Keep or trade Gabe Jackson?

toffee

Reaction score
Gabe Jackson, we traded a 5th round pick for him, we might save like $6mil by trading him? I am not sure about the cap bit but he is ok last season, not exceptional. Gabe's PFF for 2021 was 63.6, suffered 6 penalties and allowed 3 sacks. But trading him, we will have a bit more cap, and could move Damian Lewis back to RG, play Phil Haynes at LG?

Any opinions?

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I think they need bodies at this point to see what they've got hoping he improves with cohesive line play. But, dang. You on the numbers. You think it's too much a cap hit? They do like the rookie udfa Demetrius????

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I'm still scratching my head why they moved Damien Lewis over to left guard and had Gabe at right guard. I feel like those two should be switched and see how Gabe performs at left guard.

Damien Lewis excelled at right guard his rookie year. I think it's worth hanging onto Gabe Jackson this season if they try him on the left side.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I think they need bodies at this point to see what they've got hoping he improves with cohesive line play. But, dang. You on the numbers. You think it's too much a cap hit? They do like the rookie udfa Demetrius????
For whatever PFF's worth, Gabe vs Haynes

Gabe : 922 snaps, 4 penalties, 3 sacks, grade 63.6
Haynes: 136 snaps, 0 penalties, 0 sacks, grade 69.8

Phil has been injury prone, but he played ok last season.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
This just makes me think. This isn't a rebuilding season. They started that already. This season number one goal should be improved OL building that into something we can count on. Running game, throwing to DK more often, new defense. Record doesn't matter as much as improved identity.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I'm still scratching my head why they moved Damien Lewis over to left guard and had Gabe at right guard. I feel like those two should be switched and see how Gabe performs at left guard.

Damien Lewis excelled at right guard his rookie year. I think it's worth hanging onto Gabe Jackson this season if they try him on the left side.
In his rookie year, Lewis excelled at run blocking as RG, he sucked in pass protection if my memory serves.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
In his rookie year, Lewis excelled at run blocking as RG, he sucked in pass protection if my memory serves.
You're probably right. That may explain the move. I still think he's young and coachable, wish they would try him again.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
It's going to be interesting how it all shakes out. We'll have a young, but talented line. Might take some time / experience and good luck with health.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
We need a dirt bag guy. Not a player. Someone to dig up dirt on the other team to piss off our lineman before every game.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
my thought process was Gabe shouldn't be part of OL of the future, BUT he is probably one of our best guards on current roster. Do we really want to gamble on Pier-Olivier Lestage or Shamarious Gilmore?

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I think we need him for the 2022 season at least. Probably grab an interior oline guy early in the next draft - maybe the 2nd or 3rd round. Both Austin Blythe and Kyle Fuller are free agents after the season also. So something's got to be done long term at center too.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Gabe Jackson is another trade gone bad for Pete and John. Two years fully guaranteed was just plainly stupid. Trading away Jackson would be great, but I doubt there is a team out there that desperate or foolish.

I'm guessing that Pete and John will be looking to pick up a cap casualty Guard at the final countdown to 53.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Gabe Jackson is another trade gone bad for Pete and John. Two years fully guaranteed was just plainly stupid. Trading away Jackson would be great, but I doubt there is a team out there that desperate or foolish.

I'm guessing that Pete and John will be looking to pick up a cap casualty Guard at the final countdown to 53.
What? Did you see the guys he replaced? He has been one of the best guards on the team over the past 10 years.

nanomoz

Reaction score
If Curhan transitions to guard and isn't bad, I'd be surprised if Jackson makes the 53 (54 with the Pathways/Aaron Donkor exception, I guess).

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Have a look at Jackson's contract. The dead money if he's cut makes it more likely that he'll be around this season as the Hawks are planning on taking all of RW's dead cap $ this year. Next season they could rid themselves of him but would still eat a good bit of dead cap.

Whether Jackson could be better used at LG to RG is an interesting question yet the team saw him last season as better on the right side. The learning curve for Lewis in moving to LG seemed steep but perhaps with a season of moving in new direction he'll be improved.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Have a look at Jackson's contract. The dead money if he's cut makes it more likely that he'll be around this season as the Hawks are planning on taking all of RW's dead cap $ this year. Next season they could rid themselves of him but would still eat a good bit of dead cap.

Whether Jackson could be better used at LG to RG is an interesting question yet the team saw him last season as better on the right side. The learning curve for Lewis in moving to LG seemed steep but perhaps with a season of moving in new direction he'll be improved.

My take is that 2022 is a rebuilding year, I rather let young guards get some reps as i don't see Gabe as part of the future. We could keep him and still let young guys get their snaps.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

I'm just going to add some specific numbers.

If Jackson is cut after June 1 this year, that's another $9M in dead money, with zero cap savings. So even if his performance blows goats, he's likely to be around as a backup this season. That is, he'll be on the roster unless he suffers a major injury and goes on IR.

If he's cut next year (doesn't matter if it's before or after June 1), then it's $3M in dead money and $6.5M in cap savings.