1 punch 2 lives altered Jets' 2015 locker room fight

ivotuk

Reaction score
One punch, two lives altered: The inside story of Jets' 2015 locker room fight

Brandon Marshall, Jets wide receiver: That was the issue. [Smith] kept putting him off, putting him off. For Geno, what was disrespectful was -- just pay the man his $600. Just fix the situation. But to keep pressing, "I'll get you, I'll get you, I'll get you ..." I think that was the problem.

Reilly: We get to training camp and IK is asking him about it. That day, he asks him. I was sitting right there; my locker was next to Geno. Geno just kind of says, "Just chill, man, forget about it. What are you going to do if I don't pay you?"

Marshall: I remember looking to my left and seeing Geno kind of like give a look like, "Ha, ha, ha," like laughing a guy off and shrugging him off. All of a sudden ... boom! Geno is in a locker.

Reilly: IK reaches back and clocks him -- a full swing. He hit him basically with an upper cut/cross to the jaw.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/296 ... room-fight

To Geno's credit, he had this to say:

Smith, in a 2016 interview with ESPN: When I look back on this when I'm 40, 50 years old, I'll ask myself, "What time in my life made me a man?" I think this was that time in my life.

It was so easy to say, "Hey, this is not my fault. I'm the victim here, and this guy should be going to jail."

Instead, I manned up. I owned it. I took responsibility for whatever actions I had in that altercation and I chose to let that fuel me to become a better man and a better player.

Maulbert

Reaction score
ivotuk":1n64al3n said:
One punch, two lives altered: The inside story of Jets' 2015 locker room fight

Brandon Marshall, Jets wide receiver: That was the issue. [Smith] kept putting him off, putting him off. For Geno, what was disrespectful was -- just pay the man his $600. Just fix the situation. But to keep pressing, "I'll get you, I'll get you, I'll get you ..." I think that was the problem.

Reilly: We get to training camp and IK is asking him about it. That day, he asks him. I was sitting right there; my locker was next to Geno. Geno just kind of says, "Just chill, man, forget about it. What are you going to do if I don't pay you?"

Marshall: I remember looking to my left and seeing Geno kind of like give a look like, "Ha, ha, ha," like laughing a guy off and shrugging him off. All of a sudden ... boom! Geno is in a locker.

Reilly: IK reaches back and clocks him -- a full swing. He hit him basically with an upper cut/cross to the jaw.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/296 ... room-fight

To Geno's credit, he had this to say:

Smith, in a 2016 interview with ESPN: When I look back on this when I'm 40, 50 years old, I'll ask myself, "What time in my life made me a man?" I think this was that time in my life.

It was so easy to say, "Hey, this is not my fault. I'm the victim here, and this guy should be going to jail."

Instead, I manned up. I owned it. I took responsibility for whatever actions I had in that altercation and I chose to let that fuel me to become a better man and a better player.

Shouldn't this be in the NFL Forum?

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm glad he took responsibility as opposed to saying "Dude punched me for no reason!"

I put it here because he's our backup, and for whatever reason, this story has come out again. So I wanted to highlight the fact that Geno took responsibility for his actions, and regretted it ever coming to this.

Kudos to him.

Also, several players on the Jets team thought Geno's career as a starter was taking off, but the broken jaw cost him his job as starting QB, and now he's been relegated to backup.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Geno has had his opportunities to show that he's starter quality. Before and after getting his jaw broken. The "he was starting to break through as a starter" is a typical media bogus narrative. If Geno was good enough, focused enough, the jaw would have been a speedbump on the road. He is what he is, an NFL backup fill-in QB, not so much a guy you build a team around. It pays well above average and involves less of a beating than many other options.

Glad Geno has chosen not to play the victim. IK probably needed the $600 to make rent in NY, money that was chump change to QB Geno.