28-0, 14-0, 20-0, 9-0 and 31-0.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Bobblehead":8zqms0fe said:
olyfan63":8zqms0fe said:
Bobblehead":8zqms0fe said:
We need a motivator coach, not that Pete isn't one, but some playbook thumping preacher coach who will put fire and brimstone under their arses before every game.

This is just dumb. Not even a factor.

We need game plans that attacks our opponents weaknesses.
Pete has plenty of rah rah already and there is no advantage to one style over another.
How do you explain "steady Eddie" Ron Rivera having the Panther's so ready to play?
See: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports ... 33830.html
Or do you give credit to Cam Newton's emotional leadership?
--snip--

Just being facetious.

Fair enough.

There are so many styles of coaches interacting with players that can be highly successful. In my playing days, the absolute worst coaches were Lombardi wanna-be's who copied his abusive syntax towards players without understanding his substance. Egomaniac narcissists. Pete's is so amazing and innovative and I consider him to be working his way into the all-time elite of coaches, with John Wooden, Bill Walsh, and people of that caliber.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2jt03m56 said:
kearly":2jt03m56 said:
The one criticism I have for Pete is that his record has shown that Seattle is not a very good team at planning for strange or unusual game situations. This is the one area that I think Bill Belichick separates himself from Pete. Granted, the Pats don't play a ton of road playoff games, but they always looked prepared when they did.

It's not strange and unusual situations, it's Pete's philosophy of not worrying about what other teams do. He's arrogant and confident that his players are better than your players.

And against bad teams, that mentality works. But in the playoffs? My thread is proof that that mentality doesn't work, in each road playoff game Pete and his coordinators have had to change gameplans based on that failed philosophy.

Again pointing to Belicheat who has the utmost respect for his opponents and thus has 100 different gameplans and schemes depending on his opponents. Which is why the Patriots are the Patriots.............running 30 times in one game, and not running until the 3rd quarter in others.

Pete doesn't do that, he just sticks his head in the sand, says we're better and doesn't change.......................until he HAS to. Which is in the 2nd half when we're behind.

Why not come out and throw the ball all over the place with dizzying pass plays, misdirection, etc? Nope, let's just run, run, pass and punt for two wasted quarters until Pete lets Russell take over. It's arrogance, pure and simple.

That pretty well nails it, especially the bolded parts.
Pete DOES do soul-searching and DOES change over time (that's how he became the Pete he is today), so we can only hope that this season spurs him to adjust his game-planning philosophy to be "intelligent" instead of "arrogant".

Bottom line is Pete underestimated Carolina going into this game, disrespected Carolina's offense and their ability to score (thus requiring an offensive shootout game plan, not a defensive slugfest gameplan), and underestimated the matchup disadvantage his Offensive Line would be at against Carolina's excellent Defensive Line and front 7.

If Carolina defensive players drop those 2 picks instead of catch them, very possible the Seahawks win. Maybe it's for the best; now Pete is forced by reality to do the soul-searching, and, we hope, change his philosophy from one of "arrogance" to instead one of "confidence, but with RESPECT" for the the opponent.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sc85sis":2bcedti3 said:
You haven't been paying attention. Pete has said multiple times he wants better starts. His comments about winning in the fourth quarter are about finishing the game out and that's something every coach preaches.

I've heard him say it, but what's happening on the field is telling a different story.

So either his message isn't getting through, or he's placating everyone and continuing to do the same things with the schemes and preparation.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":217ry4ag said:
sc85sis":217ry4ag said:
You haven't been paying attention. Pete has said multiple times he wants better starts. His comments about winning in the fourth quarter are about finishing the game out and that's something every coach preaches.

I've heard him say it, but what's happening on the field is telling a different story.

So either his message isn't getting through, or he's placating everyone and continuing to do the same things with the schemes and preparation.

Again... there are plenty of examples of when the team has come out to a fast start. So obviously these are not the same things with the same schemes and preparation.

It is very possible that in the cases you've outlined, PC's gameplanning just wasn't good enough. It happens to all coaches and teams, including those Pat's teams.