2013 guy’s weekend to Seattle. Here come the "Torontians"…

GCrow

Reaction score
Go Leafs, Go 'Hawks! Celebratin the good times right now.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Wiseguy":2hnkt6k6 said:
+1000 on the truck crossings versus the peace arch. Saves a ton of time usually. Also don't forget a quick sprint/purchase at Duty free can at times buy you some serious time for the price of a bottle of alcohol that you would drink anyways :thirishdrinkers:

The Pacific Hwy truck crossing is different than the Aldergrove crossing and yes, that can be a very worth while detour. It's just a quick dash east, like a block or a KM (or little over half a mile if you're going north). Trick is, listen to am730 radio on your way to the border, they'll give you an update on the border situation like every 15 minutes or so. Pick whichever one they say is quicker (or less messed up as is usually the case).

And yes... Poutine for all!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Have fun in Seattle!, and let's hope you're more athletic than your mayor

HB14D4BE1

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Their mayor is pretty damn athletic actually. I've never seen a guy smoke a crack pipe while ducking & dodging the paparizzi at such an elite level

CDN_C_Hawk

Reaction score
Wiseguy":1fe1t0yk said:
BocciHawk":1fe1t0yk said:
the ditch":1fe1t0yk said:
as someone who lives in Canada and has driven on gameday from Vancouver to Seattle, just make sure you leave early enough the border crossing can take a really, really long time.

This. I would be at the border by 8 AM. Even then you might miss part of the game. It can easily take 3 1/2 hours to get to CLink from downtown Vancouver... you want to be on the road by 7:15 AM or so, possibly earlier. Backups of over an hour at the border are fairly common.

You might also consider driving over to the Aldergrove crossing, depending on what the timing and wait looks like at Blaine, you just head straight south from the 1, through the border crossing, all the way south on the Grand Meridian until you hit I-5 at BelFair Mall in Bellingham. Listed as the Lynden WA crossing at this URL, highly recommend checking it while enroute out of town on the 1.

http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/

Also don't forget there are two Blaine crossings, the Peace Arch is the better known and more heavily used one, but the older primarily commercial crossing is often faster. They are both listed at that URL.

Oh, and here's northbound wait times

http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/border/

-- Bob

+1000 on the truck crossings versus the peace arch. Saves a ton of time usually. Also don't forget a quick sprint/purchase at Duty free can at times buy you some serious time for the price of a bottle of alcohol that you would drink anyways :thirishdrinkers:

This site shows your wait times at Peace Arch ( main vehicle traffic), Pacific Crossing ( Commercial) and Aldergrove. If you check on Sun morning at 11am Toronto time, that will give you a good idea of wait times at 8am Vancouver time. http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/ATIS/
The Pacific Crossing has a Duty Free, that you can save time if the line up to cross is further back, you take the right hand lane, to the Duty Free, buy some gum, and then you exit the Duty Free 50 cars further up the line. Also when you are driving up from Seattle....grab a a couple of dozen Kokanees, usually $20. for 24 pack from a Safeway in Everett or Bellingham ( Border guys will let a dozen beers each generally for each person even though as CDNS you haven't been down 48 hrs) just be honest. Beats the $45. you'd pay up here. If you want the Duty Free coming INTO Canada you will have to use the Pacific Crossing (SR 549 ). Once thru the border turn left on 8TH Ave and take Hwy 99 ....straight into Downtown Vanc. After hockey game , Shark's Club and Liberty Square PUB are popular spots around Rogers arena. Have fun...Go Hawks

Popeyejones

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":22ds8hkr said:
Like 'poo - 10'

or 'poo - teen'

:|

Moved to Toronto about six months ago, and never heard a single person here say 'poo - 10'. It's always "teen", but don't know about Montreal.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I am also a 28er. Having a birthday steak at the Spokane Monday Night Football game in the Swinging Doors. I know, a roundtrip and room for 200+ is a bit for the game...but ya only live once...except for the one that has a cat for a profile pic. He/she may have 9 lives. LOL

Popeyejones

Reaction score
bestfightstory":25527xmu said:
"Torontians"?

Shouldn't it be "Torontonians"

Seen it spelled the first way a couple times, but always pronounced the second way.

CDN_C_Hawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3quyx5w2 said:
"Torontians"?

Yes you are correct Sir, " Tor-on-ton-i-ans" , in Vancouver, we are, "Vancouverites" and many in Vancouver are from Saskatchewan making them... LOL " Saskatchewanatonians "

bigtrain21

Reaction score
If you have a smartphone make sure you download the WSDOT App which has Border wait times as well as traffic maps.

I know it is available for android but am not sure about iphones.

CANHawk

Reaction score
CDN_C_Hawk":1yk0mt4v said:
bestfightstory":1yk0mt4v said:
"Torontians"?

Yes you are correct Sir, " Tor-on-ton-i-ans" , in Vancouver, we are, "Vancouverites" and many in Vancouver are from Saskatchewan making them... LOL " Saskatchewanatonians "

or “smog suckers" & "flat landers" as i prefer.

sc85sis

Reaction score
CDN_C_Hawk":ivfdi4up said:
bestfightstory":ivfdi4up said:
"Torontians"?

Saska...I now feel better about growing up a native Michigander.