#1 seed in the NFC

Crizilla

Reaction score
KINGGRUMPY":1krl2zfe said:
Crizilla":1krl2zfe said:
I still think we will drop 1 or 2 away division games.

To who?

we lost to both Arizona and St Louis last year. Those aren't automatic. SF is still a very good team, they might get hot later in the year. I would gladly take 4-2 vs the division.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":f9qmoocd said:
E.C. Laloosh":f9qmoocd said:
I like your enthusiasm but SF fans were predicting an 8-0 start going into the bye week right after that Green Bay game. Point being, stuff happens. I'm completely confident that our team is capable of doing all that, just not comfortable predicting it after 4 weeks.

Once I realized we were only down by two scores in the 3rd and our D started to lock them down, I actually thought we'd tighten things up and win or lose by less than 7 points yesterday. Confident, yes, didn't think the chances were higher of doing so, just felt like we were still "in it". Sort of how I feel about 13 or 14 wins right now. Confident, but it's the NFL and the NFL is tough!
Stuff has already happened and we're sucking it up and winning and in #1 position.

Which is wonderful. Does that mean we all have to assume we're going to win 10 of the next 12 or are we allowed to have a more realistic set of expectations?

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I think it IS time to start looking at the math. Cuz that's what HFA is about, the math. It is very possible, in fact probable, that we go undefeated at home. That means we are right now looking at probably being 10-0 not counting our 6 remaining road games. Say we drop ONE home game, not improbable, then we're looking at being 9-1 not counting our 6 road games.

13-3 PROBABLY locks up HFA. How do we clinch that? Well, the NO game is huge, of course. It's the primary battle for HFA at the moment. Then we have to go on the road and either split 3-3 or (if we drop a home game) win 4-2.

@Indy, @Atl, @SF, @St.L., @AZ, @NYG

The last three on that list look very winnable. We win one of Indy, Atl or SF on the road, then I have to say HFA will be decided by who wins vs NO.

What this discussion is about, and what we can glean from it as fans, is that, given this math, say Tennessee, which has been playing lights out, comes into CLink and upsets us, how does that affect our chances to get HFA? Well, now we seriously have to beat NO, but that's a given anyways, only now we have to win all three vs St.L., AZ and NYG AND we better pull out at least one of Indy, Atl, or SF.

Say we beat Indy this Sunday. We could be easily looking at 6-2 on the road, but now a loss to those three weaker opponents won't hurt us so much.

That's how this helps us analyze where we stand in the big picture, which is HFA.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
I think if we go 1-0 every week starting this week, we just might be a lock for HFA. Not sure though, I'll get back to it.

KINGGRUMPY

Reaction score
Crizilla":19x5gyyh said:
KINGGRUMPY":19x5gyyh said:
Crizilla":19x5gyyh said:
I still think we will drop 1 or 2 away division games.

To who?

we lost to both Arizona and St Louis last year. Those aren't automatic. SF is still a very good team, they might get hot later in the year. I would gladly take 4-2 vs the division.

I just don't see us losing to Arizona or St. Louis this year. SF of course is a possibility as always but with the way the last 3 games have gone against them I think I wouldn't bet against Seattle in SF. With that said, anything can happen in these damn division games.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
We need to fix our offensive line. We can't count on a pick-6 and 4th qtr heroics every week if we don't produce the first 3 qrtrs.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
We are going to lose some games this year.

I expect those losses on the road.

I am chalking up 8-0 at home again, the team and the home field advantage is too much for other teams.

We have two road wins thus far, so I am assuming 10 wins already.

With six to go on the road, we only need a split to go 13-3.

I like our chances.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
The Radish":15mh1sv2 said:
Only a quarter of the season played so far. I think you're getting the cart ahead of the horse.

:roll:

If your horse isn't fast enough, get it the hell out of the way 'cuz this cart is coming thru like it or not. :stirthepot:

I agree, we should be playing for HFA now for sure because if we wait til the end of the season it will be entirely too late to start. What ever it takes to keep the foot on the gas and keep winning is all that matters.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3f6y3iwc said:
...given this math, say INSERT TEAM NAME HERE [Tennessee], which has been playing lights out, comes into CLink and upsets us...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Didn't mean to blow off the rest of your excellent post Salish but got a kick out of this part

Nearpost

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":3ikk8i5c said:
Nearpost":3ikk8i5c said:
Got a question re strength of schedule.I read on here that we have a tougher schedule than the 49'ers. But when I googled a bit, it said we have a slightly easier schedule. As 49'ers went to superbowl, that is what I expected.

Is the feeling on here that we have a slightly easier schedule?

Go check the 49ers boards from right after they lost to SEA and you'll know who they think has the tougher schedule. It's one of the crutches that they're using to justify thinking they'll still win the division.

Fair enough, thank you.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I think it's time to start paying attention to what we have to do to get the #1 seed. Why not? That is a key to helping us get to a Super Bowl that will be outside and probably in snow, something our team is BUILT FOR.

I mean, I think our team can win in NO, but I KNOW our team, in the playoffs, can do to NO what they did to the Panthers back in 2005.

Anyway, I hate that @ARZ is a road game on a short week. How I wish it was a home game on a short week. @STL also scares me a bit, as bad as they looked against SF. SF also has a better OL than us at this point.

However, if Seattle goes 2-1 in the next three road games (@IND, @ARZ, @STL) and takes care of business at home against the Titans, that would put them at 7-1 with home against NO and @ATL and @SF as their three hardest games. Even if they drop a game at home, they still would only have to win two of their last three road games to get to thirteen. I think twelve will win HFA after tiebreaks, so if they can take ATL and NYG or SF and NYG on the road, they should take it.

If they go 8-0 at home, they only have to win one of those away games. If they win the next three road games, you can probably pencil them in for thirteen wins barring catastrophic injuries.

Man, this win in Houston was HUGE. If they beat Indy this week and then do what they should be able to do and beat ARZ (on a short week, but at least it's at night) and STL on the road, that would be really amazing.

HawkWow

Reaction score
My offseason prediction not only remains the same, but I am even more confident now (in regards to regular season play...but less confident that we'll win it all).

Yes, we have 75% of the reg season left, but barring the unforeseeable, I am:

90% certain we sweep the division
100% certain we win every home game.
75% certain we are top seed in the NFC
75% certain we will represent the NFC in the SB.

25% certain we win the SB (vs. *Denver).

* As of this writing, should Denver be our opponent, I don't see us winning the game by playing 2 qtrs. of football. Manning is a killer and will cut us up before we wake up, likely building a halftime lead that will be insurmountable. We need to start clicking on the road, like soon.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
At least the Super Bowl is at night. And in cold weather. If Denver makes it, Joisey in February is the best possible place to have a matchup with Manning. If it was in Miami, I would be praying for a cold weather game in New England to happen to the Broncos. Heck, I'm still praying for that.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Being a late game definitely helps us (along with 15 cases of Redbull) and it will be interesting to see how Peyton does in the cold up until the SB. After the 3 neck surgeries, arthritis is a given....but to what degree? The obvious advantage, should Peyton continue to play well in Denver, is he will be well acclimated to the cold by kick-off in the SB. Us, perhaps not so much. IF we show up and play well for 3+ qtrs., there's no team that (overly)concerns me, including Manning's Broncs...but as pointed out too many times in this thread, a lot can happen (and will) between now and Feb.

GO PHINS!

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":30vmq3v2 said:
Lords of Scythia":30vmq3v2 said:
E.C. Laloosh":30vmq3v2 said:
I like your enthusiasm but SF fans were predicting an 8-0 start going into the bye week right after that Green Bay game. Point being, stuff happens. I'm completely confident that our team is capable of doing all that, just not comfortable predicting it after 4 weeks.

Once I realized we were only down by two scores in the 3rd and our D started to lock them down, I actually thought we'd tighten things up and win or lose by less than 7 points yesterday. Confident, yes, didn't think the chances were higher of doing so, just felt like we were still "in it". Sort of how I feel about 13 or 14 wins right now. Confident, but it's the NFL and the NFL is tough!
Stuff has already happened and we're sucking it up and winning and in #1 position.

Which is wonderful. Does that mean we all have to assume we're going to win 10 of the next 12 or are we allowed to have a more realistic set of expectations?
Winning 10 of the next 12 is a realistic expectaion. It's just about right.

Sac

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":3soiowz1 said:
E.C. Laloosh":3soiowz1 said:
Lords of Scythia":3soiowz1 said:
E.C. Laloosh":3soiowz1 said:

Winning 10 of the next 12 is a realistic expectaion. It's just about right.

To me, sir, that is pessimism.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3elpnhzg said:
At least the Super Bowl is at night. And in cold weather. If Denver makes it, Joisey in February is the best possible place to have a matchup with Manning. If it was in Miami, I would be praying for a cold weather game in New England to happen to the Broncos. Heck, I'm still praying for that.
Yes. Good call. Manning's a total weather pussy.

The Radish

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":d4eow5jn said:
The Radish":d4eow5jn said:
Only a quarter of the season played so far. I think you're getting the cart ahead of the horse.

If your horse isn't fast enough, get it the hell out of the way 'cuz this cart is coming thru like it or not. :stirthepot:

I agree, we should be playing for HFA now for sure because if we wait til the end of the season it will be entirely too late to start. What ever it takes to keep the foot on the gas and keep winning is all that matters.

Tell you what I think. If you people spent as much time allowing other peoples opinions as you do whining/bitching at anyone that differs from yours things would be a lot more pleasant here. Remember its attack posts and not posters.