425K per game active 2022" might read "up to $425K in cumulative per game active bonus in 2022. It's understood to be a cumulative figure. In the case of the Hyder contract number, It divides out to $25K per game active in. Thus the "up to" stipulation.

EDIT: Cap Numbers * per OTC

2021 ................ $1,950,000
    2022 ................ $3,700,000
    2023 ................... $850,000 in dead cap generated by voided year.

* https://overthecap.com/player/kerry-hyder/3503/
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

It is currently Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:33 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information