12th man overload? when is it enough?

UGotHawked

Reaction score
Hawkalypse":astywcxm said:
As for the OP's question, never enough. The 12s and the team have a symbiotic relationship with each other that push each other beyond any physical limitations towards greatness (SB win, all pros, pro bowls, legendary defense, breaking world records, invading and taking over opposing team's stadiums ect.). This team is great and would have won a title eventually with a different fanbase but I ascertain it would not be this soon nor would the defense have the impact it has had. Lastly, without the 12s doing what they do best, making some noise, this team is playing in Anaheim period.

Love this! Easy answer is NEVER! I'll wager that there are 31 other franchise owners and teams that with they had what we do.

Donn2390

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2aj4564d said:
I love that they have a national reputation and that they brought it at the Super Bowl. That being said, I think it gets overdone when fans start doing stuff like flying "12" banners over opposing stadiums. Don't see the practical benefit in that besides getting in the papers and riling up the opposition.
So you do see the practical benefit it that..! I knew you'd figure it out...

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
When I wear my 12 jersey, I'm not thinking "me me me" or "fans fans fans".

For me it's an acknowledgement of all Seahawks unity. You, me, the coaches, the players, all of us. 12 is nothing less than an acknowledgement of the 11 men on the field PLUS all of us who root for them.

Collectively, the fans in the stadium - who bring the NOISE on game day - and the fans in taverns and homes all over the world, we are 1.

All together: unstoppable. 12.

kearly

Reaction score
There was some study done on home field advantage, and it basically concluded that 31 NFL teams are all functionally identical for home field differential, except for Seattle, who stands out from the group by quite a bit.

Every fanbase cheers when their team makes a play, and every fanbase makes at least a little noise when their defense is on the field, but there really isn't another team in pro-sports who's fanbase takes it upon themselves to impact a game like the twelves do. The difference between the 12s and the rest is that the 12s never feel that they are merely watching a football game, they are a part of it, just as the name suggests.

The anti-noise rule the NFL once tried to enforce was silly, but by attempting to enforce it I think it served as a tacit omission by the league that fan activity impacts the outcome of football games. The twelves understand this and have created a fan culture to impact games with noise. I don't see that fan culture anywhere else in pro-sports right now. It is very unique to Seattle.

You would think that other fans would see what Seattle is doing and copy it themselves, but for whatever reason the hardcore nature of the 12th man culture does not jive well with most fanbases.

I think there is a bit of a perfect storm in Seattle for creating the 12th man. The decades of East Coast bias, the hardening that comes from starting off 37 years without a ring, the desire for pridefulness that invariably accompanies isolation (and the 12s are definitely a prideful bunch, which is why all the other fanbases hate us). Hell, even our genetics make us a little predisposed to be a bit warped, as most people in Seattle are Scandinavian (meaning they descended from Vikings, who weren't exactly famous for being even-keeled). I don't really see too many fanbases that have those same elements, and the few that do (Oregon, WSU) also originate in the NW.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
chris98251":2alnb5by said:
WE ARE NOT BIGGER THEN THE TEAM, pat yourselves on the back sure if we influence things at times but we are not owed a damn thing other then the best product that can be put on a field and the best effort these guys can give us win our lose.

Enjoy that we are recognised, enjoy that the team recognises us and wants us as part of THEIR identity, but don't think we are bigger then the team and the sum of it's parts.
I just read this whole thread, and I really am confused. Chris, I am responding specifically to your post, but it is representative of a bunch of others, and I don't get what you're on about.

Who the heck is saying we are bigger than the team and the sum of its parts? Has there been anybody among this fan base who has claimed that the 12th Man was so much a part of their victories, that they would have been a worse team with a more normal crowd?

As far as I can tell, we are just relishing the role we have in games, which is substantial according to the players and coaches and FO and media and opposing teams. And we thoroughly enjoy the recognition and appreciation of the players and coaches etc.

People in this thread are complaining about us getting too much recognition as the 12th Man, as if we were the ones out there lobbying for the players to say something about us or put a 12 on the rings and uniforms. There's nothing bad or unreasonable about wanting that recognition and appreciation, and enjoying it when it comes our way. And the players sure as hell don't resent it. (They do resent a few individual 12s making asses out of themselves in public by demanding autographs and photos when the players are out with their loved ones, but that's a different conversation.)

It's one thing to be sick of the media overdoing something -- that happens a lot, and it is annoying. But getting upset about how much publicity the 12th Man gets from the Seahawks players and coaches and FO and owner? And thinking that the players might somehow resent us for it? I just don't get what the objection is.

chris98251

Reaction score
BlueTalon":2fps08fo said:
chris98251":2fps08fo said:
WE ARE NOT BIGGER THEN THE TEAM, pat yourselves on the back sure if we influence things at times but we are not owed a damn thing other then the best product that can be put on a field and the best effort these guys can give us win our lose.

Enjoy that we are recognised, enjoy that the team recognises us and wants us as part of THEIR identity, but don't think we are bigger then the team and the sum of it's parts.
I just read this whole thread, and I really am confused. Chris, I am responding specifically to your post, but it is representative of a bunch of others, and I don't get what you're on about.

Who the heck is saying we are bigger than the team and the sum of its parts? Has there been anybody among this fan base who has claimed that the 12th Man was so much a part of their victories, that they would have been a worse team with a more normal crowd?

As far as I can tell, we are just relishing the role we have in games, which is substantial according to the players and coaches and FO and media and opposing teams. And we thoroughly enjoy the recognition and appreciation of the players and coaches etc.

People in this thread are complaining about us getting too much recognition as the 12th Man, as if we were the ones out there lobbying for the players to say something about us or put a 12 on the rings and uniforms. There's nothing bad or unreasonable about wanting that recognition and appreciation, and enjoying it when it comes our way. And the players sure as hell don't resent it. (They do resent a few individual 12s making asses out of themselves in public by demanding autographs and photos when the players are out with their loved ones, but that's a different conversation.)

It's one thing to be sick of the media overdoing something -- that happens a lot, and it is annoying. But getting upset about how much publicity the 12th Man gets from the Seahawks players and coaches and FO and owner? And thinking that the players might somehow resent us for it? I just don't get what the objection is.

It's the fans that feel they are entitled to be recognised and thinking that the Seahawks are obligated to show our representation, not the ones that appreciate the team recognising and thankful for the chance to enjoy the teams moment in the sun and the fall out to the fans.

There is a difference.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
BlueTalon":i59iqya5 said:
chris98251":i59iqya5 said:

HELL YEAH^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!

BlueTalon

Reaction score
chris98251":2qoqafxy said:
BlueTalon":2qoqafxy said:
chris98251":2qoqafxy said:

It's the fans that feel they are entitled to be recognised and thinking that the Seahawks are obligated to show our representation, not the ones that appreciate the team recognising and thankful for the chance to enjoy the teams moment in the sun and the fall out to the fans.

There is a difference.
But who is doing that? The Seahawks voluntarily talk about and tribute the 12th Man already, enough to the point that some Seahawks fans think it's happening too much! Where is there even room to demand more?

Or are you saying there are fans who feel we are getting enough recognition from the Seahawks now, but to hell with them if they ever slow down or stop?

chris98251

Reaction score
I am talking about the fans that think they deserve something from the Seahawks for supporting them. Reading thru the many threads you can see who that is. It's not a blanket statement for here or anywhere else and like anything else it doesn't take many to ruin something special if they are loud enough.

Just like those that feel that Sherms residence is open game to stalk and get autographs and pictures,or those that feel it's ok to harrass players on twitter and other media devices, or drop what they are doing in a restaurant or on the street with their freinds and family to sign a shirt or something.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
chris98251":u0putdac said:
Just like those that feel that Sherms residence is open game to stalk and get autographs and pictures,or those that feel it's ok to harass players on twitter and other media devices, or drop what they are doing in a restaurant or on the street with their friends and family to sign a shirt or something.
OK, now I understand who you are talking about. I thought you were referring to fans demanding a 12 on the ring or something like that.

The people you are talking about, those aren't 12s, those are idiots.

chris98251

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3t6yb80a said:
chris98251":3t6yb80a said:
Just like those that feel that Sherms residence is open game to stalk and get autographs and pictures,or those that feel it's ok to harass players on twitter and other media devices, or drop what they are doing in a restaurant or on the street with their friends and family to sign a shirt or something.
OK, now I understand who you are talking about. I thought you were referring to fans demanding a 12 on the ring or something like that.

True, but we live in a world where idiots are protected, where idiots will get a lawyer because they don't understand that HOT coffee can burn you, where you have to put warnings on plastic bags to let them know tieing it around your head can cause suffocation etc.
They are part of our everyday life and tend to scream the loudest and want justice and advantages for things that they consider a right rather then understand it's a priveledge many times.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I think a few fans heads have gotten a little big, the whole ring for fans thing is proof of it, and the idea is just corny.

Our Super Bowl memorabilia comes in the form of clothes, DVDs/blu-rays, commemorative magazines, and news paper front pages.

I wish people would just stop it, it's dumb and it's corny. Be a fan, but don't think you should get the same things the players do.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
chris98251":1hmocv4g said:
BlueTalon":1hmocv4g said:
chris98251":1hmocv4g said:

True, but we live in a world where idiots are protected, where idiots will get a lawyer because they don't understand that HOT coffee can burn you, where you have to put warnings on plastic bags to let them know tieing it around your head can cause suffocation etc.
They are part of our everyday life and tend to scream the loudest and want justice and advantages for things that they consider a right rather then understand it's a priveledge many times.
I'm with ya.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Throwdown":hn50av48 said:
I think a few fans heads have gotten a little big, the whole ring for fans thing is proof of it, and the idea is just corny... Be a fan, but don't think you should get the same things the players do.
Are you talking about fan rings? Or fan versions of the real Super Bowl rings?

The Seahawks ARE offering rings for fans, from Tiffany's for around $1600 IIRC. Nobody forced them to offer that ring.

This is what I don't get. Your argument seems to be that some fans are demanding things from the Seahawks that the Seahawks wouldn't otherwise be willing to offer, and that that is unreasonable. I agree that would be unreasonable if it was happening, I just don't see it happening.

Now, if you just think fan rings are corny in general, you are certainly entitled to that opinion, but I don't think that has anything to do with the 12th Man going overboard, as the OP theorized.

strohmin

Reaction score
If we weren't competing to be the best fans in the NFL, then we wouldn't be a part of this team. Pete wants us to be the best fans and to be the best fans, we need to be recognized as the best fans. I love all the attention, the 12s are getting. I am pretty sure the players love it too because they are the best team in the NFL getting to play for the best fans in the NFL. There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to being the best.

chris98251

Reaction score
strohmin":2u7me7j2 said:
If we weren't competing to be the best fans in the NFL, then we wouldn't be a part of this team. Pete wants us to be the best fans and to be the best fans, we need to be recognized as the best fans. I love all the attention, the 12s are getting. I am pretty sure the players love it too because they are the best team in the NFL getting to play for the best fans in the NFL. There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to being the best.

Since when have we been competing as fans? We don't, we support a team, we do it with passion, love, and enthusiasm, we have by reputation been acknowledge as the most intelligent game days fans in the league because it's when we cheer and choose to raise our voice in support of the team.

The competition you speak of is what other fan bases are doing, we have been challanged once for level of crowd noise, we immediatly re took that title. If thats the competition you speak of then maybe, but it's not generated by us as fans in general, its by people wanting to profit and market of our fanbase.

It's nice to be recognised as a fanbase that can make a difference, one that finally has been deemed a traveling fanbase as well based on last season, Green Bay and Pittsburgh have always been recognised as such as well.

But it all comes back to what we did and have done, support the Seahawks thru thick and thing, rules trying to quiet us and the league and other teams challangeing our validity.

Tical21

Reaction score
I got my 12 jersey when I was 14 years old. That was cool. Now i do find the whole thing a bit obnoxious and played out. We sometimes think we have the market cornered on being football fans.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tical21":3p29zokw said:
I got my 12 jersey when I was 14 years old. That was cool. Now i do find the whole thing a bit obnoxious and played out. We sometimes think we have the market cornered on being football fans.

The 12th man fan base cannot ever be played out for the fans that aresupporters of the Seattle Seahawks, people will just jump on the bandwagon to profit from it. Us as fans are not looking at that aspect, we continue to support our team. The marketing will subside at some point and we will still be here.