11-3! Whoo! But Dang Heart Attack Hawks!!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
30-10 should have been the final. Sounds right. Yet, inexplicably, this team continues to be allergic to wide margin victories. I guess I should double up on my BP meds on gameday, that would be the prudent move. I realize the defense was without 3 starters so there is that. However, I am thrilled this team has managed to win 7 road games this season. That is absolutely spectacular.

Kudos to the players and coaches for achieving what will no doubt be a very, very rare record indeed.

11-3 and still in total control of our destiny for these final two home games. That final game against the 49ers is going to align like we all assumed, and has the potential to be the Game of the Year, not just for us, but league-wide. Hopefully we can get Clowney and Shaq back next week and beyond. Ziggy? Well...Don't think he has mattered to be honest.

I am trying to figure out why Russell doesn't run anymore. Is he being told to be more of a pocket passer? Use his escapability less? Not all that long ago, Russ was a legitimate threat to use his legs just as much as his arm to hurt any defense. Now it seems like he is taking sacks quite easily instead of rolling out of the pocket at the snap. I counted a few plays today that he could have read optioned and kept the ball for a mile of easy yards. What gives? It's not like he is injured, nor old. This is the prime of his career. I would love insight into this from anyone with more X's and O's knowledge than me.

11-3. Let that sink in. This has been a frustrating and fun season for sure. Just would prefer I don't need an ambulance ride during a game.

chris98251

Reaction score
As hard as it is not to we have to look at Arizona first, secondly get healthy.

None of it matters in week 17 if we don't get those two things working for us, week 17 won't be as relevant.

As far as winning going away, this franchise just doesn't do it, Pete must have some margin in his head where he pulls back the defense and plays prevent and on offense not to lose. Week after week we seem to have a game in hand and putting up numbers and points only to see it disappear unless we are behind. We just look ugly playing with a lead.

Wilson not running I think is another thing, with a lead he doesn't risk it whether it's directed or design, I don't think he is hurt, we have seen him move the chains in games that have implications, 49ers and Rams, not as much against others again unless were playing catch up.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Good point re: Russ. I noticed during Rams game instead of taking off he would study the ground at his feet as though finding the best place to go down. To be sure defenses are pointedly working to keep him contained, but he has passed on his chances for sizable gains. Go figure.
It's hard to look past the results though. 11-3. Never ever saw a pro football team play so many teams with wider range of level to such consistently close scores. Amazing.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Playing prevent defense in the 4th without Clowney, Diggs, Wagner, Griffin, Kendricks, Ansah, and whomever else, was always going to give up a few yards.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Appyhawk":jl768zal said:
Good point re: Russ. I noticed during Rams game instead of taking off he would study the ground at his feet as though finding the best place to go down. To be sure defenses are pointedly working to keep him contained, but he has passed on his chances for sizable gains. Go figure.

It's the biggest conundrum for me this year. Why isn't Russell Wilson using 1/2 of his God-given talent (legs) this season like he has in year's past? Why is the read option dead in our system? Yes, I get that Carson got 133 yards on the ground and that is fantastic, but I still think we are disabling part of Wilson's repertoire if you will. Sure, he's not going to ankle break defenders with juke moves like Lamar Jackson, but the man still has more than enough ability to frustrate defenses with his legs...And even with Carson's production we are talking about plays that could continue to move the chains instead of punting.

I am the first to admit, my X's and O's IQ is not in the upper range like some. That's why I am wondering if it's a scheme thing or there's factors going on during the game I am simply not seeing which would predicate the game he is playing today versus the game he used to play.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Aros":270nj7pc said:
Appyhawk":270nj7pc said:

It's the biggest conundrum for me this year. Why isn't Russell Wilson using 1/2 of his God-given talent (legs) this season like he has in year's past? Why is the read option dead in our system? Yes, I get that Carson got 133 yards on the ground and that is fantastic, but I still think we are disabling part of Wilson's repertoire if you will. Sure, he's not going to ankle break defenders with juke moves like Lamar Jackson, but the man still has more than enough ability to frustrate defenses with his legs...And even with Carson's production we are talking about plays that could continue to move the chains instead of punting.

I am the first to admit, my X's and O's IQ is not in the upper range like some. That's why I am wondering if it's a scheme thing or there's factors going on during the game I am simply not seeing which would predicate the game he is playing today versus the game he used to play.

Could be that at 20M instead of 2M investment protection has become very important?

John63

Reaction score
Yup Wilson not running as much as some want is why we are only 11-3, and the reason he is not running is because he is looking at the ground to fall down, lol pathetic.

John63

Reaction score
seedhawk":3tyzu1lp said:
Aros":3tyzu1lp said:
Appyhawk":3tyzu1lp said:

Could be that at 20M instead of 2M investment protection has become very important?

:pukeface:

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
John63":cey8k5u0 said:
Yup Wilson not running as much as some want is why we are only 11-3, and the reason he is not running is because he is looking at the ground to fall down, lol pathetic.

Easy bud. These are valid questions and if you just want to be a smart ass take it somewhere else.

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":x8uub14p said:
John63":x8uub14p said:

Easy bud. These are valid questions and if you just want to be a smart ass take it somewhere else.

Aros I also think it is the Schotty influence on his game to read the field, go through options and throw away more then try to make something out of nothing till Hero ball time.

Also Bevell was the OC calling read option a lot more for Wilson, it's still part of the play book but not one designed by the play caller Schotty.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Not sure, but I think the odds of my having a heart attack watching the Hawks is greater than PC dying of natural causes. lol. No disrespect to PC!

Good one, Aros. I was almost going to start a thread with the same title.

Down to the wire, PC getting his 100th regular season win, Carson having yet another 100 yard game, awesome passer rating for Russ, fingertip catch by Gordon, INT off Gordon, 3 INTs...man, I love watching the games.
But yeah, I wish they would just put one away.
I gotta stop drinking so much java on these early games and switch to beer sooner!

Go Hawks!

sutz

Reaction score
Remember guys, Russ has always said he never looks to run first. He's always looking downfield for an open guy when he scrambles. Teams have fine tumed the controlled pass rush against us, and his spin move hss been neutralized most times. And yes, he still gives up too many of those 7 second sacks. :229031_shrug:

Now, I agree that he should probably keep it more often on those RO plays, he seems to give up some good rushing yards on those plays some games. I'd really prefer he do that in the 1st qtr some times. Lately he waits until the 4th, which sometimes makes it more effective, maybe, but he seems to miss out on some yards there.

Given the shape of our D by the second half, I'm not surprised we gave up a cheap TD at the end. Thankfully, the O made a couple of key 1st downs.

John63

Reaction score
Aros":1y9yq4dw said:
John63":1y9yq4dw said:

Really saying he is looking at the ground for a place to fall is valid?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
John63":3eeh842m said:
Aros":3eeh842m said:
John63":3eeh842m said:

Yes it is.

At times he does.

And at times its the right call as it keeps him from taking big hits.

But it also handcuffs what used to be a bigger part of his game.

Would be nice to have some of that threat back.

And contrary to what you belive Anthony! it is ok to constructively criticize our amazing MVP QB. He's a big boy. He can take it.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Aros":mk9wh1mc said:
John63":mk9wh1mc said:

The only way to kill a troll is to starve it to death.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
If you think we had it bad today, check out the Golden Boy Niners game right now. 13-10 at home against Atlanta in the 4th? Perspective.

Side note: I had to turn the volume down on the game. Kenny Albert:

'Kittle is CHEWING UP the defense here today.'

Really? They are up 13-10 at home at the end of the 3rd quarter? Kittle is DESTROYING them. Blurg.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
19-17 now.

Guess even the mighty niners struggle at home agaisnt terrible teams.

If you read these boards enough, you would think it was just "play it close" Pete :)

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Aros":eufwhxxr said:
John63":eufwhxxr said:

Never critique Wilson around this guy...he wont stand for it. Legit or not.

SlickRick

Reaction score
Falcons Win baby let's gooooooo 9ers lose and rams took a L today lets go Seattle back in 1st place let's gooooo!!!! 23-22 Falcons !!!

John63

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1m5wfq0d said:
John63":1m5wfq0d said:
Aros":1m5wfq0d said:
John63":1m5wfq0d said:

Yes it is.

At times he does.

And at times its the right call as it keeps him from taking big hits.

But it also handcuffs what used to be a bigger part of his game.

Would be nice to have some of that threat back.

And contrary to what you belive Anthony! it is ok to constructively criticize our amazing MVP QB. He's a big boy. He can take it.

Constructive criticsim is one thing making bs up is another. Saying he is looking at the ground to fall on is complete bs.

Latest posts