49ers likely to trade up for Benjamin, Evans , or Lee.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3bqrbytz said:
IndyHawk":3bqrbytz said:
Maybe I'm talking out of my...I just don't see how the 49ers got all this cap room to resign Boldin..Any other key FA's they have and have enough to sign all these draft picks..Even more so if they traded up for a high$$$ draft pick...

Assuming the new cap projections are correct, they currently have 11 million in room. It's because of a few things:

1) 9ers fans have resigned themselves to losing Iupati and either one or both of Whitner and Brown, the same way the team lost Goldson, Walker, Francois, and Sopoaga last year (Hawks fans believing they won't have to lose their guys they'd rather keep are the same way 9ers fans were last year; 9ers fans are just a year farther along in cap hell and have learned to be more circumspect due to the reality of it).

2) That leaves Aldon, Kaepernick, and Crabtree as potential "keeps." Aldon will play out this year and get the fifth year team option for being a first rounder since the new CBA. Kaep will likely play out this year and get franchised next year, which makes sense over an extension right now both from a salary and development perspective. Crabtree will most likely be allowed to hit FA next year.

3) The 9ers will likely have three of their biggest salaries coming off the books (or being restructured) in the next 12 months: Carlos Rogers (in the next few months), Frank Gore, and Justin Smith (both FAs after next year). Smith will likely be restructured. Rogers and Gore are gone after this year and next year.

4) Boldin is a much more accomplished player than Tate, but he's 33 years old so he's cheaper. The Seahawks have a blessing that is really ONLY a problem in terms of the cap in that basically all of their real talent is just entering its prime or before its prime. From a talent perspective that's awesome, from a cap perspective it's awful. The 9ers have talent much more spread out across age distributions, which is very preferable from a cap perspective, but not as good from a talent perspective (oddly, due to the cap it almost ends up being a wash).

5) Due to the new CBA signing draft picks isn't cost-prohibitive anymore. The 9ers have been planning for all of this by stockpiling picks, which due to the new CBA are more valuable than they used to be, particularly for top picks (due to the salary scale) and first round picks (due to the 5th year team option).

Long story short, the 9ers can basically do what they want this year. They've been planning for the future to varied success (VERY successful so far in replacing Goldson Sopoaga/Francois, not very succesful so far in replacing Walker), but the real gut punch from the cap won't come until after this upcoming season, and even that might not be that big of a hit, given the age distribution of the roster (if there is to be a problem, it will more likely be a talent problem than a cap problem).
Well I am certainly up to speed now..Thanks..

OP
OP
M

MikeHoncho7

Reaction score
WOW Kelvin Benjamin ran a 4.53 unofically. So m thinking once its official it'lll be more in the 4.58 range.
I dont know if any other players stock has fallen as much as Benjamins with this 40.
It was being reported that he ran in the mid to high 4.35-39. So Him running a 4.6 practically is a huge blow for him.

Mike Evans ran a 4.47u so if it stays in the high 4.4 or even 4.5 range. I think its a plus for him.
His size is his biggest plus. Running a 4.5 with that size and stride can be deceiving.
He's gonna play a lot faster. Remember Josh Gordon ran a 4.5 And he can certainly take the top off defenses.

Odell Beckam ran a 4.31u thats a huge boost for him if he can stay in the mid 4.3 range.
Although I dont know if I would be too excited to draft him.
He really reminds me of AJ Jenkins. His size is identical.

Brandin Cooks had the Fastest time at 4.30u. So again a huge boost for him.

eager to see what Marqise Lee and Sammy watkins run.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
MikeHoncho7":31mt5yc3 said:
WOW Kelvin Benjamin ran a 4.53 unofically. So m thinking once its official it'lll be more in the 4.58 range.
I dont know if any other players stock has fallen as much as Benjamins with this 40.
It was being reported that he ran in the mid to high 4.35-39. So Him running a 4.6 practically is a huge blow for him.

Mike Evans ran a 4.47u so if it stays in the high 4.4 or even 4.5 range. I think its a plus for him.
His size is his biggest plus. Running a 4.5 with that size and stride can be deceiving.
He's gonna play a lot faster. Remember Josh Gordon ran a 4.5 And he can certainly take the top off defenses.

Odell Beckam ran a 4.31u thats a huge boost for him if he can stay in the mid 4.3 range.

KB ran a 4.59 and a 4.53 and he is HUGE! Those times are not going to be hurting his draft stock. In fact I think quite the opposite.

OP
OP
M

MikeHoncho7

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2mdlcls8 said:
MikeHoncho7":2mdlcls8 said:

KB ran a 4.59 and a 4.53 and he is HUGE! Those times are not going to be hurting his draft stock. In fact I think quite the opposite.

It was reported he could run a 4.3-4.4 range , so id say it is gonna hurt em .
Thats just not very fast, remember 4.53 and 4.59 unofficial.
yesterday several players ran 4.5 or under and when the official result came out
they were over 4.6

whens the last time a wr that ran over 4.6 was taken in te 1st??

rideaducati

Reaction score
Baalke needs all the picks he has because he has to rely quantity and luck to actually hit on his picks. It's either that or he'll put a third round talent's name in an envelope and draft him in the first round and call himself a genius. Baalke's drafts have been very questionable since McLoughan left.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":rhnpvy8c said:
Baalke needs all the picks he has because he has to rely quantity and luck to actually hit on his picks. It's either that or he'll put a third round talent's name in an envelope and draft him in the first round and call himself a genius. Baalke's drafts have been very questionable since McLoughan left.

Sigh.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
rideaducati":1ft6d5og said:
I would agree at this point. They had the luxury to take some risks, and the draft "experts" loved their draft because it included names they liked and would pick. Possibly why the draft experts aren't running pro teams.

That being said I don't think they need to trade up for a WR with the talent, and like largent mentioned it takes a couple, or more, for WR to develop and learn pro ball.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I really don't care too much about who the Niners or anyone else picks. They have the same amount of money to spend overall as everyone else regardless of their current and future cap situation. All the draft picks that other teams have have salaries attached to them as well whether they be smaller or not.

What is important in this era is the depth and the ability to get experience to that depth. PC and JS work that situation well every season. It is the only way to sustain some level of success and I cannot do anything but trust them to find that balance between present and future success. They have been doing it since day one.

Latest posts