Will the NFL season happen?

xray

Reaction score
Corona took out the NBA & NHL...March madness next ...then baseball ...and then NFL ? This off season was too long to start with . This could suck :!:

BubbaGump

Reaction score
It just took out the XFL season also according to a statement on the XFL App.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Way too early to say.

All of the suspensions are only for 30 days or so right now. Situation way too fluid to make any predictions. If its like the flu in terms of its life cycle, then we should be past it by then, but I don't think anyone can say that for sure.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The Eagles shut down their training facility. At least three other teams have said no to traveling.

I think it's inevitable that others will follow. Including and especially the Seattle Seahawks and (geographically) the Santa Clara 49ers. They can't very well not.

Free agency will be impacted and so will the draft. I don't see them doing the latter now with thousands of fans.

As far as this affecting the NFL calendar, I don't know. If we're still where we are with spread in June I doubt there will be a season, but if that happens I think most people will have far greater concerns.

EDIT1: ESPN has just said the 49ers are at least temporarily closing their facility.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":16jxd1jp said:
The Eagles shut down their training facility. At least three other teams have said no to traveling.

I think it's inevitable that others will follow. Including and especially the Seattle Seahawks and (geographically) the Santa Clara 49ers. They can't very well not.

Free agency will be impacted and so will the draft. I don't see them doing the latter now with thousands of fans.

As far as this affecting the NFL calendar, I don't know. If we're still where we are with spread in June I doubt there will be a season, but if that happens I think most people will have far greater concerns.

EDIT1: ESPN has just said the 49ers are at least temporarily closing their facility.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/49ers/status/1238220513018646529[/tweet]

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1flkf4d0 said:
I think the draft happens, the presentation will be different though.
I think much of the draft is done remotely now, isn't it? I know they like the big show for the first rounders, but the actual selections are done via link these days.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
So...ahem, does anyone know whether the Seahawks org has said anything yet?

chris98251

Reaction score
The draft will happen, it wasn't just invented and before media culture it was done just over phones without video, now they can use feeds etc and get it on the air, teams can still call players and do skype type interviews with prospects if they want. Other then their pro day work outs on Campus most the information is already tallied on players, its injury recovery prospects and late work outs for them teams will have to roll the dice on more.

The Season is a ways off yet, OTA'S will suffer, but again playbook study can still happen via electronic meetings of player groups and discussions if organized, they will have to do individual workouts more, what will be missed is players needing recovery and getting into NFL shape with the staff. They may have to have limited work outs as in head counts and or go by position groups leading up to the season.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Would they move the OTAs and training camp over to Cheney again as it would be a lot dryer and propagation of the virus would be weaker in the dry air? Is there a facility still over there?

chris98251

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1i61uegh said:
Would they move the OTAs and training camp over to Cheney again as it would be a lot dryer and propagation of the virus would be weaker in the dry air? Is there a facility still over there?

They were using Easterns (I could be wrong on the school ) facility I think, they would have to invest in upgrades I am sure once again.

Chapow

Reaction score
Training camps are still roughly 4 months off, and the season is still roughly 5 and a half months off. Way too early to have any idea if the NFL season will happen or not.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Santa Clara County just banned gatherings over 35 people. At that level, I can't imagine it won't affect some 9er recruitment activities.

It's not hard to believe that government directives affecting the Seahawks and the Giants/Jets at minimum will follow.

From a league perspective, you can't have one team soon to be potentially four being made to have a disadvantage by their local government.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The NFL on Friday notified teams they will be prohibited from allowing draft-eligible prospects from traveling to meet with team officials.

As a measure designed to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and the coronavirus, the league also is not allowing team personnel from traveling to any location to meet with draft-eligible players.

The action, which was sent out as a memo to the 32 NFL teams, is a change of course for the NFL, which said Thursday that each team was responsible for creating their own sets of guidelines.

“We have not taken this step lightly but believe that it is most consistent with protecting the health of our club personnel, draft-eligible players, and the public,” the NFL said in a statement on Friday. “It also has the ancillary benefit of ensuring competitive equality.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers ... s-outbreak

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
If this trend of isolation in the league continues into summer ; the logins for sites like .net will slowly diminish for lack of interest . IMO

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Be of good cheer X-ray.

We now have the Politics forum in addition to the Lounge and the Shack.

But on a more serious note, yes this will affect all sports sites. Fieldgulls touched on how, well, if there's no season there might not be a reason for their writers (now all employees) to hang around: https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/3/13/21 ... operations

Cyrus12

Reaction score
xray":1dgjdq9u said:
If this trend of isolation in the league continues into summer ; the logins for sites like .net will slowly diminish for lack of interest . IMO
There will be nothing to do but come on here...when we are all ordered to shelter in place..not like theres anything to watch on tv.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Whelp news broke that a Seattle Dragons player has tested positive. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/x ... _azcsports

Before that was a C-link vendor who tested positive. And before that, RW's on Twitter cheering on Oregon vs Stanford for his sister's NCAA basketball game. One of the last played for the year.

Now there's nothing on Seahawks Twitter except how they're flying in this or that free agent. Just BIZ AS USUAL. Oh wait, they postponed tryouts for the newly christened Seahawks DANCERS lol, so there's that.

Come on, Seahawks. Is it really a good idea for you to be flying FAs into Seattle right now? To keep VMAC open? JFC. Even the 49ers shut their ops down. They in this instance are being classier than the Hawks. JFC, I just want the athletes alive and healthy and their moms too!

Hawks! Do the right thing!