2018 Seahawks Depth Chart, Roster Moves, Cap Position

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
As this is a roster thread and there is lots of time until things start to happen it seems appropriate to offer some opinion on keeping or letting them go to FA each of the 37 FAs.

As well there are a few plyers on the roster that I'd consider trading if the price was right or even releasing when appropriate.

Exclusive Rights Free Agents (12)
OLB- 59- Josh Forrest (IR), - don't think he stays
OC- 53- Joey Hunt, - he's kept
DE- 67- Branden Jackson, - he's kept
OLB- 47- P.J. Dawson, - don't think he stays
DE- 99- Quinton Jefferson, - he's kept
DT- 98- Garrison Smith, - he's kept
LS- 69- Tyler Ott, - he's kept
RB- 21- J.D. McKissic, - he's kept
OT- 67- Tyrus Thompson (WI)> (IR), - don't think he stays
OLB- 48- Christian French (WI) > (IR), - he's kept, but fails to make the team
SS- 37- Jordan Simone (WI)> (IR), - don't think he stays
CB- 36- Akeem King (IR/PS), - don't think he stays

Restricted Free Agents (5)
OLB- 41- Dewey McDonald (IR), will not receive a tender but will be re-signed,
DE- 95- Dion Jordan, - tendered at original round,
CB- 28- Justin Coleman, - tendered at 2nd round,
RB- 39- Mike Davis, - will not receive a tender but will be re-signed
RB- 34- Thomas Rawls, - will not be re-signed

Unrestricted Free Agents (18)
TE- 88- Jimmy Graham, - will not be re-signed
LG- 78- Luke Joeckel, - will not be re-signed
RB- 27- Eddie Lacy, - will not be re-signed
DT- 91- Sheldon Richardson, will not be able to be kept w/o a franchise tag, probably not kept
FS- 30- Bradley McDougald, - will be re-signed
TE- 82- Luke Willson, - will be re-signed
OLB- 57- Michael Wilhoite, - will not be re-signed
WR- 10- Paul Richardson, - will not be re-signed
P/K- 7- Blair Walsh, - will not be re-signed
DE- 97 - Marcus Smith II, - will be re-signed
OG- 75- Oday Aboushi (IR), - will not be re-signed
OT- 73- Matt Tobin, - will not be re-signed
OLB- 52- Terrence Garvin, - will be re-signed
QB- 6- Austin Davis, - will not be re-signed
CB- 41- Byron Maxwell, - will be re-signed
CB- 35- DeShawn Shead, - will be re-signed
LB- 49- Kache Palacio, - will not be re-signed
OLB- 48- Jason Thompson, - will not be re-signed

I see the team keeping 16 ERFA, RFA, and UFA players but they will need to make some cap trades/or cap cuts to accomplish this as they only have $8.2 million of available cap after accounting for draft picks, PS $, injury money. Those players on the roster bubble/ trade bubble capwise are the usual suspects:

- Lane - cap savings pre-June 1 = $4.75 million. I suspect the team has shopped him and is still shopping him.
- Avril - cap savings pre-June 1 = $7.125 million less injury settlement if cut, this is sad b/c it was fluke injury.
- Bennett - cap savings pre-June 1 = $2.175 million, I remain doubtful he will be released or traded as his production was still solid despite injury.
- Ryan - cap savings pre-June 1 = $2.0 million
- Sherman - cap savings pre-June 1 = $11 million, but would only be traded, doubtful this would happen b/c of his injury.
- Thomas - cap savings pre-June 1 = $8.5 million, but would only be traded.

Pn'J are going to need to make some difficult decisions to keep the core of the team together and to refresh to roster.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/967158753874231296[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JessamynMcIntyr/status/967159192799797248[/tweet]

chris98251

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1cwfj3af said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/967158753874231296[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JessamynMcIntyr/status/967159192799797248[/tweet]

It is a slow time of year I guess, Baby Carroll officially coaching a group now though.

chris98251

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":pplnx07q said:
Carl Smith may or may not mean anything for the future. :3-1:

That's hard to say, Cable was an Assistant Head Coach, they may value him and know others in the league do as well and make the title harder to poach him and give him a bit of a salary bump.

Taking Cable as an example, was hired right away once let go by the Raiders, Bevell still unemployed no Assistant HC Title...........

original poster

Reaction score
This must be the longest time in the PCJS era that a roster move hasn’t taken place. Over 7 weeks I believe.

chris98251

Reaction score
original poster":1rcx9pmr said:
This must be the longest time in the PCJS era that a roster move hasn’t taken place. Over 7 weeks I believe.

I think it means one of two things, they don't want to over play and over pay and are waiting for the Market to be set.

They are waiting to cherry pick and see where trades and deals can be made to increase draft capital.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It is also a function of the team’s weak cap situation. Both of you are very right though, it has been a very long time since the last transaction, and they are waiting and watching for the market to be set both in terms of money and available talent. I’m sure as well there are many conversations going on where those conversations are allowed.

This situation will surely test JS’ patience as historically he prefers to continue to massage the roster by adding ncrememtally to try to improve the quality of the depth on the roster.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Yep, it’s certainly odd.

There must be somethings brewing for things to be this quiet.

This time of year is certainly frustrating for those watching who try to sus out patterns or relevant roster info.

This will be an extremely critical offseason for JS to keep a highly competitive group together.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is the longest period in the tenure of the team’s leadership by Pn’J that there hasn’t been a transaction.

original poster

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1l1tuneb said:
This is the longest period in the tenure of the team’s leadership by Pn’J that there hasn’t been a transaction.

By some way!

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
At this stage, you have to wonder is it b/c of the cap restriction or is there something significant in the works. For me I think the cap is what is holding the team back. This situation must genuinely upset JS as this is his time of the year to do his thing and his hands are tied behind his back. Last year’s moves are biting him on the rear and their ‘all in bet’ failed. There clearly was a lesson in that for him.

original poster

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1nel1uf4 said:
At this stage, you have to wonder is it b/c of the cap restriction or is there something significant in the works. For me I think the cap is what is holding the team back. This situation must genuinely upset JS as this is his time of the year to do his thing and his hands are tied behind his back. Last year’s moves are biting him on the rear and their ‘all in bet’ failed. There clearly was a lesson in that for him.

I disagree in honesty. I know we don't exactly have much cap at present but you can all but guarantee Jeremy Lane and Cliff Avril won't be on the roster very shortly. They can be in any deal they like in reality.

Plus, if they 'really, really' wanted a player they could just reduce the cap price in 2018 and take the hit in 2019/2020 when the cap is very healthy. It's not unusual to either front or back load a contract at all depending on cap situations year to year.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wait till the 14th, I think that's when we will start seeing movement.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suspect there is going to be more than one surprising roster move as the cap situation gets straightened out.

If so, JS and PC have elected to blow it up this year and the team will be re-tooling with no second day picks, unless some key pieces are traded away.