49ers Fan Sues Seahawks

tom sawyer

Reaction score
So some wealthy baby is burning money to prove to everyone how big a whiner he can be. Classy move. ;)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Spounge84":848u2wwc said:
And he wants $50 million for it too?!
:49ersmall: $50 Million?, maybe I can sue the Whiners fans for building their new stadium with walkways that are too close to my ass, or, maybe for allowing dumbasses to join their cult...I could nail them for $10 bucks apiece....Hell yeah, I'd become a multi-millionaire overnight. :49ersmall:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2vx3iteb said:
Williams appears to have filed his suit on his own, without an attorney.

He who represents himself in court has a fool for a client.

Well in this case, no ambulance chasing Low-yer was dumb enough to file this one, so he's sticking out like a booger in a bowl of rice.

HansGruber

Reaction score
The "American Rule" generally protects the plaintiff or defendant from having to pay the other party's legal fees, with few exceptions. In WA State, one of the few exceptions is small claims cases. This idiot is actually smart enough to escalate the case to District Court by filing an unrealistic claim that exceeds $10,000..... BUT:

In WA State, award of legal fees can be requested by the prevailing party, and is determined by the Judge on a case-by-case basis. Judges don't like "Frivolous Litigation" or "Vexatious Litigants", and will sometimes award legal fees in order to punish the litigant for such behavior. It's not extremely common, but does happen.

As others have said, the Seahawks will respond and file a motion to dismiss based on frivolous litigation, and they will win. It will happen so quickly however that it's unlikely a judge would award legal fees. It doesn't cost much to file a response to complaint and motion to dismiss.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":34vdixu0 said:
Come on, guys, I know sarcasm is hard to read, but I thought that I went over-the-top and obvious enough not to need to tag it.

I'll remember this for next time.

:hmmmm:

hawknation2014

Reaction score
HansGruber":3357h02y said:
The "American Rule" generally protects the plaintiff or defendant from having to pay the other party's legal fees, with few exceptions. In WA State, one of the few exceptions is small claims cases. This idiot is actually smart enough to escalate the case to District Court by filing an unrealistic claim that exceeds $10,000..... BUT:

In WA State, award of legal fees can be requested by the prevailing party, and is determined by the Judge on a case-by-case basis. Judges don't like "Frivolous Litigation" or "Vexatious Litigants", and will sometimes award legal fees in order to punish the litigant for such behavior. It's not extremely common, but does happen.

As others have said, the Seahawks will respond and file a motion to dismiss based on frivolous litigation, and they will win. It will happen so quickly however that it's unlikely a judge would award legal fees. It doesn't cost much to file a response to complaint and motion to dismiss.

It was filed in federal court. There's diversity jurisdiction and federal subject matter.

HansGruber

Reaction score
hawknation2014":28p1ss9m said:
HansGruber":28p1ss9m said:

It was filed in federal court. There's diversity jurisdiction and federal subject matter.

Then there's about a zero percent chance that the Judge will award legal fees. Federal courts tend to stick even closer to the "American Rule".

However, there are no federal trade laws that require businesses to engage in interstate commerce. You can't even make a remotely legitimate argument to support the complaint, which is why no attorney would handle it. This is frivolous litigation and the federal courts tend to get impatient with that.

No chance it survives the motion to dismiss.

acbass

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2g6r95ua said:
Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

A private company can choose to sell its tickets to whoever it wants, provided that they are not discriminating based on a statutorily defined class. CA residents are not protected by statute. There is no law prohibiting this. There is no state action. This is a frivolous lawsuit that will be tossed out for failure to state a claim. I hope he gets hit with an anti-SLAPP motion and has to pay all of the Seahawks' attorneys' fees and court costs.

Ah, yes. The good ole' 12(b)(6) motion. Funny how it's 12 that's gonna put this all to rest, just like on the field.

253hawk

Reaction score
This guy supposedly has a 'girlfriend' in Canada; why didn't he just send her the money to buy the tickets? The practice is there to keep people from 45 other states from buying up gobs of tickets solely for profit. It's not every year that a team goes to the playoffs, let alone the league championship. It'd be a punch in the face to give priority to anyone other than the regional fan base of the home team.

I hope he wins and the judge awards him twelve dollars and twelve cents.

Polaris

Reaction score
I'm suprised this clown isn't suing for 49 million dollars. That at least would have some humor and symmetry to it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
A few facts that I didn't see mentioned in this thread:

The reason for Ticketmaster, the agency representing the Hawks and the NFL, restricting sales to credit card customers outside a defined region of the Northwest, western Canada, Hawaii, and Alaska, essentially Seahawk nation, was to prevent a 3rd party from scooping up a bunch of tickets then reselling them at a huge markup. It had nothing to do with packing the stadium with Seahawk fans, which was going to happen anyway.

It is a common practice, not limited to the Seahawks. Denver did the exact same thing last season for the AFC Championship game, restricting their sales to a handful of states in the Rocky Mountain region.

This action by Ticketmaster did not prevent this guy from attending the game. There was a multitude of other ticket vendors that were selling tickets to the NFCCG at market prices, such as Stub Hub, Razor Gator, and a number of others. Besides, if he was serious about attending the game, the price difference between what he was willing to pay at Ticketmaster and a vendor such at Stub Hub would be a minimal expense when compared to transportation, lodging, food and drinks, etc., that he would have had to incur had he chosen to attend the game.

Bottom line is that this guy doesn't have a leg to stand on and I suspect he's doing it just for the publicity he's already received from it.

Brahn

Reaction score
This guy was just paid by the Niners franchise to file this lawsuit to take the heat of the mug shot line forming near the rear of their practice facility.

Now serving #99... #99 we are ready for you..... can someone wake #99 up please he his passed out on his street cred again.