Lets talk running game.

How good will our running game be in 2021?

• 100% Effective run game ?

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 90% Effective run game ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80% Effective run game?

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • 70% Effective run game?

• 60% Effective run game?

• 50% Effective run game?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chawker

Reaction score
Looking at our RBs and our OL it looks like its going to be another middle of the road season. Back when we had Marshawn Lynch we had a running game that Russel Wilson could lean on which was very completing to each other.

I'm seeing a 10-7 season comming up and I believe its do to the lack of a qualified RB. Carson is ok, Penny will be gone after this season, DJ Dallas will never have a 1000 yard season. Hommer I like and could be a good secondary back.

Our running game just doesn't excite me that much and I wonder how you feel about it for 2021 ?

Cheers

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Its going to really suck when Carson gets hurt.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Carson is a really really good running back. If he followed any other running back in team history (other than Lynch) he would get the love he deserves. His one knock is getting hurt too often.
I'm personally very excited to see the running game this year. It could be very dynamic with the changes in system.

Own The West

Reaction score
Define "Effective Running Game"

The Rams rushed 473 times last year for 2018 yards and 19 TDs, a 4.3 ypc average. Was that effective? To what percentage (as the poll suggests)?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Carson's better than OK and the offensive line is the best in years. Waldron and Dickerson come from a scheme that is notable for elevating running backs.

I'm not gonna vote in the poll as I have no idea where those percentages are coming from? But I think it'll be a competent running game.

Spohawks

Reaction score
I think the running game is going to rock! Carson is underrated, the Oline is better and the WRs/TEs will scare/take the attention of the defences. But as others have said, if Carson goes down...its over.

Drafting Penny and not some enormous and extreamly fast RB cost the Hawks big. With the run game being roughly 50% of the offence, I will never understand why a team doesn't draft the biggest and best RB every 5-7 years.

balakoth

Reaction score
I love how this board hates Penny and Dallas, but some how Homer.... is going to be a secondary back.. ROFL. Im not even sure why he's even on the team honestly

balakoth

Reaction score
brimsalabim":yyhsqw51 said:
stang233":yyhsqw51 said:
Don't sleep on Penny!!
He's the one who's been sleeping.

Except when he does touch the ball.. he does it well.

Injury and hardly getting carries due to some jack wagon play calling :shrug:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
balakoth":2ixfyiq7 said:
I love how this board hates Penny and Dallas, but some how Homer.... is going to be a secondary back.. ROFL. Im not even sure why he's even on the team honestly
Nope.. Didn't say that at all. I like Penny but recognize that he hasn't managed doodly squat for the hawks so far. I also believe that if the team is going to stay with a productive but injury prone back like Carson that we should hedge with another back that is physically capable.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
I'd like to see the Seahawks get La'Veon Bell a chance with a two year contract at or near a league minimum.He is only 29 years old.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
By the time week 14 rolls around Carson seems to get injured.

Hard to get over that hump, because teams know Seattle wants to establish the run game during the few last games to close the regular season out. During playoffs, Carroll wants to run a ton to setup play action but Carson isn’t usually 100 percent at that time and the O-Line is usually operating in shambles, comprised of leaks and repaired with band-aids and duct tape.

The plan might as well be let Russ play his throwing game for 80 percent of the season to save runs for Carson at the end of the year.

Carson is good but he doesn’t last 17-20 games. You need Carson at the end of the year, let Russ throw the ball for most of the regular season! Save Carson for the end!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
balakoth":4yy4pyiy said:

Because he can block.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Own The West":1upfrl18 said:
Define "Effective Running Game"

^this exactly! It’s hard to have a poll that doesn’t give parameters for effectiveness. Does 100% mean that they can run the ball at will every single time every single game? Does effective mean that the running game is 100% in setting up the passing game as needed? I just don’t think this question or the way this poll is setup is a good way to categorize the running game. I think that a simple discussion thread would be a better format for it. The percentages listed mean absolutely nothing without some context.

With that out of the way, I think the running game will see improvement over last year. The oline is better with the acquisition of Jackson and an additional year under Lewis’ belt. Chris Carson will be rock solid until or if he misses games do to injury. I’ve like Penny when I’ve seen him play. He truly is a threat to take it to the house on any given play. Between Carson and Penny we really have thunder and lightening at RB. We will just have to wait and see if that thunder and lightening brings the rain with it or not. Also remember that Alex Collins is only 26 and a proven commodity. Dallas and Homer are nothing more than jags.

Without using percentages or responding to the poll, I think the Seahawks will have an effective running game. Effective for me means that they can control the clock when needed, establish the run game so the defense doesn’t just pin their ears back and make Russell a constant moving target, and provide an alternative functional means of moving the ball.

keasley45

Reaction score
I thought the running game last year was solid. Carson has been bit by the injury bug some, but I still think he's one ofnthe top 5 or 6 backs in the league when he's doing his thing.

The downfall ofnthe running attack last year was a schizophrenic game plan week in and week out. There wasn't a consistent approach and there were quite a few games where we clearly established the run and then inexplicably abandoned it.

The big upgrade this year is the o line, plus having Collins in the fold as a consistent counter to Carson. Penny... ahhhh. The guy has shown the ability to break the occasional big play but hasn't shown he's the kind of runner that can get you 3 or 4 yards when you need them and keep the offense (and chains) moving in rhythm.

Im optimistic the offense as a whole will be more reliably effective than the red hot and then ice cold version we saw last year. Russ might not throw for 40+ tds again but I think we will be significantly more balanced between pass and run.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Want a good running game? Get a good line.
Want to win football games? Get good lines.
Win the LOS, win the game. Works like that nearly every time.
I put a lot of stock into having good running backs, the best you can get. But a strong line that wins the LOS will make an average running back a great producer.
Our lineup of RBs looks pretty good to me. Carson, Penny, Collins, and our 2 depth guys will do what we need them to do if our line does the job we need them to do.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Carson is not a bellcow RB.

He is a fantastic RB. And he does the 1 thing that we have needed for years, he converts short yardage for you.

But he doesn't have the body or durability to be a bellcow.

Despite this he fights for yardage too much after contact. It puts extra wear on him. Fighting for yardage means other defenders are going to come in hitting you from odd angles, increasing your chance of injury.

Carson needs to know when to go down. It drives me crazy.

That is on our coaches.

The primary driver of our offense should be the passing game, not the run. Then the RB should be used to keep defenses honest. YOU DO NOT NEED A GREAT RUN GAME TO SET UP PLAY ACTION. Carroll seems to believe this but most teams will bite on PA even when you are primarily a passing team.

I guess we are hoping to catch someone in Cover 0 but all it does is wear Carson out before the playoffs. And honestly, we caught plenty of teams last year with PA and in Cover 0 with Homer in the backfield, and Homer is lucky to give you 2 yards rushing on a carry. (Fantastic blocker though, love love his blocking)

We should be sprinkling the run in while using the pass as the primary driver of the offense (and yes you can have the run be the primary driver of your offense and still have more passing than runs).

It makes sense why Carroll does this. Run blocking OL are cheaper and easier to manufacture than pass blocking OL. But it is counterproductive. And it bites you in the *ss in the playoffs, because you need to pass as your primary driver and you are not used to this.

We have all the pieces to have a high-powered offense that primarily passes. And yet, we want to run the ball more because it uses clock. It is a flawed strategy that works in the regular season and screws you in the playoffs.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
We not only need to have success running the ball, we need to have success running the ball early in the first half of the ball game. Why? So it becomes a issue for our opponents at half time,thats when it will set-up our play action passing later in the game.

Running the ball will wear down the defense so there pass rush will be less effective in the second half, plus you have more control of the clock.

Oh, ground chuck, wear art thou. :les:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Penny not fast?He sure looked it before getting hurt.
Homer and Dallas are gone in my book..They got hurt as well.
I think Carson and Penny both split carries a lot more than before.
Carson hasn't shown he can be out there week in and out for complete
games and Penny is in walk year so he has lots to prove..I think both will
have a good season,I can't vote on % though sorry Chawker.