2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think you guys are overvaluing the bunt. Sabermetrics show that sac bunts don't help. Very few situations are they helpful. The first link explains why bunting isn't being used in MLB anymore. The second link shows win expectancy for different situations. In that table, down 1, with runners on first and second with no outs is almost the same as down 1, with runners on second and third with 1 out. It also says that you are better off having a runner on first with no outs than a runner on second with 1 out. These are stats.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/163 ... todays-mlb

http://www.tangotiger.net/welist.html

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I know he's been kicked around a lot in this thread, but can we give some props to Felix? Seven innings, 2 ER, and 6 strikeouts against one of the best offenses in the AL.

getnasty

Reaction score
Wow somebody make a freaking play, what happend to the defense

Crizilla

Reaction score
and now the M's decide to play the worse defense of the season. 4 errors in first 3 innings.

Make that 5 errors now.

And just like that a 6 spot for Boston.

M's getting a wake up call "hey if youre going to compete for titles better make sure you're there 100% mentally".

Bobblehead

Reaction score
18 M's remind me of the 2k1 M's.. somehow, you know they are just going to win it.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Wow, what a comeback win. These games are huge for this Mariners team too because it's giving them a little taste of what's to come. Character building win tonight.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":qwxjfdoc said:
SoulfishHawk":qwxjfdoc said:
With that shift, it would be gravy for him to lay down a bunt imo
I remember seeing him try once or twice, but like was said, he sucks at it.

The modern game is all about stats and homers. It seems like not many players are interested in the team aspect. M's players talk about it in interviews, "moving the chain" they call it. But when push comes to shove, they get over agressive and swing for the fences, and strike out looking bad. Oh well.

Until hitters start laying down bunts and going with the pitch to the opposite field, the shift will continue, and I hate the switch. I know the numbers support it, but only because too many hitters are trying to pull the ball for power instead of getting safe hits and advancing runners. So many times it seems that they're getting safe hits on us right through spots where a player would be in a normal set.
Bunting is all about practice and the desire to do it.
If your heart isn’t into it your not going to get that bunt down.

avengerboater

Reaction score
Cray! Zee! Ass! Game!!!!!!!

Man, this game was all sorts of wild! I thought Pax showed up well and for some inexplicable reason or another, the M's defense decided to crap the bed in the top 3rd. FOUR friggen errors!!! At one point, they had Pax's final line as 6 runs-allowed but only 1 run earned. They later took the error on Mitch away and that resulted in Pax giving up 5 earned runs. Yikes. I genuinely felt bad for Pax and based on his facial expression as he walked off the field, he was pretty pissed off.

I'm kinda glad that it turned out this way for a few reasons:
1) The M's have been getting national attention for the last week now, and the spotlight is squarely upon them this weekend. Say what you will, but the hype does make the players play more tightly and since this is our first game against a "big, bad team", biggest fan turnout of the year, with the whole baseball world paying attention, I think it got to some of our players. You can see them somewhat folded for a couple of innings after the top 3rd. Which leads to...

2) After that shell shocked of a 3rd inning, the players kinda settled down and got out of their mental blocks of the big stage and simply started playing their style of ball again. That diving stop by Dee to get out of the top 7th was pure Superman-esque. They started becoming the scrappy, never-say-die M's that we're so used to. They get on base, scratch out hits, then come through at the end with a clutch double by Span!

3) Diaz got a taste of high pressure, high leverage situation against a top team, on a big stage, vs the heart of the order...and he got out of it. He was wild coming into the game, but settled down....basically a microcosm of what the entire team did in this game and this series.

I think this game could've been the catalyst for either one of two scenarios: the team getting bitch-slapped back to reality by the Sox and people start calling us pretenders or not good enough, thus spiraling down into a .500 season the rest of the way. Or (the way it turned out) the team realizing that they ARE good enough to hang with and beat the best teams in baseball with the spotlight shining squarely on them.

I have a feeling the team wih build on this game and it will catapult us into the rest of the season playing like we belong and hopefully make some history.

P.S. Seager is atrocious at the plate. He looks clueless at times, swings at bad pitches, or just takes stuff right down the middle for strikes. I've been waiting for him to snap out of his usual early-season slump, but I think this year is the year where we see "bad" Seager full time. And his error at 3rd today led to 3 more runs. Terrible.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Excellent comeback win! Give Servais credit for pinch hitting Span there, turned out to be the game winning move.

Gawd that “bad news bears” 3rd inning made me want punch walls though.

Thank goodness they came back, as this loss might have been a momentum changer be wrong way.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
avengerboater":3ubpavt6 said:
Cray! Zee! Ass! Game!!!!!!!

Man, this game was all sorts of wild! I thought Pax showed up well and for some inexplicable reason or another, the M's defense decided to crap the bed in the top 3rd. FOUR friggen errors!!! At one point, they had Pax's final line as 6 runs-allowed but only 1 run earned. They later took the error on Mitch away and that resulted in Pax giving up 5 earned runs. Yikes. I genuinely felt bad for Pax and based on his facial expression as he walked off the field, he was pretty pissed off.

I'm kinda glad that it turned out this way for a few reasons:
1) The M's have been getting national attention for the last week now, and the spotlight is squarely upon them this weekend. Say what you will, but the hype does make the players play more tightly and since this is our first game against a "big, bad team", biggest fan turnout of the year, with the whole baseball world paying attention, I think it got to some of our players. You can see them somewhat folded for a couple of innings after the top 3rd. Which leads to...

2) After that shell shocked of a 3rd inning, the players kinda settled down and got out of their mental blocks of the big stage and simply started playing their style of ball again. That diving stop by Dee to get out of the top 7th was pure Superman-esque. They started becoming the scrappy, never-say-die M's that we're so used to. They get on base, scratch out hits, then come through at the end with a clutch double by Span!

3) Diaz got a taste of high pressure, high leverage situation against a top team, on a big stage, vs the heart of the order...and he got out of it. He was wild coming into the game, but settled down....basically a microcosm of what the entire team did in this game and this series.

I think this game could've been the catalyst for either one of two scenarios: the team getting bitch-slapped back to reality by the Sox and people start calling us pretenders or not good enough, thus spiraling down into a .500 season the rest of the way. Or (the way it turned out) the team realizing that they ARE good enough to hang with and beat the best teams in baseball with the spotlight shining squarely on them.

I have a feeling the team wih build on this game and it will catapult us into the rest of the season playing like we belong and hopefully make some history.

P.S. Seager is atrocious at the plate. He looks clueless at times, swings at bad pitches, or just takes stuff right down the middle for strikes. I've been waiting for him to snap out of his usual early-season slump, but I think this year is the year where we see "bad" Seager full time. And his error at 3rd today led to 3 more runs. Terrible.

I can’t argue with your Seager rant, he does play great defense most of the time. He has 41 rbis which I find amazing as crappy as he’s looked at the plate. He needs to want to adjust to the shift and hit the ball the other way. He needs to get away from the dead pull every pitch mentality.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Whata the dance song they play in the mornings on 710 after the m's win?

Also has the trident been removed now since it was called out in preseason?

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1wdg8wl2 said:
Whata the dance song they play in the mornings on 710 after the m's win?

Also has the trident been removed now since it was called out in preseason?
Don’t know the song, but I think the trident hat is mainly a spring training hat.

avengerboater

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1sc7ortm said:
I can’t argue with your Seager rant, he does play great defense most of the time. He has 41 rbis which I find amazing as crappy as he’s looked at the plate. He needs to want to adjust to the shift and hit the ball the other way. He needs to get away from the dead pull every pitch mentality.

It's due to his HR's. His OPS is actually 2nd worst in the lineup at .695, behind only Dee (.664), which is terrible if you factor in the fact that Dee never hits home-runs or much more than singles and the games he's missed this year. Take those into account and Seager is statistically THE worst hitter in our everyday lineup. Yet, he's batting 5th and guys like Heredia, Gamel, Healy, Span, and even Zunino (.724 OPS) are batting way behind him.

There's been quite a few clutch situations this year where Seager has come up not only empty, but looking completely baffled at the plate.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
avengerboater":1snx9fui said:
Sports Hernia":1snx9fui said:

It's due to his HR's. His OPS is actually 2nd worst in the lineup at .695, behind only Dee (.664), which is terrible if you factor in the fact that Dee never hits home-runs or much more than singles and the games he's missed this year. Take those into account and Seager is statistically THE worst hitter in our everyday lineup. Yet, he's batting 5th and guys like Heredia, Gamel, Healy, Span, and even Zunino (.724 OPS) are batting way behind him.

There's been quite a few clutch situations this year where Seager has come up not only empty, but looking completely baffled at the plate.
I’m all for dropping him in the lineup until he learns to hit the ball the other way.