10am starts question.

OP
OP
R

RichNhansom

Reaction score
gaucho":ds6vu7p5 said:
Laloosh":ds6vu7p5 said:
I get the body clock thing but sometimes you just have to pick your battles.

Going back to the 70's, teams in "West" divisions have fared better than "East" division teams on the road, in the playoffs, in eastern time zones, in early games.

West
E89Btxs

East
MYvgm22

I'm aware that some of those teams are not on the west coast.

To be fair, I pulled a different result set with an emphasis on scoring margins and the west coast teams are demonstrably worse.

West
UxLfpWA

East
8z9fwYm

Thing is, only 3/8 teams in West divisions showed improvement in the 3rd quarter and 4/9 teams in East divisions improved in the 3rd quarter.

If you saw shrinking deficits or increasing leads across the board in the 3rd quarter for the West, I might be more inclined to think that it's a bigger factor but to me, I don't see how you can measure it's impact.

I appreciate you bringing statistics, but I don't think any of those samples are large enough to be anything other than anecdotal.

I've studied this topic in depth. 10am starts are a large disadvantage. This is not surprising when you understand the physiology behind it (called chronobiology). It decreases your chance of winning almost 10%. It costs you about 3 points. It is a bigger disadvantage than east coast teams playing primetime games on the west coast, and is 4x as prevalent.

This paper (mine) was published by the American Society of Exercise Physiologists yesterday. Take a look if you want specifics. I wish every west coast NFL fan would read this as their outrage could convince the league to make the necessary changes.

https://www.asep.org/asep/asep/JEPonlineFEBRUARY2016_Brian.pdf

As I said on another thread, I am not a seahawk fan, but facing these back to back in the playoffs was horribly unfair.

Great article. I am still reading through it but very impressed with what I have read so far. Pretty unbelievable. Nice work.

gaucho

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1e71svg6 said:
gaucho":1e71svg6 said:
I appreciate you bringing statistics, but I don't think any of those samples are large enough to be anything other than anecdotal.

I've studied this topic in depth. 10am starts are a large disadvantage. This is not surprising when you understand the physiology behind it (called chronobiology). It decreases your chance of winning almost 10%. It costs you about 3 points. It is a bigger disadvantage than east coast teams playing primetime games on the west coast, and is 4x as prevalent.

This paper (mine) was published by the American Society of Exercise Physiologists yesterday. Take a look if you want specifics. I wish every west coast NFL fan would read this as their outrage could convince the league to make the necessary changes.

As I said on another thread, I am not a seahawk fan, but facing these back to back in the playoffs was horribly unfair.

Great article. I am still reading through it but very impressed with what I have read so far. Pretty unbelievable. Nice work.

Thanks man! You guys have been super friendly and very interesting to converse with. I'm glad I stumbled across this place.

OP
OP
R

RichNhansom

Reaction score
gaucho":1eudu5l2 said:
RichNhansom":1eudu5l2 said:
gaucho":1eudu5l2 said:

Thanks man! You guys have been super friendly and very interesting to converse with. I'm glad I stumbled across this place.

Just don't let your guard down. We can be over sensitive like any fan base from time to time. But you've been a great addition to the forum. Hope you stick around.