Jimmy G can play

xray

Reaction score
Like it not as a Hawks fan...I watched him again @ the Saints game...he can play QB @ a high level . IMO

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
He's still learning. He's likely going to be considered in the top ten in a few years when the current crop of old QBs retires. I figure he'll range from just below Cousins to just behind the most elite QBs.

But who knows what the future holds? All I know is that he has all the necessary physical tools.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":lxthwep6 said:
He's still learning. He's likely going to be considered in the top ten in a few years when the current crop of old QBs retires. I figure he'll range from just below Cousins to just behind the most elite QBs.

But who knows what the future holds? All I know is that he has all the necessary physical tools.
Didn't Belichick draft him ? not sure but think so .

Washington49er

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":31ydhlb6 said:

I know he's got a lot to learn and develop but just below Cousins? He's better than Cousins now.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Washington49er":38or6x7n said:
5_Golden_Rings":38or6x7n said:

I know he's got a lot to learn and develop but just below Cousins? He's better than Cousins now.

LOL.

He is better than Cousins RIGHT NOW. BY A LOT. It's not close.

:roll:

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":2oltgel8 said:
Washington49er":2oltgel8 said:
5_Golden_Rings":2oltgel8 said:

LOL.

I sense sarcasm but for ppl who really think Jimmy G is better this year, here is the stats.

Jimmy g has 25tds and 11 picks.

Kirk has 24 tds and 4 picks.

Yardage is almost equal.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":140j2dwj said:
SanDiego49er":140j2dwj said:
Washington49er":140j2dwj said:
5_Golden_Rings":140j2dwj said:

LOL.

I sense sarcasm but for ppl who really think Jimmy G is better this year, here is the stats.

Yardage is almost equal.

I'd rather have Garoppolo, but hard to make the argument that Garoppolo is hands down better looking at stats. Cousins has been pretty damn good this year.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":1wfob0f9 said:
SanDiego49er":1wfob0f9 said:
Washington49er":1wfob0f9 said:
5_Golden_Rings":1wfob0f9 said:

LOL.

Yardage is almost equal.

Have you ever seen Kirk Cousins win a big game, prime time game, Monday Night game, important game in your life? He is 0 - 100 career in big games. I see Garoppolo win big games all the time. He even has 400+ yards and 4 TD's sometimes. The more interceptions is in large part a result of having Emmanuel Sanders his #1 WR injured and George Kittle his #1 TE and Pro Bowler injured. They had scrubs in there for a lot of the season. He would literally hit guys right between the #'s and it would bounce off their stone hands into the air for a tipped interception.

As if stats are the only measure anyway. They are not. You either can win big games or you can't win big games. Garoppolo can and routinely does. Kirk Cousins never has and never will. He's literally 0 - 8 on Monday Night Football. Have you ever heard of anybody that bad in your life in primetime? If you can't win the big ones you aren't good period.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Marvin49":8jg77f17 said:
Shanegotyou11":8jg77f17 said:
SanDiego49er":8jg77f17 said:
Washington49er":8jg77f17 said:

LOL.

Yardage is almost equal.

I'd rather have Garoppolo, but hard to make the argument that Garoppolo is hands down better looking at stats. Cousins has been pretty damn good this year.

Jimmy G has potential, Cousins is as good as he is going to get. Based on potential I'd say he better right now.

Kap is better than Cousins

Washington49er

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":37ajsc7y said:
SanDiego49er":37ajsc7y said:
Washington49er":37ajsc7y said:
5_Golden_Rings":37ajsc7y said:

LOL.

Yardage is almost equal.

Wins?

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":13znz6fr said:
SanDiego49er":13znz6fr said:
LOL.

Some nice rose-colored glasses you have there.

How many big games have you seen Cousins win in your life? Almost none. Jimmy Garoppolo wins them all the time. You guys are used to seeing Alex Smith and Kaepernick. Those guys you had to hide and just hope your defense and running game would win. You don't have to hide Garoppolo. He can carry the team and sometimes does. He just did against the Saints. Your team was also fortunate that we had our #1 WR out, #1 TE out, 2 OT's hurt and a scrub kicker off the street when we played you. With all of that it's certainly possible we would play better. Without it that was a pretty thin offense with all the injuries. Of course it didn't help that our scrub kicker put it down the tunnel instead of through the uprights for the potential game winner. It helps to have your first string kicker.

All you have to do is look at his record. When Jimmy Garoppolo is in they mostly win. They lost last year a lot because he was injured. He mostly wins when he is in the lineup. This is no Alex Smith where you have to hide your QB and try to win handicapped.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":3my8fwkc said:
Washington49er":3my8fwkc said:
5_Golden_Rings":3my8fwkc said:

LOL.

Have you watched Cousins this year? Cousins might be a choke artist but he’s underrated. The only reason I’d take Garoppolo over Cousins is because Garoppolo seems to process a but quicker when he reads the defense correctly and he is inexperienced (which means he might have more upside). But Cousins has not played badly this year.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Don't know if all Seahawks fans know this but the Cousins comp is also funny because Shanahan basically admitted last offseason that the plan they went in with when taking over the team was to sign Cousins when we went FA, and that the only reason that didn't happen is because the Patriots called at the last second offering Jimmy for not much, and then he played well.

As for the comp, Cousins is a very good but not great QB. He goes in a bin with guys like Stafford, Romo, Matt Ryan (if he didn't have his one signature season), etc. who get crapped on because people simply lack the imagination for QBs who are in that 8-12 range but won't ever be top 5 guys.

Jimmy has a higher ceiling than Cousins at this point in their respective careers (Cousins is fully formed, and MOST of the things that make Cousins better than Jimmy are things that can be developed, which doesn't mean they will be for Jimmy), but right now IMO Cousins is the better and more complete QB.

Washington49er

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":64seqd5b said:
SanDiego49er":64seqd5b said:
Washington49er":64seqd5b said:
5_Golden_Rings":64seqd5b said:

LOL.

Have you watched Cousins this year? Cousins might be a choke artist but he’s underrated. The only reason I’d take Garoppolo over Cousins is because Garoppolo seems to process a but quicker when he reads the defense correctly and he is inexperienced (which means he might have more upside). But Cousins has not played badly this year.

Think about your own statement. "Cousins might be a choke artist but he's underrated"

Ya thats what I want in a QB, take team to the brink of a win then choke!

Tell me again how this equates to being a good QB

NINEster

Reaction score
The reasons to like Jimmy are more intangible than physical. If we go purely on stats, you could have made the argument that Cousins was better than Wilson in recent years too.

I have some friends who are Redskins fans because I lived a year in DC and have known them far longer. The *hatred* they have for Cousins is unreal........even more than what I have for Wilson as a sport hater! They still root against him even after having left because they feel he was a POS with his attitude, way more talk than ability to show up in big games. Even the players prefer Alex Smith over him largely for the same reasons.

I think the best comp for Cousins is a poor man's Aaron Rodgers -- if Cousins was a bit better/more consistent to where his stats could overwhelm people, then they would overlook his attitude. People are starting to grow tired of Rodgers, but his early SB ring and numerous dominant seasons with some breathtaking plays has given him so much slack that it took a few years to finally begin to unravel.

Ego wise, they are almost the same guy.

Now getting back to the OP, let's just put this out there once and for all:

48 points led in New Orleans when the loser scores 46 is impressive no matter how you cut it. Just about every 49er fan you know would say you'd have to go back 20 years to get another QB to do the same in a scarlet and red (or white/red) jersey.

So hopefully now we can put to bed this Mullens is better than Jimmy crap (not that this game was needed, but this game should be the final nail in the coffin). If Mullens could do what Jimmy did in NO, let's just say that we'd have never seen Jimmy play another football game after he tore his ACL in KC.

And to those that continue to fight that fight, expect more devil's advocate on Russell Wilson praise. :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

Stanley

Reaction score
Are we ignoring interceptions that went through open WR’s hands and all the TD passes called back on penalties?

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Washington49er":3ucak3d0 said:
5_Golden_Rings":3ucak3d0 said:
SanDiego49er":3ucak3d0 said:
Washington49er":3ucak3d0 said:

LOL.

Think about your own statement. "Cousins might be a choke artist but he's underrated"

Ya thats what I want in a QB, take team to the brink of a win then choke!

Tell me again how this equates to being a good QB
A qb who has to be clutch because he handed the game away on the last possession with a moronic interception is not better than a qb who wins by not throwing the pick in the first place.

THAT SAID, Jimmy G appears to be improving in that area, and should he remedy that weakness of putting himself in a position where he has to be clutch, he’ll be undeniably the better qb. He may be making that transition now.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
How many big games has Jimmy won?

Cousins is a fine QB. So is JG. Neither have done anything more than put up stats at this point.

Giedi

Reaction score
Washington49er":etd6ul8f said:
Shanegotyou11":etd6ul8f said:
SanDiego49er":etd6ul8f said:
Washington49er":etd6ul8f said:

LOL.

Yardage is almost equal.

Wins?
Yup, this is the REAL stat that matters, in my opinion.