2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

sutz

Reaction score
getnasty":ubwysass said:
Jean Jean the defensive machine!
And about to qualify for the batting title race. :2thumbs:

Made at least 3 awesome plays that saved the game for the M's. Valencia and Seags added a couple of good ones, too. The outfield is spoiling us, I think. They cover a ton of turf out there.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Nice win, Damn Astros are a very good team.

They said yeah.. M's will feast on them
They said, the AStros will be the weakest team for years.
They said they will be the cellar dwellers for years to come.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Holy cow what an absolutely awesome win tonight. Our best game of the year. Clutch hitting, gutsy relief and Segura may have saved the season in the 9th. Great clutch relief job by Gallardo too-2nd and 3rd, no outs and he got the groundballs to keep us in it. Unbelievable by Diaz and Vincent pitching 4 days in a row, both all guts right there.

Like Sutz mentioned, if we make the playoffs, this will be a game and hopefully series we look back on as a turning point.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
That was a big win tonight! HUGE! I have to agree that this win right here felt like a turning point. And now even if they drop tomorrow's game, the M's have positioned themselves to remain at .500 with Paxton on the hill Wednesday.

I'm going to put my Captain Obvious hat on for a second and just say that this upcoming 10 game homestand (in so many ways) feels very much like the crux upon which the destiny of the entire season hinges. If the M's do well (say take 7 out of 10) and are fairly firmly above .500 as the trade deadline approaches ... then I see DiPoto trying his absolute best to pull the trigger to get another starting pitcher -- to make the move with an eye at getting into the playoffs. I know that the Quintana deal has set a real high bar and made things difficult as far as potential trades go, but I just feel like he's going to make some sort of deal for starting pitching IF the club is above .500 and remains within 1-2 games of the Wild Card.

sutz

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2jich3ul said:
Holy cow what an absolutely awesome win tonight. Our best game of the year. Clutch hitting, gutsy relief and Segura may have saved the season in the 9th. Great clutch relief job by Gallardo too-2nd and 3rd, no outs and he got the groundballs to keep us in it. Unbelievable by Diaz and Vincent pitching 4 days in a row, both all guts right there.

Like Sutz mentioned, if we make the playoffs, this will be a game and hopefully series we look back on as a turning point.
Stood toe to toe with the best in the league and came away winners.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3ilrbzhf said:
That was a big win tonight! HUGE! I have to agree that this win right here felt like a turning point. And now even if they drop tomorrow's game, the M's have positioned themselves to remain at .500 with Paxton on the hill Wednesday.

I'm going to put my Captain Obvious hat on for a second and just say that this upcoming 10 game homestand (in so many ways) feels very much like the crux upon which the destiny of the entire season hinges. If the M's do well (say take 7 out of 10) and are fairly firmly above .500 as the trade deadline approaches ... then I see DiPoto trying his absolute best to pull the trigger to get another starting pitcher -- to make the move with an eye at getting into the playoffs. I know that the Quintana deal has set a real high bar and made things difficult as far as potential trades go, but I just feel like he's going to make some sort of deal for starting pitching IF the club is above .500 and remains within 1-2 games of the Wild Card.

Not gonna get a starter imo. They need pen help in the worst way. The first 4 have been money after the AS break,,,,and look at the work load. Eddie Diaz and Vincent 4 days in a row. That's not sustainable.

They both might be unavailable until the yankees series now.

sutz

Reaction score
gowazzu02":11l8ofm5 said:
Hawkscanner":11l8ofm5 said:

Not gonna get a starter imo. They need pen help in the worst way. The first 4 have been money after the AS break,,,,and look at the work load. Eddie Diaz and Vincent 4 days in a row. That's not sustainable.

Hmmm, one hand washes the other. We need 1 or 2 more starters that can go 6-7 innings on a consistant basis. Relying on rookies and near-rookies like Moore, Gaviglio, and Bergman is pretty dicey. Dipoto has already said they're looking for arms, including potential starters. That will help keep the bullpen fresh, assuming we can keep up the offensive production and defensive skills.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
sutz":kvity3lm said:
gowazzu02":kvity3lm said:
Hawkscanner":kvity3lm said:

Hmmm, one hand washes the other. We need 1 or 2 more starters that can go 6-7 innings on a consistant basis. Relying on rookies and near-rookies like Moore, Gaviglio, and Bergman is pretty dicey. Dipoto has already said they're looking for arms, including potential starters. That will help keep the bullpen fresh, assuming we can keep up the offensive production and defensive skills.

Here you be ...
[tweet]https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/887364294563725313[/tweet]

So, DiPoto IS in fact looking. The big question of course is WHO and HOW MUCH? DiPoto wants guys who are controllable beyond the 2017 season, so that limits the market and definitely drives up the price.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
So, I just got back from doing errands and was listening to 950 KJR in the car. Softy had Bill Krueger on and he asked him about potential trade targets. Krueger threw out a name that (if he were available) could potentially be fairly intriguing -- Justin Verlander. Now at first, I REALLY pushed back on that idea, as you're talking about a 34 year old pitcher who is basically a legend in Detroit and is owed a TON of money. Here is his contract details according to Sportrac ...

2017 (age 34) ... $28 million
2018 (age 35) ... $28 million
2019 (age 36) ... $28 million
2020 (age 37) ... $22 million
http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/detroit-tigers/justin-verlander-310/

My first reaction was like, "No Way!" Then I stepped back and really started to think about it ... and thought to myself, "You know what, if Verlander were actually available, there's some merit to the idea of a trade there." Here's what I'm thinking ...

We already know that Drew Smyly is out (both for this season for next). He's not an option for next season. Iwakuma it's looking very doubtful that we're going to see him any time soon. We may have seen the last of him as well. So, this team is going to NEED not only a starting pitcher ... but someone with experience, not only for this season but also heading into next year as well. And what better than a guy who's a slam dunk future Hall of Famer ... and who's been fairly durable throughout his career? Verlander would be a heck of an asset if this team really wants to make a run at the playoffs.

Plus, the asking price isn't going to be the moon. The Tigers are going to be looking for some salary relief if they're looking to move on from him. The M's could potentially dangle an attractive piece like a Tyler O'Neil ... a young mid level pitching prospect (such as a Rob Whalen) and pair that with a salary dump of sorts on the M's part in adding in Yovani Gallardo.

I dunno guys. Thoughts?

sutz

Reaction score
I'm no expert on the business side of things, especially in baseball. I just remember hearing a brief interview with DiPoto. He may get some criticism from around here, but I think he's got got something on the ball. TBH, he's just getting started building this team but it seems like he may be on the right track.

Everybody knows what we need, of course, so we'll see how DiPo can do in the horse trading department. It certainly could make the difference come Aug/Sep and hopefully Oct. :)

Crizilla

Reaction score
Gavilgio has been middle of the plate all night so far. We should go after Sonny Gray

sutz

Reaction score
Helluva double play, Dyson to Seagar and beats the tagging Altuve going home.

:2thumbs:

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Tough loss but not unexpected w Gaviglio pitching. Huge game tomorrow w Paxton looking to win the series. Let's get the bats going again.

sutz

Reaction score
Helluvan outing for Pax. 7 strong, 7k's, 1 run. :2thumbs:

Let's hope the pen can hang on to it.

getnasty

Reaction score
If the M's want to make a serious push there gonna need another arm. Nice series win today though, just need to get through this tough stretch in good shape and we'll be set up Nice.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
sutz":nkm7gu9f said:
Helluvan outing for Pax. 7 strong, 7k's, 1 run. :2thumbs:

Let's hope the pen can hang on to it.

Absolutely. Paxton was DEALING today. Great outing from him ... and what an amazing play from Heredia there in the 8th!! That was a HUGE play in this game.

Great win today. Taking 2 of 3 games in Houston just feels like such an important psychological turning point for this team. Seeing the pitching match-ups heading into this series, it went pretty much the way I envisioned it.

Seriously, if you put that Astros offensive lineup side by side against the Mariners and go down the list ... the M's stack up very well against that club. The M's are absolutely on par with them. The only true difference between these 2 clubs -- is starting pitching.

This team is playing so very well right now. And now it's back home for a 10 game homestand that I contend is the biggest of the season. If this M's team ends up (say winning 7 out of 10) heading to the trade deadline ... then I definitely see JeDi (Jerry DiPoto) employing his force powers to pull off a deal for another starting pitcher or 2. These next 10 games IMO will be the fulcrum upon which the destiny of this season hinges.

Crizilla

Reaction score
if we take care of business against the yankees we will be in the 2nd wild card slot most likely. This is the time where ITS GETTIN SERIOUS FELLAS. I'm going to a game in August and I want PLAYOFF ATMOSPHERE