We have had a chance now to see this team without Russ.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Do people still want to trade Russ for 3 firsts (keep in mind 2 of them would be late round firsts) and watch that drek for the next 40 years? He is the best thing this team has going for it and has a lot of good years left. Trading Russ would be the dumbest thing this franchise ever did.

John63

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2kd1wd6j said:
Do people still want to trade Russ for 3 firsts (keep in mind 2 of them would be late round firsts) and watch that drek for the next 40 years? He is the best thing this team has going for it and has a lot of good years left. Trading Russ would be the dumbest thing this franchise ever did.

This

John63

Reaction score
Rat":308nscse said:
Are you assuming Russ' replacement would be Geno Smith?

No could be worse. Very few QBs could be as successful as Wilson has been in the PC system.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
What does Geno have to do with it?

My GF is not a huge football fan but was watching with me, now and then this game.

She turns to me and says:
'So are they just running the ball forward into a bunch of guys expecting them to run the ball forward?'

To me that was a perfect description of the Seahawk offense.

I had to concede, that yes, that appeared to be our gameplan for 4 quarters.

Anybody but Russ is going to struggle in this offense because 3/4 of the offense is running the ball into people expecting you to run the ball into them.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Rat":bt4kfxpy said:
Your right maybe we could have Sam Darnold, Andy Dalton, Justin Fields, or Zach Wilson. Because hall of fame QB's are just everywhere. Just have to pick one in the next draft is all.

Rat

Reaction score
We were 2-3 WITH Russ. Hell, in the past four years, his prime years, our only playoff victory was against a team that had their starting QB knocked out, and was forced to play a 40-year-old backup making his NFL playoff debut.

Russ is great, but how are we actually supposed to build around him? We have basically no capital, and some of our big contracts, with Russ' deal being the most prohibitive, make putting pieces around him difficult. We're probably talking years, and who knows how effective Russ will still be by then. And by then, we'll have to pay DK, Wagner will be gone, Duane Brown will probably be gone. First round draft picks are worth gold with the current CBA, but we have a high pick that isn't ours next year because we gave up the farm to bid against ourselves for a safety who barely helps in pass coverage.

There's a reason why most of the recent Super Bowl winners don't have insane amounts of money tied up in their QB. Your margin of error is way too slim. Our Super Bowl run happened with Russ on a 3rd round rookie deal, and a number of other stars on bargain contracts. It looks like the same thing is happening now to Kansas City.

It's not as simple as saying "Russ is good. Keep him". He keeps our floor higher, but with the way the rest of the team looks, this is nowhere near a championship caliber squad.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
The NFL isn't baseball. It takes one offseason to overhaul a roster at max 2. After this year we have hardly anyone under contract. You know whats really important though?

HAVING A GOOD FREAKING QB!!!!

minormillikin

Reaction score
They're worse without Russ, but not that much worse. You might be forgetting how sh*tty we were before Geno.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Natethegreat":209mzsdy said:
The NFL isn't baseball. It takes one offseason to overhaul a roster at max 2. After this year we have hardly anyone under contract. You know whats really important though?

HAVING A GOOD FREAKING QB!!!!
And draft picks..

Instead we have stone hands lost in the sauce Jamal f’n adams.

John63

Reaction score
minormillikin":1rbcjdhg said:
They're worse without Russ, but not that much worse. You might be forgetting how sh*tty we were before Geno.

We had a top 10 offense before Wilson got hurt

John63

Reaction score
Rat":2rrpdp86 said:
We were 2-3 WITH Russ. Hell, in the past four years, his prime years, our only playoff victory was against a team that had their starting QB knocked out, and was forced to play a 40-year-old backup making his NFL playoff debut.

Russ is great, but how are we actually supposed to build around him? We have basically no capital, and some of our big contracts, with Russ' deal being the most prohibitive, make putting pieces around him difficult. We're probably talking years, and who knows how effective Russ will still be by then. And by then, we'll have to pay DK, Wagner will be gone, Duane Brown will probably be gone. First round draft picks are worth gold with the current CBA, but we have a high pick that isn't ours next year because we gave up the farm to bid against ourselves for a safety who barely helps in pass coverage.

There's a reason why most of the recent Super Bowl winners don't have insane amounts of money tied up in their QB. Your margin of error is way too slim. Our Super Bowl run happened with Russ on a 3rd round rookie deal, and a number of other stars on bargain contracts. It looks like the same thing is happening now to Kansas City.

It's not as simple as saying "Russ is good. Keep him". He keeps our floor higher, but with the way the rest of the team looks, this is nowhere near a championship caliber squad.

You do what good franchise's do draft well and sign good fAs with what you have. Unfortunately PC does neither well. This team is not a championship caliber squad because of PC ls inability to adjust on both sides of the ball and his inability to draft and find good FAs.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
TwistedHusky":1pwmkzie said:

My GF is not a huge football fan but was watching with me, now and then this game.

'So are they just running the ball forward into a bunch of guys expecting them to run the ball forward?'

Anybody but Russ is going to struggle in this offense because 3/4 of the offense is running the ball into people expecting you to run the ball into them.

That said, given the circumstances. I thought Collins did one heck of a job trying to make it work tonight. The number of times he was nailed in the backfield but managed to turn it into positive yards was impressive.

If Russ had been playing I think we win that game handily.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Appyhawk":10csszja said:
TwistedHusky":10csszja said:

That said, given the circumstances. I thought Collins did one heck of a job trying to make it work tonight. The number of times he was nailed in the backfield but managed to turn it into positive yards was impressive.

If Russ had been playing I think we win that game handily.
We certainly wouldn't have been facing stacked boxes all night. Russ would have tore that game plan apart very quickly.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Rat":2v4psyby said:

What would Russ’ replacement be? Trey Lance, Justin Fields? Mac Jones?

A top 10 free agent QB that…*checks notes*, wants to play in Seattle?

Russ is an all time great. A hall of famer who throws 35+ TDs every season. 27 teams in the league struggle to find that production every year. So your statement is either biased, a bit deluded (no offense) or just flat out stubborn

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Scorpion05":v2w1njm4 said:
Rat":v2w1njm4 said:

What would Russ’ replacement be? Trey Lance, Justin Fields? Mac Jones?

A top 10 free agent QB that…*checks notes*, wants to play in Seattle?

Russ is an all time great. A hall of famer who throws 35+ TDs every season. 27 teams in the league struggle to find that production every year. So your statement is either biased, a bit deluded (no offense) or just flat out stubborn
I assume that most of the trade Wilson talks stems from the assumption that he wants out of Seattle. Wilson kind of put Pete on notice this offseason. It may come to Wilson wanting out, we may not have much choice in these matters. I wouldn't blame him for wanting out either.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Maybe. Depends on what’s available to replace him. Russ won’t be able to run around like a 25 year old forever. He’s been the best QB we’ve had, but 2-3 with him does inspire confidence to win a championship. Geno is not a starter, and if Russ was gone I would expect a new alpha to be the target.

If 35 mil was able to bring in a real stating center, improve the offensive line, a legit 3 tech DT, and improve the quality of depth across the team it would look different. This team isn’t going anywhere with Kyle Fuller at center. And how about using the full back once in a while again!

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
The real problem is russ dealing over the years while the rest of the roster hasnt lived up to expectations. You can blame it on money or draft...either way...it just hasnt. It makes me give more respect to the years we actually produced winning talent and still werent able to capitalize on back to backs SBs. Russ is far from the problem. If he was, then teams like the packers, bucs now, wouldnt still be successful. Those teams are able to draft and sign free agents capable of producing on higher levels for less.

I know what comes next after I say that...

Well brady took less money. Sure, in guranteed salary, but backend money and marketing make him happy. That doesnt explain rodgers who makes a good yearly salary.

If we are going to keep trotting out less than less developed players we will lose everytime. What most people dont understand is the need for a complete team as opposed to one player on one team. Rodgers doesnt do it all...neither does brady...neither does russ.

Until we consistently draft players that are coachable and capable of playing one specific scheme....it is over. There is no willingness to adapt and overcome. Switch schemes or press players into buying in. We play the same game and the only thing that is consistent is russ with different coordinators. Hint...not the problem either. Russ has consistently produced with different lead offensive coaching changes. We still lose the big ones.

The only answer is pete changing his philosophy and pressing his coaches or is gone. I have loved the pete carroll years, but I would be more willing to watch and live with a team that dies by exhausting all means, than one who does the same shit week in and week out expecting to pull out different results.

On a good note...defense played better tonight. Although it was Winston. I feel like with brees they would have nailed our ass to the ceiling, but with russ we would have pulled it out.

Russ playing the last two games we are 4 and 3 versus 2 and 5.

Fade

Reaction score
Rat":31s3zf2s said:

Tom Brady won the Superbowl last year counting $28M against the cap. Russell Wilson counted $31M against the cap last year.

Do you think $3M would be enough money to get the talent level between the two teams even when factoring out the QB? Of course not.

The problem is the team needs to do everything better, they need change. They've been living off of the greatness of the QB for far too long.

The Chip Kelly Eagles were a laughing stock in 2015, two years later they were Superbowl Champions. They can turn it around quick with Russell Wilson, but they have to get Pete out of there or the franchise is dead in the water for decades to come.