12th man overload? when is it enough?

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
its up to them what they want on the rings.

my money is they might actually want some reference to 12 on the ring. whether that is in some small 12 flag on etched in part of a seattle skyline that forms part of the ring with a space needle....

i have seen the rings with the score and i personally, think that is a waste. each player will probably want their own name on the side but i suspect there is probably going to be a few options for non player rings.

keep in mind, there are a good number of people that will get rings. so non player ones have to have some options of what to put on the sides.

personally, it would not bother me if it did not but i have a very hard time thinking that with all sorts of stuff than has gone on other teams rings, a small 12 somewhere has to be there.

will i be crushed if there is nothing...nope.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They won the superbowl, why would anyone care if there was a 12 on there? Would it be cool, sure, but does it matter? Not at all.

sc85sis

Reaction score
The Seahawks organization chose to make the 12th Man part of the team's identity when they retired the 12 jersey and created the 12 flag. They further solidified that relationship with the 12 references on the current uniform. And they confirmed it for all time with all the references by Paul, John, Pete and the players to the 12s and how special their relationship is to the team.

The 12s are part of the team, just like the coaches, trainers, et al. We energize the players. We affect the other team by being so loud. The 12s helped cause the fastest score in Super Bowl history when the Broncos couldn't hear Peyton Manning's snap count.

No, I don't think it's too much.

Kansashawkfan

Reaction score
sc85sis":1c9tfwos said:
The Seahawks organization chose to make the 12th Man part of the team's identity when they retired the 12 jersey and created the 12 flag. They further solidified that relationship with the 12 references on the current uniform. And they confirmed it for all time with all the references by Paul, John, Pete and the players to the 12s and how special their relationship is to the team.

The 12s are part of the team, just like the coaches, trainers, et al. We energize the players. We affect the other team by being so loud. The 12s helped cause the fastest score in Super Bowl history when the Broncos couldn't hear Peyton Manning's snap count.

No, I don't think it's too much.

Exactly ! Our number was the first to be retired in 1984, 11 years before Largent's #80. If we as fans have our own jersey number, then we ARE part of the team. I have been a "12" since the first season, even if it was 8 years before 12 was retired. I AM A 12! LOUD AND PROUD! We all are.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
YYZHawksFan":1wnp83u1 said:
its up to them what they want on the rings.

my money is they might actually want some reference to 12 on the ring. whether that is in some small 12 flag on etched in part of a seattle skyline that forms part of the ring with a space needle....

i have seen the rings with the score and i personally, think that is a waste. each player will probably want their own name on the side but i suspect there is probably going to be a few options for non player rings.

keep in mind, there are a good number of people that will get rings. so non player ones have to have some options of what to put on the sides.

personally, it would not bother me if it did not but i have a very hard time thinking that with all sorts of stuff than has gone on other teams rings, a small 12 somewhere has to be there.

will i be crushed if there is nothing...nope.

I have been on vacation and only recent saw the rings. They are almost exactly as I expected them to be. I was a little off on where the 12 flags would be but pretty close... :lol:

Kaiser

Reaction score
I love the team/fan connection it brings. So few pro sports franchises have anything to represent it, and none this strongly.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The 12s were a part of the journey.

They are also an important piece of who the Hawks are, right down to the # of stylized feathers on the uniforms. And they ultimately fund the team itself, as well as make the stadium comfortable and filled with energy, which in turn improves the performance of the players. And finally the tremendous noise DOES affect the performance of opposing offenses.

So yes, they deserve to be on that ring.

But where the line gets crossed, I think, is when fans start wanting to wear rings themselves. Yes they helped. Yes, they were a part of the journey. But you would be stretching things to say they "earned" it. The players sacrificed time with families, their health, and spent countless hours of preparation and grueling practices to get to that point. THEY earned it.

We cheered them on.

There is a creeping inclination to take more and more credit for the phenomenal accomplishment of that team. They won because they had a great coaching staff, a phenomenal QB, a ridiculously tough and driven runningback, one of the best secondaries in NFL history (at least top 10), talented LBs, WRs that were tough with a tremendous instinct to fight for the ball, and a great pass rush.

It was incredible accomplishment to not only win, but to be one of the better/more dominant teams in years.

After years of watching losing teams, it can be tempting to say we "deserved" this because we stuck it out but not all 12s were around for the down years anyway. Give the players the credit and enjoy that this team embraces the fans as a part of them. But please don't wear the rings. You didn't earn it, those players did.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I have no issue with the 12s being a huge thing. The only time it starts to get a little iffy for me is when it starts turning into taking something away from what the player's accomplish on an individual level. It hasn't happened often but it happens, especially when the media likes to talk about a certain guy as if his accomplishments are partially due to playing in front of our crowd. "Richard Sherman is good but it sure helps to have that crowd behind him".

That's one reason I was hoping the "12" part wasn't overly-represnted on the ring. In the end it was represented more than I was hoping, but in a way I actually liked, tastefully done, and it was our first time winning so I expected it to be a part of it. But that ring is something the players will keep forever. i just want to know that when the player looks at the ring he thinks "you had the greatest fans" and not "you had help."

A

Anonymous

Throwdown":37iavccm said:
HoustonHawk82":37iavccm said:
Jay-Dog":37iavccm said:
Imagine a stadium without fans.

I just puked in my mouth a little...

Jacksonville wonders if that's not normal.

I thought that's where people go for peace and quiet?

You know, to take a nice 3-hour afternoon nap?

sutz

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2t3v7hpx said:
But that ring is something the players will keep forever. i just want to know that when the player looks at the ring he thinks "you had the greatest fans" and not "you had help."
Why wouldn't he think both thoughts? They are not mutually exclusive. ;)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
THUGCAPS":2x8tnsyy said:
In my opinion, it gets to be overkill when fans want a 12 on the superbowl ring. There is no doubt that the team loves the fans and realizes their impact but a 12 on the ring just seems cheesy to me.
Are you kidding me?
It's a "Symbiosis" thing, now maybe you think it's over the top that 'Tiffany's' was instructed to incorporate the #12 as an appreciation to the die hard fans, but who do you think it was that instructed that the 12 be on the uniforms, and those rings, to show gratitude for their extraordinary support? It most certainly wasn't the 12th fandom.
Also, both the Players and the Fans love being a part of something bigger than just themselves.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":37psu1ge said:
The 12s were a part of the journey.

They are also an important piece of who the Hawks are, right down to the # of stylized feathers on the uniforms. And they ultimately fund the team itself, as well as make the stadium comfortable and filled with energy, which in turn improves the performance of the players. And finally the tremendous noise DOES affect the performance of opposing offenses.

So yes, they deserve to be on that ring.

But where the line gets crossed, I think, is when fans start wanting to wear rings themselves. Yes they helped. Yes, they were a part of the journey. But you would be stretching things to say they "earned" it. The players sacrificed time with families, their health, and spent countless hours of preparation and grueling practices to get to that point. THEY earned it.

We cheered them on.

There is a creeping inclination to take more and more credit for the phenomenal accomplishment of that team. They won because they had a great coaching staff, a phenomenal QB, a ridiculously tough and driven runningback, one of the best secondaries in NFL history (at least top 10), talented LBs, WRs that were tough with a tremendous instinct to fight for the ball, and a great pass rush.

It was incredible accomplishment to not only win, but to be one of the better/more dominant teams in years.

After years of watching losing teams, it can be tempting to say we "deserved" this because we stuck it out but not all 12s were around for the down years anyway. Give the players the credit and enjoy that this team embraces the fans as a part of them. But please don't wear the rings. You didn't earn it, those players did.
One of the Seahawks biggest fans, Billionaire Paul Allen, didn't have to play a single down, but he no doubt, has a Super Bowl ring, and I'd wager that he wears it with pride.

chris98251

Reaction score
It's a handshake relationship going back to early in our history in the Kingdome, in fact really back to the Huskies, the fan base here was always known as rabid football fans. That transferred to the Seahawks and gained recognition in the Dome for our ability to cause false starts, inability to hear plays called etc. That legend grew to decible level readings, and earthquakes now.

It's about our support, it's about the pride the team has in our support and our enthusiasm as fans for the team.

WE ARE NOT BIGGER THEN THE TEAM, pat yourselves on the back sure if we influence things at times but we are not owed a damn thing other then the best product that can be put on a field and the best effort these guys can give us win our lose. We have supported the team in both cases with one exception, Behring declaring he was leaving town. That was the only time we had a dip in support here, and it was not a wholesale abandoned situation even then.

Enjoy that we are recognised, enjoy that the team recognises us and wants us as part of THEIR identity, but don't think we are bigger then the team and the sum of it's parts. It's a handshake, it's trusting that both sides will be there.

Barthawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":2ckkvkb8 said:
Throwdown":2ckkvkb8 said:
HoustonHawk82":2ckkvkb8 said:
Jay-Dog":2ckkvkb8 said:
Imagine a stadium without fans.

Now for $850 a seat.. you can chill in a cabana and soak in a hot tub..and watch a football game..

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I think all those idiots dressing in green suits and looking like circus clowns are definitely in full blown overload mode.

Attention hors that are fans yet are more interested in being seen and doing their GameDay stichk than the outcome of the game.

Could do without them

A

Anonymous

Barthawk":jd43r01v said:
HoustonHawk82":jd43r01v said:
Throwdown":jd43r01v said:
HoustonHawk82":jd43r01v said:

Now for $850 a seat.. you can chill in a cabana and soak in a hot tub..and watch a football game..

Wasn't that Tampa that got the tubs?

BTW, they are glass-fronted, so folks walking by can have underwater photo ops.