2021 Free Agents

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There will be a lot of teams that will be pretty hamstrung by their cap positions this season and some critical and significant roster changes will be made to allow the team to play next year with semblance of competitive ability.

Creativity for cap decisions will be critical for the hawks and essential for many other teams. Some very good players may find themselves becoming unexpected FAs.

The owners have an ability to prorate the cap cuts and and there could be a groundswell of support to do so in order to prevent the creation of less than competitive situations. Borrowing against future cap has put quite a few team in cap hell and if the hard cap is dropped to $170- 180 million the howls of protest from many fans may result in a softening of both side's positions. At present the owners hold the control of this situation which has really been an unfortunate and unusual consequence of the COVID crisis.

I'm not sure anything as far as the cap is yet certain except it will be lower. The final decision as to how much lower can easily be revisited.

massari

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1vhow8na said:
I'd love to see them terminate Reed, or trade him if there's any interest. He's not worth the double-digit millions. He gets clean-up sacks, but he's not consistently a great player, and he has the contract of a serious contributor. That money can definitely serve the team better if spread out to retain some guys. Poona is the more promising cornerstone DT.
$5M in dead money. Bad signing, but they were desperate.

Seems like best case scenario is if they can get him to agree on a cheap extension, which would free up $6,068,000 in cap space for 2021.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The massaging of the cap will be critical to allowing the team to keep some players and re-sign others as at the moment the team has less than $ 5 million in available cap going into FA. This is fortunately better than many other teams but hardly a strong position.

Examining the roster before FA as posted the 2021 RosterThread shows the many areas where help is needed for the team.

If the cap positions of the league are assessed there is a HUGE difference between the team with the most available cap space Jacksonville and New Orleans with the worst cap position. The difference is close to the projected available cap for a whole team for the upcoming season. Without a doubt this has to be an erea of concern for the players union as the same team seem to underspend perpetually and are continuously uncompetitive.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

This is going to be a very unusual offseason.

sdog1981

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1itwbgim said:
The massaging of the cap will be critical to allowing the team to keep some players and re-sign others as at the moment the team has less than $ 5 million in available cap going into FA. This is fortunately better than many other teams but hardly a strong position.

If the cap positions of the league are assessed there is a HUGE difference between the team with the most available cap space Jacksonville and New Orleans with the worst cap position. The difference is more than the projected available cap for a whole team for the upcoming season.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

This is going to blow up everything. I have a feeling this will result in a lot of one-year deals this off season.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I'd like to see what free agent RB's and CB's are out there if Carson and Griffin want top money. Maybe draft a RB and CB alongside them in the later rounds. Ambivalent about Hollister. I want to see the Stanford TE get a chance to see what we have and see what Dissly can do a full year removed from the injury.

Mark Ingram?

The free agency market should be depressed due to the reduced cap.

I'd keep Mayowa if the money is right as long as he is not the main starter at DE.

Try and keep KJ but depends on price. With Brooks showing promise we may move on.

I'd like Ryan Neal as a backup.

Pay/extend Adams and Lockett if possible which may give us more cap to play with.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1rkvu6oc said:
Only player on that list I would like back is KJ

The rest of them can walk

Same here. I think KJ realizes he's just about done and will take a team friendly deal also.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Jerhawk":xf5hrgya said:
Only player on that list I would like back is KJ

The rest of them can walk

I dunno. I'd consider Poona a must-retain. Young, hungry, and the best interior lineman on the team.