Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Off season talk - Cody Barton

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Off season talk - Cody Barton
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:59 pm
  • Our 3rd round pick two years ago, can he possibly become a starter?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Re: Off season talk - Cody Barton
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:06 pm
  • I think he's capable enough to start... just not start very well on a consistent basis. Good enough depth player, though, for sure.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:00 am
  • Interesting dude. Has all the tools, but has played tentative. Wouldn't be surprised if he showed up with the eye of the tiger suddenly and locked down the Sam for the next 7 years. Not sure what's holding him back, confidence? No set position? Perfectionism?

I think he just needs one solid game and everything will click into place.
    Own The West
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:41 am
  • Own The West wrote:Interesting dude. Has all the tools, but has played tentative. Wouldn't be surprised if he showed up with the eye of the tiger suddenly and locked down the Sam for the next 7 years. Not sure what's holding him back, confidence? No set position? Perfectionism?

I think he just needs one solid game and everything will click into place.

He has a guy in front of him that is hard to displace. When he gets in I am sure there is some looking over the shoulder going on, not wanting to make a mistake and get yanked again.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:46 am
  • All the motor, dedication and heart you want in a football player.......but too small for a front line NFL starting LB.

KJ Wright is small for outside LB standards, and he's two inches taller and over 10 lbs heavier than Barton.

Good backup, great special teams player, but no I don't think he'll ever be a starter.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:19 pm
  • I seen dude get punked way to many times to even want him on the team let alone be a starter
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:31 pm
  • He has potential but still not sure yet.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:45 pm
  • In case KJ not coming back, who would be our 3rd LBs?

toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:59 pm
  • Most likely not. He's a weakside LB and more of a coverage one at that. The open spot we have on the LB crew is at the strong-side spot and Barton does not have the skill set to play there (wouldn't be able to set the edge). The only way that he starts is if Bobby gets traded and Brooks slides over to the MIKE. I don't think that Barton would be a good WILL, but he would be better there than at the SAM.
    seanmatt
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:27 pm
  • Isaiah Kacyvenski 2.0 or Heath Farwell 2.0

Kick coverage will continue to be his thing. Was on the field for 71% of all special teams' snaps last season, lead the team in that category.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:41 pm
  • seanmatt wrote:Most likely not. He's a weakside LB and more of a coverage one at that. The open spot we have on the LB crew is at the strong-side spot and Barton does not have the skill set to play there (wouldn't be able to set the edge). The only way that he starts is if Bobby gets traded and Brooks slides over to the MIKE. I don't think that Barton would be a good WILL, but he would be better there than at the SAM.

I have a feeling that with Dunlap on the team, they might look at Darrell Taylor for SAM, much like they did Irvin. Like you said, they need an edge-setter there.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:30 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:I seen dude get punked way to many times to even want him on the team let alone be a starter

Same. He just doesnt have the physical attributes and talent.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:16 pm
  • As of now KJ still isn't signed right? If he walks expect Barton to play a larger role.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:53 pm
  • I'd like to see what Barton could do as a starter. Not just as an injury replacement. He's got the talent and physical traits. Let's see what he can do with starter reps.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:45 am
  • Just a guy. Another poster had it right comparing him to Kaz and Farwell.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:43 pm
  • Seanhawk wrote:Just a guy. Another poster had it right comparing him to Kaz and Farwell.
    Sounded like we wasted a pick on him.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:23 pm
  • I could see him as a nickel sub but never again want to see him responsible for stopping the run.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:59 pm
  • They moved up in the 3rd to draft him. The Seahawks expected more I'm sure. Miss.

The Seahawks have allocated way too many assets into LBer and Safety. Sure would be nice to move some of those assets and reallocate them to longterm solutions to the D-Line and O-Line where football games are actually won.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:26 pm
  • His athleticism (which Pete raved about) doesn't really show up when I watch him. He is a much better athlete than Farwell/Kacz were, at least in gym shorts. But you can't really tell on Sunday. He often looks hesitant or lost.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:21 pm
  • Barton has been one of our top coverage guys on special teams. That's worth something. With a healthy Blaire and Amadi I don't see a need for Barton to see the field on defense.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:20 pm
  • nanomoz wrote:His athleticism (which Pete raved about) doesn't really show up when I watch him. He is a much better athlete than Farwell/Kacz were, at least in gym shorts. But you can't really tell on Sunday. He often looks hesitant or lost.

Better talent and upside than both of those guys, still some lack of short area quickness. Saw some flashes as he made a few big hits and key plays last year but also got juked or ran over a few times. This should be a pivotal season for him. He is not a top 50 OLB in the league but probably pretty close.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:25 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:His athleticism (which Pete raved about) doesn't really show up when I watch him. He is a much better athlete than Farwell/Kacz were, at least in gym shorts. But you can't really tell on Sunday. He often looks hesitant or lost.

Better talent and upside than both of those guys, still some lack of short area quickness. Saw some flashes as he made a few big hits and key plays last year but also got juked or ran over a few times. This should be a pivotal season for him. He is not a top 50 OLB in the league but probably pretty close.

Leads me to believe it's an instincts issue, since his short-area burst is the only elite part of his athletic profile.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:32 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:His athleticism (which Pete raved about) doesn't really show up when I watch him. He is a much better athlete than Farwell/Kacz were, at least in gym shorts. But you can't really tell on Sunday. He often looks hesitant or lost.

Leads me to believe it's an instincts issue, since his short-area burst is the only elite part of his athletic profile.

I don't see the shirt area burst, I think his effort and Tenacity are their, instincts have shown up but maybe not consistent yet or lack of confidence in his eyes so I guess that is back to the fact he may just not have the it factor.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:19 pm
  • He’s a backup WILL with decent zone coverage skills and good special teams value. He doesn’t have the length or skill set to play SAM. His agility (great short shuttle and 3-cone) show up in coverage but against the run he tends to get blocked easily (mediocre instincts), doesn’t tackle well in space, and he seems to lack strength and explosion despite hitting 30 reps on the bench at the combine. He can fill in if Bobby or Brooks go down but there would be a significant drop off. Certainly not a waste of a roster space but I don’t think he’s realistically going to challenge for a starting role.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:23 am
  • Nailed it!
    nwHawk
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:28 pm
  • Well, at least he isn't Curry with no football playing worth at all. That's a plus!
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:48 pm
  • kf3339 wrote:Well, at least he isn't Curry with no football playing worth at all. That's a plus!

No he’s quite literally Aaron curry just we didn’t draft him 4th overall, dude is worthless out there
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:02 am
  • barton was in the 2019 draft class that had devon white and schneider chose barton instead.

and no, this is as good as barton is gonna get, its been 2 years now.
    Tinamedina
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:18 am
  • Tinamedina wrote:barton was in the 2019 draft class that had devon white and schneider chose barton instead.

This may come as a shock to you, but White wasn't available when the Seahawks came up to pick.

He sorta ended up going 5th overall.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:29 am
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:
    Tinamedina wrote:barton was in the 2019 draft class that had devon white and schneider chose barton instead.

This may come as a shock to you, but White wasn't available when the Seahawks came up to pick.

Yeah but we passed up Dre Greenlaw 3x in that draft, two of those picks were LB’s.
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:26 am
  • Throwdown wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:
    Tinamedina wrote:barton was in the 2019 draft class that had devon white and schneider chose barton instead.

Yeah but we passed up Dre Greenlaw 3x in that draft, two of those picks were LB’s.

If we passed up Dre Greenlaw 3x, doesn't that sort of mean all the other teams did as well? Yet certain of you use that argument to indict only one of those FOs. :229031_confused2: Talk about cherry-picking "facts"!
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:41 am
  • Throwdown wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:

Fair. I'm not defending Cody Barton as a good pick, just saying that indicting the FO for choosing him over the player that went 5th overall is hilariously stupid.
    Last edited by Maelstrom787 on Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:42 am
  • Throwdown wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:Well, at least he isn't Curry with no football playing worth at all. That's a plus!

No he’s quite literally Aaron curry just we didn’t draft him 4th overall, dude is worthless out there

The term "worthless" implies he can't play any position on a football team, at any time. That is clearly not the case as he plays special teams very well. In addition he can play as a spot starter when needed. The third year is when a lot of players make their mark on a team, so let's just see what happens.

Curry was never a really good prospect even before he was drafted. I knew it then and posted that opinion on this very forum the day we picked him.

A third round pick to me is about where his play level shows right now. I'll give him another season to see if things turn on for him, before considering him a worthless player for this team. I hope he proves some on this forum wrong.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

It is currently Tue May 11, 2021 1:25 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information