2014 Seattle Mariners

m0ng0

Reaction score
Paxton while not sharp tonight battled out of some really tough jams tonight (it could have been ugly), guy is going to be a stud!

Taylor has had a few really nice at bats, tonight he went down 0-2 then fought off 7 more pitches before ripping a nice single, he knows what he is doing at the plate!

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
m0ng0":2cwblbvr said:
Paxton while not sharp tonight battled out of some really tough jams tonight (it could have been ugly), guy is going to be a stud!

Taylor has had a few really nice at bats, tonight he went down 0-2 then fought off 7 more pitches before ripping a nice single, he knows what he is doing at the plate!

Agreed on Paxton. He is the reason that I am glad that Jack did not sell the farm for Lester or Price rentals. We already have a gritty, and potentially dominant, left-handed starter. By all accounts, he has been destroying big league batters since the beginning of his pro career as his statistics have shown.

Really excited to see Taylor's progression! What a professional at-bat last evening. To fight off a number of pitches on an 0-2 count and then smack a solid single into right-center was encouraging, to say the least. His defense has been shaky at times though, with another error last night that led to an unearned run. I believe that he will begin to show the same patience in the field as he does at the plate and round into an above average player at shortstop.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Not mariners related, but didn't want to make another thread since a baseball thread was already up.

To the point,

If my understanding of the situation is correct, it's incredibly messed up and lame.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... 25493.html

Dude got hurt and may be out for the season, yeah it sucks, but it was an accident(?). I get why the team would be mad, but again, it was an accident(?). Why take it out on a dude that had nothing to do with the play that hurt your guy and only target him because he's also a good player. Feel bad for McCutchen and I hope the pitcher gets made an example of. If the team/manager knew about it (which pretty much seems like they did/would), I hope they get made an example of too.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Well.....this "NEW" offense sure seems a lot like the old offense.................embarrassing game today.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1m0mbksb said:
Well.....this "NEW" offense sure seems a lot like the old offense.................embarrassing game today.
This offense is anemic, and it's not changing until the offseason. They are still another 3 solid bats away from doing some serious damage. Z is going to have to pull off some miracles his offseason.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":gx8anx0m said:
Blitzer88":gx8anx0m said:
This offense is anemic, and it's not changing until the offseason. They are still another 3 solid bats away from doing some serious damage. Z is going to have to pull off some miracles his offseason.
If Jackson is solid- I don't see needing 3 bats..2 yes...What they need is a real good hitting coach ..I mean these guys have hit all their life...If 2 or 3 can pick up their hitting we wouldn't need much..Some people on here have to realize there is no team thats solid from top to bottom hitting wise...I'd be happy with good ptching(check) speed,defense and more power..This coming off season is a big one...GO MARINERS!!

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
This upcoming homestand is pivotal when it comes to determining the playoffs hopes for the 2014 Seattle Mariners.

They have not been good at home this year so far, but if they can pull out victories in these series (especially against the Jays), I think the odds become much more favorable for the #2 wildcard spot.

At least the team knows what they are fighting for and realizes how critical the next handful of games are.
Lloyd McClendon keeps talking about improving and winning at home... they need to deliver.

Good luck Mariners!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Nice tidy little sweep. Onto the recently reeling White Sox

m0ng0

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":7d9dnorv said:
If they take three from the White Sox, I'll be impressed. If they follow that up by putting it on Toronto, I'll be quite pleasantly surprised.

Marlon Byrd got claimed on waivers. I wonder if Jack Z put in the claim.

hmm.......not likely

The 36-year-old Byrd is batting a healthy .269/.318/.474 with 21 homers and solid defense in right field. He can block trades to the Royals, Mariners, Blue Jays and Rays.

kearly

Reaction score
I think the M's are probably out of the hunt for OF help for now. Saunders will be back soonish and he's a quality OF, Ackley has suddenly looked like his 2011 self and Jackson is a league average CF at worst. Byrd would help us, but probably isn't worth the cost in money in prospects at this point. To make him waive the no-trade the M's would have to pay him an extra year. Not worth it at this point IMO.

I really liked the Jackson trade. We got a good CF for a prospect that had no future here, and it removed the desperation factor that might have led to Seattle paying big for someone else.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3fe5vgky said:
If they take three from the White Sox, I'll be impressed. If they follow that up by putting it on Toronto, I'll be quite pleasantly surprised.

You'll be "pleasantly surprised" if we've won 8 in a row and overtaken our primary competition for the wild card?

Tough crowd

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Uncle Si":3f2jovaq said:
Smelly McUgly":3f2jovaq said:

You'll be "pleasantly surprised" if we've won 8 in a row and overtaken our primary competition for the wild card?

Tough crowd

Well, first of all, taking three from the Sox would merely be winning the series since we have four against them. It would not constitute an eight-game winning streak.

Second of all, I would accept 2-1 against the Jays as "putting it on them."

So, I'm not quite sure where you got "eight-game winning streak" from, chum. :lol:

I would be pleasantly surprised if the Mariners did well against a team that seems to have their number more often than not and one of their two direct contenders for the second wild-card spot. They typically don't play well when the chips are down since about 2001. I have no expectations.

mbtitleist

Reaction score
I didn't watch much of the game since the Hawks were on but every time I turned back to the game it seems like they had scored more runs. Cano hit a two run homer, Ackley continues to tear it up and went 2-4 with a solo home run in the 1st and 4 rbi's in the game, and Seager got into the home run parade also last night right after Morales got drilled. Hell, even Endy Chavez hit one out last night!

Obviously I don't expect us to score 13 runs every game, but if they can continue to hit the ball even remotely like this they're going to be in it for the rest of the season.

m0ng0

Reaction score
mbtitleist":1h1bzuai said:
I didn't watch much of the game since the Hawks were on but every time I turned back to the game it seems like they had scored more runs. Cano hit a two run homer, Ackley continues to tear it up and went 2-4 with a solo home run in the 1st and 4 rbi's in the game, and Seager got into the home run parade also last night right after Morales got drilled. Hell, even Endy Chavez hit one out last night!

Obviously I don't expect us to score 13 runs every game, but if they can continue to hit the ball even remotely like this they're going to be in it for the rest of the season.

And its happening at Safeco

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
mbtitleist":28b5v032 said:

They are second only to OAK in run prevention, so if they continue to hit the ball remotely like this, they'll probably win the second wild card.