Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:18 pm
  • On the plus side, we learned from the Asterisk series that our lineup is capable of scoring 6+ runs in a game. On the down side, it revealed that our starting pitching is still a mess.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:39 pm
  • Assuming we don’t make another trade. I feel like it was a fairly lackluster deadline for us. Obviously we aren’t pushing hard for the playoffs this season. I do think both trades help in the long term. But with a ton of teams in contention trading for impact guys, I don’t see us making the playoffs.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:02 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Assuming we don’t make another trade. I feel like it was a fairly lackluster deadline for us. Obviously we aren’t pushing hard for the playoffs this season. I do think both trades help in the long term. But with a ton of teams in contention trading for impact guys, I don’t see us making the playoffs.

I'd like to have seen something to get us through the playoff's but.. big but, I'm sure anything we got would have come at the expense of next year and the following years. Personnaly I'm happy not to have blown the farm system for the chance we make the play off. I don't want to be the Seahawks in a situation, where we are just good enough to make the playoff's and out. This year is a good stepping stone for next year.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:08 pm
  • Well, deadline is past and I didn't hear of any last minute deals.

Gonna be an interesting couple of months going forward. Are we good enough to catch the A's for the 2d wild card? We're gonna find out.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:05 pm
  • So, basically they traded Graveman, got the players mad, got a slightly better closer, and that's it.

Sums up a Mariners trade deadline.
    Meanwhile the Cubs were having a firesale and we didn't even flinch
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:04 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:So, basically they traded Graveman, got the players mad, got a slightly better closer, and that's it.

Sums up a Mariners trade deadline.
    Meanwhile the Cubs were having a firesale and we didn't even flinch

I think it may be slightly better than what you said, but the damage it may have caused in the clubhouse may wipe out any positives you made in the trades.

All I heard from the M’s front office is “hey, we tried!”, been hearing that every year of this team’s existence. That dog won’t hunt anymore.

When you hear the mid to low level prospects other teams traded away to get superstars, Seattle could have gotten much more without giving up top prospects.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:29 pm
  • Maybe we got a new bat after all.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:50 pm
  • New guy with 2 more hits. JK with 2 hits including a 3 run Jack. :2thumbs:
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:46 pm
  • Hopefully this gets JK going. We need to take advantage of a Texas team that just got rid of Gallo, their closer and Gibson.

I’m kind of disappointed with the deadline but I get it. I honestly think Dipoto doesn’t believe the team can really compete for the playoffs as of now. He is all about next season. I’m fine with the few moves we made, but it puts that much more pressure on the off season.. A lot of the guys we did see get traded at the deadline will be available, guys like Scherzer, Baez and Schwarber. I’m fine with us not going after these guys now, but when these guys become free agents, we need to try to bring them here.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:16 pm
  • I think DiPoto is admitting that we don't really have that good of a shot to catch the 'Stros and win the division, and that it would be silly/stupid to sell the farm right now for just a wild card spot.

We kind of stood pat, and I'm good with it. I'm not sure that Gravy had the temperament to be a true closer. Castillo is throwing hard, but a little wild out there right now. :pray: Overall, I think we may have made a couple of incremental improvements, but no big splash deals.

With what happened in the OF I'm glad they didn't deal Hanniger, but I've been saying that all along.

And Castillo shuts them down. Not a save situation, but a decent first showing.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:03 pm
  • Well today’s game ended sucky.
    It happens, closers blow games. On to tomorrow.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:09 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Well today’s game ended sucky.
    It happens, closers blow games. On to tomorrow.

What? No "same old Mariners snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" speech? :twisted:

J/K Tough loss. And with Marco not being the Marco of last year, tomorrow doesn't seem all that certain against a team we should be able to handle. Angie was saying we haven't won a series in Texas since 2018 or so.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:57 am
  • Need to win today's game. Lets go Marco. Hopefully Angels can do us a favor again.

Still don't see us making playoffs, if I had to guess, I'd say we actually finish behind Toronto and the Yanks but we will see. Those teams added so much at the deadline. As long as we play competitive baseball and stay in the race through early September I'll be satisfied.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:52 pm
  • Good Marco showed up today. :2thumbs:
    Tired of watching bad Marco pitch BP.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:58 pm
  • Apparently, the bullpen is still mad at Jerry. :34853_doh:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:31 pm
  • ok that didnt look good
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:46 pm
  • I guess I can't blame it all on the bullpen. The hitters left 5 or 6 runs out there all day. :les:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:19 pm
  • Bad luck hitting today by Crawford.

But this was a series they shouldn't have lost if they really want to make the post season.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:15 pm
  • Yep, crappy ending. This is a what I feared might start happening. The bullpen outside of Montero has been aces all year.
    They wasted a rare great outing by Marco.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:11 pm
  • To quote Rob Schneider: "Oh, no! We suck again!"
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:12 am
  • This just feels like regression to the mean. We won so many close games, now we are losing close games. Bullpen has been so reliable until now. Does it have anything to do with the Graveman deal? From what I heard he was a leader in the clubhouse, which likely means he was the leader in the pen.

You can’t blow two games against Texas and expect to make the playoffs. We play the Rays, Yankees, Texas and then the Blue Jays. Decent chance we are completely out of the race in a couple weeks.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:23 am
  • Terribly disappointing series. Should have swept them, instead we get walked off twice.

But the Mariners have been doing this all year, losing to teams they should beat, and then winning series against top teams.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:23 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:This just feels like regression to the mean. We won so many close games, now we are losing close games. Bullpen has been so reliable until now. Does it have anything to do with the Graveman deal? From what I heard he was a leader in the clubhouse, which likely means he was the leader in the pen.

You can’t blow two games against Texas and expect to make the playoffs. We play the Rays, Yankees, Texas and then the Blue Jays. Decent chance we are completely out of the race in a couple weeks.

Spot on. I’m hoping the Graveman deal reaction in the clubhouse was overblown and this is just a regression to the mean.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:48 pm
  • Flex being Flex, another outstanding performance for his 10th win.
    Offense decided to get hits with men on base today.
    Good win.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:52 pm
  • Nice bounceback game. Come to think of it, we've kind of had Tampa's number this year. We are 5-0 against them. :mrgreen:

Really nice to have Jake Fraley back. Big contributer tonight, in the field and at the plate. :2thumbs:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:00 am
  • sutz wrote:Nice bounceback game. Come to think of it, we've kind of had Tampa's number this year. We are 5-0 against them. :mrgreen:

Really nice to have Jake Fraley back. Big contributer tonight, in the field and at the plate. :2thumbs:

I really like Farley. He is everything that today’s MLB hitter isn’t. Hits to all parts of the field and can get on base. Not sure how he fits in down the road with all the OF prospects, but would be a great utility and full in guy. He’s make us a much better team.

M’s just like to lose to bad teams and beat good teams. Hopefully that’s the trend because not many weak opponents on the schedule in August.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:36 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    sutz wrote:Nice bounceback game. Come to think of it, we've kind of had Tampa's number this year. We are 5-0 against them. :mrgreen:

I really like Farley. He is everything that today’s MLB hitter isn’t. Hits to all parts of the field and can get on base. Not sure how he fits in down the road with all the OF prospects, but would be a great utility and full in guy. He’s make us a much better team.

M’s just like to lose to bad teams and beat good teams. Hopefully that’s the trend because not many weak opponents on the schedule in August.

Too bad the Asterisks aren't complying with that trend. As for weak opponents, none have a worse record than the Diamondbacks right now. Guess that means we can go ahead and pencil in six Ls for Sept. 3, 4, 5 and 10, 11, 12.
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:02 pm
  • Seems that Toro can hit.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:55 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:Seems that Toro can hit.

Yeah that should ease the player's anguish of losing Graveman
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:59 pm
  • Castillo had his first really bad outing with us on the blown the other day.. but him... plus Toro who is a MASSIVE improvement over Shed and can play almost all the infield positions is a major boost.

I get people were upset, but this just makes sense and this guy is showing it.. lets see if Castillo can get the save or hold tonight
    balakoth
    NET Starter

Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:22 pm
  • This team...man. What a season.

This is the most fun I've had watching the Mariners in 20 years. My dad finally upgraded his Comcast to get Root Sports lol. That's really saying something!
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:33 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:This team...man. What a season.

This is the most fun I've had watching the Mariners in 20 years. My dad finally upgraded his Comcast to get Root Sports lol. That's really saying something!

Maybe he’s a big Seattle Kraken fan? ;)
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:45 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:This team...man. What a season.

Lol we are looking forward to that.
    We go to Spokane Chiefs games every once in awhile. But my hockey knowledge is very limited!

But he really likes the Mariners. Jake Fraley is his favorite. Its great how sports can bring families together.

Ok thats enough Jerhawk
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:17 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:This team...man. What a season.

Lol we are looking forward to that.
    We go to Spokane Chiefs games every once in awhile. But my hockey knowledge is very limited!

But he really likes the Mariners. Jake Fraley is his favorite. Its great how sports can bring families together.

Ok thats enough Jerhawk

Limited hockey knowledge myself, but I cannot wait for the season to start.
    As frustrating as the Mariners can be to watch at times you can see they are on the rise.

Once Rodriguez, Marte, Kirby, etc etc etc. get up it’s going to be good.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:25 pm
  • We play well against the Rays, no matter what kind of season they are having. I always look forward to that.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:46 pm
  • didnt have a good feeling about this yankee series, now i really dont.
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:15 pm
  • Just thought.. Walk the guy...he's been crushing us all game.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:32 pm
  • Yankees spend the big bucks and prospects on Gallo. Yankees get the win. Tough to compete with until our prospect live up to the hype.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:38 pm
  • Not a fan of that tiny right field. JK got a yankee stadium cheapy as well I know, just wish Mitch had a little more carry on that hanging breaking ball he almost hit out for the last out.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:15 pm
  • Yankees spent big bucks chasing a wild card slot. Not so smart for us this year IMO.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:08 am
  • Is it me, or does the M's remind anyone of the early 70's Oakland A's championship team. OK, they arn't that good but.. the A's were a bad hitting, good pitching team, that had one intangible and that was they were clutch. M's have some some of the same qualities.. just a younger version of them, I think. I don't know if anyone remembers the ole A's with Jackson, All the Blue pitchers, Catfish and all.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:31 am
  • Bobblehead wrote:Is it me, or does the M's remind anyone of the early 70's Oakland A's championship team. OK, they arn't that good but.. the A's were a bad hitting, good pitching team, that had one intangible and that was they were clutch. M's have some some of the same qualities.. just a younger version of them, I think. I don't know if anyone remembers the ole A's with Jackson, All the Blue pitchers, Catfish and all.

I think the M’s starting pitching isn’t deep enough. They need to get a couple of quality starters in the offseason and then mix in a Kirby and Hancock as well.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:00 pm
  • 2 straight walks? Not good 2 sub 200 players
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:02 pm
  • Hate to dump on a guy after only a couple of games, but Castillo has sucked more than he's been good so far.

2 walks and a hit batter? :34853_doh:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:04 pm
  • Yanks have used 10 pitchers.. how many is there on a team?
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:20 pm
  • Yeah this team is broke, still though at least they got Toro. I'm looking forward to the 2022 Mariners thread.
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:23 pm
  • Good Marco showed up tonight, and his effort got wasted by crappy offense and crappy pen.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:32 pm
  • I saw a post that said the mariners are 3-7 since the infamous trade, with 5 blown leads. I don't know what other proof you need to see to deduce that Dipoto destroyed team morale with that trade.
    beastalamode
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:19 am
  • beastalamode wrote:I saw a post that said the mariners are 3-7 since the infamous trade, with 5 blown leads. I don't know what other proof you need to see to deduce that Dipoto destroyed team morale with that trade.

Small sample size but you may be on to something. I think his timing couldn’t have been worse.

I’ve felt they’ve been playing above their heads at times.

Run differential isn’t the end all be all of stats, but it says their record is better than it should be.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:11 am
  • This new closer sucks. Awful control. Weak breaking stuff.

Toro has a nice bat, but that will cool off.
    Trading Graveman has been Dipotos biggest blunder by far.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:53 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information