2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Someone tell me why we traded one of our better prospects for Marco Gonzales? He is yet to even make it 5 innings. I didn't understand the trade when it happened, and I still don't get it. At the time when we traded for him, did we think he was that much better than what we had in Gavilgio, Bergman and Moore? I'm not saying we should have stuck it out with those guys, but we should have gotten a starter that could help us win now.

Still plenty of game left.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":20h8xl0n said:
Someone tell me why we traded one of our better prospects for Marco Gonzales? He is yet to even make it 5 innings. I didn't understand the trade when it happened, and I still don't get it. At the time when we traded for him, did we think he was that much better than what we had in Gavilgio, Bergman and Moore? I'm not saying we should have stuck it out with those guys, but we should have gotten a starter that could help us win now.

DiPoto has a tendency to overvalue his trade targets. Not all, but some. Karns, Vogelbach, Gallardo, Gonzales are all great examples.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2qcle9my said:
Hawk-Lock":2qcle9my said:

DiPoto has a tendency to overvalue his trade targets. Not all, but some. Karns, Vogelbach, Gallardo, Gonzales are all great examples.

Very true unfortunately.

I don't ever want to see Gonzales pitch for the Mariners again. He is a classic AAAA pitcher and not major league quality. Evey outing has been a disaster.

Servais needs a quicker hook on all the SP from here on out. With Sept callups, we'll have plenty of reinforcements in the pen. We can't afford to spot the other team 5 runs every outing.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, that was pathetic. :34853_doh:

Some comments/questions...

1. Why is Segura still leading off? He's like 0 for August. He's dropped 50 BA points since the all-star break.

2. Gee, do you think that after 2 pathetic K's, maybe Haniger should have batted for Valencia in the 9th?

3. I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure the M's haven't won a game this year when they score less than 1 run.

4. Ramirez actually did well, just a couple of mistakes. The M's Felixed him.

:34853_doh:

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Cano looks like he doesn't care about baseball. Doesn't even look like he is trying. Good thing we signed him to a 10 year deal...

getnasty

Reaction score
This move should have been made 2 weeks ago when Paxton and Felix went down. Looks like he's been horrible since the all-star break but at least he gives us a hope for a better start.

Crizilla

Reaction score
they're close to being done. The pitching is just not there. I wouldn't expect anything special in a playoff series anyway

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Oh good the Angels get Justin Upton and the Astros got Verlander. Sooooo yeah. Astros already won the division. Angels just got better. Mariners stayed mediocre

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":18tvam68 said:
Oh good the Angels get Justin Upton and the Astros got Verlander. Sooooo yeah. Astros already won the division. Angels just got better. Mariners stayed mediocre

Astros gave up a few nice prospects but they got Detroit to pay $8mil a year to offset the massive salary. It's a shame Dipoto wasn’t able to pull of such a move.

I am curious and hopeful with Leake's start tomorrow. He's been very durable, having made at least 30 starts a year since '12. Hopefully he can rebound from the very poor second half he's had.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I really like the trade for Mike Leake, he is a great pitcher. He was the #2 guy behind Cueto for years in Cinci. He has the potential to be the #2 guy behind Paxton for the next few years. Yes I wish we acquired him a couple weeks ago, but maybe he wasn't on the market then. If he was, then that was a mistake by Dipoto not to go for him. Earlier in the year, he was one of the best pitchers in baseball, not sure what has happened to him the last month. Either way, I'm excited for him to join the rotation. Dipoto basically got a head start on an offseason priority. When we made the trade, one of the radio broadcasts was comparing him to Miley. Anyone who follows MLB (not the Mariners, but MLB), knows that Leake and Miley aren't even in the same category. Miley hasn't been good in years, and has been a back of the rotation starter. Leake is a guy who you can feel confident about when he takes the mound. I'm curious and excited to see what he can do tonight.

I'm not sure about the prospects Houston gave up, but I'm not sure we had the players to get Verlander. As bad as the M's have been, they still have some hope, but obviously they need to start winning now. Sweep the A's and then we will go from there. I think this move is more about next year than it is this year, if Dipoto truly wanted to win now he would have made a deal for someone like Leake a month ago.

sutz

Reaction score
Looks like Leake will fit right in. He has the go out and give up a couple of cheap runs in the first down.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
sutz":2wndj7ms said:
Looks like Leake will fit right in. He has the go out and give up a couple of cheap runs in the first down.

Leake pitched 7 strong innings and gave up only 2 runs and only walked 1 to get the win. Highly impressive. He's been consistent his entire career and is a great pickup for the next few seasons.

First time since July a Mariner starter has pitched 7 innings actually...isn't that just sad?

sutz

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2v49v7t6 said:
sutz":2v49v7t6 said:

Leake pitched 7 strong innings and gave up only 2 runs and only walked 1 to get the win. Highly impressive. He's been consistent his entire career and is a great pickup for the next few seasons.

First time since July a Mariner starter has pitched 7 innings actually...isn't that just sad?
Yeah, Leake turned it around well. Great outing. Overall, a decent game, though I my blood pressure could have used a couple of more runs for insurance. :)

Crizilla

Reaction score
>can't get a hit to win the game
>put pressure on other teams pitcher and catcher to win it for us

The Mariner way. We world series now.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Crizilla":31k3zsnv said:
>can't get a hit to win the game
>put pressure on other teams pitcher and catcher to win it for us

The Mariner way. We world series now.

Not complaining... although I desperately want to

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Sweep the A's, and then try to win both series against the Astros and Angels and we are right back in this. The problem is that the Twins are hot right now, we need them to slow down a little.