2017 O line Free Agents

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Pie Romania":3g2ctuk6 said:
RussB":3g2ctuk6 said:
Also i dont follow college football much is there any beast tackles in this draft? I heard a little about cam robinson dont know too much though.

Would it be possible to trade up and draft a 1st round tackle and sign TJ lang ? Or maybe sign someone like whitworth and draft a gaurd? I just want this team to overhaul the line completely except for britt and ifedi.

Always possible to trade up to get the guy you want, but the real question is how much of our future are you willing to mortgage to do so and will the move be enough to have you competing for championships for the next few years?

Whitworth, despite his age, has played at a pretty high level. The problem is that he could fall off rather quickly at any point this next season. Due to his age, I think he will be obtainable at a reasonable cost considering what he has done in the last couple of years, but you'd be gambling at the position, albeit with better odds of success than someone like Sowell, Webb, or Fant.

I think if Seattle can address one of the guard spots in free agency, they may have enough cash to address D-Line also in FA. They can go into the draft either thinking A.) They stay put to see what happens early on in the draft. They can either stay put and take the BPA at the position (if it makes sense), trade back to acquire an extra pick or two and utilize this in a trade for someone like Joe Thomas or Joe Staley, or they can do what they normally do and just take the BPA at a position of relative need and push the positional need to a later round B.) They can package a pick(s) from this year and next to move up in the 1st and get the young, talented prospect they want & believe in.

I hope they are aggressive and make something happen. Trading down makes sense if they can and it will lessen the blow of making a trade for a veteran if that becomes the best route to solving the problem for the next 3-4 years. I have a hard time predicting this front office outside of a couple draft picks every year. We do have options though that won't cripple us so long as we don't sit back twiddling our thumbs while other teams wipe those options off the table.

I think they need to pursue either lang or whitworth or maybe even both. Then draft some DB's to add depth to the secondary. Im not an expert on cap space but lets say they release lane and kam. Would that be enough to sign both whitworth and lang?

Pie Romania

Reaction score
RussB":13sshrif said:
Pie Romania":13sshrif said:
RussB":13sshrif said:
Also i dont follow college football much is there any beast tackles in this draft? I heard a little about cam robinson dont know too much though.

Would it be possible to trade up and draft a 1st round tackle and sign TJ lang ? Or maybe sign someone like whitworth and draft a gaurd? I just want this team to overhaul the line completely except for britt and ifedi.

Always possible to trade up to get the guy you want, but the real question is how much of our future are you willing to mortgage to do so and will the move be enough to have you competing for championships for the next few years?

Whitworth, despite his age, has played at a pretty high level. The problem is that he could fall off rather quickly at any point this next season. Due to his age, I think he will be obtainable at a reasonable cost considering what he has done in the last couple of years, but you'd be gambling at the position, albeit with better odds of success than someone like Sowell, Webb, or Fant.

I think if Seattle can address one of the guard spots in free agency, they may have enough cash to address D-Line also in FA. They can go into the draft either thinking A.) They stay put to see what happens early on in the draft. They can either stay put and take the BPA at the position (if it makes sense), trade back to acquire an extra pick or two and utilize this in a trade for someone like Joe Thomas or Joe Staley, or they can do what they normally do and just take the BPA at a position of relative need and push the positional need to a later round B.) They can package a pick(s) from this year and next to move up in the 1st and get the young, talented prospect they want & believe in.

I hope they are aggressive and make something happen. Trading down makes sense if they can and it will lessen the blow of making a trade for a veteran if that becomes the best route to solving the problem for the next 3-4 years. I have a hard time predicting this front office outside of a couple draft picks every year. We do have options though that won't cripple us so long as we don't sit back twiddling our thumbs while other teams wipe those options off the table.

I think they need to pursue either lang or whitworth or maybe even both. Then draft some DB's to add depth to the secondary. Im not an expert on cap space but lets say they release lane and kam. Would that be enough to sign both whitworth and lang?

I'm no expert either, but from what I understand, we're going to have a decent amount of cap space to work with this offseason. I think even without cutting either Lane or Kam, they could come away with Lang & Whitworth and have room to sign draft picks + others to fill out the roster, but I might be undervaluing both players (I'm assuming Lang would be in the $7-8 million range (or slightly less) for base salary plus whatever signing bonus that is prorated and Whitworth on a 2 year $12 Million deal with nothing guaranteed in the 2nd year and only a signing bonus counting against the cap the following year if he happens to "fall off the cliff" talent-wise). I'm just spit-balling/thinking out loud though. I'd like to focus on a Guard and DT in FA. Kawann Short is at the top of my list, but likely out of our price range since someone will pay him big time. Guessing what we actually do in FA is something I'm NOT very good at, lol.

timmat

Reaction score
Drafting O lineman these days = years of development; years this era of D no longer has. We must address the line via free agency. I think the cap is going up a good amount. Every free dime needs to go to FA offensive lineman. They don't have to be studs. Average guys would be a big upgrade.

We have some true wildcard personalities on this team, and Pete's style prefers to let the leaders police the group. Therefore we'd be nuts to let Kam go to save $$. Find it elsewhere. But Kam and Earl are truly needed.

Jimmy is a waste here if Bevell stays. Jimmy is a waste here if he has to spend 70% of his routes chip blocking. His talent is rare. Upgrade the O line and / or change our route philosophy, and he becomes more valuable to us.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
timmat":3ihsnuh3 said:
Drafting O lineman these days = years of development; years this era of D no longer has. We must address the line via free agency. I think the cap is going up a good amount. Every free dime needs to go to FA offensive lineman. They don't have to be studs. Average guys would be a big upgrade.

We have some true wildcard personalities on this team, and Pete's style prefers to let the leaders police the group. Therefore we'd be nuts to let Kam go to save $$. Find it elsewhere. But Kam and Earl are truly needed.

Jimmy is a waste here if Bevell stays. Jimmy is a waste here if he has to spend 70% of his routes chip blocking. His talent is rare. Upgrade the O line and / or change our route philosophy, and he becomes more valuable to us.

I can get on board with some of this, but not spending EVERYTHING on O-Line. If they address the O-Line in FA/Trade for a veteran and plan to integrate Graham more into the offense and utilize him properly, I'd like to see them sign him to an extension; Nothing too major in terms of years, but puts a decent chunk in his pocket with slightly less average base salary. You could guarantee some cash towards the front of the contract and lower the base salary to save a bit of room on his 2017 cap hit and then part ways with him without much repercussion in 2-3 years (which I see him being able to contribute well during that time frame so long as they utilize him like they should) if you wanted to. With the cap going up this offseason, every team will have extra cap space they otherwise wouldn't have which will mean teams will spend more to obtain the guy(s) they really want.

crosfam

Reaction score
timmat":3i3sgiuk said:

I call it first - we are gonna draft heavy defense. a few late round OL, the developmental type. Would not be surprised if we have 4 or even 5 OL starters back next year. They will all be in year 2-4 of their career.

We need a top shelf CB, Shead has a torn ACL most likely. We need a viable FS and maybe SS in case of injury. We need youth in the DE and LB corps, and can always use DT help. This team is built on defense. Spending FA money on OL means we lose defense. I do see a new WR or two in the draft, but on only UDFA at RB.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
crosfam":2hp05wv7 said:
timmat":2hp05wv7 said:

I call it first - we are gonna draft heavy defense. a few late round OL, the developmental type. Would not be surprised if we have 4 or even 5 OL starters back next year. They will all be in year 2-4 of their career.

We need a top shelf CB, Shead has a torn ACL most likely. We need a viable FS and maybe SS in case of injury. We need youth in the DE and LB corps, and can always use DT help. This team is built on defense. Spending FA money on OL means we lose defense. I do see a new WR or two in the draft, but on only UDFA at RB.
That would be foolish in my opinion. This team already paid everyone on defense and look what has happened the past 2 seasons. They may have been built on defense but they neglected the o line and it cost them. I dont want that to happen again.

You are basically saying you want them to neglect o line again and have it backfire once again.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Doesnt matter how good your D is. If your offense cant score or keep them off the field they will wear out and give up scores.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Everyone's acting like you have to sacrifice some on the defense to get more offense, but that shouldn't even be the case to begin with. It really comes down to

A. Drafting better
B. Knowing when to let guys walk
C. Hitting on your FA signings

Three things that John and Pete haven't been very good at.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
quneur":325zd3e0 said:
Reaneypark":325zd3e0 said:
I think it's time to let Kam and KJ go. Be ruthless, it works for the Pats.

Kam is essential to this team. Kearse and Lane would free 10M. KJ hasn't played to his 6.75M contract but he's still a good smart player. Graham is a question mark. Willson comes cheap and he has good hands but not Jimmy's hands. McEvoy haven't played enough. But Graham would be a premium on east coast teams like Colts or Patriots; A big weapon (missing piece) for Andrew Luck could put them in the playoffs or Patriots with Gronk and Graham combo would be very scary. Trade value would be through the roof.

We could just cut Graham (not that I want to) and save $10mil if you think money is an issue. We also have 35mil free next year plus we don't know what the cap is going to be yet. Kam is either going have to be extended, cut or traded. He would be a fool just to play out his last year.

Latest posts