Gabe Jackson

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I just want to highlight something that is truly important and that is the value of pass protection. Especially interior lineman play for a QB like Russ.

This is what great protection looks like. Yes, I know QBs can play a role in protection, and that some of the sacks/stalled drives last year were on Russ. But it has never felt like we truly invested in a proper O-line overall. While we can say Russ disappeared in the 2nd half, the stats show that the O-line also disappeared.

Now with Russ finally in a modern offense (10 years later) and two really good guards in Lewis and Gabe Jackson, this is exciting. Look at how Gabe man handles what looks like Buckner. Simply impressive and incredible and I really hope he can stay healthy :irishdrinkers:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeDugar/status/1437124200813236232[/tweet]

John63

Reaction score
Scorpion05":kskdu49y said:
I just want to highlight something that is truly important and that is the value of pass protection. Especially interior lineman play for a QB like Russ.

This is what great protection looks like. Yes, I know QBs can play a role in protection, and that some of the sacks/stalled drives last year were on Russ. But it has never felt like we truly invested in a proper O-line overall. While we can say Russ disappeared in the 2nd half, the stats show that the O-line also disappeared.

Now with Russ finally in a modern offense (10 years later) and two really good guards in Lewis and Gabe Jackson, this is exciting. Look at how Gabe man handles what looks like Buckner. Simply impressive and incredible and I really hope he can stay healthy :irishdrinkers:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeDugar/status/1437124200813236232[/tweet]

yup I agree both the new design and the blocking are years late but better late then never

seabowl

Reaction score
The OL as a whole played very well. I think Pete wants to keep pounding it and this is a line he can do it with.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I agree Guard play is probably the most important thing in keeping these shorter QB's being able to see and throw. Drew Bree's for many years had arguably the best pair of guards in the league keeping the pocket clean for him. I think with Lewis and Jackson we're going to see Wilson being able to stay put in the pocket and make great throws. I think Lewis has the potential to be a pro-bowl calibur player.

ivotuk

Reaction score
jlwaters1":xvyd1jst said:
I agree Guard play is probably the most important thing in keeping these shorter QB's being able to see and throw. Drew Bree's for many years had arguably the best pair of guards in the league keeping the pocket clean for him.

I think with Lewis and Jackson we're going to see Wilson being able to stay put in the pocket and make great throws. I think Lewis has the potential to be a pro-bowl caliber player.

Absolutely! If you listened to the Huddle, Ray Roberts (I listened to it this morning just for kicks) will get you excited for this OLine.

RR: "Damien Lewis must have worked out because his arms are HUGE! He reminds me of a more athletic DJ Fluker."

And yes, myself, and many others on here have been begging for a Drew Brees type OLine protection and play-calling for years! Years!!

I think the biggest thing about Damien and Gabe, is that they will strengthen the Center position.

A lot of what happened to Pocic late in the season was on the hapless play of Iupati. Why Pete insisted on playing that guy was beyond me! He was injured, couldn't move, and kept making mistakes. Wyman repeatedly described how upset Duane Brown was because Iupati kept missing simple hand offs! "Duane would storm off the field, mad as hell."

So then the Center not only has his job, but tries to cover for a useless Left Guard too.

Please! For the Love of God! No More has been 1st round Offensive Linemen or any other "Old, injury prone players!" If their old team won't have them, there's usually a good reason.

AND, not only do they sign these dead-weight players! They OVERPAY them! Greg Olsen. Eddie China Food. That Tackle/Guard coming back from a major knee injury after Jacksonville dumped him...

harryjohnson

Reaction score
seabowl":3lnk42n3 said:
The OL as a whole played very well. I think Pete wants to keep pounding it and this is a line he can do it with.

Not only did they play well, not a single false start in a very loud building.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
harryjohnson":3ou1s66i said:
seabowl":3ou1s66i said:

You’re right, good catch on that.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
harryjohnson":2x8l3ydt said:
seabowl":2x8l3ydt said:

There was one false start by D.K. on the 3rd play of the first drive, and it was LOUD at that point. But nothing else distracted the line. All the linemen "held their water."