The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Is it me, or does the M's remind anyone of the early 70's Oakland A's championship team. OK, they arn't that good but.. the A's were a bad hitting, good pitching team, that had one intangible and that was they were clutch. M's have some some of the same qualities.. just a younger version of them, I think. I don't know if anyone remembers the ole A's with Jackson, All the Blue pitchers, Catfish and all.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2a3oi5ji said:
Is it me, or does the M's remind anyone of the early 70's Oakland A's championship team. OK, they arn't that good but.. the A's were a bad hitting, good pitching team, that had one intangible and that was they were clutch. M's have some some of the same qualities.. just a younger version of them, I think. I don't know if anyone remembers the ole A's with Jackson, All the Blue pitchers, Catfish and all.
I think the M’s starting pitching isn’t deep enough. They need to get a couple of quality starters in the offseason and then mix in a Kirby and Hancock as well.

sutz

Reaction score
Hate to dump on a guy after only a couple of games, but Castillo has sucked more than he's been good so far.

2 walks and a hit batter? :34853_doh:

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Yanks have used 10 pitchers.. how many is there on a team?

Crizilla

Reaction score
Yeah this team is broke, still though at least they got Toro. I'm looking forward to the 2022 Mariners thread.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Good Marco showed up tonight, and his effort got wasted by crappy offense and crappy pen.

beastalamode

Reaction score
I saw a post that said the mariners are 3-7 since the infamous trade, with 5 blown leads. I don't know what other proof you need to see to deduce that Dipoto destroyed team morale with that trade.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
beastalamode":29y0nbnp said:
I saw a post that said the mariners are 3-7 since the infamous trade, with 5 blown leads. I don't know what other proof you need to see to deduce that Dipoto destroyed team morale with that trade.
Small sample size but you may be on to something. I think his timing couldn’t have been worse.

I’ve felt they’ve been playing above their heads at times.

Run differential isn’t the end all be all of stats, but it says their record is better than it should be.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
This new closer sucks. Awful control. Weak breaking stuff.

Toro has a nice bat, but that will cool off.
Trading Graveman has been Dipotos biggest blunder by far.

Threedee

Reaction score
sutz":36nx817c said:
Yankees spent big bucks chasing a wild card slot. Not so smart for us this year IMO.

Are we still paying Cano, or is the dumbest contract in M's history fully settled?

balakoth

Reaction score
LOL People here are .. just wow

YOu are honestly upset we traded a damn Player who .. for the first time ever decided to play well on a contract year?

vs Castillo has been statistically better.

Castillo has blown one save / lead

If this "messed up the morale" of our BP or team these kids need to go work at Taco Time... How mentally weak can a professional 6 figure play be for god sakes..

According to you guys here... very mentally weak. Keep Graveman wasn't going to save us against the damn Astros, or the Yankees etc. Stop making excuses for a team that just isn't there yet

Jerhawk

Reaction score
balakoth":26k982lx said:
LOL People here are .. just wow

YOu are honestly upset we traded a damn Player who .. for the first time ever decided to play well on a contract year?

vs Castillo has been statistically better.

Castillo has blown one save / lead

If this "messed up the morale" of our BP or team these kids need to go work at Taco Time... How mentally weak can a professional 6 figure play be for god sakes..

According to you guys here... very mentally weak. Keep Graveman wasn't going to save us against the damn Astros, or the Yankees etc. Stop making excuses for a team that just isn't there yet

They were 23-8 in 1 run games with Graveman.
Castillo is a bum

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I don’t think we were going to make the playoffs regardless if we traded Graveman or not. I’m not sure how I feel about the trade. I do think we are better in the long term, but to disrupt winning chemistry on a team that hasn’t won a lot in the past is tough.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3rub6u20 said:
I don’t think we were going to make the playoffs regardless if we traded Graveman or not. I’m not sure how I feel about the trade. I do think we are better in the long term, but to disrupt winning chemistry on a team that hasn’t won a lot in the past is tough.
This is where I’m at. It was a bad short term move, but in the long run with Toro will be a good trade.
Timing sucked though. It looks like “reality” is setting in on this years version of the Mariners team and they are regressing to the mean.

IMHO wasted an an opportunity last year to call kids up and get experience in a throw away season.
They could have gotten thru Kelenic’s and Trammell’s growing pains out of the way and be further along in the process.
Kelenic is finally starting to hit. Maybe I’m full of it, but if he goes the struggles last year, he is likely hitting out of the gate this year.

But this ownership/FO is more worried about arbitration clocks, sadly.

sutz

Reaction score
Umps have sucked this whole series. Balls and strikes all over the place. JK finally gets fed up and gets his ass tossed. So Servais had to go out and get his ass tossed as well. Gotta love the fire he's been showing lately.

Cal Raleigh with the add-on RBI in the 8th. Two run lead. :pray:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":2omxjg3x said:
Umps have sucked this whole series. Balls and strikes all over the place. JK finally gets fed up and gets his ass tossed. So Servais had to go out and get his ass tossed as well. Gotta love the fire he's been showing lately.

Cal Raleigh with the add-on RBI in the 8th. Two run lead. :pray:
JK needs to be situationally aware that they were short handed with Crawford being ill (he went in anyways) but besides that I have no problems with him getting tossed late in the game. The home plate umping sucked all series, the umps need to be BETTER.

Good win, but the offense is getting anemic in scoring runs again.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Looking at the scores of that 10 game road trip, it was actually the offense that was the main cause of going 4-6 in that stretch. The bottom of the line up is painfully bad. The pitching was good enough to win believe it or not.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I'm tired of making excuses for Kelenic. His actions today were so selfish.

You're batting under .150 dude. Shut up and do better. If I was his teammate I'd be getting tired of his games.