2014 Seattle Mariners

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2kiatx7q said:
It's the middle of June and they're still around .500. They've exceeded my expectations so far.

the little 5 game swoon sucked, especially since we had built some momentum going into a home stand. But i'm with you. we're in the playoff hunt in June. I'm optimistic about this group, but am always ready for a 4-5 game losing streak

Looks like Walker is ready to come back. Be nice to add a hitter.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Now we look to be back with a 2 game winning streak after tonight...It baffles me how they have a losing record at home but then again as I have been asking"How many 1 run losses do the have"?They got to lead the majors in that and it's alway's with 5 hits or less it seems..I do think with what the team has it is doing a great job..Good hitters don't fall out of trees..I wish Edgar was the hitting coach..

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":t6rzh573 said:
Uncle Si":t6rzh573 said:
.........Be nice to add a hitter.
Felix agrees with you.

apparently the answer to our hitting concerns is Jesus (Christ on a bike) Montero.

Glad to see him back up....

jkitsune

Reaction score
5-game losing streaks suck.... but this team is doing so much better than I honestly anticipated for the year, that I'm still on board. If they can be a legitimate .500 ballclub - that is to say, not a lucky winning team like the '07 M's, but a team that honest-to-goodness scored as many or more runs than their opponents, I'll be happy.

There's no reality, IMO, where this year's M's can be anything more than a team with some genuine strengths and some real serious flaws. The only way this offense was going to be 'good' would be if players like Smoak, Ackley, and Zunino hit to their potential - their offensive struggles leave a lot of holes in the lineup. That could have been masked if players like Hart and Morrison could contribute, but they too have failed to do so (thus far). Franklin getting jerked around probably doesn't help him, Miller has tanked (though picking it up a bit more recently), and you're left with very few major league caliber hitters on the roster or in the farm.

This has been covered by some surprisingly excellent pitching from everyone except the #5 starter, but even if they land a bat at the trade deadline, that still leaves the team with several offensive black holes in the lineup. A team like that can still hit a hot streak at the right time, get into the playoffs, and make some noise, but I'd be surprised if they transcend that.

m0ng0

Reaction score
The Jesus went yard today ! I am loving this team even if they are inconsistent!

mbtitleist

Reaction score
It was nice to see them kick ass the last two days and not play down to their competition. Hopefully they can take the next two games down in San Diego before heading to Kansas City who have won their last 8 games.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3rf2cs6j said:
They should take a flier on Grady Sizemore. Why not?

He's a lefty, of course, but Romero sucks so bad that having him on the team as a right-handed OF doesn't mean much anyway.
Great idea...The guy could find himself again in Seattle..Lefty/righty don't matter when we need hitters and this one was among the best not so long ago..

Tical21

Reaction score
It has been six years since Grady has hit .250. That ship has long since sailed. That translates to about .180 at Safeco. Keep going through young guys until one sticks.

m0ng0

Reaction score
scratched out a tough win against a much improved Royals team, Kuma was not on :cry:

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Raul Ibanez got released by the Angels today. Worth another try or is he finished at 41?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":6nw3ljyp said:
Raul Ibanez got released by the Angels today. Worth another try or is he finished at 41?

Sign him now! He has got to be better than our other DH options at this point.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Blitzer88":35yoyrgx said:
Glasgow Seahawk":35yoyrgx said:

Cool your tits sweetheart. Ibañez is actually worse than Logan Morrison statistically.

Storts

Reaction score
I know Ibanez would be great for sentimental reasons for the M's but trust me as an Angels fan, the guy is done. Absolutely top class professional on and off the field but he can't hit anymore, and it was disappointing that Dipoto and Sosh kept him on the roster for so long.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
CurryStopstheRuns":20ot2uyb said:
Blitzer88":20ot2uyb said:
Glasgow Seahawk":20ot2uyb said:

Cool your tits sweetheart. Ibañez is actually worse than Logan Morrison statistically.

I'm just posting to say that the above bolded is SO funny that I not only laughed out loud for reals, I had to post and thank Curry for making me genuinely laugh hard. I have been drinking, but even so, I still think this was funny on its own merit.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1c2t6tk3 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":1c2t6tk3 said:
Blitzer88":1c2t6tk3 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1c2t6tk3 said:

I'm just posting to say that the above bolded is SO funny that I not only laughed out loud for reals, I had to post and thank Curry for making me genuinely laugh hard. I have been drinking, but even so, I still think this was funny on its own merit.

My pleasure sir.

And, another win against one of the hottest teams in the AL. That makes it a sweep against the Royals and places us back in the lead for one of the two wildcard playoff spots.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Great win by the M's ..Keep it going.As for Ibanez-it's time for him to say goodbye..Retire as a Mariner and help the young guys..Go Mariners!!!