2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Well this was a game that sums up the year and this era:

Miranda had a no-hitter through 6, struck out 5, walked 6 with the score tied 1-1. (Walked the bases loaded in the 3rd, sac fly to score) Servais started the 7th with Pazos and Pagan likely due to 112 pitches for Miranda. Pazos and Pagan give up 2 runs and we lose 3-1, despite just 2 hits for Houston. Truly a creative and most Marineresque way to lose and to fall back under .500.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Ya, we finally get a few quality starts back to back and our offense goes back into hiding. This team is just out of sync, and I really think a lot of it is mental. M's need a Pete Carroll type leader. Servais is just a bore. The calm, cool, collected type only works if you're a mastermind at managing the game (Torre, Bochy, Francona, etc). I think we would have 4-5 more wins right now with McLendon.

Maddon lifted the Cubs curse, maybe he can lift ours too?

Angels take 2nd wild card spot it looks like. This upcoming series against them is theeee season.

sutz

Reaction score
Tough loss TBS. One would hope that by this time of year they could learn to beat playoff caliber teams.

Not yet, apparently.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Anytime you have bad starting pitching like we do, the season going to be a roller coaster. No different than an NFL team that has no reliable running game and a bad defense. You can't expect to outscore everyone each week.

Interesting move to go with Moore tonight and go with Leake tomorrow. I wonder if they are almost conceding this series with hopes of beating the Angels.

I think we stay in the race til the end, but fall short by no more than a few games. I haven't compared schedules, but I'd think Minnesota has the best chance as their division arguably has the two worst teams in the AL. A win tonight would be nice, hopefully the bats wake up.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
There's really no words anymore...you just endure the pain... decade after decade.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
You all know they are still only 3 games out of a WC spot right?Shocking I know...

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This upcoming series against the Angels is almost a must win.

The second wildcard sure adds hope and drama to the MLB season, but to be honest, none of the second wildcard teams are very good. There is a reason why no one is running away with it. I think most these teams are pretty average.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2c5v081r said:
You all know they are still only 3 games out of a WC spot right?Shocking I know...

3.5 back but 2 games under .500 with 6 teams ahead of us and we've lost 7 out of 10. It ain't happenin'.

They would need to be about 7 games over .500 to be in a competitive position at the end. Honestly, even if Paxton and Felix were healthy, they still wouldn't get there. The offensive production has sizzled, the bullpen not quite what it was and the defense has inexplicably been poor lately.

I'll still tune in and watch but I'm looking at who to keep and get rid of for next year.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1ivb45rq said:
IndyHawk":1ivb45rq said:

3.5 back but 2 games under .500 with 6 teams ahead of us and we've lost 7 out of 10. It ain't happenin'.

They would need to be about 7 games over .500 to be in a competitive position at the end. Honestly, even if Paxton and Felix were healthy, they still wouldn't get there. The offensive production has sizzled, the bullpen not quite what it was and the defense has inexplicably been poor lately.

I'll still tune in and watch but I'm looking at who to keep and get rid of for next year.

If we had Paxton and Felix I think we would make the playoffs. If they both came back tomorrow, I'd give us a 50% chance of making it from 3 GB. The offense looked bad against Houston, but we aced three really good starting pitchers. The bats will get back on track against the Angels who don't have much pitching.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Dang... Angie Mentink of ROOT sports has cancer. That's sad. Hope she's able to beat it. She looks to be in good spirits so that's a good start.

sutz

Reaction score
Good win tonight. Nice to break the Angels curse the M's seem to play under.

jpetty38

Reaction score
I'm kinda done with this current mariners roster, I rather be the worst team in baseball for awhile then year after year of around .500 baseball. This team has no fire, no passion and it shows they win just enough to keep you hopefully but never enough to prove they care. Cano, felix, all of them might as well be traded for farm, and a brighter future if anyone would take them for anything.

We have been cursed since 2001, 3 games out from the wildcard I think but I have zero hope they will pull within 1 game again, just to drop an easy string of games.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Not sure how much Cano and Felix could get you at this point. I don't think anyone will touch Felix with his injuries and his big contract. While Cano is still productive, he is going to be 35 in October and everyone knows he isn't worth what he is giong to get paid the last 5 years of his contract. I would assume if we traded him we would have to eat some of his contract.

The guys who we can get value for would be Cruz, Seager, Segura, a lot of the bullpen guys and Paxton. I personally don't see us parting ways with any of those guys with the exception to Cruz. At this point, I think it's pretty clear Dipoto is going to go for it again next year. All these trades we pulled off this season were guys who we can keep for at least the next couple years. I'm okay going for it next year. Solidify the rotation and we should make the playoffs next season, at least i hope.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":37pxce64 said:
West TX Hawk":37pxce64 said:
IndyHawk":37pxce64 said:

If we had Paxton and Felix I think we would make the playoffs. If they both came back tomorrow, I'd give us a 50% chance of making it from 3 GB. The offense looked bad against Houston, but we aced three really good starting pitchers. The bats will get back on track against the Angels who don't have much pitching.
Your if is granted as both are coming back next week.
I know there is a chance they can get in so I'm not killing this year yet.
This team with a decent staff can get real hot and anything can happen in the playoffs.
We have the hitting most of the time anyway.Healthy #1-2 starters would be huge
GO M's and HAWKS!!!

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Pax, Felix, Ramirez, Leake, Albers is a rotation I feel very confident in as long as the bats are consistent.

Casey Lawrence can go for sure though.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1du29g3x said:
Pax, Felix, Ramirez, Leake, Albers is a rotation I feel very confident in as long as the bats are consistent.

Casey Lawrence can go for sure though.

Pax and Felix = Prosise and Lacy.

One talented and always hurt and the other fat and past his prime.

Felix should've been traded at the deadline 2 years ago. We would've gotten excellent prospects that would help us now. Instead we're left with a #5 caliber pitcher who through injuries/poor conditioning is basically done. Color me not real enthused that he's coming back for maybe 2 starts to finish the season. The King's Court is adjourned.

I am very excited however about Leake and Albers' future here.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Felix will return on Thursday and Paxton the following day on Friday.