2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
avengerboater":pkl8l6y5 said:
TransGenderHawkFan":pkl8l6y5 said:
Hawk-Lock":pkl8l6y5 said:
That is a pretty big hit to the bullpen. Didn't get to watch a lot of the game yesterday, but it sounds like Leake pithced great. Would like to see Servais have a quicker leash with relievers who clearly don't have it. It was pretty apparent Nicasio didn't have it two days ago, and I'm guessing it was pretty clear Colome didn't have it yesterday.

What made it apparent that Nicasio didn't have it the other night?

Apparently, his swollen knee was the reason why he didn't throw his high heat two nights ago. According to the Seattle Times article detailing the moves, it caused Nicasio a lot of pain whenever he had to push off with his leg, which is every pitch, and that caused him to not have good control of his fastball. Thus, the reason why he was throwing a lot of his off speed stuff and nibbled around the edges of the strike zone. It kinda made sense, since some of us were wondering why he didn't mix in a high fast ball during those 3 hitters that led to his eventual demise.

This is a big blow to our bull pen, but according to Servais, it'll give other guys more playing time (ala Elias). We're getting Vincent back any day now, but he's not exactly clutch in high leverage situations, imo. Let's hope Nicasio and Altavilla come back soon, especially with Boston and NYY coming up. The Angels are no slouch, but they're kinda banged up right now.

Those pitches that were hit were well placed. That was just a case of a really good batter beating a really good pitch. Reminded me of Vlad Guerrero hitting pitches from his shoe laces.

Losing a pitch hurts, but none of us knew it at the time and the pitches he made were still top notch. I have a feeling that some of the comments are from boxscore browsers.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":22vwuhab said:
Sports Hernia":22vwuhab said:
I think they will be better without Nicasio and Altavilla.

This is nonsense. You don't lose two bullpen arms and get better.
Actually it’s not. When you lose subpar pitchers/players/coaches, a lot of times it’s addition by subtraction.
It’s not that hard to replace pitchers with 5.34 era’s, the minors are full of pitchers that can do that.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2gqkgnar said:
TransGenderHawkFan":2gqkgnar said:
Sports Hernia":2gqkgnar said:

Actually it’s not. When you lose subpar pitchers/players/coaches, a lot of times it’s addition by subtraction.
It’s not that hard to replace pitchers with 5.34 era’s, the minors are full of pitchers that can do that.

Yeah not sure why he thinks this concept is so ridiculous. Players going down with injuries and other players coming in and playing better and improving the team happens multiple times in every sport every year.

DJrmb

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2xz7uqrw said:
Sports Hernia":2xz7uqrw said:
TransGenderHawkFan":2xz7uqrw said:
Sports Hernia":2xz7uqrw said:

Yeah not sure why he thinks this concept is so ridiculous. Players going down with injuries and other players coming in and playing better and improving the team happens multiple times in every sport every year.
Uhh, because the two guys that are hurt are two of the better arms in the Mariners bullpen. Plus the Mariner's farm system is possibly the worst in all of baseball. You don't get better by losing Altavilla and Nicasio. Hopefully they aren't out long.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":14907o95 said:
Looks like “bad Felix” is back after a short vacation.
Well, we said we needed a bullpen day. Perhaps not surprising that Felix gives it to us.

Good inning from Elias.

Cruz goes yard. :mrgreen:

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3m4hfmjn said:
TransGenderHawkFan":3m4hfmjn said:
Sports Hernia":3m4hfmjn said:

Hello boxscore bandito.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":22050u1v said:
Sports Hernia":22050u1v said:
TransGenderHawkFan":22050u1v said:
Sports Hernia":22050u1v said:

What other players, guy?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":23530b7z said:
therealjohncarlson":23530b7z said:
Sports Hernia":23530b7z said:
TransGenderHawkFan":23530b7z said:

What other players, guy?

You made a general statement about how you pretty much don’t believe in addition by subtraction and I countered with a general point about how it totally makes sense in some circumstances . Didn’t say in this specific case it was true

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Best addition by subtraction I can remember in recent history was getting rid of that sidewinder..that was a huge addition.

sutz

Reaction score
Disappointing loss, to be sure. Felix looked lost again, and it was more than one inning. There was some bad luck involved, with the seeing eye singles and bloop flies to the dead triangle in short center/left. But he was not sharp at all.

The good part is that Elias got 4 strong innings. He bolstered his case to be on our roster last night. We knew we needed a chance for the bullpen to get some work. Mission accomplished, I guess.

The bats need to figure out how to not get hamstrung like they did. Snell wasn't as sharp as last time, but he still held us to one run.

Big game today. Hope Pax can bring it again.

Ruminator

Reaction score
sutz":3355n9f6 said:
Disappointing loss, to be sure. Felix looked lost again, and it was more than one inning. There was some bad luck involved, with the seeing eye singles and bloop flies to the dead triangle in short center/left. But he was not sharp at all.

The good part is that Elias got 4 strong innings. He bolstered his case to be on our roster last night. We knew we needed a chance for the bullpen to get some work. Mission accomplished, I guess.

The bats need to figure out how to not get hamstrung like they did. Snell wasn't as sharp as last time, but he still held us to one run.

If the next start by Felix isn't much better, to be very real and fair here, I may start to wonder if he would benefit from a couple weeks, or however long he might need, in the minors. Who would be promoted to the rotation if this happens, I wonder. But hoping he bounces back and dominates like he did in his prior outing -- at Safeco vs. Rays, holding them to just one run.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Bobblehead":115c8l0j said:
Best addition by subtraction I can remember in recent history was getting rid of that sidewinder..that was a huge addition.
LOL! Cishek!!! The mariners biggest enemy

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Ruminator":3j55yfdn said:
sutz":3j55yfdn said:

If the next start by Felix isn't much better, to be very real and fair here, I may start to wonder if he would benefit from a couple weeks, or however long he might need, in the minors. Who would be promoted to the rotation if this happens, I wonder. But hoping he bounces back and dominates like he did in his prior outing -- at Safeco vs. Rays, holding them to just one run.
Does Felix have options remaining?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The start before this one was 8 innings, 1 ER and 5K.

Maybe the reality is in between... Hernandez is a back of rotation guy, not front end.

sutz

Reaction score
Another nail-biter. But we should be used to it by now. Pax struggles early a bit, but finishes with a quality start, including 10K's.

Big bats came to play to day, 3 HR by Cruz, Seags, and Z. Some crazy D to pull it off. That throw to home by Hanniger after missing the catch was aces. Some great catches by Gamel in right.

I'm starting realize why Tampa traded Colome to us. Hope he can do better against other teams. :34853_tinfoil:

Nice to finish the road trip with a win.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":122gtv1r said:
Sports Hernia":122gtv1r said:
TransGenderHawkFan":122gtv1r said:
Sports Hernia":122gtv1r said:

Hello boxscore bandito.
I’m glad you’re not GM, while stats don’t always tell you the whole story they give you a pretty solid outline most of the time.

Those “good pitches” you claimed of Nicasio’s that got hit the other night were nowhere near the Vlad Guerrero shoetop homerun variety you claimed they were, that’s a severe reach, sorry.

So far Nicasio has looked like Jose Mesa, Mariners version.

But hey, if you want to think Nicasio is a great pitcher because he lights up a radar gun, and his high ERA do to some dumb bad luck, don’t let little ole’ me stop you.
:)