2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1svacbma said:
Best addition by subtraction I can remember in recent history was getting rid of that sidewinder..that was a huge addition.
Yep, can’t think of his name. I picture him but the name is escaping me.
He should have never been a closer.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":c7zccb0y said:
Bobblehead":c7zccb0y said:
Best addition by subtraction I can remember in recent history was getting rid of that sidewinder..that was a huge addition.
LOL! Cishek!!! The mariners biggest enemy
Yes that was his name!

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Ruminator":1lo8f802 said:
sutz":1lo8f802 said:
Disappointing loss, to be sure. Felix looked lost again, and it was more than one inning. There was some bad luck involved, with the seeing eye singles and bloop flies to the dead triangle in short center/left. But he was not sharp at all.

The good part is that Elias got 4 strong innings. He bolstered his case to be on our roster last night. We knew we needed a chance for the bullpen to get some work. Mission accomplished, I guess.

The bats need to figure out how to not get hamstrung like they did. Snell wasn't as sharp as last time, but he still held us to one run.

Big game today. Hope Pax can bring it again.

If the next start by Felix isn't much better, to be very real and fair here, I may start to wonder if he would benefit from a couple weeks, or however long he might need, in the minors. Who would be promoted to the rotation if this happens, I wonder. But hoping he bounces back and dominates like he did in his prior outing -- at Safeco vs. Rays, holding them to just one run.
I have a feeling he’s going to come down with a minor “baseball injury” real soon, and land on the DL so they can work out some of the flaws. I don’t see them sending down their former ace to the minors.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Threedee":94qu7c1q said:
Haha, the Rangers just lost on a balk.

Apparently the pitcher skipped coming to a complete stop in his movement on the mound before the actual delivery, hoping the batter wouldn't be as ready for it. Yes, rules are rules, but the umps giddily meeting up to say "Hey now, wasn't that a balk? We missed calling it when it when it happened but let's enforce the penalty anyway." I dunno about that.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Another series win. Tb was over .500 and then played us a bunch and under .500. Lol

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3lu40zfy said:
TransGenderHawkFan":3lu40zfy said:
therealjohncarlson":3lu40zfy said:
Sports Hernia":3lu40zfy said:
Actually it’s not. When you lose subpar pitchers/players/coaches, a lot of times it’s addition by subtraction.
It’s not that hard to replace pitchers with 5.34 era’s, the minors are full of pitchers that can do that.

Yeah not sure why he thinks this concept is so ridiculous. Players going down with injuries and other players coming in and playing better and improving the team happens multiple times in every sport every year.

What other players, guy?

You made a general statement about how you pretty much don’t believe in addition by subtraction and I countered with a general point about how it totally makes sense in some circumstances . Didn’t say in this specific case it was true

No, I made a statement in a baseball thread, about bullpen arms, and specifically the mariners bullpen. That is not a general statement.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":s0xsm5fr said:
therealjohncarlson":s0xsm5fr said:
TransGenderHawkFan":s0xsm5fr said:
therealjohncarlson":s0xsm5fr said:
Yeah not sure why he thinks this concept is so ridiculous. Players going down with injuries and other players coming in and playing better and improving the team happens multiple times in every sport every year.

What other players, guy?

You made a general statement about how you pretty much don’t believe in addition by subtraction and I countered with a general point about how it totally makes sense in some circumstances . Didn’t say in this specific case it was true

No, I made a statement in a baseball thread, about bullpen arms, and specifically the mariners bullpen. That is not a general statement.

“This is nonsense. You don't lose two bullpen arms and get better.”

If this isn’t a pretty damn general statement about how losing players affects your team I give up.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone just keeps arguing ad neuseum about something trivial and can’t admit they are wrong. :roll:

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1vlv99f6 said:
TransGenderHawkFan":1vlv99f6 said:
therealjohncarlson":1vlv99f6 said:
TransGenderHawkFan":1vlv99f6 said:
What other players, guy?

If this isn’t a pretty damn general statement about how losing players affects your team I give up.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone just keeps arguing ad neuseum about something trivial and can’t admit they are wrong. :roll:

I accept your apology

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":12v2rlj6 said:
Another day, another 1 run victory. I'd like to buy that 3rd base coach a beer. What a jack wagon. :lol:

Yeah, with as shallow as Haniger was it was a pretty dumb call.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":2pwh0ra6 said:
therealjohncarlson":2pwh0ra6 said:
TransGenderHawkFan":2pwh0ra6 said:
therealjohncarlson":2pwh0ra6 said:

I accept your apology

Move on, please

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It may be an idea with Felix to just turn him into a reliever for 1-3 innings?
It might get his velocity up as it has for others..I don't know what is in
AA/AAA that could be a better option or Kumo?I just do not see a trade
where we can get a TOR starter without hurting the team..
I would love to trade Cano off but who would do that?

sutz

Reaction score
Always great to beat the Angles. They're the one team I love to beat. :irishdrinkers:

Boomstick looks to be back for now. :2thumbs:

Nice to see Healy to get a dinger, too. Bullpen right on the money and Fast Eddy with a great save, leaving Trout in the on deck circle. :mrgreen:

CPHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3angadb5 said:
The start before this one was 8 innings, 1 ER and 5K.

Maybe the reality is in between... Hernandez is a back of rotation guy, not front end.

So hes good once every 8 starts. Awesome. Felix represents everything bad about the mariners, they only kept him to sell tickets. They could have gotten a ton in return if they just traded him 5-6 years ago, but instead they wanted to have "kings court," every 5 games.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah nice win, I was a little worried they would come out flat after the road trip.

I keep waiting for LeBlanc to regress but he hasn't. Boomstick looked great today.

avengerboater

Reaction score
Now, the million dollar question is what will the M's will do about Felix?

I'm a huge fan of Felix, but based on his post-game presser after Saturday's loss, I have a feeling he's either extremely delusional or just straight up too stubborn to admit his regression into a shell of who he once was.

If this franchise is at all serious about contending for a playoff spot this year, they have GOT to do something about Felix's struggles. As of right now, his performance doesn't qualify him to even be a 5th man on the rotation. Elias, Miranda, or even Erasmo (if healthy) have the potential to be better options. Granted, those three could perform equally as bad as Felix has been (minus the outlier of the home game vs. the Rays), but those three have much more upside to perform NOT as bad as him.

We are in the midst of one of the best seasons in franchise history, which doesn't happen very often as evident by having the honor of being the team with the longest playoff drought in U.S. major professional sports. If the front office piss away this chance by holding on to nostalgia and pretending that things will "right themselves" with Felix, then they are spitting in the faces of fans, players, and other team personnel.

They changed things around with Ichiro when he turned out to be over the hill. Let's see if they are willing or able to do the same for Felix.

Now, what I'm really hoping for is Felix to swallow his pride, accept himself for who he is today, work with what he has in his arsenal to maximize his abilities as a pitcher and help us (and himself) get into the playoffs!

Hell, LeBlanc maxes out at 88mph, Jamie Moyer did it for all those years, and there are a number of pitchers around the league who maxes out at 90mph on their fastballs....and yet not all of them are getting their pitches plastered like Felix has been.