2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":1lt4yyig said:
2 on no outs and again unable to score a run. I said to my gf, they should just load the bases, then we will be guaranteed not to score. I stood corrected. Apparently it's with runners in scoring position.

Why are AL teams afraid to bunt in that situation? Clear bunting situation in the National. Should've been for Zunino tonight

sutz

Reaction score
Uncle Si":7kpm330d said:
Seahaaaawks":7kpm330d said:
2 on no outs and again unable to score a run. I said to my gf, they should just load the bases, then we will be guaranteed not to score. I stood corrected. Apparently it's with runners in scoring position.

Why are AL teams afraid to bunt in that situation? Clear bunting situation in the National. Should've been for Zunino tonight
I know. Especially when they are in a shift where the 3rd baseman is playing short.

:34853_doh:

Late edit: On second thought, bunting players into scoring position tends to lower the Mariners' batting average.

:34853_doh: :34853_doh:

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Uncle Si":33q6fzv2 said:
Seahaaaawks":33q6fzv2 said:

Agreed but... He would have struck out trying :pukeface:

Msfann

Reaction score
Zilchino wants to work the count to full so bad that the pitchers know they can send strike 1-2 right down the center of the plate because he'll watch them go right past.
Once they accomplish that it's easy garbadge pitch time because he's in the hole 0-2 and will swing at damn near anything low and away.

He's getting to the point where he is what he is. Now it's becoming like Ackley/smoak like where he gets way too much time to click and never does. He'll get some home runs and will kill rally after rally, it's what he does.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Even though the record isn't what we want it to be, I'm pleased with the bullpen and the starting pitching. Only a matter of time until the bats get going. Why we continue to play Zunino so much, I don't know. Reminds me a lot of Ackley and Smoak. Zunino is a career .200 hitter, as shown by his career stats. I get he is great defensively, but if that is the case we might as well bring Brendan Ryan back. Hopefully tonight we can get things going tonight for Felix.

Threedee

Reaction score
JSeahawks":rzsilwur said:
Allow me to save you guys from the misery. They'll play just well enough to give you some false hope. Then they will fall short in the end.

At this rate, I might not even get treated to false hope this season.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Threedee":3500l0dj said:
JSeahawks":3500l0dj said:
Allow me to save you guys from the misery. They'll play just well enough to give you some false hope. Then they will fall short in the end.

At this rate, I might not even get treated to false hope this season.

It's tricky for me to remain interested without falling into the emotional investment trap. I have to really try to just enjoy the game and not be too concerned with the outcome.

"If you're gonna have expectations for the M's, you're gonna have a bad time"

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
If I were an opposing pitcher I'd never throw Zunino a strike EVER. The guy swings at pitches that are 2 feet outside of the strikezone. I'm so done with Mr. Auto-out, I don't care how good his defense is supposed to be. He has is Charles Barkley Turrible...... time to get an veteran everyday catcher that can hit .230 and not be a liability on defense.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3accl3cl said:
If I were an opposing pitcher I'd never throw Zunino a strike EVER. The guy swings at pitches that are 2 feet outside of the strikezone. I'm so done with Mr. Auto-out, I don't care how good his defense is supposed to be. He has is Charles Barkley Turrible...... time to get an veteran everyday catcher that can hit .230 and not be a liability on defense.

We have one... Ruiz and he 100x better than Zunino. Z sucks I am over him. The plane needs to drop him off in Tacoma. Starting to hate our manager as well

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
How do you not pinch hit for the ice cold Zunino right there? He is awful. Terrible. Servace you suck! Watches 2 pitches down the middle then swings at one out of the strike zone? My goodness. These guys are pathetic so far. Sell out crowd on Monday, 5,000 on Tuesday.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":121fpz60 said:
How do you not pinch hit for the ice cold Zunino right there? He is awful. Terrible. Servace you suck! Watches 2 pitches down the middle then swings at one out of the strike zone? My goodness. These guys are pathetic so far. Sell out crowd on Monday, 5,000 on Tuesday.
I'll be there Monday and was looking forward to it until lately.
1-6 is horrible for the talent level they have. .....and yes I know it's still early, but digging yourself in an early hole is more damaging then most think.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":3tvm32iy said:
Sports Hernia":3tvm32iy said:

We have one... Ruiz and he 100x better than Zunino. Z sucks I am over him. The plane needs to drop him off in Tacoma. Starting to hate our manager as well
Ruiz IS an upgrade but at his age is not an everyday catcher.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3k43mfka said:
Even though the record isn't what we want it to be, I'm pleased with the bullpen and the starting pitching. Only a matter of time until the bats get going. Why we continue to play Zunino so much, I don't know. Reminds me a lot of Ackley and Smoak. Zunino is a career .200 hitter, as shown by his career stats. I get he is great defensively, but if that is the case we might as well bring Brendan Ryan back. Hopefully tonight we can get things going tonight for Felix.
I remember a thread where I got made out to be wrong for wanting Zunino gone(he didn't have enough at bats).It looks like I was right about him even though I'd be happy to eat crow.That thread was like 2 years ago and he still cannot hit MLB off speed stuff.There are many who have tried and failed.The bright side to having a bad year is we can have a nice draft.I think it's time for the M's to draft MZ's replacement.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
IndyHawk":mhbb3uf8 said:
Hawk-Lock":mhbb3uf8 said:
I remember a thread where I got made out to be wrong for wanting Zunino gone(he didn't have enough at bats).It looks like I was right about him even though I'd be happy to eat crow.That thread was like 2 years ago and he still cannot hit MLB off speed stuff.There are many who have tried and failed.The bright side to having a bad year is we can have a nice draft.I think it's time for the M's to draft MZ's replacement.

Seems we are wasting time on Zunino... Kinda like we wasted all those years on.... Ohhhh I don't know ACKLEY!!! I'd be happy if Zunino proved me wrong as well but I've been waiting for 5 years for that to happen. He can't hit a 91mph fastball down the middle. He usally watches pitches in the strike zone, goes down 0-2 or 1-2 then swings at something off speed out of the zone. Very frusterating. This whole M's team is frusterating right now. Just not good baseball. It's early it's early it's early

Crizilla

Reaction score
All the Zunino hate.....Where's the Martin hate? Both have to go.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":oq9f6zaq said:
Seahaaaawks":oq9f6zaq said:
Sports Hernia":oq9f6zaq said:

Ruiz IS an upgrade but at his age is not an everyday catcher.
It's a bummer to know that we had a pretty good catcher for a few days in the 2015 season named Wellington Castillo. We got him from the Cubs for practically nothing (Medina) but then quickly shipped him to Arizona in the Trumbo deal. And it's even worse that DiPoto flipped Trumbo last offseason for Clevenger! Jack Z giving up on Castillo so early put a good dent in this team.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Crizilla":q4pghd32 said:
All the Zunino hate.....Where's the Martin hate? Both have to go.

Martin looks lost at the plate but hopefully he will come around. They want him mainly for his D. Speedy CF with a great arm. Just hoping he can hit .250 at least. But Zunino has proven time and time again he is a .110 hitter

Crizilla

Reaction score
hes a good CF....thats it. Nothing special. You do realize there's more than just batting average right? *facepalm*. He only had 47 RBI's last year.....lmfao. Mike Cameron was never this bad.

hes gotta go.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Yeah I realize there is more than batting average. Just throwing one stat out there that Ive always kept an eye on. When I was a kid batting average and slugging % was pretty much all you looked at on a baseball card. Now there's all kinds.
Anyways yes he stinks. Swings 150% at breaking balls out of the zone even with 2 strikes. No change in his approach, just swinging for the fences. A real head scratcher. Dunno whatever happened to choking up and swinging 75% instead of a full swing and trying to hit the ball out of the stadium

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":1l3sdi64 said:
Yeah I realize there is more than batting average. Just throwing one stat out there that Ive always kept an eye on. When I was a kid batting average and slugging % was pretty much all you looked at on a baseball card. Now there's all kinds.
Anyways yes he stinks. Swings 150% at breaking balls out of the zone even with 2 strikes. No change in his approach, just swinging for the fences. A real head scratcher. Dunno whatever happened to choking up and swinging 75% instead of a full swing and trying to hit the ball out of the stadium
Was never a fan of "choking up", it never worked when I played. What worked was not swinging at pitches out of the zone, and not taking pitches down the middle of the plate, and try not to "guess" too much at the plate. Getting into hitters counts was my goal if possible. Sometimes the first pitch is the best one you are going to see, especially against a good pitcher, if it was in the area I liked it I swung.