2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Ruminator

Reaction score
If Ms take 2 of 4 vs. BoSox, I think most of us would be pretty happy. If we take any more than that, holy crap! However the series plays out, get ready for a lot more runners crossing home plate.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
We need to win some series against the Red Sox, Yankees and Astros. The Astros have a pretty cake schedule the rest of the season aside from the games they play against us.

Chapow

Reaction score
It's pretty amazing and shocking how under the radar and, apparently, underrated Jean Segura is. He is literally one of the best players in MLB and I barely ever hear anyone mention him. The guy is hitting .347, has the most hits in the league, and is top 10 in most offensive stats and top 20 in the ones he's not top 10.

Please don't take this as trying to take something away from Haniger, I really don't mean it that way. Haniger has absolutely earned all the credit he's getting for everything he's done, but Haniger would have a lot less RBI's if it wasn't for Segura constantly getting on base.

I dunno. For some reason I just feel like Segura is not getting even remotely the love that some of the other guys are getting and I just can't for the life of me understand why.

Chapow

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":vmwcnnes said:
We need to win some series against the Red Sox, Yankees and Astros. The Astros have a pretty cake schedule the rest of the season aside from the games they play against us.

If the M's can go .500 against the Red Sox, Yankees, and Astros we're probably going to be in awfully good shape. They might not be in 1st place anymore, but they'll still be right on the Astros heels. Of course, everyone is just assuming the Astros are just going to tear right through all these teams on their schedule and rack up the wins, but they still have to play the games and you never know what could happen.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Chapow":2iu81a1p said:
It's pretty amazing and shocking how under the radar and, apparently, underrated Jean Segura is. He is literally one of the best players in MLB and I barely ever hear anyone mention him. The guy is hitting .347, has the most hits in the league, and is top 10 in most offensive stats and top 20 in the ones he's not top 10.

Please don't take this as trying to take something away from Haniger, I really don't mean it that way. Haniger has absolutely earned all the credit he's getting for everything he's done, but Haniger would have a lot less RBI's if it wasn't for Segura constantly getting on base.

I dunno. For some reason I just feel like Segura is not getting even remotely the love that some of the other guys are getting and I just can't for the life of me understand why.

Batting .347 is ridiculously good, and Segura isn't just a one trick pony who whacks singles. He's had a fair number of doubles and RBIs.

Chapow

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":t5s1bgx7 said:
Batting .347 is ridiculously good, and Segura isn't just a one trick pony who whacks singles. He's had a fair number of doubles and RBIs.

Yep. Tied for 7th in the league for doubles, tied for 10th in the league for RBI's. The only Mariner with more RBI's is Haniger.

avengerboater

Reaction score
Segura and Haniger are the best kept secrets in MLB right now. Nobody gives them any credit nor recognition, and I kinda like it that way. Teams keep running on Haniger's arm, no matter how many times they get gunned down. Nobody intentionally walks Haniger nor Segura, even though Haniger's 2nd in MLB RBI and Segura's tops in hits and avg. If I were the oppo manager, I'd rather take my chances with Cruz, even though he can blast one outta the park.

Now, after last night's euphoric walk-off, we have to come back down to Earth and face the reality of a Felix-start game. Sigh. I never thought I'd see the day where I dread having Felix on the mound more than any of the other 4 pitchers in the rotation.

Here's to Felix pitching to his strengths (mixing up off-speed stuff) instead of his nostalgia/weakness (fastball). :irishdrinkers:

Let's get a win, Felix!!!!!!!!!

sutz

Reaction score
Segura's problem is that there are several great SS around the league that get more press.

IIRC, they were quoting a stat the other night where the Segura/Hanny connnection generates the most runs around the league. Hanny has hit Segura in almost 20 times already this year. Pretty amazing.

So, basically, Segura is in a contest (thinking of the AS game) with several other guys for one spot, where Hanny is competing with a few guys for one of 3 spots. Beyond Trout, I'm not sure there are many OF I'd take over Hanny.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Over/Under 4 ER's given up by Felix tonight?

I'm hoping he is up for the challenge, but also wouldn't shock me if he got hammered. If he fails tonight got to think Dipoto has to contemplate giving Elias or someone else a try as the fifth starter. Divish told my dad that Felix just doesn't have the great work ethic like a lot of the guys around the league. His entire life he has been the best whenever he has taken the field. Hard to tell a guy to work for it when he is into his 30's when all he had to do was show up in the past.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3nvkraxz said:

I'm hoping he is up for the challenge, but also wouldn't shock me if he got hammered. If he fails tonight got to think Dipoto has to contemplate giving Elias or someone else a try as the fifth starter. Divish told my dad that Felix just doesn't have the great work ethic like a lot of the guys around the league. His entire life he has been the best whenever he has taken the field. Hard to tell a guy to work for it when he is into his 30's when all he had to do was show up in the past.

I think he had to do a little bit more than "show up in the past" but point taken. Hard to change deep rooted habits when you've done one thing your entire life.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2g9f9oru said:

That's how you lose 8 mph off of your fastball.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Very solid outing by Felix tonight against probably the best offense in baseball. Gave us a chance, hopefully they can pull it out.

Kyle Seager continues to play outstanding defense. He should be in line for his 2nd gold glove if he continues playing like this.

Let's go boys, score some runs!

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
You must have Seager bunt at that point in the game. He is hitting .230 and you need to move the runners. Piss poor management tonight.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Small ball is ok in the 5th inning but not the 9th inning, I guess. But then again I don't think I've ever seen Seager sac bunt.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Yeah, I can't really get behind the way that the bottom of the 9th was handled. Hanniger and a pinch runner on first, no outs, Seager at the plate hitting .230 and you DON'T sac bunt to move the runners over and get rid of the double play groundball?

Awful management there IMO.