Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:41 am
  • Jerhawk wrote:The Ms confuse me. They struggle against teams like the Tigers and Orioles but open 2-0 series vs Rays?

Go Ms

Whoo hoo! All we have to do is start sucking a little less against inferior teams, then we'll strike fear in the hearts of whoever we face in the playoffs and the World Series!
    :sarcasm_off:
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:13 am
  • Jerhawk wrote:The Ms confuse me. They struggle against teams like the Tigers and Orioles but open 2-0 series vs Rays?

Go Ms

Back in the late 70’s and early 80’s when they really sucked for whatever reason they’d always beat up the Yankees.

I went to “Ball Night” in 1979 as a kid, and they beat the Yankees 16-1. Scored 9 runs in the first inning. Tommy John didn’t make it through the first inning for the Yanks, and Pinella hit a homer to centerfield for the only run.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:20 am
  • No sarcasm here, but I think we have the makings of a real baseball team here. We can write off the inconsistencies to their general all around youth, but overall they are showing signs of real fight and resilience. I don't expect playoffs this season, but I actually think they're gonna be in position to be a spoiler this year and a playoff contender next.

I do think we should be careful about shedding the few veteran influences we have left on the team. I'm a full on Haniger fan and hope they find a way to sign him long term as the veteran core of the outfield. Once Kelenic gets his head screwed back on, we could have 4-5 pretty solid outfielders to choose from. Even Fraley is looking like a value player.

YK is closing in on Paxton (pre-injury) value and Flexen looks like a fairly solid 3-4 starter. Gilbert has been solid so far, though it's still kind of early. Marco we know about. If we can get past the injury bug, our rotation has a decent base. Our bullpen has had moments of brilliance, but are regressing to the mean a bit lately. There appears to be some keepers in there, though.

With JP and Moore, the interior of the infield is solid. I'm not totally sold on letting Seager just go poof at the end of this season, especially since we don't seem to have a blue chip 3d baseman in the pipeline yet. If he could learn to stop pulling everything, he could hit .270+ with power. Hopefully the Evan White situation irons itself out. But with Shed Long as a utility guy, our infield is pretty solid, too.

I'm ready for the :242735:

:twisted:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:04 pm
  • sutz wrote:No sarcasm here, but I think we have the makings of a real baseball team here. We can write off the inconsistencies to their general all around youth, but overall they are showing signs of real fight and resilience. I don't expect playoffs this season, but I actually think they're gonna be in position to be a spoiler this year and a playoff contender next.

I do think we should be careful about shedding the few veteran influences we have left on the team. I'm a full on Haniger fan and hope they find a way to sign him long term as the veteran core of the outfield. Once Kelenic gets his head screwed back on, we could have 4-5 pretty solid outfielders to choose from. Even Fraley is looking like a value player.

YK is closing in on Paxton (pre-injury) value and Flexen looks like a fairly solid 3-4 starter. Gilbert has been solid so far, though it's still kind of early. Marco we know about. If we can get past the injury bug, our rotation has a decent base. Our bullpen has had moments of brilliance, but are regressing to the mean a bit lately. There appears to be some keepers in there, though.

With JP and Moore, the interior of the infield is solid. I'm not totally sold on letting Seager just go poof at the end of this season, especially since we don't seem to have a blue chip 3d baseman in the pipeline yet. If he could learn to stop pulling everything, he could hit .270+ with power. Hopefully the Evan White situation irons itself out. But with Shed Long as a utility guy, our infield is pretty solid, too.

I'm ready for the :242735:

No we are close. Super close. I wish FO would of dropped coin
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:05 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:The Ms confuse me. They struggle against teams like the Tigers and Orioles but open 2-0 series vs Rays?

Go Ms

Back in the late 70’s and early 80’s when they really sucked for whatever reason they’d always beat up the Yankees.

I went to “Ball Night” in 1979 as a kid, and they beat the Yankees 16-1. Scored 9 runs in the first inning. Tommy John didn’t make it through the first inning for the Yanks, and Pinella hit a homer to centerfield for the only run.

That's awesome! I bet that was a lot of fun watching the Ms in the Kingdome. What an experience!
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:53 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:The Ms confuse me. They struggle against teams like the Tigers and Orioles but open 2-0 series vs Rays?

Go Ms

That's awesome! I bet that was a lot of fun watching the Ms in the Kingdome. What an experience!

It’s always fun watching them kick some yankee ass (sorry Lyman). 8)
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:13 am
  • Another walkoff win last night.

This team has no quit and makes baseball fun to watch. At least when they're winning lol
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:41 am
  • Next challenge: learn how to beat AL West teams on a regular basis. :twisted:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:21 pm
  • Nice to see an NBA sell out sized crowd today at the ballpark. 18k. Another walk off win.
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:24 pm
  • Oh man! Walk off grand salami! This team is incredible.

Hopefully they keep it going
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:34 pm
  • They’ve really taken advantage of the extra inning “Manfred rule” at home where a runner starts out at 2nd, and good for them for winning most xtra inning games.
    Huge advantage for the home team. I hate the rule, but they are winning partially because of it.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:00 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:They’ve really taken advantage of the extra inning “Manfred rule” at home where a runner starts out at 2nd, and good for them for winning most xtra inning games.
    Huge advantage for the home team. I hate the rule, but they are winning partially because of it.

The M's seem to be the only team that plays it right. First guy up in the 10th, bunt the guy over to 3rd. :229031_shrug:

Nice win today. Team showing some real resilience. Gotta love the fight in them. :snack:

We're just about set up for them to break our hearts again.

:laugh:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:37 pm
  • So glad I went to the game today last minute decision. Gonzo pitched a good game, Shed with the walk off slam. First home run sandwich I've ever seen live.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:41 pm
  • Amazing series. Let's not crap it vs rockies.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:37 pm
  • I wish we could play the Astronauts now while we're hot.

I think we could beat em
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:06 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:I wish we could play the Astronauts now while we're hot.

I think we could beat em

The *nauts you mean?
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:26 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:I wish we could play the Astronauts now while we're hot.

I think we could beat em

The *nauts you mean?

You can get that on a shirt:

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:08 pm
  • And it begins. Flexen walking off the mound bottom of the 1st and the Ump stops him to check his glove, hat and belt.

Thing is, he doesn't strike me as the type to use foreign substances on the ball. Maybe it's just me. :229031_shrug:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:53 pm
  • sutz wrote:And it begins. Flexen walking off the mound bottom of the 1st and the Ump stops him to check his glove, hat and belt.

Thing is, he doesn't strike me as the type to use foreign substances on the ball. Maybe it's just me. :229031_shrug:

MLB’s version of “security theatre”.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:07 pm
  • I can't even get into the ballpark with a water bottle.

How do these MLB teams allow pitchers to get away with using foreign substances?
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:10 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:I can't even get into the ballpark with a water bottle.

How do these MLB teams allow pitchers to get away with using foreign substances?

Apparently, they're gonna stop it now. :229031_shrug:

I think they got a little carried away with the analytics, demanding higher spin rates and stuff. And I guess they don't rub down the balls with mud like they used to and they're really slick right out of the box or something.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:08 pm
  • They just confiscated Santiago's glove after he was pulled in the 5th. Apparently found something inside the glove, probably dripped/tricvkled down from his sweaty forearm. Nobody is saying what they found, the guy who certifies $h!t has it now.

Could be a 10 game suspension, which the team can't replace. :34853_doh:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:59 pm
  • sutz wrote:They just confiscated Santiago's glove after he was pulled in the 5th. Apparently found something inside the glove, probably dripped/tricvkled down from his sweaty forearm. Nobody is saying what they found, the guy who certifies $h!t has it now.

Could be a 10 game suspension, which the team can't replace. :34853_doh:

Yikes. That's really unfortunate.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:07 pm
  • Then they bring in Montero to pour more gas on the fire.
    You don’t want to win much when you bring that guy in. His ERA is 6+.
    He should be cut.

Why don’t they check Montero for foreign substances?
    As a Mariners fan I demand it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:10 pm
  • I remember watching the Gaylord Perry ejection game so that is the second Mariner
    pitcher ejected.
    They may well have the the last 2 pitchers to be ejected for doctoring the ball in 40 years.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:13 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Then they bring in Montero to pour more gas on the fire.
    He should be cut.

SH it might not matter as the M's haven't gotten one
    hit yet as of bottom of the 5th
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:21 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Then they bring in Montero to pour more gas on the fire.
    He should be cut.

...and since Marco went home to help his wife birth their baby, this turned into a bullpen day, on a double header. :34853_doh:

Not many pitchers left anyway.

They won the series against the ALC leading White Sox. I can't complain too much. :vodka:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:55 pm
  • Gotta love these M's, man! Top of 7 (in a 7 inning double header game) and Haniger rips a 3 run jack to bring it to 7-5. :mrgreen:

Sox scrambling to get their closer up and ready. :snack:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:41 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    He should be cut.

...and since Marco went home to help his wife birth their baby, this turned into a bullpen day, on a double header. :34853_doh:

They won the series against the ALC leading White Sox. I can't complain too much. :vodka:

You have minor leagues full of pitching, any would be a better choice than Montero.
    Having the same guys blow games is the fault of the ownership, front office, and manager.
    At least have a different guy come in and suck. The Yankees or redsox would have cut him a month ago.

The ownership is seeing all of the $$$ they have guaranteed the guy, so there is no way they are going to cut their losses as they’d still have to pay him. Assbackwards thinking but not surprising from the gang that can’t shoot straight.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:27 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    He should be cut.

You have minor leagues full of pitching, any would be a better choice than Montero.
    Having the same guys blow games is the fault of the ownership, front office, and manager.
    At least have a different guy come in and suck. The Yankees or redsox would have cut him a month ago.

The ownership is seeing all of the $$$ they have guaranteed the guy, so there is no way they are going to cut their losses as they’d still have to pay him. Assbackwards thinking but not surprising from the gang that can’t shoot straight.

You do realize they used 11 pitchers today, right? Montero was #10, just ahead of a guy they just callled up. :laugh:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:50 pm
  • Absolutely realized they used 11 pitchers today with the double header today.
    They could have cut Montero and brought up another arm.

Again Montero’s ERA is OVER 6. Can you tell me what Montero has done to deserve a roster spot?
    Throwing a flat and horribly located 97 mph fastball and crap secondary pitches are batting practice for MLB hitters.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:17 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Absolutely realized they used 11 pitchers today with the double header today.
    They could have cut Montero and brought up another arm.

Again Montero’s ERA is OVER 6. Can you tell me what Montero has done to deserve a roster spot?
    Throwing a flat and horribly located 97 mph fastball and crap secondary pitches are batting practice for MLB hitters.

Blew another lead, by giving up 3 runs. Again I ask the above question.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:50 pm
  • How many more games do the M's win without Montero being in the game?
    I hate to even look..Put him on the DL and bring up some real talent.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:35 pm
  • Yeah Montero is absolute ass. Has been all year, it's unbelievable that they keep him on the roster, let alone trotting him out there in close games.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:06 pm
  • Sheff continues to struggle, but the Ms pull out the win with a Dylan Moore 3 run bomb in the 10th. The Jay's can certainly hit. Let's see of Kikuchi can continue his strong performance and take the series win tomorrow.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:31 pm
  • Nice game to finish off the series win in Buffalo.

YK gives up a lead off homer in the 1st, then goes scoreless through 7. Lots of ground ball outs, then some K's late. Guy is on a tear.

Offense gets up 5-1 early, then adds on a couple in the 9th to finish 7-2.

Overall, aside from a scare in the bottom 9, a solid win against a big hitting team.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:19 pm
  • Sweep the Rays in 4, 1-1 with the Rockies, then 2-1 over both the White Sox and Jays. That is a damn solid 12 game stretch.

Keep this up and they might become buyers at the deadline.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:54 pm
  • sutz wrote:Nice game to finish off the series win in Buffalo.

YK gives up a lead off homer in the 1st, then goes scoreless through 7. Lots of ground ball outs, then some K's late. Guy is on a tear.

Overall, aside from a scare in the bottom 9, a solid win against a big hitting team.

YK has been what I expected him to be, finally. It’s great to see. Hopefully he makes the Allstar team.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:54 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:Nice game to finish off the series win in Buffalo.

YK has been what I expected him to be, finally. It’s great to see. Hopefully he makes the Allstar team.

YK deserves an Allstar bid. This is what the M's were signing way back when. Too bad it took so long, but now they have choice to make on his extension. Imagine both he and Paxton in the rotation. :shock: Oh well, wasn't to be.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:39 am
  • 4.5 back of wc.

Packed house this weekend. Does the team fall flat like prior years or stand tall?
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:25 am
  • Against Texas we should do all right. Glbert throwing tonight, he's been on a good roll for a kid. Hope the hyped up crowd doesn't throw him off his game.

:2thumbs:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:37 pm
  • Fraley .450 OBP. That is sick.
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:56 pm
  • Hector Santiago throwing the rosin bag back to the dugout, then giving up no runs much to the umps chagrin was amazing. He's becoming my favorite player quickly.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:40 am
  • What a game!!!
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:09 pm
  • Marco has been hot garbage most of the year. He threw homerun derby balls tonight.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:50 am
  • Pay em and play em... Mariners motto
    balakoth
    NET Rookie

Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:57 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Marco has been hot garbage most of the year. He threw homerun derby balls tonight.

Agree. Flexen has been a great surprise though.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:31 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:Marco has been hot garbage most of the year. He threw homerun derby balls tonight.

Marco needs pinpoint accuracy and speed control to survive. He's kind of a wannabe Jamie Moyer type. No overpowering stuff and wins on ball placement and speed adjustments. He took time for maternity leave and looked like he had months of rust to slough off.

I could definitely see Flex as a long term answer at #3/4 in the rotation. Having that dependable inning eater at the back end can be invaluable.

YK is looking like the Ace going forward. Guess the team will have to do something on that option they hold or they'll lose him to a big market team.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:36 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:Marco has been hot garbage most of the year. He threw homerun derby balls tonight.

Marco needs pinpoint accuracy and speed control to survive. He's kind of a wannabe Jamie Moyer type. No overpowering stuff and wins on ball placement and speed adjustments. He took time for maternity leave and looked like he had months of rust to slough off.

I could definitely see Flex as a long term answer at #3/4 in the rotation. Having that dependable inning eater at the back end can be invaluable.

YK is looking like the Ace going forward. Guess the team will have to do something on that option they hold or they'll lose him to a big market team.

Solid stuff.

Mariners 3.5 back
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:34 pm
  • Only 3.5 back but can’t see us hanging with Tampa and Oakland. Those are two really well ran franchises, who are can win now. We aren’t really suppose to be where we are, and I still don’t think we become buyers at the deadline.

Pretty amazing to be in the position that we are. With Fraley doing so well, I wonder if that makes Haniger more expendable. I still think we need to keep the goal for next season. I want to see us spend about 70 million (assuming they don’t resign Seager) in the offseason. Resign Kikuchi. Go get a solution for 2B, 3B and add another great arm to the rotation.

With our run differential being negative, just feels like the spark will run out.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:11 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information