2014 Seattle Mariners

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tical21":39jxqdma said:
I don't love Austin Jackson. He's probably an upgrade over Jones, but is inconsistent at best. Plays a good center though. Doesn't hit for average, power, or steal bases. I hope they put some thought into leaving Ackley at the top while he's getting on base, and sliding Jackson to the 7-hole or therabouts. Meh. I'm kinda into Denorfia though. I like the way he plays, and he can hit for average, which I still contend is the way Safeco needs to be played. I think the bulk of our playoff chances lies at the feet of one Kendrys Morales. If he can hit .280 with pop, we're legit. If he hits .230 with none, we're not. We've had our downturn. Time to turn it back up and push hard.

Dont Jackson and Denorfia have virtually the same numbers though, with Jackson having more speed? Thats the one thing I liked about Jones, he could swipe a bag. I dont think Jackson's SB numbers are high, but i'm not sure if he was allowed to run with Miggy and company behind him.

Jackson at 2 would make sense then (he's most certainly an upgrade over Jones, for now). Then Denorfia 7 after Cano, Seager, DH/Morales, Miller/Zunino? I suppose you could slide him up as well.

none of the new 3 are substantial upgrades, but alteast may be enough of which to get us a good push at the end

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Jackson's having a poor year defensively according to UZR and other defensive metrics, actually. Most of his value for the two years before this one have come from his bat. Since he's been in the majors, he's gone 3.9, 2.4, 5.2, 3.1 in WAR for full years. Inconsistent to be sure, but if our worst case scenario is a 2.5 - 3 win player, that's basically GREAT for us compared to the crapfest we've had in CF so far.

I like the trade because Jackson is 27 and coming into his prime and we only gave up Nick Franklin. Plus, after watching James Jones, Abe Almonte, Endy Chavez, etc. out there this year, my bar for getting excited about someone like Jackson in CF is pretty low. It's not going to make me forget that we SHOULD have Adam Jones out there, but it makes that fact easier to take.

Tical21

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1sj2az4s said:
Tical21":1sj2az4s said:
I don't love Austin Jackson. He's probably an upgrade over Jones, but is inconsistent at best. Plays a good center though. Doesn't hit for average, power, or steal bases. I hope they put some thought into leaving Ackley at the top while he's getting on base, and sliding Jackson to the 7-hole or therabouts. Meh. I'm kinda into Denorfia though. I like the way he plays, and he can hit for average, which I still contend is the way Safeco needs to be played. I think the bulk of our playoff chances lies at the feet of one Kendrys Morales. If he can hit .280 with pop, we're legit. If he hits .230 with none, we're not. We've had our downturn. Time to turn it back up and push hard.

Dont Jackson and Denorfia have virtually the same numbers though, with Jackson having more speed? Thats the one thing I liked about Jones, he could swipe a bag. I dont think Jackson's SB numbers are high, but i'm not sure if he was allowed to run with Miggy and company behind him.

Jackson at 2 would make sense then (he's most certainly an upgrade over Jones, for now). Then Denorfia 7 after Cano, Seager, DH/Morales, Miller/Zunino? I suppose you could slide him up as well.

none of the new 3 are substantial upgrades, but at least may be enough of which to get us a good push at the end
Haha, I stand corrected. I may have spoken out my arse. Looking more closely, Jackson typically has a better average than I give him credit for. I just happened to have him on my fantasy team in 2011, the year he hit .249, so I figured he always hit around there. I wish he walked more, for being a top of the order guy also, and he strikes out way too much. Pretty nice player though, a little alarmed that his power and base stealing numbers are falling off though.

Denorfia is a .275 career hitter that always puts it in play. I just think that plays really well at Safeco.

I wouldn't say he's a better player, but relatively speaking, I like the value. It is coming across that the popular opinion is we got this really good player in Jackson, and this nobody replacement player in Denorfia. I would tend to guess Jackson may underwhelm, based on the expectations, and Denorfia may exceed his.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Over what we currently have in the outfield its quite an upgrade! Denorfia has to be an upgrade over Corey Hart in right field and Jackson is a much better player at this point in time then Jones is, and also factor in that they hit lefties much better!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2uu5a4jh said:
If the M's offered Kyle Seager as a trade piece...would you be upset? I believe the 3rd baseman of the future is DJ Peterson. He is killing it in the minors and maybe be ready next year. He plays 3B. Seager may be an attractive piece for another club. If you were Jack Z, would you trade Kyle Seager?
No. Peterson will be a 1st basemen in the bigs.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I'm glad the M's didn't trade the farm away. They are more than a good hitter or two away from being a serious playoff contender. Bring Peterson up next year and add a quality bat or two in the offseason.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Are the Mariners, with the latest additions, good enough for 86-88 wins? If so, is that enough to stave off the rest of the contenders for a wildcard spot?

m0ng0

Reaction score
Offensively I do not think they are good enough to get it, but damn it will be a fun ride until the end.......

Tical21

Reaction score
I dunno, they're already 3 out, with three really hot teams in front of them. Another week to ten days like this, and the season is over. They can't score runs, period. Again. Still. Again. .500 is probably a more realistic goal than playoffs at this point.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawkfan68":161ezgqp said:
Are the Mariners, with the latest additions, good enough for 86-88 wins? If so, is that enough to stave off the rest of the contenders for a wildcard spot?
No, but IMHO they are still building the core of the team. This is not a make it or break it year for them. They have to strike some sort of playoff gold in the next 2 seasons (not including this one) IMHO to hold on to and rebuild the fanbase that they as an organization (I'm looking at you Howard and Chuck) have destroyed with a decade of craptastic teams.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1h0bhdua said:
hawkfan68":1h0bhdua said:
No, but IMHO they are still building the core of the team. This is not a make it or break it year for them. They have to strike some sort of playoff gold in the next 2 seasons (not including this one) IMHO to hold on to and rebuild the fanbase that they as an organization (I'm looking at you Howard and Chuck) have destroyed with a decade of craptastic teams.
I agree with this ...It takes time to fix the mess job of the past...We got the pitching everyone knows that ..Center field is solid now but they need to extend the guy ...We need another OFwho can play defense and hit...A shortstop that can do the same..Rest of everything else looks solid ..I think we finish over .500- the playoffs are out unless we can get real hot ..Again I wonder if theres a stat that tells me how many 5 hit 1 run losses we have?It has to be some record..I want a new hitting coach next year..Loyd has done a great job and suprised the crap out of me as I doubted him..This team is one of my favorite teams in very long memory..Just scrappy no name- fight to the end ...GO MARINERS!! Oh and reminder Paxton is back today... :th2thumbs:

Tical21

Reaction score
I kind of think they need to start over....again. They somehow managed to miss on an entire era of hitters. We have Cano and Seager and promise in Zunino, and six players who are among the worst in MLB at their positions. Taylor has such a better looking swing than Miller. Could be promising. But there are just SOOOO MANY HOLES. It is going to be a while.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3285s4o4 said:
Nice to finally see some offense tonight. And Paxton looks as advertised.

I agree, and Paxton will get better. I feel like the strike zone is pretty inconsistent to go along with Paxton being off tonight. A great sign when you can have a mediocre outing and still look top notch.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Another victory and we gained a game in the wildcard race. The Mariners are now 41-10 when scoring four or more runs. That is a testament to our pitching and a glaring black eye for our offense. We seem to have a formidable 1-5 batting order if things keep progressing.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Good win ..Good to see more than 5 hits thats for sure..The SS (Taylor )I hope he is the man for the job ..What can I say about Ackley ..His avg has exploded up ,I hope he has finally arrived for good..Good win for this team and Paxton will be better ,he's been gone for some time..GO MARINERS!!