49ers bench Colin Kaepernick, Gabbert era begins

Halea41

Reaction score
I think you guys over-exaggerate Kaepernick's ineptitude a little. This is a quarterback that has put up better numbers the previous 2 1/2 years than most young quarterback in the league, including Cam Newton who's up for the MVP this season despite having even more mediocre numbers than Kap. His numbers might even be comparable to -- get ready for this -- Russell Wilson. check this out:

2012: 1824 passing yards, 98.1 passer rating. Single-handedly dismantled the packers and falcons, and nearly single-handedly beat the ravens in the Super Bowl (303 passing yards, 62 rushing yards, 2 TDs...better numbers than Wilson the following year).

2013: 3200 passing yards, 93 passer rating (remember that 86 is considered an average passer rating). Two road playoff victories, one in the frozen tundra of green bay against the Rodgers, and another in the hostile environment of Carolina. Niners defese was good, but not lights out like Seattle's. Kap was clearly a big part of those victories. Then off to Seattle. Let's be real here, Kap was the only reason the Niners were a pass away from advancing to the Super Bowl. He got virtually no help from Gore as Gore only ran for 14 yards. He had to pass against the best secondary in football history with no running game.

2014: week 1 - week 12 (70% of the season) -- 1645 passing yards, 92 passer rating, threw at least 1 TD for some eight or nine straight games. In the weeks leading up to week 13, Kap was having the best season of his career. He was even putting up better numbers than Russell Wilson. Then, the team-wide collapse. They couldn't block, they led the league in dropped passes, Roman's playbook became suspect, and it was just bad all around. Yes, Kap had some blame too, but the internal squabble within the front office and the coaches was clearly affecting the team chemistry. That's not all on Kaepernick.

Overall 2014 Stats: 3400 passing yards, 87 passer rating (still average numbers relative to the dysfunctional state of the franchise)

2015: There's no denying that he's had a horrible season so far. The numbers prove it and even the eye test proves. However, I think much of that is a carry over from how the season ended last year, as well as this negative vibe that's been placed over kap's head by his own Bay Area media, as well as select national media, the moment he became a starter. A lot of that can be put on Kap in the way he portrayed himself and his contempt towards the media. But I think the nitpicking of his game has really made him self-conscious to the point that he's second-guessing everything he does and can't function like he used to. Simply put, I don't think his problems now is so much ability. We've seen him make plays. We've seen him stand in the pocket and throw bullets through tight windows consistently. We've seen him go through progression when he has time. In face, it's physically impossible to consistently throw for over 3000 yards by eye-balling one receiver. We've seen him single-handedly win games. We have empirical evidence of that. I think his problem is just basically lack of confidence. I think he's a mental midget and folds in the face of adversity, which is sad because this is a more than capable quarterback when he's all there.

chris98251

Reaction score
Halea41":22rrzhto said:
I think you guys over-exaggerate Kaepernick's ineptitude a little. This is a quarterback that has put up better numbers the previous 2 1/2 years than most young quarterback in the league, including Cam Newton who's up for the MVP this season despite having even more mediocre numbers than Kap. His numbers might even be comparable to -- get ready for this -- Russell Wilson. check this out:

2012: 1824 passing yards, 98.1 passer rating. Single-handedly dismantled the packers and falcons, and nearly single-handedly beat the ravens in the Super Bowl (303 passing yards, 62 rushing yards, 2 TDs...better numbers than Wilson the following year).

2013: 3200 passing yards, 93 passer rating (remember that 86 is considered an average passer rating). Two road playoff victories, one in the frozen tundra of green bay against the Rodgers, and another in the hostile environment of Carolina. Niners defese was good, but not lights out like Seattle's. Kap was clearly a big part of those victories. Then off to Seattle. Let's be real here, Kap was the only reason the Niners were a pass away from advancing to the Super Bowl. He got virtually no help from Gore as Gore only ran for 14 yards. He had to pass against the best secondary in football history with no running game.

2014: week 1 - week 12 (70% of the season) -- 1645 passing yards, 92 passer rating, threw at least 1 TD for some eight or nine straight games. In the weeks leading up to week 13, Kap was having the best season of his career. He was even putting up better numbers than Russell Wilson. Then, the team-wide collapse. They couldn't block, they led the league in dropped passes, Roman's playbook became suspect, and it was just bad all around. Yes, Kap had some blame too, but the internal squabble within the front office and the coaches was clearly affecting the team chemistry. That's not all on Kaepernick.

Overall 2014 Stats: 3400 passing yards, 87 passer rating (still average numbers relative to the dysfunctional state of the franchise)

2015: There's no denying that he's had a horrible season so far. The numbers prove it and even the eye test proves. However, I think much of that is a carry over from how the season ended last year, as well as this negative vibe that's been placed over kap's head by his own Bay Area media, as well as select national media, the moment he became a starter. A lot of that can be put on Kap in the way he portrayed himself and his contempt towards the media. But I think the nitpicking of his game has really made him self-conscious to the point that he's second-guessing everything he does and can't function like he used to. Simply put, I don't think his problems now is so much ability. We've seen him make plays. We've seen him stand in the pocket and throw bullets through tight windows consistently. We've seen him go through progression when he has time. In face, it's physically impossible to consistently throw for over 3000 yards by eye-balling one receiver. We've seen him single-handedly win games. We have empirical evidence of that. I think his problem is just basically lack of confidence. I think he's a mental midget and folds in the face of adversity, which is sad because this is a more than capable quarterback when he's all there.

AP468843153097 7

Happy

Reaction score
The 49ers new starting Quarterback:

20120810 ajw sd9 114 extra large

:177692:

Laloosh

Reaction score
Halea41":3uatzhn0 said:

Nobody is going to say that Kaepernick is slow or has no velocity on his passes. He's had some really nice games. Then again, he used to have a top 5 (maybe top 2 or 3) offensive line (see 2012 and 2013). Outside of Seattle and to a lesser extent, Carolina, teams simply didn't have an answer for his speed initially and it really caught some of them off-guard (see Green Bay). So yes, he's had some really nice games. How many TDs did he have against that Green Bay team at home in Santa Clara? He can't handle playing behind a bad offensive line which makes him worse than -- get ready for this -- Russell Wilson. check that out

Who kisses their own freaking bicep?! I agree, he's "a mental midget that folds in the face of adversity".

Probably not the type of guy anyone wants as the face of the franchise, much less a leader in the locker room.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":3aip58jw said:
Halea41":3aip58jw said:

Nobody is going to say that Kaepernick is slow or has no velocity on his passes. He's had some really nice games. Then again, he used to have a top 5 (maybe top 2 or 3) offensive line (see 2012 and 2013). Outside of Seattle and to a lesser extent, Carolina, teams simply didn't have an answer for his speed initially and it really caught some of them off-guard (see Green Bay). So yes, he's had some really nice games. How many TDs did he have against that Green Bay team at home in Santa Clara? He can't handle playing behind a bad offensive line which makes him worse than -- get ready for this -- Russell Wilson. check that out

Who kisses their own freaking bicep?! I agree, he's "a mental midget that folds in the face of adversity".

Probably not the type of guy anyone wants as the face of the franchise, much less a leader in the locker room.

I know you are quoting another poster, but the "mental midget" think so total BS.

Is he having trouble playing behind a bad O-Line? Obsoletely. It he playing shell-shocked right now? No question. Do I have reservations about him being an effective starter? Abso-freakin-lutely.

Mental Midget? Come on now.

Kissing Biceps? That is old and tired. He was kissing his tattoo after a national reporter made a comment comparing those tattoos to a San Quentin convict. It was an FU to those people who think that way about his Tattoos.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-news/43 ... ract-draft

Moreover, HE HASN'T DONE IT ONCE IN THE LAST TWO SEASONS.

Kaps biggest problem is that he's lost confidence in himself and lost trust in his receivers to be where they are supposed to be. He's taken to throwing the ball into the ground to avoid even worse plays. He's started airmailing passes 5 yards over a guys head. These are things he never did with any regularity.

Can he come back? Can he be the player he was? Can he be better than the player he was? I have no idea but my head says no.

None of that tho makes him a mental midget.

ringless

Reaction score
Marvin49":3968j5to said:
Laloosh":3968j5to said:
Halea41":3968j5to said:

I know you are quoting another poster, but the "mental midget" think so total BS.

Is he having trouble playing behind a bad O-Line? Obsoletely. It he playing shell-shocked right now? No question. Do I have reservations about him being an effective starter? Abso-freakin-lutely.

Kissing Biceps? That is old and tired. He was kissing his tattoo after a national reporter made a comment comparing those tattoos to a San Quentin convict. It was an FU to those people who think that way about his Tattoos.

Kaps biggest problem is that he's lost confidence in himself and lost trust in his receivers to be where they are supposed to be. He's taken to throwing the ball into the ground to avoid even worse plays. He's started airmailing passes 5 yards over a guys head. These are things he never did with any regularity.

Can he come back? Can he be the player he was? Can he be better than the player he was? I have no idea but my head says no.

I've stayed out of this whole thing. However there was one thing that always bothered me about Kap, and that was the way he took losses. Compared to lets say Wilson. Because that's who he gets compared against. Wilson would be upbeat and positive after a loss. One loss wouldn't define him. With Kap after a loss he didn't act like a leader. The QB has to be a leader and respected by his peers.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":1qk4afbu said:
Laloosh":1qk4afbu said:
Halea41":1qk4afbu said:

Hey, talk to your buddy from San Que... err, Santa Clara. He said it, I just agreed with him.

He was baited into kissing his bicep (which was obviously planned)? That's funny.

Was he baited into this?
With a photo of submerged cars in Houston, where the 49ers open the preseason, he posted on Instagram he posted this message: "I warned you the #7torms Coming !!! #Houston. Kaepernick's jersey number is 7.

Those natural disasters... too tempting to pass up even if it means making light of the suffering of others. #MentalMidget

[edit] I bet Gabbert's never been that stupid.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":2146uoe3 said:
Marvin49":2146uoe3 said:
Laloosh":2146uoe3 said:
Halea41":2146uoe3 said:

Hey, talk to your buddy from San Que... err, Santa Clara. He said it, I just agreed with him.

He was baited into kissing his bicep (which was obviously planned)? That's funny.

Was he baited into this?
With a photo of submerged cars in Houston, where the 49ers open the preseason, he posted on Instagram he posted this message: "I warned you the #7torms Coming !!! #Houston. Kaepernick's jersey number is 7.

Those natural disasters... too tempting to pass up even if it means making light of the suffering of others. #MentalMidget

1) Who said he was "baited". I explained why he did it. He did it for the very first time in 2012 after a long TD run against Miami. The article was published on Nov 30, 2012. The game vs Miami was on December 9th, 2012. That's a fact, not an opinion. It was done in regards to the criticisms of his Tattoos.

2) Holy Hell...seriously? He apologized for that tweet because he didn't realize the number of people who had been injured.

Kap problem isn't that he's arrogant. It's not that he's a mental midget. Every single coach who's working with him has dismissed that as BS. Kaps public persona issue is that he's simply goofy. Really goofy. As Ricardo Lockette once said, "he's really not cool". LOL. That's one of his best friends speaking there (and BTW, glad to hear his surgery went OK).

All I can say...at least he doesn't think the almighty is speaking to him directly and telling him not to sleep with his girlfriend. :D Yikes...did I just step over a line? :D

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":334yk527 said:
Laloosh":334yk527 said:
Halea41":334yk527 said:

I think he is a mental midget because in his first four years in the league, he did not think he needed to work on footwork, touch, throwing motion, making it past his first read, reading defenses or anything else QBs need to work on to be good. He then expected to be able to fix ALL of those issues in a six week period of one off season. He is now the equivalent of a fifth year rookie...and it shows.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Marvin you are not helping your argument by describing things you would expect a QB with mental limitations to be doing.

The QB position is one that inspite of physical limitations one can still succeed through thier ability to process the game plan, read defenses and make adjustments on the fly. Often refered to as cerebral ability.

With Kaep's given physical and athletic gifts if he had that cerebral ability he would likely be amazing.

It is the lack of that cerebral ability as compared to most successful NFL QB's that lsbels him as a mental midget and accurately so.

Phone post please excuse mistakes.

kearly

Reaction score
Marvin49":3771pcg9 said:
kearly":3771pcg9 said:
When I hear people saying "Blaine Gabbert era," that's when I know the "Jared Goff era" has officially begun.

Possible.

IF they are truly done with Kap (and I'm not 100% convinced they are), then my fear is that they are just good enough to get them out of the first round QB conversation.

If Kaep was a Harbaugh pick, then he's done in SF. If Kaep was a Baalke pick, then benching him is silly.

I suspect Kaep is the former. The contract Baalke awarded Kaep a couple years ago was about as non-committal as it gets.

Kaep hasn't changed, only his coaching and OL have changed but it's enough to think his future with the team is in great doubt. Kaep's "problems" won't be fixed by benching, and his replacement in Gabbert is an extremely terrible QB. Even if Gabbert were good, he wouldn't be able to salvage the season unless he ran the table and got some help from other teams. Starting Gabbert seems almost certainly to be a draft pick move, like the Colts sticking with Curtis Painter all year in 2011.

This is a decent QB class coming up. The Lions and Bears haven't tried too hard to hide their intentions of tanking. Looks like the 49ers are in on the race now as well.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":qthbcn9d said:
Laloosh":qthbcn9d said:

Was he baited into this?

1) Who said he was "baited". I explained why he did it. He did it for the very first time in 2012 after a long TD run against Miami. The article was published on Nov 30, 2012. The game vs Miami was on December 9th, 2012. That's a fact, not an opinion. It was done in regards to the criticisms of his Tattoos.

2) Holy Hell...seriously? He apologized for that tweet because he didn't realize the number of people who had been injured.

Kap problem isn't that he's arrogant. It's not that he's a mental midget. Every single coach who's working with him has dismissed that as BS. Kaps public persona issue is that he's simply goofy. Really goofy. As Ricardo Lockette once said, "he's really not cool". LOL. That's one of his best friends speaking there (and BTW, glad to hear his surgery went OK).

All I can say...at least he doesn't think the almighty is speaking to him directly and telling him not to sleep with his girlfriend. :D Yikes...did I just step over a line? :D

I'll leave it there, Marv. Thanks though :baityes:

In other news, I Googled "most expensive internet provider" and it came back with "Levi's Stadium".

NINEster

Reaction score
For the first time ever, I've started to agree more with Seahawk fans regarding Kap than disagree with them.

I can tolerate poor QB play to a good extent, but the post game conferences, the beats headphones, reports he's not warm/friendly with fans, lack of accountability, it's really tiring now. It never was very appealing, but the snowball effect has reached massive proportions now. I hate his press conference responses more than I ever did Harbaugh's vague crap and Wilson's over the top PC speak.

Had one nice year, went to the Bowl, let success get to his head. Actually thought improving his 40 time was important that first off season, lol.

Most frustrating aspect QB wise for me?

His complete lack of resilience. It's nauseating.

It's the one thing I'll give Wilson over Kap by the biggest margin. It's where Alex Smith owns him as well.

A lot of things make sense now.....was great when he started when he wasn't the official starter, so he could "let loose" and play.

It's very obvious to me that Kap is 100% limited by his very boom/bust confidence. I rewatched older games against Seattle....he LOOKS the same more or less as he does now, right until the point the ball is released and the throws would legitimately attack the Seahawk defense. As opposed to now where he is completely terrified to play against them or any good defense.

But if there was a switch in his head you could 100% control to lose fear, he would be a lot better.

I feel bad saying all of this because it's not entirely his fault, but at the same time I would have wanted a bit more out of him as well.

Largent80

Reaction score
Wow, in 2 years the 9ers have really and actually imploded. The same fans here are still denying the implosion.... :lol:

rlkats

Reaction score
Largent80":2ji0pmxl said:
Wow, in 2 years the 9ers have really and actually imploded. The same fans here are still denying the implosion.... :lol:

Um no were not. Actually we are completely in awe of the implosion.

How fun is it to watch Balke and York.

SuperMan28

Reaction score
I think the SEA fans from that headphone commercial are going to be replaced with Niner fans.

Jville

Reaction score
rlkats":hmlvozet said:
Largent80":hmlvozet said:

Um no were not. Actually we are completely in awe of the implosion.

How fun is it to watch Balke and York.

Their destructive politics are unbelievable.

I think most fans understand what is happening to the 49ers.

In many ways they have created a "Bully Ball" program.

Steve Berman on getting his 49ers credential pulled, breaking stories on his site, and much, much more >>> [urltargetblank]http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2015/11/06/tkshow-bay-area-sports-guy-steve-berman/[/urltargetblank]

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1kq5yuig said:
Scoff for Goff?

Goff should stay in school another year. He looks good against nobodies and looks lost against good teams. Seven picks in his last three games to go along with seven TDs. Just what the niners need.