49ers to play Beathard, no other QBs available

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Head coach Kyle Shanahan said at his Tuesday press conference that C.J. Beathard will start at quarterback against the Cardinals this weekend. He also said he would be surprised if Garoppolo plays in the final two weeks of the season.

Beathard replaced Nick Mullens on Sunday after Mullens took a big hit from Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence and hurt his elbow. Shanahan said Mullens is set for surgery to repair the injury and said it might be the Tommy John procedure that is often performed on baseball pitchers.

The 49ers will be looking for a quarterback from another team’s practice squad to play behind Beathard. They had veteran journeyman Josh Johnson on their practice squad, but he has been placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... d-to-play/

They had four quarterbacks to start the year. Four. There's now one who will be healthy enough to go out against Arizona and no one, apparently, healthy enough to back him up.

rlkats

Reaction score
I read an article that said they niners will be hard pressed to field a full team against the Cards this weekend. This is insane. An there are people blaming the losses on other things except injuries. Glad this shitty season is almost over for us.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
rlkats":3u66cqf9 said:
I read an article that said they niners will be hard pressed to field a full team against the Cards this weekend. This is insane. An there are people blaming the losses on other things except injuries. Glad this $h!t season is almost over for us.

I'll be honest with you. IF we clinch the division next week and IF we aren't competitive with the 1-seed then I'd want and expect the 49ers to do their very best to give us a "spoiler."

In fact, I would hope for this anyway.

They have had now--what, 26 players on IR? It's a different situation than when, for example, Kyle Nelson whiffed at longsnapper and got replaced. What'll come next, Gould will go down with a groin? McLaughlin has been signed to the Jets already as their starter, so maybe they'll try the Jets guy if that happens. What's next, they'll lose one of these QBs to some freak injury and then start Jet McKinnon against Seattle?

Never mind the fact that they basically got evicted from their county three weeks ago.

There's adversity and then there's Adversity...and to me it makes the season less fun.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3a1dbw2u said:
rlkats":3a1dbw2u said:
I read an article that said they niners will be hard pressed to field a full team against the Cards this weekend. This is insane. An there are people blaming the losses on other things except injuries. Glad this $h!t season is almost over for us.

I'll be honest with you. IF we clinch the division next week and IF we aren't competitive with the 1-seed then I'd want and expect the 49ers to do their very best to give us a "spoiler."

They have had now--what, 26 players on IR? It's a different situation than when, for example, Kyle Nelson whiffed at longsnapper and got replaced. What'll come next, Gould will go down with a groin? McLaughlin has been signed to the Jets already as their starter, so maybe they'll try the Jets guy if that happens. What's next, they'll lose one of these QBs to some freak injury and then start Jet McKinnon against Seattle?

Never mind the fact that they basically got evicted from their county three weeks ago.

There's adversity and then there's Adversity...and to me it makes the season less fun.

Jesus wept..

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":38jf05jp said:
SantaClaraHawk":38jf05jp said:
rlkats":38jf05jp said:

Jesus wept..

Si, I was at the 49ers/Seahawks finale on 1/1/17. Score was 23-26, maybe 27. But it made for competitive entertainment.

How can you not be for competitive entertainment?

Them getting uprooted with no notice as to where they were going to go? Them losing even a young backup who had beat teams--including us--to freaking Tommy John surgery? Them putting 26 players on IR this season, more than anyone else? Them not having the PS QB because he's out with Covid?

C'mon man.

This isn't like the Steelers, who have managed to near collapse. It's not like the Ravens, whose S&C coach gave Covid to half the team. The most that can be said is that after the Philly game, they needed to bring someone in like Rosen.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Good for you. I was at Paul Allen's first game as owner of the Seahawks. They lost to the Jets 35-0.

But really, who cares though. It's Week 17.

I don't understand the threads dedicated to sympathizing for the 9ers. I dont think its as bad as 9ers fans want it to be, and it seems like these posts are just finding more and more reasons to make excuses for them. You took this opportunity to make yet more excuses for them. Are you a sympathizer or a 9er fan? Honest question. Because the competitive value of a week 17 game is pretty lame. The Hawks just beat a team 40-3. Was that entertaining?

And let me reiterate... who cares? They are the 9ers.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3nf4tm92 said:
Good for you. I was at Paul Allen's first game as owner of the Seahawks. They lost to the Jets 35-0.

But really, who cares though. It's Week 17.

I don't understand the threads dedicated to sympathizing for the 9ers. I dont think its as bad as 9ers fans want it to be, and it seems like these posts are just finding more and more reasons to make excuses for them. You took this opportunity to make yet more excuses for them. Are you a sympathizer or a 9er fan? Honest question. Because the competitive value of a week 17 game is pretty lame. The Hawks just beat a team 40-3. Was that entertaining?

And let me reiterate... who cares? They are the 9ers.

The Jets game was a relief but 40-3? Eh, when it comes to extended garbage time and knowing the outcome, there is no suspense left then so objectively yes it's less entertaining (although of course desirable).

And it's not like Adversity happened to the Jets that the team couldn't foresee. They have a coach who has sucked from Day 1, and they didn't get rid of him. They refused to approve Osemele's shoulder surgery. Their star defensive player is here now after doing everything he could to leave. And the thing they do with broadcasting rehabbing players' fines for being late to rehab on their widescreen? That's being despicable and childish.

The 2020 49ers didn't do anything like that. When they came in September, they were pretty stacked, they had good depth, and had extra insurance at quarterback to boot. The wheels didn't start falling off until after the first Seattle game, really--and we beat them--but they were a normal football team then.

Since? They've put 26 players on the IR. They got evicted from Santa Clara County through no fault of their own and in an action no other county has taken. If it wasn't for NFL guidance 12/19 eliminating the covid-sit period for poached PS players, they'd be putting in Jet McKinnon as backup QB instead of having him plug the obvious RB hole now that Mostert's gone.

The Adversity that they're under has been rivaled only by the Broncos that week that the league told them to sit all their QBs, wouldn't let them bring in another one, and left them no choice but to bring up a PS WR who played some QB in college.

Saints beat them 31-3. Yes the Saints' job was to beat them. It's not however like any Saints fans were laughing about how the Broncs deserved it, and that's how I feel about the 49ers, div rival or no. It's like kicking a puppy, really.

If we clinch NFCW next week and one-seed is out of reach, we should rest the crucial, definitely coming back guys that we do have viable replacements for--for our own sake since we ARE going to postseason after that game, especially on that field. We will most likely win anyway in that situation, but while preserving some of our bodies.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
You should start a therapy page for scarred 9ers fans.

The 9ers aren't a puppy.. They're a football team who played in a super bowl last year.

They don't need anyone's sympathy, even if some ask for it.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
rlkats":3p1jjzr7 said:

This from espn...

DNP -- DE D. Jordan (knee), DT J. Kinlaw (knee), S T. Moore (knee), RB R. Mostert (ankle), QB N. Mullens (right elbow), WR D. Samuel (hamstring), CB R. Sherman (calf), S J. Ward (concussion)

Limited -- C H. Grasu (knee), WR R. James (ankle)

Mullens, Deebo, Ward and Mostert are out for the year already. They might have Kittle back though.

The Saturday game will have almost unprecedented dynamics being that they're in the Cards' house playing the Cards.

rlkats

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1volpmfk said:

The 9ers aren't a puppy.. They're a football team who played in a super bowl last year.

No one is asking for sympathy. All we are saying is thank god this season is almost over. God I hope your team does not see the injuries we have had. But if it happens and hear me I hope it don’t. I will be the first here to remind you that you (just you) don’t get any “sympathy” as you call it, but respect and understanding will be given to the respectful hawk fans. And if your hawks are one and done in the playoffs I will give respectful feedback and congrats for making the playoffs to the respectful hawks fans. But you sir I will give no such respect. Your attitude and response is classless and does not have the professionalism as most hawk fans. You remind me of the pathetic classless niner fans we all hate.

Welcome to the club of the classless

rlkats

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":36qsuc4w said:
rlkats":36qsuc4w said:

This from espn...

DNP -- DE D. Jordan (knee), DT J. Kinlaw (knee), S T. Moore (knee), RB R. Mostert (ankle), QB N. Mullens (right elbow), WR D. Samuel (hamstring), CB R. Sherman (calf), S J. Ward (concussion)

Mullens, Deebo, Ward and Mostert are out for the year already. They might have Kittle back though.

The Saturday game will have almost unprecedented dynamics being that they're in the Cards' house playing the Cards.

At this point it’s time to shelf players that are playing hurt. Time to heal up.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Unprecedented dynamics? Because they are playing at someone else's stadium?

The 9ers pity party needs to move on. When did teams become so soft?

In the English Premier league, the current league leaders (Liverpool) have had 85% of their starting lineup, and 90% of their reserves miss atleast 30% of the season through injury or covid. They have played teenagers from the youth squad playing multiple games in positions to replace injured players who are literally the best in the world.

They are first in the most competitive league in the world, and in the final 32 of the elite european club competition.

To put in perspective, imagine the Seahawks losing Wilson, Carson, Metcalf, Lockett, and both tackles while also losing Adams, Wagner, both starting CBs and two Dlinemen... 1/2 for the season, the 1/2 for atleast 25% of it.

Not only are the 9ers not special in their injuries, attempts to make them that way are just excuses for a lack of mental fortitude.

Embarrassing stuff.

Fortunately, as much as I think the glamour around Shanahan is a bit premature, I've yet to hear him run down his injury list as a reason for failure. Maybe he has, i dont pay much attention to them.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
rlkats":17ymlpxx said:
Uncle Si":17ymlpxx said:

No one is asking for sympathy. All we are saying is thank god this season is almost over. God I hope your team does not see the injuries we have had. But if it happens and hear me I hope it don’t. I will be the first here to remind you that you (just you) don’t get any “sympathy” as you call it, but respect and understanding will be given to the respectful hawk fans. And if your hawks are one and done in the playoffs I will give respectful feedback and congrats for making the playoffs to the respectful hawks fans. But you sir I will give no such respect. Your attitude and response is classless and does not have the professionalism as most hawk fans. You remind me of the pathetic classless niner fans we all hate.

If you want to get personal, take it to the shack. Or, don't reply.

And yes, continually bringing up the injury "crisis" facing the 9ers in thread after thread is asking for sympathy. And I wouldn't ask for anyone's sympathy. Its cringe. If you think it's disrespectful or classless to call out a fan for trying to make excuses for a team's inability to overcome their injuries, when even their head coach doesn't, then you missed the point. Am I celebrating their injuries? Absolutely not.

"professionalism?" woof... really trying to take the high road there.

Dry your eyes.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
rlkats":235s42na said:
SantaClaraHawk":235s42na said:
rlkats":235s42na said:

This from espn...

At this point it’s time to shelf players that are playing hurt. Time to heal up.

I saw the story where KS is saying it'd be hard to field a 48 man roster for Saturday.

Normally, when a team has been eliminated from playoff contention, it can afford to evaluate the lower rungs of the roster. Plans for the next season start to take shape and players who might not normally get playing time have a chance to show they are worth an investment.

But this is not a normal year. This is 2020, and Shanahan and the 49ers simply are trying to survive.

“We’re not in a situation where we can just sit and get some guys opportunities who maybe wouldn’t have had one in the year,” Shanahan said. “Each week we’re playing with all that we have. There’s no guys behind those guys so we’re just trying to make sure we get a team ready for Saturday.”

That's why I think they play Kittle if he passes medical. It's that they must play every guy they have who passes medical.

There is a silver lining in your steaming pile of bad luck over the worsening four weeks, and that's that if Santa Clara County had given them an exemption instead of kicking them out 11/28, they wouldn't have been able to get Rosen due to SCC making everyone out of state quarantine for 10 days. Rosen's a former first rounder and at this point the best available, and his arrival and two games under the Shan system means that he can be the second or even third stringer instead of Mullens or Beathard.

Threedee

Reaction score
I actually think Beathard is better than Mullens. Of course, I used to root for him in college, because, I was always rooting for Iowa to upset the bigger teams in the B1G Conference, so, I am a little biased toward him.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1mavtgib said:
rlkats":1mavtgib said:
Uncle Si":1mavtgib said:

And yes, continually bringing up the injury "crisis" facing the 9ers in thread after thread is asking for sympathy. And I wouldn't ask for anyone's sympathy. Its cringe. If you think it's disrespectful or classless to call out a fan for trying to make excuses for a team's inability to overcome their injuries, when even their head coach doesn't, then you missed the point. Am I celebrating their injuries? Absolutely not.

Dry your eyes.

Their team has had 27 players on the IR, first in the league. They are the only team whose county evicted them, and that county did so with no notice whatsoever.

Would you be fine if the Cards hadn't let the 49ers finish their season there, on their field, in the same shared time zone knowing beforehand that familiarity with that particular field might yield a disadvantage to their own home team? Or how about if in November 2019 when Lockett ended up hospitalized, the 49ers had just said, "Well, nah, we won't lend you this machine, because after all you're a Seahawk and we don't care for the Seahawks?" Or would you rather they get their own people to get that machine to Stanford?

To me that's class, not people being soft! It's not about drying eyes, it's about opening them. Sympathy and empathy are not at all the same thing, and in this case it is impossible to feel anything but the latter for the 9ers situation.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hard not to have some empathy, we were almost in the same boat a few weeks back, being kicked out of your home and saying still show up for work and be competitive as well as try to take care of the walking wounded is a tough piece of work.

At this point it's hard to back fill and get through the protocols with all the position injuries unless you can sign a bunch that have already passed everything off others PS and ship them in in time.

The game will be more like a pick up game as far as the 49ers really.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2zkupziv said:
Uncle Si":2zkupziv said:
rlkats":2zkupziv said:
Uncle Si":2zkupziv said:

Dry your eyes.

Their team has had 27 players on the IR, first in the league. They are the only team whose county evicted them, and that county did so with no notice whatsoever.

Would you be fine if the Cards hadn't let the 49ers finish their season there, on their field, in the same shared time zone knowing beforehand that familiarity with that particular field might yield a disadvantage to their own home team? Or how about if in November 2019 when Lockett ended up hospitalized, the 49ers had just said, "Well, nah, we won't lend you this machine, because after all you're a Seahawk and we don't care for the Seahawks?" Or would you rather they get their own people to get that machine to Stanford?

To me that's class, not people being soft! It's not about drying eyes, it's about opening them. Sympathy and empathy are not at all the same thing, and in this case it is impossible to feel anything but the latter for the 9ers situation.

What are you on about?

What does playing in AZ have to do with injuries? That list of "sacrifice" to play a game is a mile long across the world. Not sure what that has to do with my post. I swear you just have have a bullet list of things to squeeze into a post, relevant or not.

AZ is not the first team to.open their stadium to another to play a game for emergency. Its been happening across the pandemic. Its happened in years past for a variety of reasons. Again... what's that have to do with my post.

Their injuries are what they are.. every one of your posts lists them out, time and again. Its professional sports. The 9ers were in the Bowl last year. I'm sure to them they believe even injured they could get back.

You dont, obviously. But thats not empathy nor sympathy..its excuse making .

I already gave you a run down of another sports team with a similar injury record who arenot just surviving, but winning.

Is it the drama or approval you want here?

94Smith

Reaction score
Seasons come and go. The last injury plagued season we were able to draft Bosa. We should be picking about 12th overall which should allow us to pick a great CB, good QB to groom, or OL. Lots of pieces on this team to build around