Kurt Warner breaks down Russell Wilson and Seattle Seahawks

irfuben32

Reaction score
Maybe it wasn't Shotty

This breakdown is great.

[youtube]E6BUU_FZAPE[/youtube]

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
That was quite interesting but I wonder if the team is coached to go for it, or if it’s Russ ignoring the “layups” on his own? We as fans will likely never know for sure. It would be nice to frustrate other teams with a dink and dunk now and then.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
When he’s right he’s right

Great post. I think any Seahawks fan who can take off their RW jersey for a moment can see that there are some systemic problems in what RW tries to do at times.

Hopefully SW can get RW to modify his game a bit and take what is given from the defense rather than looking for big plays.

John63

Reaction score
Ahh okay except what was the down and distance, and what was the view from the QB position. Pretty easy to say what u should do when u are looking at it from above but don't know what the view is at the qb level. That aside might there be a few as he calls layups that Wilson missed. Maybe but again without knowing down and distance and what the view from the qb position its tough to say. Example first play looks to me like Wilson did have a shot as the shally down and in on the right. Also look like a chance the dlineman on that side gets a hand on it whe he throws it. You really want him to throw it and hope it does not get tipped that deep in our territory? I don't. Everyone needs to remember all these analyst that watch, only have 1 view. The also don't know the play they are assuming. By no means do I think Wilson is perfect no QB is. I just don't think he has as many holes as some of you think. This video proved little given all the missing info.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Kurt is a highly biased Cardinal fan. He is a smart man, but allows himself to be influenced by his time playing against the Seahawks.

chris98251

Reaction score
ivotuk":3crwhpm0 said:
Kurt is a highly biased Cardinal fan. He is a smart man, but allows himself to be influenced by his time playing against the Seahawks.

True, he has never been in Wilsons corner really.

John63

Reaction score
ivotuk":2amb7hzf said:

True

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I'm confident that Waldron notices this weakness in Wilson's game, and will hold him accountable. He'll devise a gameplan around Wilson that plays to his strengths and gets the ball out of his hands quicker. Get Wilson out of the pocket where he's most dangerous.

They'll have a great gameplan going into each game until Pete Carroll busts into the offensive meeting room and yells a bunch and destroys the gameplan and reverts back to Pete Ball.

The offense struggles, Pete fires Waldron, Wilson demands a trade.

Jville

Reaction score
irfuben32":fccml1q6 said:
Maybe it wasn't Shotty

This breakdown is great.

[youtube]E6BUU_FZAPE[/youtube]

Enjoyed Warner's film breakdown. Thanks for posting irfuben32. Made checking in on the forum tonight worth it.

I'm resigned to the expectation that Russell Wilson will likely continue to pass on layups in favor of forcing explosive plays. Hero ball using either his arm or his legs. It's what he lives for ...... the big moment. He has already been thru a couple of offensive coordinators. Maybe a third coordinator will be the charm. We'll see if Waldron can help Wilson refine his game. :229031_shrug: ..... we'll see soon enough how well this new offensive fairs against better defenses.

keasley45

Reaction score
John63":bh1vny8y said:
Ahh okay except what was the down and distance, and what was the view from the QB position. Pretty easy to say what u should do when u are looking at it from above but don't know what the view is at the qb level. That aside might there be a few as he calls layups that Wilson missed. Maybe but again without knowing down and distance and what the view from the qb position its tough to say. Example first play looks to me like Wilson did have a shot as the shally down and in on the right. Also look like a chance the dlineman on that side gets a hand on it whe he throws it. You really want him to throw it and hope it does not get tipped that deep in our territory? I don't. Everyone needs to remember all these analyst that watch, only have 1 view. The also don't know the play they are assuming. By no means do I think Wilson is perfect no QB is. I just don't think he has as many holes as some of you think. This video proved little given all the missing info.

I watched a lot of last year's games on all 22 and what Warner is pointing out is a pretty consistent issue with Wilson, especially last year. The critique that the playcalling wasn't creative enough to be effective just isn't true. Often, the qb just didn't take what was there. Could the protection improve? Certainly. Has poor protection maybe given Wilson happy feet? I'm sure it has. But I also believe that Wilson has a style of play all his own that is predicated on breaking the pocket, finding space, and making a play, often off schedule, with his arm ot his feet. It's great when it works and it works a lot. But it's also been part of the reason the offense struggled last year in not being able to maintain rhythm and consistency. It makes it difficult to make adjustments when in game, as the oc, you don't know whether your gamelan really isn't working because the calls are bad, or if the failure is because the plays just aren't being hit by the qb... ie. Taking the layups. I said it for weeks toward the end of the season... we left a ton of yards on the field I the second half of the season by not taking the play that was there or getting the ball out on time based on pre and post snap reads. Love our qb but Russ struggled a bunch with it last year. Hopefully the Waldron/Wilson combo can push past these shortcomings.

cymatica

Reaction score
I swear I remember this not being as big a problem in his first couple years. I love Pete, but his emphasis on the deep ball and running a scramble offense has ingrained some bad habits in Wilson.

Instead of perfecting his pocket awareness(like stepping up in the pocket and not bailing too soon) and learning to take the layup, he was groomed in an offense that focused on scramble drills as soon as the play looks broken. Now he has to break bad habits that his coaches allowed because it worked at the time.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Russ wants to be the best. Well some of that is internal and he will have to improve this part of his game. It's not all on play calling and getting help, although that is a part of it. I wonder if this was as bad against other teams. If there was a team where Russ would get spooked by the rush it would be the Rams. They've tormented him for years. It did seem like he was bailing early on those clips.

samwize77

Reaction score
To me this is the quintessential "armchair QB". Here is a very good QB looking at tape of another QB. He has the chance to play the tape over and over..and then come up with his opinion and solution.

I am pretty certain we could pull up 6 or 7 plays from most any one of Kurts games and see something of the same thing.

Having said that.....if this is indeed a "consistent" thing in Russ's game...then yeah....something needs to be done. The dink and dunk is a very effective way of playing if it keeps the chains moving. Now, I am not advocating for a "dink and dunk"...but I do think it would actually give explosive plays a better chance of success when attempted. And Russ should learn not to bail so quickly...and learn to try to get the ball out a little sooner. Maybe Russ just isn't as adept at reading Defenses as I'd thought, or hoped he would be.

Thanks for the post! It does provide good insight....but I'll take it for what its worth. Pretty certain, without knowing, that this is probably a normal thing across the board for all QB's...just some more than others.

John63

Reaction score
cymatica":26zkpqt7 said:
I swear I remember this not being as big a problem in his first couple years. I love Pete, but his emphasis on the deep ball and running a scramble offense has ingrained some bad habits in Wilson.

Instead of perfecting his pocket awareness(like stepping up in the pocket and not bailing too soon) and learning to take the layup, he was groomed in an offense that focused on scramble drills as soon as the play looks broken. Now he has to break bad habits that his coaches allowed because it worked at the time.

Exactly and worse in 2015 when Lynch went down we went to a quick strike offense and all the "layups" were taking. As soon as Lynch comes back we go back to run and throw long. Also, as I pointed out Warner did not give us down and distance great Wilson missed what he thought was a layup for 4-6 yards but if its 3rd and 15 what good doe sit do us. Also okay lets assume he missed some layups okay all QBs do, but he also made some layups. The problem is people on this forum use the fact eh missed a few to say he always does which is a lie. The other thing I love is how Warner also says the oline is an issue but everyone ignores that. Like I said without knowing the down and distance, play call, and if everyone ran what they should Warner does not know squat other than doing what he did would get him clicks.

Wartooth

Reaction score
From watching this 'break down' and the games in 'real time', it does seem that when the pocket starts to break down Russ has a tendency to 'duck down' with the ball... When he does that, he can't see those open receivers in the middle of the field, and it's to late anyway! Definitely room for improvement.

toffee

Reaction score
Layups are not for heros and we are blessed with a superhero. OCs have tried to fit round peg into ....

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Kurt, the QB of the "Greatest Show on Turf" Warner, is criticising another QB for throwing deep?

Own The West

Reaction score
The usual suspects again coming to Russ' defense. smh

Russell makes $35M a year. Why do you want to make excuses for him?

We don't know the down and distance? Hitting the open receiver has a better chance to gain than taking a sack or throwing into coverage.

Warner's biased because he played in Arizona? He was talking straight X's and O's the entire time. In each instance he explained objectively what the reads are and where the 'layups' were.

Warner's never liked Wilson? He repeated how special Russ was 30-some times during that video.

Pete told him him to hold the ball and throw it deep? Pete wants to run the ball and play strong defense; the definition of ball-possession offense. He has said multiple times he wants his QB to be a point guard and distribute the ball. Also, the plays are drawn up with routes at all levels, not just "everybody go long".

Sometimes what is laid out in front of you is exactly what is laid out in front of you.

Wilson's a great QB, but I still want him to play better. I think he's been too focused on big plays and it costs us drives. If he came out and said, "This year I want to lead the league in first downs", I'd start shopping for Super Bowl tickets...

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Imo a problem is when the O is struggling or the deep pass isn't there or if turnovers / sacks are coming in bunches, istaking the quick easy throw like in these examples would be a way to get some rhythm going and get back. But when things go wrong, Pete's default rather than a simplified passing game is to go heavy emphasis on the run