#1 Defense vs #1 Offense in the Super Bowl

irocdave

Reaction score
I get all the hand wringing, backed up by stats. I just don't see the Pats keeping up with Atlanta. This isn't the same dominate D verse great offense the OP is making it out to be. The Falcons have a very solid team, and the offense can run or throw while still being dominate. Their D isn't to shabby either. I feel a blowout coming, and Atlanta will be the team celebrating.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":3k6khben said:
Uncle Si":3k6khben said:
Atlanta's regular season record: 11-5

In terms of scoring defense, the Falcons vaunted offense played against top 12 ranked defenses 4 times: Seattle, Denver, KC and Philly. They went 1-3 (beating Denver).

Atlanta has reaped the benefit of a fairly soft schedule just as much as New England has.

Are you using "vaunted" seriously or sarcastically?

TBH I'm tired of debating it. New England fans are humping the leg of the #1 scoring defense animal to no end... it was much more fun debating with Seattle fans.

"I'm tired of debating it... here is more debating.." It's always my favorite when people post "here's a video of one of 4317 sports broadcasters who agrees with me.. see.. I'm right because Rich Eisen!"

Point is, as much as there seems to be this decree to pick apart the Patriots D here, the Falcons have not fared well (again, 1-4 against teams in the top 12 in scoring D). Both fan bases are "humping the leg" of their #1 ranking.

Just trying to balance the facts out there. Seems a bit one sided. Should make for a good game. And again, I'm pulling for Atlanta. But I wouldn't put money on either.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
irocdave":pi7ep20p said:
I get all the hand wringing, backed up by stats. I just don't see the Pats keeping up with Atlanta. This isn't the same dominate D verse great offense the OP is making it out to be. The Falcons have a very solid team, and the offense can run or throw while still being dominate. Their D isn't to shabby either. I feel a blowout coming, and Atlanta will be the team celebrating.

Let's hope so. :mrgreen:

Uncle Si":pi7ep20p said:
"I'm tired of debating it... here is more debating.." It's always my favorite when people post "here's a video of one of 4317 sports broadcasters who agrees with me.. see.. I'm right because Rich Eisen!"

Point is, as much as there seems to be this decree to pick apart the Patriots D here, the Falcons have not fared well (again, 1-4 against teams in the top 12 in scoring D). Both fan bases are "humping the leg" of their #1 ranking.

Just trying to balance the facts out there. Seems a bit one sided. Should make for a good game. And again, I'm pulling for Atlanta. But I wouldn't put money on either.

Phew... thanks for clearing that up.

As for the Seattle/Denver/Philly/KC games that you speak of... the only one that was after the bye (the point at which the Falcons started to play better) was the KC game in week 13... shoulda woulda coulda been a W... Ryan throws a game winning TD to take a 28-27 lead then throws a game losing pick 2 to lose 29-28. The other games were weeks 5,6, and 10 prior to the week 11 bye when the team was giving up 28 PPG on D vs the 19 PPG they've given up since the bye.

That 1 mistake is the only reason Atlanta isn't on an 8 game winning streak headed into the Super Bowl.

Of course I'm one sided but I'm still gonna list the stats relevant to the point I'm trying to make... and Atlanta is hot which is a good place to be this time of year.

Glad you're pulling for Atlanta. In a year when the Cavs win their first title ever... the Cubs win their first in 108 years I hope the trend continues with Atlanta winning their first. :2thumbs:

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I'm rooting for the Falcons and I think they have a great shot. As has already been stated the Patriots may be #1 in scoring against but they are nowhere close to being as good as the Seahawk and Bronco defenses were.
I think the Falcons score pretty easily on them. My only concern is I think the Patriots will be doing the same.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1idszeiy said:
I'm rooting for the Falcons and I think they have a great shot. As has already been stated the Patriots may be #1 in scoring against but they are nowhere close to being as good as the Seahawk and Bronco defenses were.
I think the Falcons score pretty easily on them. My only concern is I think the Patriots will be doing the same.
I think the Falcons are going to go up by a two-score lead in the first half and then the Patriots will come back and make it a game in the second half, and I hope the Falcons win but I'm not sure who will.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":148a3rwe said:
Phew... thanks for clearing that up.

As for the Seattle/Denver/Philly/KC games that you speak of... the only one that was after the bye (the point at which the Falcons started to play better) was the KC game in week 13... shoulda woulda coulda been a W... Ryan throws a game winning TD to take a 28-27 lead then throws a game losing pick 2 to lose 29-28. The other games were weeks 5,6, and 10 prior to the week 11 bye when the team was giving up 28 PPG on D vs the 19 PPG they've given up since the bye.

I do find it amusing that you so nonchalantly blow off any point made in favor of the Patriots or against the Falcons and then adamantly call out Patriots fans for doing the same.

Atleast your consistent. No point in bringing any more stats into it really.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2p5ezxqi said:
I do find it amusing that you so nonchalantly blow off any point made in favor of the Patriots or against the Falcons and then adamantly call out Patriots fans for doing the same.

Atleast your consistent. No point in bringing any more stats into it really.

Not nearly as amusing as your posts hating on:

1) The Falcons
2) My posts

But yet you claim you're pulling for Atlanta.

Ok. (I really don't care who you're pulling for... it's just hilarious that every post you make is bringing up reasons why the Falcons might lose the game... as if you are trying to argue with me about it when I post stats backing up my reasons for being confident in an Atlanta victory)

You obviously don't agree with my posts and that's fine, we can agree to disagree.

BTW, the moral of my last post was:

What the Falcons did in the week 5,6,10 games you brought up aren't really relevant to week 22. It's cool that they are 1-3 against the "best" defenses in games played 3 months ago which have no bearing on Sunday. Atlanta has improved since then and is on fire entering the Super Bowl... 7-1 in the last 8 games with the only loss being a 29-28 game they gave to the Chiefs. I don't think any other game was even close... other than the week 17 game with the Saints where Drew Brees padded his stats in garbage time.

I'm gonna quit responding to your posts now... please do the same. I've got nothing else to say about it. We don't agree and that's fine with me. :2thumbs:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
And there you go again..

I am pulling for Atlanta. For lots of reasons. I also think they will win. But I digress. It's not a question of agreeing. I think the Falcons offense against the Pats D is the key matchup. I'm offering stats that suggest it might not be the roll over you continue to suggest it will be (while pointing out your fairly obvious bias in the stats you put forth) That's part of the discussion. Even then you can't see past that bias. When did any of my posts say "this is why Atlanta will lose?" I can actually see the Falcons being up 10-14 points early on and winning rather comfortably.

What's "amusing" is how quickly you come to attack any statistics that don't support your team while bashing Patriot fans for doing the same thing. So, even an arbitrary stat is met with a quick attempt by you to counter... (on a Seahawks board... which again I am still baffled by)

I just don't think you want anyone else's opinion or thought on the matter. because when it doesn't jive with yours you just (hypocritically) shoot it down.

You won't resist though.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2umdznqv said:
And there you go again..

I am pulling for Atlanta. For lots of reasons. I also think they will win. But I digress. It's not a question of agreeing. I think the Falcons offense against the Pats D is the key matchup. I'm offering stats that suggest it might not be the roll over you continue to suggest it will be (while pointing out your fairly obvious bias in the stats you put forth) That's part of the discussion. Even then you can't see past that bias. When did any of my posts say "this is why Atlanta will lose?" I can actually see the Falcons being up 10-14 points early on and winning rather comfortably.

What's "amusing" is how quickly you come to attack any statistics that don't support your team while bashing Patriot fans for doing the same thing. So, even an arbitrary stat is met with a quick attempt by you to counter... (on a Seahawks board... which again I am still baffled by)

I just don't think you want anyone else's opinion or thought on the matter. because when it doesn't jive with yours you just (hypocritically) shoot it down.

You won't resist though.

You're right... and I'm fine with other people's opinions. We've got about 6 Patriot fan/trolls over at Falcons.com giving us their daily message about how the Patriots D is gonna shut us down because Belichick is a master game planner and Brady is Brady.

It's cool... doesn't bother me at all.

I'll say it one more time.. I'm fine with other people's opinions. I will still continue to call out things I don't agree with... and that doesn't mean I'm not fine with whatever opinion I don't agree with.

As for your thoughts... I can see Atlanta being up 10-14 pts early as well... based on how they've played the last 2 months.... 7-1 down the stretch in rather dominating fashion.

I could also see the game being a 37-34 game where either team can win. I haven't made a score prediction because I'm torn... either team can win a close game... or the Falcons can win by 2 scores.

Agree about the Falcons O vs the Pats D being the key matchup. I'm torn about the Falcons rolling over them as well... sure they could... they are a historic offense. It could also be a close game that either team wins. The Pats may be the #1 scoring defense but I don't consider them historic when compared to say.. .the 2013 Seahawks. Not even close.

Maybe I'm coming off as biased in how I'm wording my posts... but I'm really not. B&B are the GOAT and I'm not disputing that. I'm still confident we can kick their ass though. There is nothing about Atlanta's game over the last 8 weeks that has me worried.

I think they win the Super Bowl as long as they protect the football which they have done all year (11 giveaways tied with Pats for best in NFL)... :)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The Pats are certainly not an historic #1. And I fully support your facts picking holes in their rating. I merely wanted to show that the Falcons have struggled (a little) with the better D's

Maybe this is the wrong side of the ball to focus on...

How does the Pats O against the Falcons D compare? Have to figure the Pats want to keep the ball as long as possible with each drive.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Uncle Si":33vd0xdm said:
The Pats are certainly not an historic #1. And I fully support your facts picking holes in their rating. I merely wanted to show that the Falcons have struggled (a little) with the better D's

Maybe this is the wrong side of the ball to focus on...

How does the Pats O against the Falcons D compare? Have to figure the Pats want to keep the ball as long as possible with each drive.

I agree.... The Falcons have somewhat struggled against better defenses.

24 @ SEA
28 vs KC
23 @ DEN

It's right there.

No doubt the Pats are gonna try to run and keep Ryan on the sideline. The Falcons must pressure Brady. They did a nice job vs Rodgers and must continue.

I'm glad Quinn has experience in this game!

Hawks46

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2d1iy0h1 said:
Natethegreat":2d1iy0h1 said:
I think the Falcons are going to go up by a two-score lead in the first half and then the Patriots will come back and make it a game in the second half, and I hope the Falcons win but I'm not sure who will.

Probably the closest I've seen to anyone calling the outcome. Good call Ro.